Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Even after all that money spent, their best players over the two legs were still mostly from their academy (Gavi, Pedri and I thought Busquets was good last night as well. No idea if Araujo is from their academy or they signed him)

They should have accepted that they were going to be away from the limelight for a few years, and rebuilt their team with their academy players and some other younger signings, alongside a promising manager (I like what I see from Xavi's teams) rather than going down the route they did. They spent an insane amount of money, leveraged against future incomes of the club and what they got for the money spent is really not that impressive in my opinion.
Pedri is a signing, from Las Palmas. Araujo is a pseudo-signing (from Uruguay, but moved to the B team).

I think they could have signed a few less players, some of the signings were kinda pointless. Bellerín already left.

Cloud7

Pedri is a signing, from Las Palmas. Araujo is a pseudo-signing (from Uruguay, but moved to the B team).

I think they could have signed a few less players, some of the signings were kinda pointless. Bellerín already left.
Oh I thought Pedri was a youth product. My bad.

A lot of them do feel pointless.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This year's europe was definetly a step forward, but we still have a long way to go and to relearn how to compete in europe again. You can't delete 6-7 years of decline in just one year.
Having your 3 best defenders injured in the CL and 3 key players in the EL didn't help either of course. With our financial situation we could built a decent first XI, but our bench isn't obviously on that level.
Given the circumstances, it was a good set overall. The only thing where United was better, was in scoring. We could keep up with the intensity for most of the time (unthinkable in the last 5 years) and had a lot of good attacks but failed with the last pass, or bad shots. And the team needs to practice counter attacks. Yesterday, we failed some of them pathetically like a segunda division team.

Now, it's time to focus on the spanish double. The league is always the most honest and important title and we need to win it, being 8 points up to Madrid. And take the Copa too of course, but that will be more difficult watching Madrid's form right now. The Copa clasicos will depend on who will be available for us. We need Dembele to feed Lewandowski up front.
:lol:

Some of you Barca fans are mental. Imagine still being this sanctimonious after all your club have been revealed to have been doing for the past decade.

Lemoor

In order to win the league, you have to be better than everybody else over 38 games throughout the whole season. In a cup format, you can get eliminated in every tier because of a bad daily form, lots of injuries, bad referee decisions or simply bad luck when you hit the post and your opponent hits the net. It doesn't matter in a cup format, if you were the best team before and won every game 5-0, if you lose the next, you're out. The league forgives a few bad weeks, if you're still better overall. That's why a league's title is always the most honest one, because it rewards the best team throughout the whole season.
And do you think that this applies in any meaningful way to Barcelona's season in Europe? 2 wins over Viktoria, 2 draws against Inter and United and 4 losses against Bayern, United and Inter over the course of 5 months is not really similar to what you're describing.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
BREAKING NEWS: Referee Estrada Fernández files a criminal complaint against Negreira

"He states that he provided advisory services and arbitration monitoring "with the aim of guaranteeing an arbitration favorable to the interests of FC Barcelona".

Suedesi

It has nothing to do with it but have you noticed that Fabrizio Romano hasn't said a word about all this? (and he did with the Premier's statement about City).
He is not the only journalist who is ignoring the issue.
Calling Fabrizio Romano a journalist is going a bit too far :p

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If we removed owners from the equation altogether, the only clubs that could compete financially with United are Real Madrid and possibly Bayern.
Definitely Bayern. Their revenue is always top 3/top 5 and their commercial income is the highest of all clubs.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Compilation of additional background information:

---Barca are in the middle of a huge infraestructure remodelation called "Espai Barça". Works valued 1,500M€ plus interests. Now their credit rating is expected to drop and they don't have the funding yet, they planned to close it before 31 of March. Proof. They have already started demolishing part of the Camp Nou. Barca's own pictures

---There was a case of corruption scandal that involved Negreira and happened in the semifinals of the 1984 UEFA Cup between Anderlecht and Nottingham Forest. Former ref Albert Giménez said: "I am aware that they bought a referee, Guruzeta. Negreira was the linesman" Giménez's declaration. Constant Vanden Stock, president of Anderlecht admitted paying a million Belgian francs to the ref Gutuzeta. UEFA started an investigation and suspended the team for a year from European competitions. The main ref Gutuzeta died in a car accident and never testified. Negreira and the other linesman denied their participation on the corruption affairband ultimately UEFA declared the case had prescribed.Guardian article about said incident. You can read more here.

