Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If you're going to cheat and bribe, isn't it quite stupid to not at least have some documents to make up an excuse? I mean you don't get to be a director of a club of that size and not have brains.

It almost sounds as dumb, that it can't be true. I know we all want it to be true, but no documents at all? That just seems plain stupid or part of deliberate politics/a setup somehow.
So far, only Enriquez Negreira claims that there are no documents. Both his son and Barcelona FC claim that there are reports and videos.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
So far, only Enriquez Negreira claims that there are no documents. Both his son and Barcelona FC claim that there are reports and videos.
If Barcelona were paying referees, what are the odds that Real Madrid weren't doing something similar? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Any insights on why Real wouldn't make a statement? Possibly to not harm the super league alliance?
The news say this talk was held in La Liga offices mostly by chairmen from the clubs (i.e. Gil Marin from Atletico de Madrid). Real Madrid's representative was a lawyer who said had the will to find solutions but could not sign any official statement before asking the club's senior management.

Some Twitter Madrid accounts say it's a matter of timing.

big_jeffstar

I wonder why Madrid don’t want to get involved..

Someone should take a closer look at Nani’s red card when we played Madrid while they’re at it.. same referee that sent off John Terry when they played Barca.. I bet it’s absolutely rife all this kind of stuff

Don't Kill Bill

Here you are some.

Video of Negreira's son going with referees to Nou Camp in January 2015.

Do you think they get to keep the suit cases as well as the money in the cases?

I've always wondered about the etiquette on returns.

RoyH1

Because if they do the media (most of whom are pro-regionalism) will only look at it in terms of Madrid, the big bad Castillian powerhouse bullying poor Barsa when it is down. And then the debate would spiral out of control. right now it's much better for them that the focus is fixed on the legal process and the new findings.

On top of that, it's actually bad for their business if Barsa were to be severely sanctioned. They need the ying to their yang to keep La Liga even moderately relevant. And finally there is the the Super League collaboration.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That semi final vs Chelsea in 2009 springs to mind. One of the worst refereeing performances in a game where Barca should have been given 4 penalties against them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Any insights on why Real wouldn't make a statement? Possibly to not harm the super league alliance?
Because if they do the media (most of whom are pro-regionalism) will only look at it in terms of Madrid, the big bad Castillian powerhouse bullying poor Barsa when it is down. And then the debate would spiral out of control. right now it's much better for them that the focus is fixed on the legal process and the new findings.
No, it's really all about the Superleague. Florentino's biggest nightmare right now is Laporta being ousted and replaced by an anti-SL president. Bad enough what happened with Juventus already...

Strelok

What I've found so weird is how silent all this has been so far. Imagine what if United did the same thing. It'd probably be on every single front pages, all over the news, the social media with people all over the world hammering us to death.

But here it's like nothing happened. Probably this is simply too big and involve too many. The likes like Real, Uefa, Juve etc. could be seriously fecked. The whole integrity and prestige of the CL would also be questioned. Too many powerful people, too much money are at stake here. It's imo probably why this has been so quiet and the whole thing might be buried and forgotten soon.

GazTheLegend

What I've found so weird is how silent all this has been so far. Imagine what if United did the same thing. It'd probably be on every single front pages, all over the news, the social media with people all over the world hammering us to death.

But here it's like nothing happened. Probably this is simply too big and involve too many. The likes like Real, Uefa, Juve etc. could be seriously fecked. The integrity and prestige of the CL would also be questioned. Too many powerful people, too much money are at stake here. It's imo probably why this has been so quiet and the whole thing might be buried and forgotten soon.
I mean ... The Spanish government successfully buried the Fuentes case on Barcelona and allowed the evidence to be -destroyed-. They're probably thinking they can bury this one too.

They need relegated to the bottom division in Spain, and their titles stripped. Neither of these things will happen of course, they will pay their way out and it will be forgotten. But how could you as a fan of any other club in Spain ever trust the system -ever again -? Imagine as well, in regard to your first point that it turned out we'd been paying an offshore account owned by Howard Webb in the 2000's MILLIONS. It would tarnish everything we ever did.

Strelok

I mean ... The Spanish government successfully buried the Fuentes case on Barcelona and allowed the evidence to be -destroyed-. They're probably thinking they can bury this one too.
Tbh it's the first time I've heard of this. Maybe I'm too ignorant or they're simply too good at this ...

Wow I did some google search on that and it's fecking huge. If they could bury that no doubt they'll be able to bury all this.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

But here it's like nothing happened. Probably this is simply too big and involve too many. The likes like Real, Uefa, Juve etc. could be seriously fecked. The whole integrity and prestige of the CL would also be questioned. Too many powerful people, too much money are at stake here. It's imo probably why this has been so quiet and the whole thing might be buried and forgotten soon.
Yeah it's crazy how little outrage this has generated and how reluctant so many in the media are to give their takes.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Tata Martino's 'staff' denies Barça: "We had no referees' report".

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Guilty or not, this cannot be taken at face value. Who willingly incriminates themselves?
Nah, don't believe him. Some refs from that time already came out and admitted to being pressured to ref favourably to Barca:

Thanks to Andújar Oliver, a ref of the same period, we also know that Negreira´s son would call the refs in charge of the important games that happened in Camp Nou. He would ask them at which hotel they were staying and then would drive them personally to the stadium. He admits that, he being the refs VP son, he could not turn him down.

