Barcelona to go for second round of wage cuts

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Messi & co will need to take a wage cut-end of. They must be in a bit of a mess financially. To me this proves clubs are paying players far, far, far too much in wages & it's crippling them financially because this just shouldn't happen due to the colossal TV money in the game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Imagine if they had gone through 15 years of the Glazers and 7 years of Woodward.

It's incredible how they've let it come to this. It used to be Madrid that was the circus. If they did have a fire sale we wouldn't be falling over ourselves to sign any of their players, and that says it all. They're lucky there will never be the competition in La Liga to drop them out of the CL places or they really would be in trouble.

Still, whatever happens i can't help but think some dodgy government deal will bail them out of it.

Gonçalo Motta

Barça is being run by clowns, I would be mad if I were one of those players.

Messi wanted to leave and it was pretty much a win/win situation for every party involved. Although still, a great player he is past his prime and is already 33y old.
Now they are stuck with his wage for another year, didn't get any sales money from him (and potentially he can walk for free) and now they want to do wage cuts. Something that probably could be avoided if they just sold Messi :lol:

How are they even going to justify that to the players ? "Hey boys, we need to do wage cuts because we decided to do a tantrum and keep Messi by force and now you gonna have to pay for it"

romufc

Barça is being run by clowns, I would be mad if I were one of those players.

Messi wanted to leave and it was pretty much a win/win situation for every party involved. Although still, a great player he is past his prime and is already 33y old.
Now they are stuck with his wage for another year, didn't get any sales money from him (and potentially he can walk for free) and now they want to do wage cuts. Something that probably could be avoided if they just sold Messi :lol:

How are they even going to justify that to the players ? "Hey boys, we need to do wage cuts because we decided to do a tantrum and keep Messi by force and now you gonna have to pay for it"
And to top it off, Messi probably won't take a pay cut.

Falcow

Interesting conversations to be had with Messi and Dembele considering they refused to let either leave...

Had Barca not been so petulant around Messi and had a plan, they could have probably got a fee for him (around 80m) and his 40m wages off their books which would have stabilised their finances. Now they are in the shit and he can maybe walk away sooner or definitely for free next year.
Exactly this. They may not win the league anyway so even more reason to let him go. They will do nothing in Europe either way.

They need to reset and re build and selling Messi in the summer would have been a significant and needed first step.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Probably won't be nobita and his board doing the negotiating as they're likely to resign once the votes on the censure motion are tallied

Suvvernmanc

75% of their income goes on wages. Most clubs including us are at 45% (roughly).

Not surprising they are in the shit financially. Pretty sure I read yesterday that their debt has doubled in the last few years.

Red_toad

It's less than 50% of turnover in a typical season. Not in a season where tv, sponsorship and match day income is reduced due to the ongoing absence of fans.
Past year out of champs league so wages reduced by 25%, Got a lot of big earners off the books. Barca’s main striker earns more than Martial, Rashford and Greenwood combined. Then there’s Messi. Barca’s wage bill is vast, blows ours out of the water, not comparable at all in terms of turnover.

Past year out of champs league so wages reduced by 25%, Got a lot of big earners off the books. Barca’s main striker earns more than Martial, Rashford and Greenwood combined. Then there’s Messi. Barca’s wage bill is vast, blows ours out of the water, not comparable at all in terms of turnover.
Going to cause such massive discontent. You are going to be frustrated if you are on a lower wage at the club, and you are being asked to take a 25% pay cut which you know would have been avoided if Messi had gone over the summer, or could be avoided if Messi took a massive pay cut.

Skills

Snitch
Going to cause such massive discontent. You are going to be frustrated if you are on a lower wage at the club, and you are being asked to take a 25% pay cut which you know would have been avoided if Messi had gone over the summer, or could be avoided if Messi took a massive pay cut.
The thing, Messi actually wanted to leave. I imagine he'll just tell them to feck off if they ask him to take a paycut now, after making him stay against his wishes

The thing, Messi actually wanted to leave. I imagine he'll just tell them to feck off if they ask him to take a paycut now, after making him stay against his wishes
I think I would in his situation as well, which will create massive disharmony.

The reason they kept his was adherence to his contract, why should he then accept Barca not keeping their side of the agreement by not paying him the full amount?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Barto going on a begging tour because he and his directors are personally liable for the debt they leave behind. :lol:

Cloud7

And to top it off, Messi probably won't take a pay cut.
At any other point during his time at Barcelona, I would say there might be some small chance he might accept a wage cut, but after the summer that just went by, I hope he tells them to get fecked if they propose this to him.

FreddieTheReddie

Question is, where will these highly payed players go when most of the clubs will have these problems? They can’t all go to PSG and City, if the recession is bad enough, they will eventually have to accept lower wages.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Question is, where will these highly payed players go when most of the clubs will have these problems? They can’t all go to PSG and City, if the recession is bad enough, they will eventually have to accept lower wages.
Which would be a silver lining for me. The thought of living on a planet where people starve, and then someone earns 100 million a year for playing football upsets me.