---Negreira was also involved in an embezzlement scandal in 2006 in relation to the Catalonian Referee Association: After a change of power, it was uncovered how that association —run by a friend of Negreira — had bought a lot of services from Negreira’s company, among other things 4,000 compendiums for referees, while it only had 1,400 members, a lot of video material, that nobody ever saw etc etc etc. Everything was also allegedly overpriced. This paints a pretty clear picture of Negreira. And it also casts doubt as to why FCB would keep hiring someone with such a dubious past. Link1 and Link2. (Big thanks to Messier1994 for this info)

---As previously stated, the Barca-Negreira affair was discovered by the reporter Sique Rodríguez from the program Que t'hi jugues from SER Barcelona. In this video Sique admits that they investigated as much as they could to find any leads that would mean other team (specially Real Madrid) was also involved in this affair but they found none.

This, together with the 'exclusivity' of Negreira's work might really mean it only affects Barcelona. We will see.

---If you are wondering why this affair is not bigger you might find useful to know that Barca also paid 7,2M€ to media companies such us diario Ara, Cope, Cadena Ser, Rac1, Mundo Deportivo and El Periódico or reporters such as Marçal Lorente. Proof1 and Proof2.

---In this video (that has English subtitles) Alfons Godall, the vicepresident of Barca 2003-2010 talks about several points:
--Barca (under Laporta's presidency) helped Villar get elected as president of Spanish FA.
--This started an era in which Barca were in good terms with the FA, with the La Liga institution and with the Referee Committee. (We recently learnt there are 7.3 millions reasons for this good relationship).
--Laporta also promoted a good relationship with the same institutions from UEFA, FIFA and the ECA.
So, who where in charge of the Referee Committees of UEFA and FIFA?

+The very same Villar was the president of FIFA's referee committee (also the VP of UEFA)
+Şenes Erzik was the deputy chairman of UEFA's Referee Committee and the Chief of Projects of UNICEF while Barca had UNICEF as a shirt sponsor.

In the very same video, the former Barca VP argues how not having such good relationships with these institutions would harm Barca from the point of view of sporting results. He specifically refers to the "saldo arbitral" or the difference in the refereeering regarding Barca and their rivals. Favourable and unfavourable ref decisions regarding Barca and their rivals.
Anyone remember what Negreira said he was getting paid for??

This "saldo arbitral" has been a fan talking point for years and, recently, is getting a little traction on Spanish press.

---Little extra info about "saldo arbitral" coming from this tweet.
Between 15/16 and 17/18 (114 games) Barca paid 1.6M to the ref VP. They had:
33 penalties for them 3 penalties against
23 red cards in favor 4 expulsions against

Between 18/19 and 20/21 (114 games) Barca made no payments to the ref VP. They had:
23 penalties for them 14 penalties against
15 red cards in favor 10 red cards against

More info about saldo arbitral:
---According to this article the last four Barcelona compliance officers have been sacked in quick succession since 2020 forlooking into irregular payments.

---Regarding this matter, Simeone, current Atlético de Madrid coach, said that "we all make a living out of this (football) and we would like to compete with the same possibilities" Minute 5:15 of this video

---Jesús Gil y Gil, the owner of Atlético de Madrid at the time already said in 1993 that Barca won the league thanks to Negreira. (1993 was the year Negreira stopped being a referee and started working for the ref committee). Proof of this declaration

---Ramón Mendoza, the president of Real Madrid at the time, already said in 1994 that there was indication of sport fraud involving Negreira (Proof of Mendoza's declaration)

---Negreira has declared he is in the early stages of Alzheimer and has presented medical evidence. Depending on the degree of this illness, Negreira could evade any criminal responsibility. Proof of this

---Luis Bassat was a candidate for the Barca presidency twice, in 2000 and 2003 (the period in which the ref payments started). He failed both times.
He gave an interview that you can read in Spanish here after losing the presidency elections against Laporta. In this interview he confesses the following:

"(I am feeling) Bad, but also liberated because [...] I have seen things that they say that I have to do that I will no longer have to deal with."

Q. What things?

A. For example, that a very important person from the club came to me and said: "And how do you want to be president, if there are many things you don't know?" What is it that I don't know?" And he answered me: "For example, how to bribe a referee.

--When Negreira stepped down as the ref VP in 2018 he started working in Mundo Deportivo (for those who don't know, Mundo Deportivo is the biggest Barca-centered newspaper in Spain). In this newspaper Negreira analyzed the ref performances for the whole 2019-2020 season. Coming from a Barca newspaper and written by a guy who earned millions thanks to Barca you can imagine the level of bias Barca fans learned from. Proof of this

--In the same year his son worked for TV also analysing ref performances while being employed by Barca (according to his own CV). He is the same guy who told some refs:
“You already know: here, calm down. Barcelona has a lot at stake and you can´t hesitate. You are more than prepared. You know exactly what you have to do." In this video he reviews the ref performance in a Clásico.

---In 1992 Negreira's son had an interview in Mundo Deportivo (biggest Barca-centered newspaper) and he explained how his father had granted him the possibility to train for La Masía. The interview reads 'It really isn't a case of influence peddling...' He also declared having being a Barca fan all his life. The original interview used to be online but not anymore, you can still read about it here.