Yesterday, we learnt how on one of this trips, where Negreira´s son was driving the 4 refs (referee, two assistant referees and the fourth referee) to the game at Camp Nou he told them:

“You know: here, calm down. Barcelona has a lot at stake and you can´t hesitate. You are more than prepared. You know exactly what you have to do."
Video of Negreira's son accompanying refs to Camp Nou

It is worth remembering that, while doing all these, Negreira´s son admits being employed as an external consultant by Barca (as per his CV available on the net). It is worth remembering that he, and his father, got paid 7M€ by Barca during 18 years.

Do you think they get to keep the suit cases as well as the money in the cases?

I've always wondered about the etiquette on returns.
:lol::lol::lol:

GazTheLegend

Nah, don't believe him. Some refs from that time already came out and admitted to being pressured to ref favourably to Barca:

Thanks to Andújar Oliver, a ref of the same period, we also know that Negreira´s son would call the refs in charge of the important games that happened in Camp Nou. He would ask them at which hotel they were staying and then would drive them personally to the stadium. He admits that, he being the refs VP son, he could not turn him down.

Yesterday, we learnt how on one of this trips, where Negreira´s son was driving the 4 refs (referee, two assistant referees and the fourth referee) to the game at Camp Nou he told them:

“You know: here, calm down. Barcelona has a lot at stake and you can´t hesitate. You are more than prepared. You know exactly what you have to do."
Video of Negreira's son accompanying refs to Camp Nou

It is worth remembering that, while doing all these, Negreira´s son admits being employed as an external consultant by Barca (as per his CV available on the net). It is worth remembering that he, and his father, got paid 7M€ by Barca during 18 years.

:lol::lol::lol:
If we found out that Man City or Chelsea were doing this sort of thing there would genuinely be riots in Trafford. We rioted over the THOUGHT of the super league, and the Glazers milking us one last time. How could any Spanish supporter just accept "oh well, it's just the usual corruption" and sleep at night? The entire system would and should fall to pieces.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
If we found out that Man City or Chelsea were doing this sort of thing there would genuinely be riots in Trafford. We rioted over the THOUGHT of the super league, and the Glazers milking us one last time. How could any Spanish supporter just accept "oh well, it's just the usual corruption" and sleep at night? The entire system would and should fall to pieces.
No, there is no acceptance at all. Lendoiro, former Deportivo chairman, said the other day this was the worst news in Spanish football ever and a scandal with no precedents and most of the media (Catalan not so much) are going big about this. Debates on radio stations are heated and journalists and football personalities show caution but also indignation in their words.

arthurka

If you're going to cheat and bribe, isn't it quite stupid to not at least have some documents to make up an excuse? I mean you don't get to be a director of a club of that size and not have brains.

It almost sounds as dumb, that it can't be true. I know we all want it to be true, but no documents at all? That just seems plain stupid or part of deliberate politics/a setup somehow.
Don't leave a trace or something. Thing is if you have been doing shady shit for years and never been caught you tend to get sloppy.

Strelok

Yeah it's crazy how little outrage this has generated and how reluctant so many in the media are to give their takes.
Imo it's because how little this has been reported in the news or even social media. People can't be outraged at something they don't know. Tbh if I don't visit the caf I probably haven't even heard about this.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Negreira pleads early Alzheimer to avoid liability

Strelok

Negreira pleads early Alzheimer to avoid liability
Wow how convenient :lol:

Does this means this is ...the end of the whole thing? If he can't testify there's nothing to do more about I guess?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Does this means this is ...the end of the whole thing? If he can't testify there's nothing to do more about I guess?
I expect so and Spanish courts will order that all the blood bags are destroyed for good measure.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's being discussed in Spain quite a bit. El Mundo, one of the biggest newspapers, are the ones releasing documents every 2-3 days and putting it on their front page. El Chiringuito has dedicated quite a bit of time to it. I've seen more silence in the international press, for some reason.

Idxomer

That's why I don't take anything the Spanish achieved in the last 20 years in sports seriously.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

Javier Enriquez, the son, had a managerial role in the company during the years being investigated so he's still on the hook.

Dr. StrangeHate

This is where I am at as well. Surely Barca are not stupid enough to do this in plain sight almost.

Strelok

I expect so and Spanish courts will order that all the blood bags are destroyed for good measure.
Of course :lol:
It's being discussed in Spain quite a bit. El Mundo, one of the biggest newspapers, are the ones releasing documents every 2-3 days and putting it on their front page. El Chiringuito has dedicated quite a bit of time to it. I've seen more silence in the international press, for some reason.
Yeah for 'some' reason. Anyway it's good if this got some attention there.
Javier Enriquez, the son, had a managerial role in the company during the years being investigated so he's still on the hook.
I bet he'd develop some sort of Alzheimer soon too or they'd be more inventive and might come up with something better :lol:

At this rate all we can do is to have a big fecking laugh at the whole damned thing I guess :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I just don't get how this isn't making any more noise, it could potentially bring the whole system down.

Dr. StrangeHate

Don't Barca have a B team in one of the lower Spanish divisions. If this gets proven, they might go a division below their B team.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Maybe the refs were being paid for something else and it totally wasn't a bribe? Maybe after Barca stopped putting UNICEF on their kits they decided to find another humanitarian aid organisation to sponsor? But someone at the club made the honest mistake of misspelling "refugees" as "referees"?

I mean, on the face of it the evidence that they made secret payments to the ref committee could be seen as a bribe. But if you squint hard enough and stuff your fingers with cotton wool it could be something completely different?