MUFC OK

Them not letting Messi goes just typifies how badly run they are.
A completely desperate, political move. They risk a real fall from grace with their awful recruitment and incompetence at board level - we should know. The difference is they will continue throwing a larger % of revenue at transfers and La Liga is structured to allow RM and FCB to be the two dominant forces due to their independent negotiation of TV rights. They will always be top 3 in Spain, but their competitiveness at a European level has already diminished.

FreddieTheReddie

Which would be a silver lining for me. The thought of living on a planet where people starve, and then someone earns 100 million a year for playing football upsets me.
Imagine the laundry ladies and maintenance guys are losing their jobs and cant feed their kids because Messi is too important the accept a pay cut. Of course we know how it works and why, but I would love to see a player who says, ‘ok, i’ll be good with only 100k a week but please don’t fire these poor people’. Would be nice.

Oldyella

Bit of a kick in the teeth to their players to do this the moment the transfer window closes. They should have given players a heads up before, and if anyone didn't want to take the cut would be given the chance to transfer out. Not to mention they refused to Messi and his wages go earlier.

I would love to see a bunch of the bigger players refusing and walking away for free, and it would be interesting to see if Messi now uses as a way to leave as well.
Would they be classed as free agents? Surely they could then just be signed by other clubs

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine the laundry ladies and maintenance guys are losing their jobs and cant feed their kids because Messi is too important the accept a pay cut. Of course we know how it works and why, but I would love to see a player who says, ‘ok, i’ll be good with only 100k a week but please don’t fire these poor people’. Would be nice.
Why should he accept a pay cut. He could have been off the wages all together if they didnt go back on their word. He should tell them balls. They made him stay now better pay.

flappyjay

Imagine the laundry ladies and maintenance guys are losing their jobs and cant feed their kids because Messi is too important the accept a pay cut.
Blaming the wrong person. The just got that rb from Ajax. They have no business buying players if they have money problems.

Skills

Snitch
Barto going on a begging tour because he and his directors are personally liable for the debt they leave behind. :lol:
So does Barcelona's own debt get wiped out once they've left?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
How much money does the the fella really need?
Why should he accept a pay cut. He could have been off the wages all together if they didnt go back on their word. He should tell them balls. They made him stay now better pay.
Granted they were acting like dicks, but when people on next to no money are losing their livelihoods, its quite honestly sickening that someone would insist on getting every single penny of a hundred million out of sheer bloody mindedness and point scoring. He already has enough cash for several lifetimes, time for a little humility and common decency if you ask me.

Zen86

It’s sad that people are losing their jobs, but I still remember just how fecking smug that club was 10 or so years ago and it brings a wee smile.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
So does Barcelona's own debt get wiped out once they've left?
I doubt the directors have enough assets to pay off hundreds of millions. Although I think stadium and infrastructure debt and the like is excluded from it and deals like the Arthur/Pjanic swap for inflated fees is a tool among many others to "balance" (less cheritable minds mind also call it "cook") the books before Barto's tenure ends.

kiristao

How much money does the the fella really need?

Granted they were acting like dicks, but when people on next to no money are losing their livelihoods, its quite honestly sickening that someone would insist on getting every single penny of a hundred million out of sheer bloody mindedness and point scoring. He already has enough cash for several lifetimes, time for a little humility and common decency if you ask me.
I get what you are saying and when this pandemic started I was also saying that the players should come forward and take a pay-cut so that the regular working class people get to keep their jobs and salaries.
Messi is a different situation though at the moment. He wanted to leave and considering what he has done for the club, the club should have been more honourable and let him leave. Now its his turn to squeeze them and I will be surprised if he does anything to help them. Yes, this will result in collateral damage in terms of the working class staff but why should he be the only one who cares when the club does not? The staff who might lose jobs work for the club and not for him and it is their mismanagement that has made the situation what it is today. Yes the Pandemic didnt help but Barcelona as a club were close the the edge already if you believe some of the salary:revenue numbers that are floating around.

FreddieTheReddie

I get what you are saying and when this pandemic started I was also saying that the players should come forward and take a pay-cut so that the regular working class people get to keep their jobs and salaries.
Messi is a different situation though at the moment. He wanted to leave and considering what he has done for the club, the club should have been more honourable and let him leave. Now its his turn to squeeze them and I will be surprised if he does anything to help them. Yes, this will result in collateral damage in terms of the working class staff but why should he be the only one who cares when the club does not? The staff who might lose jobs work for the club and not for him and it is their mismanagement that has made the situation what it is today. Yes the Pandemic didnt help but Barcelona as a club were close the the edge already if you believe some of the salary:revenue numbers that are floating around.
That’s what I meant. Messi might be bad example, considering how Barca acted, but I was talking about players in general.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I dont disagree with you in general, but the answer to the bolded part for me is common human kindness and decency, he already has so much he wouldn't even notice, if memory serves didnt he have legal issues for dodging tax? All together paints a picture of a grasping little bugger.