---According to this article Tebas has said: "I don't think Barca bribed the refs. But they paid Negreira for 20 years. It feels as if they wanted to have an influence. I am definitely not saying they bribed the refs"

---Tebas (president of La Liga) and Soler plotted to kick Rubiales out and put Soler in his position. This means Tebas and Soler plotted to make Soler the president of Spanish FA. So, who is Soler?? Albert Soler was a Barca executive during 2014-2021(many of these years they were paying Negreira). Then he was Sports "Director General" 2021-2023. This is a high position in the Spanish gobernment, they are selected and fired directly by the the Council of Ministers. ((Also, after stepping down from the governmental position Soler has been named the Sports director of a consulting company called 'Acento Public Affairs'. One of the big clients they have is Tebas and La Liga. Proof in this article.Those two seem to have a good business relationship)). Soler also seems to be involved deeply in the Negreira case as you will see below.

There was recently a press call made jointly by the Spanish FA and the Referee Committee (CTA) regarding Negreira (the ref VP who received 6.6M€ from Barca) and his son.
They revelead that they made a huge investigation regarding every ref. A document from the investigation was leaked and it asked things like if they had been in contact with the son of Negreira or if he had taken them to a football stadium before and if any payments had been involved.

In this press call they didn't say much as they wanted to keep the results of the investigation private. The revealed that if the Spanish Prosecution filed a demand they will give them all the information they had, until then they would be kind of waiting.

They also said two things (did not revel any names)
-1 ref didn't collaborate.
-They found proof that 1 person with governmental attributions did in fact know that these payments were happening at the time but chose to not say anything or denounce it. The current thesis is that this person must be Albert Soler.
A high sports executive of the Government at the time and a former Barca executive during the time they were paying Negreira. According to this article the Spanish FA is considering taking legal action against him

----You can hear here Julio Salinas' declarations. The former Barca player has said:
"For me, Barça is guilty of corruption for having paid amounts with false invoices. It is a scandal to pay 8M€to a ref. It's like if I work as a scouter for Barça and they pay me a million a year because we are good friends. But I don't think Barca benefited from the referees. There has always been a tendency to harm Barca, the beneficiary is another club"

----This Barca official tweet from years ago reads: "Piqué: 'we don't use PEDs, we don't dive and we don't bribe refs' ". Just look at all the recent comments.:lol: :lol: :lol:.

----While all this is being revealed all Barca fans are acting like this fan who was interviewed outside the Camp Nou the day the news of Messi leaving broke out. And this one guy believed that Florentino was behind the whole thing :lol: Link (in Spanish)

TL; DR 1, 2, 3, 4

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Truly the biggest tragedy. Oppression from Madridistas never stops.
Ikr.
I even explain later on how the discoverer of the news is actually a culé that informed the club but who cares right?

Oops, I see I misspelled something there in the original post. I will correct it.

Any proof that they pulled the same stuff in Europe? Surely they wouldn't have only stopped at la liga.
(I can't write any new messages today. I will answer you here. Sorry)
As it has already been said they were friends with Villar who was the VP of UEFA, and president of FIFA's referee committee.
Villar is currently being investigated on the "Caso Soule", involving 22M€. Josep Contreras Arjona, a former Barca executive who died recently, was also involved in "Caso Soule"

Also, Şenes Erzik was the deputy chairman of UEFA's Referee Committee and the Chief of Projects of UNICEF while Barca had UNICEF as a shirt sponsor and won in the Stamford Bridge scandal.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Any proof that they pulled the same stuff in Europe? Surely they wouldn't have only stopped at la liga.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Any proof that they pulled the same stuff in Europe? Surely they wouldn't have only stopped in la liga.
None so far, although they were close to Villar who was a big shot with UEFA........

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Some times I look at our club and think what a mess then I remember Barca exists
https://www.football-espana.net/202...wskis-barcelona-contract-details-revealed/amp
You know how players get worse as they get Oder around early 30s. Barca pays him more every year to reward him for getting worse.
Or it’s an account trick to get past ffp but it looks terrible
All contracts Barca sign are heavily back-loaded. Think it’s a consequence of their presidency set-up, whomever gets the nod maximize their spending not caring about the future.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
No proof, but the head of reffing for UEFA was a big shot for UNICEF, so Barca jumped in and sponsored UNICEF and gave them parts of its earnings.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Great stuff @FreckBarca!!!

I would add this part about Negreira being involved in an embezzlement scandal in 2006 in relation to the Catalonian Referee Association:
https://www.elespanol.com/deportes/...oste-federacion-catalana/741926229_0.amp.html

After a change of power, it was uncovered how that association — while run by a friend of Negreira — had bought a lot of services from Negreira’s company, among other things 4,000 compendiums for referees, while it only had 1,400 members, a lot of video material, that nobody ever saw etc etc etc. Everything was also allegedly overpriced. Don’t think this became a court case — but it was made public and got media attention.

