Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

fergosaurus

Koeman is shite, but he's a more accomplished coach than Ole surely? He did very well with our national team, Feyenoord and to a lesser extend PSV. He was decidedly meh in England, but still. What did Ole achieve before United?
Thought he did well at Southampton getting them 7th and 6th place finishes, and also a couple of wins against his compatriot LvG. Everton was a different story.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Forget about Conte.

It's either Sergi as interim then Xavi in January, or Sergi the full season then Ten Hag for 22-23.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am confused as to this La Liga wage cap situation. My understanding was that Barca were right up against it before the sacking. Maybe they had enough to sack him, but surely they don't have enough to pay a super coach or buy out one. That would lead me to believe an internal appointment and/or Xavi.

OmarUnited4ever

Weren't they interested in Roberto Martínez? i remember reading about it or Romano saying they did.

Also, wouldn't sacking Koeman mean they need to pay him off? like 12M Euros? I heard the reason Laporte didn't sack him beginning of the season was because there was no money to pay him off.

choccy77

Imagine if Barca sign Tag as next manager.

Will make us look even more pathetic

iHicksy

Take note United - when a manager doesn't perform you sack them before it's too late.

To be fair I posted that when I thought Griezmann was staying and Agüero wasn’t injured. They’ve basically sold or been without all of their goalscorers all season, Depay won’t cut it.
But even now they are only 6 points off top spot, and with a new manager coming in I still think they’ll piss it by seasons end.

Sviken

Take note United - when a manager doesn't perform you sack them before it's too late.
Sad thing is - they'd have sacked him a long time ago if they had the money. We, on the other hand, have everything except standards.

Red Star One

On Sunday, two historically great teams in crisis lost embarrassingly to their most bitter rivals, even if one team put in much worse performance and made their fans nauseous. Guess which one sacked their manager (not to mention Koeman for all his mediocrity is still at least a level above Ole)

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
On Sunday, two historically great teams in crisis lost embarrassingly to their most bitter rivals, even if one team put in much worse performance and made their fans nauseous. Guess which one sacked their manager (not to mention Koeman for all his mediocrity is still at least a level above Ole)
Considering the titles he has won, yes.

Glorio

To be fair, I'm not sure Barca in it's current state is the gold standard of well run clubs! That said, I agree with your point ;)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I am confused as to this La Liga wage cap situation. My understanding was that Barca were right up against it before the sacking. Maybe they had enough to sack him, but surely they don't have enough to pay a super coach or buy out one. That would lead me to believe an internal appointment and/or Xavi.
Lots of sources are saying that he actually paid out his contract with the Netherlands national team to take the job in the first place, which is mad

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be fair I posted that when I thought Griezmann was staying and Agüero wasn’t injured. They’ve basically sold or been without all of their goalscorers all season, Depay won’t cut it.
But even now they are only 6 points off top spot, and with a new manager coming in I still think they’ll piss it by seasons end.
Fair enough, but like I said, Barcelona were way too reliant on Messi and his departure was always likely to plunge them into a battle for top 4 instead of a comfortable top 3 finish

Nick7

I mean, Koeman did get another game after that. There really isn't the parallel you're trying to force here.

Santos J

Neither considering Koeman only got sacked after losing to Rayo last night.

LoneStar

They'll probably hire Xavi, he might fail and next year they'll go for Ten Haag. Meanwhile United will still have Ole on the wheel, how good does it feel?

LARulz

I had absolutely no idea Henrick Larsson was the assistant at Barca till I saw a picture

Does he fit into the Carrick bucket of ex player but not sure what he does in the backroom staff?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Xavi will sign for them. I think he has favorable conditions: no pressure to get immediate results and a lot of young players who already have some La Liga experience. It can only get better from where they are.

Pep's Suit

I can see Ten Haag wait another year and then replace Pep at City. There were rumours Guardiola spoke to Nagelsmann when he was still with Leipzig so can imagine him involved in choosing City's next coach.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I can see Ten Haag wait another year and then replace Pep at City. There were rumours Guardiola spoke to Nagelsmann when he was still with Leipzig so can imagine him involved in choosing City's next coach.
Let's hope it works as well as Fergie choosing his successor

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Let's hope it works as well as Fergie choosing his successor
Nagelsmannn is living his childhood dream. He won't move anywhere except Bayern sack him. Might have been different before Bayern approached him, so even if Guardiola thought Nagelsmann could be his successor, this option is now gone.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They'll probably hire Xavi, he might fail and next year they'll go for Ten Haag. Meanwhile United will still have Ole on the wheel, how good does it feel?
The only way he'd fail if is they don't qualify for the CL or something like that - there's no pressure for immediate results at Barca right now and if they hire him it'll be for a long-term project rather than instant success imo.

Related to the sacking, I'd be delighted if Koeman is the one who replaces Ole.

LoneStar

The only way he'd fail if is they don't qualify for the CL or something like that - there's no pressure for immediate results at Barca right now and if they hire him it'll be for a long-term project rather than instant success imo.

I'm just half joking at the board's indecisiveness mate. I honestly believe Barca would have sacked Koeman sooner, but held off due to their money problems.

Meanwhile, our board are somehow happy to let Ole continue after getting embarassed last week.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Oi, behave Robin! :nono:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Xavi could fail just as Lampard/Pirlo failed.

I'm sure Pep would have failed as well in 2008 if not for the inheritance of Messi/Xaviesta and the key signings made by Begiristain.

AB_89

Weren't they interested in Roberto Martínez? i remember reading about it or Romano saying they did.

Also, wouldn't sacking Koeman mean they need to pay him off? like 12M Euros? I heard the reason Laporte didn't sack him beginning of the season was because there was no money to pay him off.
There were big rumours that Martinez was there preferred candidate. He has a release clause of 1.8M Euros and he is apparently on pennies at Belgium.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Xavi will sign for them. I think he has favorable conditions: no pressure to get immediate results and a lot of young players who already have some La Liga experience. It can only get better from where they are.
Is the grass length just correct?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Apparently there's an understanding between Xavi and Barca. Probably just waiting for their gofundmeaccount to reach a million which is what it would cost to buy out his contract at Al-Saad

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Xavi could be a good choice if he'll get time. Barcelona are a shambles at the moment so it's going to be a very tough job. Be surprised if he brings any kind of instant success. Their goal for the season is pretty much only making top 4 and building for the future. Can't do more than that.

With hindsight, Koeman must regret accepting the job. Having Messi and Griezmann go, all the financial and other problems. Hasn't done himself any favours and pretty much any manager would have struggled given what's gone on.

It can go quite wrong for an inexperienced coach, so it's also a risk for Xavi taking the job. I think Pep will go back in a few years, now Bartomeu is out no barrier to it.