First of all, I think it paints a pretty clear picture of Neigreira. And it also casts doubt as to why FCB would hire someone with such a dubious past.

Here is an article from 2006 on it:
https://as.com/futbol/2006/07/22/mas_futbol/1153549632_850215.amp.html

caid

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I realized a lot of people are saying this affair is not being covered in their country so I created the:

Compilation of everything known so far of the Negreira-Barcelona case.
(Long post. Everything has a link (mainly in Spanish, sorry) to contrast it or read further on.)

Barca has secretly paid 7M€ to Enríquez Negreira, the vice-president of the Technical Referee Comitee (CTA in Spanish) for 18 year (2001-2018) during 4 different Barca boards: Gaspart, Laporta, Rosell and Bertomeu. Laporta is still the president at the moment. Proof.

The payments stopped the moment Negreira lost his position as the refs VP. Negreira then blackmailed Barca. He threatened to uncover the irregularities he had witnessed first hand regarding the club, unless they continued the payments until the previously agreed end. Proof.

In his official declaration to the Spanish tax agency that has been leaked, Negreira declared that Barca paid him to make sure no refereering adverse decision was taken against Barca, so it was all neutral. He also declared there was no report or similar document to prove any service made to Barca. Link to the document.

Barca has not admitted this. In the official declaration Barca declared the following:
-an external consultant was contracted for.
-they were provided with videos of low-category players in Spain.
-they were provided with technical videos regarding the refereering, something usual within the clubs.
-they regret this info broke at their best moment of the season.

This very declaration is already refuted as we will see below:

Barca argued they contracted an external consultant. But it is not true. When the Spanish tax agency asked about these payments they aknowledged not having any contract that justified the payments and wondered if they should say so or just play dumb. Proof can be found here.

Barca argued they paid for video reports of referee actuations. This does not seem probable as Valverde and Tata Martino, two Barca coaches during this period of time, admitted to have never looked at any ref report during his time at Barca and not even knowing they existed. On the last seconds of the video on this link Valverde denies the existance of such videos . Tata Martino's staff declaration on this link.

Barca argued the info came on the worst time possible (meaning they tried to hurt the club). The info was discovered by the reporter Sique Rodríguez from the program Que t'hi jugues from SER Barcelona. As you can see by his twitter account he is a Barca fan. On this Twitter video he explains that the scandal was deliberately published on the best possible moment for the club, and that the club knows this.

Barca also argued that it is usual for teams to pay for videos that analyze the ref actuations. This is true, it is known that most of La Liga clubs do hire a former, retired ref to make such analysis. Barca, themselves, currently pay 30.000€/year to an former ref for this service. The important part here is that they hired the ref VP while he was active, for 18 years at that. And they paid him 7M€.
Obviously no technical video on ref performance is worth that much. It is also worth remembering that Negreira himself declared that he was being paid to avoid adverse refereering against Barca.

The payments happened to "Dasnil 95 S.L." a company created by Negreira. His son (who will be important later on) was the administrator of the company. 95% of this company's income came from Barca, he barely made any money outside of them. The company was closed 2 years after Barca stopped paying them. Proof can be found here.

A poster very smartly already pointed to this:

And so far, it looks like this is what happened

We know Negreira´s son acted as a personal coach and a psychologist for Spanish referees. Perez Burrul, an ex-referee active while Negreira was the VP of the ref comitee, has admitted that, given the competition between refs, privetaly hiring the son of the ref VP could help them in their careers. He specifically referred to being promoted or relegated to the second tier. Proof can be found here

Thanks to Andújar Oliver, a ref of the same period, we also know that Negreira´s son would call the refs in charge of the important games that happened in Camp Nou. He would ask them at which hotel they were staying and then would take them personally to the stadium. He admits that, he being the refs VP son, he could not turn him down. Declarations of Andújar Oliver. Video of Negreira's son accompanying refs to Camp Nou in 2015 in a match against Atlético de Madrid.

We also learnt how on one of this trips, where Negreira´s son was with the 4 refs (referee, two assistant referees and the fourth referee) on the way to a game at Camp Nou he told them:

“You already know: here, calm down. Barcelona has a lot at stake and you can´t hesitate. You are more than prepared. You know exactly what you have to do."
Proof of this

It is worth remembering that, while doing all these, Negreira´s son admits being employed as an external consultant by Barca (as per his ver own CV available online). It is also worth remembering that he, and his father, got paid 7M€ by Barca during 18 years.

Upon hearing all this news, the current Ref Committee (CTA) has forbidden any refs to continue geting involved or form any professional relationship with the son of Negreira (Proof of this) who, until that moment, was still accompanying refs to the Camp Nou (Proof of this)

Now let's talk about Negreira for a bit. What was his role as the VP of the ref committee?

Jaume Roures (a Barca socio, a guarantor for the current Barca board, and the guy who paid for Barca's fourth lever (the company he created paid 100M€ for 24,5% of Barça Studios: Proof)) has said that Negreira was the one that evaluated the performances of refs. He was the one who made the ref reports for the Technical Referee Comitee or CTA. Proof can be found here. ((How would Roures know such a thing? Well, he is also the CEO of Mediapro, a huge company that has exclusive rights for the TV commercialisation of La Liga, etc))

Roures' declaration links up with what former referee Paradas Romero has said: "Promotions and relegations were not adjusted to the category of the referees. We were surprised by who was promoted and who was relegated. Reports were opaque and obscure" "Negreira was the one who called us". Proof can be found here

So, Negreira and his son had influence over the refs and Barca paid them 7M€ during 18 years, but what happened to the money?

It is not known yet. We know that Negreira would withdraw thousands of euros on cash periodically (proof can be found here) but it is not known what he did with it. His ex-wife, and mother of said son, has said that such a quantity of money never reached their household (Declaration of the ex-wife).

Another document has been leaked recently. In this one Negreira threatened Barca once again. He asked for more money for "so many years of relationship, so many favours rendered and so many shared confidences".
Please note, he admits to rendering favours to Barca. He also writes: "Since 2003 we have been adapting our company to the needs of FC Barcelona, hiring staff and training them for the strict needs of the club, who has required them to work exclusively in such a way that they cannot provide services to third parties".

This has sparked questions in Spain:
If Negreira just provided reports on refs and low-category players (as Barca declared) why would they need exclusivity? Why couldn't other teams pay for such reports?
If Negreira made sure no adverse refereering happened to Barca, just pure neutrality (as Negreira argued) why would they need exclusivity? Why couldn't other clubs pay for neutrality?

Tebas initially showed his concern about the matter. He also said that there could be NO sporting consequences as any possible sporting crime would have already prescribed. He also said that the Prosecution was looking into the matter and that there might be a crime of corruption between individuals in the version of sports fixing. Proof of Tebas statement

Later on Tebas said that Laporta should resign if he doesn't explain this affair correctly. Proof

Lastly, Laporta made an official address to the press where he blamed Tebas. He argued Tebas has finally revealed his true nature and that he has had a phobia against Barca for a long time. He said that Tebas wanted him to resign and that he would not. He also revealed that Barca has started its own investigation on this affair and that it was externalised to assure its independence, thoroughness and excellency. Proof can be read here

Negreira was paid monthly for 18 years, he was normally paid similar amounts, except for June (where the sporting season ends) in which he was paid twice or even thrice that amount. Proof of this. His pay increased over the years and when Laporta was president it got quadrupled (Proof can be found here). Let's hope his internal investigation can find out why this happened.

Meanwhile, Sevilla and Espanyol made individual statements where they expressed their concerns about the matter and asked for a full investigation. Sevilla's comunicado oficial. Espanyol's comunicado oficial. Later on a Delegate Commission, acting in representation of La Liga, all teams of first division (except 2) and all teams of second division, made an official statement. In this statement they express deep concern about the Negreira-Barca case and say they they will act firmly within the powers and limits allowed by the Law. You can read the official statement in English here.

Estrada Fernandez, a current ref, has demanded Negreira (the former ref VP) for alleged sports corruption or sports fraud due to the payments the latter received for advising FC Barcelona. In the demand's contents Estrada Fernandez argues that Negreira provided arbitration advisory and follow-up services with the aim of guaranteeing arbitration favorable to the interests of FC Barcelona while he was vice president of the Arbitration Committee from 2003 to 2018.News of this demand.

Additional background information:

--If you are wondering why this affair is not bigger you might find useful to know that Barca also paid 7,2M€ to media companies such us diario Ara, Cope, Cadena Ser, Rac1, Mundo Deportivo and El Periódico or reporters such as Marçal Lorente.

--Jesús Gil y Gil, the owner of Atlético de Madrid at the time already said in 1993 that Barca won the league thanks to Negreira. (1993 was the year Negreira stopped being a referee and started working for the ref committee). Proof of this declaration

--Ramón Mendoza, the president of Real Madrid at the time, already said in 1994 that there was indication of sport fraud involving Negreira (Proof of Mendoza's declaration)

--Luis Bassat was a candidate for the Barca presidency twice, in 2000 and 2003 (the period in which the ref payments started). He failed both times.
He gave an interview that you can read in Spanish here after losing the presidency elections against Laporta. In this interview he confesses the following:

"(I am feeling) Bad, but also liberated because [...] I have seen things that they say that I have to do that I will no longer have to deal with."

Q. What things?

A. For example, that a very important person from the club came to me and said: "And how do you want to be president, if there are many things you don't know?" What is it that I don't know?" And he answered me: "For example, how to bribe a referee.

TL ; DR
Where is the like for this post?

Strelok

I realized a lot of people are saying this affair is not being covered in their country so I created the:

(Long post. Everything has a link (mainly in Spanish, sorry) to contrast it or read further on.)

Barca has secretly paid 7M€ to Enríquez Negreira, the vice-president of the Technical Referee Comitee (CTA in Spanish) for 18 year (2001-2018) during 4 different Barca boards: Gaspart, Laporta, Rosell and Bertomeu. Laporta is still the president at the moment. Proof.

The payments stopped the moment Negreira lost his position as the refs VP. Negreira then blackmailed Barca. He threatened to uncover the irregularities he had witnessed first hand regarding the club, unless they continued the payments until the previously agreed end. Proof.

In his official declaration to the Spanish tax agency that has been leaked, Negreira declared that Barca paid him to make sure no refereering adverse decision was taken against Barca, so it was all neutral. He also declared there was no report or similar document to prove any service made to Barca. Link to the document.

Barca has not admitted this. In the official declaration Barca declared the following:
-they were provided with technical videos regarding the refereering, something usual within the clubs.

Barca argued they contracted an external consultant. But it is not true. When the Spanish tax agency asked about these payments they aknowledged not having any contract that justified the payments and wondered if they should say so or just play dumb. Proof can be found here.

Barca argued they paid for video reports of referee actuations. This does not seem probable as Valverde and Tata Martino, two Barca coaches during this period of time, admitted to have never looked at any ref report during his time at Barca and not even knowing they existed. On the last seconds of the video on this link Valverde denies the existance of such videos . Tata Martino's staff declaration on this link.

Barca argued the info came on the worst time possible (meaning they tried to hurt the club). The info was discovered by the reporter Sique Rodríguez from the program Que t'hi jugues from SER Barcelona. As you can see by his twitter account he is a Barca fan. On this Twitter video he explains that the scandal was deliberately published on the best possible moment for the club, and that the club knows this.

Barca also argued that it is usual for teams to pay for videos that analyze the ref actuations. This is true, it is known that most of La Liga clubs do hire a former, retired ref to make such analysis. Barca, themselves, currently pay 30.000€/year to an former ref for this service. The important part here is that they hired the ref VP while he was active, for 18 years at that. And they paid him 7M€.
Obviously no technical video on ref performance is worth that much. It is also worth remembering that Negreira himself declared that he was being paid to avoid adverse refereering against Barca.

The payments happened to "Dasnil 95 S.L." a company created by Negreira. His son (who will be important later on) was the administrator of the company. 95% of this company's income came from Barca, he barely made any money outside of them. The company was closed 2 years after Barca stopped paying them. Proof can be found here.

We know Negreira´s son acted as a personal coach and a psychologist for Spanish referees. Perez Burrul, an ex-referee active while Negreira was the VP of the ref comitee, has admitted that, given the competition between refs, privetaly hiring the son of the ref VP could help them in their careers. He specifically referred to being promoted or relegated to the second tier. Proof can be found here

Thanks to Andújar Oliver, a ref of the same period, we also know that Negreira´s son would call the refs in charge of the important games that happened in Camp Nou. He would ask them at which hotel they were staying and then would take them personally to the stadium. He admits that, he being the refs VP son, he could not turn him down. Declarations of Andújar Oliver. Video of Negreira's son accompanying refs to Camp Nou in 2015 in a match against Atlético de Madrid.

We also learnt how on one of this trips, where Negreira´s son was with the 4 refs (referee, two assistant referees and the fourth referee) on the way to a game at Camp Nou he told them:

“You already know: here, calm down. Barcelona has a lot at stake and you can´t hesitate. You are more than prepared. You know exactly what you have to do."
Proof of this

It is worth remembering that, while doing all these, Negreira´s son admits being employed as an external consultant by Barca (as per his ver own CV available online). It is also worth remembering that he, and his father, got paid 7M€ by Barca during 18 years.

Upon hearing all this news, the current Ref Committee (CTA) has forbidden any refs to continue geting involved or form any professional relationship with the son of Negreira (Proof of this) who, until that moment, was still accompanying refs to the Camp Nou (Proof of this)

Now let's talk about Negreira for a bit. What was his role as the VP of the ref committee?

Jaume Roures (a Barca socio, a guarantor for the current Barca board, and the guy who paid for Barca's fourth lever (the company he created paid 100M€ for 24,5% of Barça Studios: Proof)) has said that Negreira was the one that evaluated the performances of refs. He was the one who made the ref reports for the Technical Referee Comitee or CTA. Proof can be found here. ((How would Roures know such a thing? Well, he is also the CEO of Mediapro, a huge company that has exclusive rights for the TV commercialisation of La Liga, etc))

Roures' declaration links up with what former referee Paradas Romero has said: "Promotions and relegations were not adjusted to the category of the referees. We were surprised by who was promoted and who was relegated. Reports were opaque and obscure" "Negreira was the one who called us". Proof can be found here

So, Negreira and his son had influence over the refs and Barca paid them 7M€ during 18 years, but what happened to the money?

It is not known yet. We know that Negreira would withdraw thousands of euros on cash periodically (proof can be found here) but it is not known what he did with it. His ex-wife, and mother of said son, has said that such a quantity of money never reached their household (Declaration of the ex-wife).

Another document has been leaked recently. In this one Negreira threatened Barca once again. He asked for more money for "so many years of relationship, so many favours rendered and so many shared confidences".
Please note, he admits to rendering favours to Barca. He also writes: "Since 2003 we have been adapting our company to the needs of FC Barcelona, hiring staff and training them for the strict needs of the club, who has required them to work exclusively in such a way that they cannot provide services to third parties".

If Negreira just provided reports on refs and low-category players (as Barca declared) why would they need exclusivity? Why couldn't other teams pay for such reports?
If Negreira made sure no adverse refereering happened to Barca, just pure neutrality (as Negreira argued) why would they need exclusivity? Why couldn't other clubs pay for neutrality?

Tebas initially showed his concern about the matter. He also said that there could be NO sporting consequences as any possible sporting crime would have already prescribed. He also said that the Prosecution was looking into the matter and that there might be a crime of corruption between individuals in the version of sports fixing. Proof of Tebas statement

Later on Tebas said that Laporta should resign if he doesn't explain this affair correctly. Proof

Lastly, Laporta made an official address to the press where he blamed Tebas. He argued Tebas has finally revealed his true nature and that he has had a phobia against Barca for a long time. He said that Tebas wanted him to resign and that he would not. He also revealed that Barca has started its own investigation on this affair and that it was externalised to assure its independence, thoroughness and excellency. Proof can be read here

Negreira was paid monthly for 18 years, he was normally paid similar amounts, except for June (where the sporting season ends) in which he was paid twice or even thrice that amount. Proof of this. His pay increased over the years and when Laporta was president it got quadrupled (Proof can be found here). Let's hope his internal investigation can find out why this happened.

Meanwhile, Sevilla and Espanyol made individual statements where they expressed their concerns about the matter and asked for a full investigation. Sevilla's comunicado oficial. Espanyol's comunicado oficial. Later on a Delegate Commission, acting in representation of La Liga, all teams of first division (except 2) and all teams of second division, made an official statement. In this statement they express deep concern about the Negreira-Barca case and say they they will act firmly within the powers and limits allowed by the Law. You can read the official statement in English here.

Estrada Fernandez, a current ref, has demanded Negreira (the former ref VP) for alleged sports corruption or sports fraud due to the payments the latter received for advising FC Barcelona. In the demand's contents Estrada Fernandez argues that Negreira provided arbitration advisory and follow-up services with the aim of guaranteeing arbitration favorable to the interests of FC Barcelona while he was vice president of the Arbitration Committee from 2003 to 2018.News of this demand.

--If you are wondering why this affair is not bigger you might find useful to know that Barca also paid 7,2M€ to media companies such us diario Ara, Cope, Cadena Ser, Rac1, Mundo Deportivo and El Periódico or reporters such as Marçal Lorente.

--Jesús Gil y Gil, the owner of Atlético de Madrid at the time already said in 1993 that Barca won the league thanks to Negreira. (1993 was the year Negreira stopped being a referee and started working for the ref committee). Proof of this declaration

--Ramón Mendoza, the president of Real Madrid at the time, already said in 1994 that there was indication of sport fraud involving Negreira (Proof of Mendoza's declaration)

--Luis Bassat was a candidate for the Barca presidency twice, in 2000 and 2003 (the period in which the ref payments started). He failed both times.

Q. What things?

TL ; DR
Great report. Keep up the good works mate. Thanks.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
All contracts Barca sign are heavily back-loaded. Think it’s a consequence of their presidency set-up, whomever gets the nod maximize their spending not caring about the future.
It's also just a matter of economic planning. They figure by the time the contract kicks up to 16M they'll have enough revenue and spending power to easily afford it, more easily than they can afford 10M this season in fact

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Shortly after news of the payments emerged, Spanish media outlets published further information suggesting Barca had actually been paying DASNIL 95 since at least 2001. Late on Thursday, documents carried by the newspaper El Mundo put a value on them: just over €6.6m.

This stinks. I despise that club.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I am pretty curious as to whether Barcelona are going to produce this video material and reports.

I think at the very least, a Barcelona fan would have to admit the club has handled this poorly.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am pretty curious as to whether Barcelona are going to produce this video material and reports.

I think at the very least, a Barcelona fan would have to admit the club has handled this poorly.
I think it is mindblowingly insane that they haven’t put out a proper statement by now. Don’t they have a PR team?

Strelok

I think it is mindblowingly insane that they haven’t put out a proper statement by now. Don’t they have a PR team?
Of course they do. Problem is it's basically impossible to find anything meaningful to say now. That's when you'd better shut up so imo they actually are doing the right thing. Look at Nieman for example.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
There is only one way to handle this, creating a couple of scapegoats and put it on them. ‘Barcelona FC is as much a victim of these scums as everyone else’.

Why haven’t they? Laporta is running the club and every action the club takes is to defend him rather than the club. He would be the ‘scapegoat’.

Everyone with half a brain realize that this will never blow over without consequences, and what can the consequences be for bribing the referee system for 18+ years? Nothing short of demotion can suffice. But if handled the right way — they could come back after that like Juve did. But how will club be viewed if they keep going for a couple of months, half a year, or whatever, about how it’s nothing and everyone should stop crying?

And I mean, that is everyone around that club sending out that message right now. Ask Pep about it in an interview, he would ridicule the question. Xavi is joking about it like it’s nothing. Ex players are going on the offensive claiming that it’s a conspiracy.

Everyone will understand that it’s not right to pay €7,000,000 to a high ranking referee official. Every time that is defended by the Barca community, they become complicit even if it’s not the “club” that is extremely dirty, but a very few de facto criminals at the top.

Of course they do. Problem is it's basically impossible to find anything meaningful to say now. That's when you'd better shut up so imo they actually are doing the right thing. Look at Nieman for example.
I get what you mean, but a club this size cannot be quite. Everything it does, says something. Every time a player on the pitch complains on a ref — the world is thinking something. Interpret it as something. How many of the viewers of FCB vs us thought about Barcagate when they got the soft penalty? 75%?

If this was an individual, they could keep quiet. Fans, ex players, what they say are interpreted as coming from the Club.

georgipep

There is only one way to handle this, creating a couple of scapegoats and put it on them. ‘Barcelona FC is as much a victim of these scums as everyone else’.

Why haven’t they? Laporta is running the club and every action the club takes is to defend him rather than the club. He would be the ‘scapegoat’.

Everyone with half a brain realize that this will never blow over without consequences, and what can the consequences be for bribing the referee system for 18+ years? Nothing short of demotion can suffice. But if handled the right way — they could come back after that like Juve did. But how will club be viewed if they keep going for a couple of months, half a year, or whatever, about how it’s nothing and everyone should stop crying?

And I mean, that is everyone around that club sending out that message right now. Ask Pep about it in an interview, he would ridicule the question. Xavi is joking about it like it’s nothing. Ex players are going on the offensive claiming that it’s a conspiracy.

Everyone will understand that it’s not right to pay €7,000,000 to a high ranking referee official. Every time that is defended by the Barca community, they become complicit even if it’s not the “club” that is extremely dirty, but a very few de facto criminals at the top.

I get what you mean, but a club this size cannot be quite. Everything it does, says something. Every time a player on the pitch complains on a ref — the world is thinking something. Interpret it as something. How many of the viewers of FCB vs us thought about Barcagate when they got the soft penalty? 75%?

If this was an individual, they could keep quiet. Fans, ex players, what they say are interpreted as coming from the Club.
Sadly, time is the greatest ally for Barcelona. People's attention span is ridiculously short and easy to manipulate. Their competitors in Spain may be offered under the table deals from both Barcelona and La Liga (because the scandal is affecting La Liga as much as Barcelona) to keep their frustration to themselves.

The local prosecution is also negatively incentivised to go hard on Laporta and Barcelona because of their importance in the local economy.

I really hope there are serious consequences but have my doubts.

GazTheLegend

@FreckBarca honestly incredible post and probably a level above any of the so-called "journalists" we have to deal with in the media. Brilliant stuff.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Proof of this

Please note, he admits to rendering favours to Barca. The document also reads: "Since 2003 Negreira has been adapting its company to the needs of FC Barcelona, hiring staff and training them for the strict needs of the club, who has required them to work exclusively in such a way that they cannot provide services to third parties".You can read the document (in Spanish) here.

--If you are wondering why this affair is not bigger you might find useful to know that Barca also paid 7,2M€ to media companies such us diario Ara, Cope, Cadena Ser, Rac1, Mundo Deportivo and El Periódico or reporters such as Marçal Lorente. Proof1 and Proof2.

Q. What things?

TL ; DR
TL ; DR 2
Great post, expecting Barca bots to post the decisions that went against them to show how it was all Madrid who bribed the refs.

Don't Kill Bill

Brilliant posts from FreckBarca.

There are still people who will say there is no evidence despite all the evidence.