Gaming Battlefield 2042 (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Series S|X)

AaronRedDevil

Really regret buying this. I tried cancelling my pre order but you know how PS are so fecking impossible. Thought "feck it, I'll just keep it". It's even worse then I imagined. Usually it always takes a couple of months for BF is be great. BF4 had a worse launch and that was The Best one imo. So 2042 game runs perfectly fine for me now. But there's so many things missing and they BETTER add them back into it over time. No scoreboard, The weapon select and attachments are confusing af and spend a minute trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. Feels like there's 5 maps in the whole game and neither of them are fun to play. So far I haven't bumped into a small map kinda like Operation Metro. Also there's no Filter to choose the map you want to play or custom servers. I loved playing operation Metro. Only positive is that, I've finally figured out which Flight controls are best for me. Also doing the Portal thing is cool, going back to BF3 to play Caspian Border is pretty nice. But other then all that. I have an extreme case of buyers remorse, I already don't want to play it. It's just not fun for me.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Really regret buying this. I tried cancelling my pre order but you know how PS are so fecking impossible. Thought "feck it, I'll just keep it". It's even worse then I imagined. Usually it always takes a couple of months for BF is be great. BF4 had a worse launch and that was The Best one imo. So 2042 game runs perfectly fine for me now. But there's so many things missing and they BETTER add them back into it over time. No scoreboard, The weapon select and attachments are confusing af and spend a minute trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. Feels like there's 5 maps in the whole game and neither of them are fun to play. So far I haven't bumped into a small map kinda like Operation Metro. Also there's no Filter to choose the map you want to play or custom servers. I loved playing operation Metro. Only positive is that, I've finally figured out which Flight controls are best for me. Also doing the Portal thing is cool, going back to BF3 to play Caspian Border is pretty nice. But other then all that. I have an extreme case of buyers remorse, I already don't want to play it. It's just not fun for me.

I'm in the exact same boat.

I've played a few matches on release and not touched it since for pretty much the same reasons as you.

I've absolutely no interest in playing it and I've definately got buyers remorse.

Bosws87

I expected as much, glad to see I’m not the only one that thinks this is truly dreadful.

Not sure how they got it so wrong, it’s impressive.

acnumber9

Not having a scoreboard or any stats to track how you’re actually doing is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the game itself was great, you need some way of knowing how you’re doing. If you leave out something so basic it’s not a surprise that everything else is so poor.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not having a scoreboard or any stats to track how you’re actually doing is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the game itself was great, you need some way of knowing how you’re doing. If you leave out something so basic it’s not a surprise that everything else is so poor.
Yeah, it's a very strange decision. Trying to give everyone the warm and fuzzies instead of just telling them the reality. The whole fecking point of a PvP game is to be shit at it and to get better to be able to see your progress as you go.

I know I'm fecking shit at shooters, I don't need you to hide that from me, I'd still like to know how I'm doing in any given game ffs, I don't need 'Look, you got 2 sidearm kills, well done you :angel::angel::angel: now let's ignore the 17 times you died' at the end of a match.

Nickosaur

Will wait a few months until I pick this up. I think there is a good game in there somewhere. Beta was fun at times, and I do really want to piss around in Portal.

Halftrack

BF4 was bad, but mostly because of technical issues. People spent months jumping through hoops to play it because, even though servers would crash and lose all your progress, and you struggled to go a match without being disconnected, the core gameplay was engaging.

2042's got technical issues in spades (though not to the extent of BF4), but it also lacks basic features, and the core gameplay isn't anywhere near as engaging as BF4 (or BF1 or even BFV). The gunplay is ass (which is especially jarring considering it was top notch in BFV) and balancing sucks. It's baffling that it made it past QA in this state, it's not like there were a lot of guns there for them to test. The fact that you get kicked back to the lobby and have to wait for another round of matchmaking between every game is idiotic, made even worse by how often you're put into the losing team towards the end of a match.

Portal could be fun, but aside from the curated modes, I see very few populated games in the browser, and most of the ones that are seem to be mediumcore.

I'm glad I went for the 10 hour trial and didn't actually waste any money on this shitheap. Maybe it'll be good after a year of patching, but after what happened to BFV, and given that this seems to have gotten an even worse reception, I'm not optimistic.

Bosws87

Love the fact they decided a great game mechanic would be for the bullet spread of some of the guns would be completely random even when stood still.

Always fun when it’s just random luck if your shot goes where you intend.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Have they patched any of this yet? I was really keen to buy this but checked out a few release date reviews and became hesitant and it seems to have been the right move. Does it feel like patching in some of these missing features and some balancing would unlock an otherwise good game underneath, or this close to unsalvagable?

Bosws87

Can we call this the death of Battlefield is anyone even still playing this.

PC it’s down to 5k players online a day (Steam numbers) to compare it to another EA game on Steam Apex Legends is sitting at 250k online a day.

Rumours it will go free 2 play don’t think even that will save it from the few hours I played of it.

Has to be up there with Cyberpunk as absolute disaster.

big rons sovereign

Can we call this the death of Battlefield is anyone even still playing this.

PC it’s down to 5k players online a day (Steam numbers) to compare it to another EA game on Steam Apex Legends is sitting at 250k online a day.

Rumours it will go free 2 play don’t think even that will save it from the few hours I played of it.

Has to be up there with Cyberpunk as absolute disaster.
Battlefields been shit since 4 anyway.

Bosws87

Not true. Battlefield 1 was fantastic and still holds up well now. Been playing a lot recently.

Battlefield 2042 is the biggest steaming pile of shit I've played though. Cant belive I paid £90 for it. Totally robbed
I don't know if it was just me but i felt Battlefield 1 and the more recent 5 were visually miles ahead of 2042.

I was so underwhelmed when i first loaded into 2042 and saw the visuals.

Maybe its just nostalgia but i didnt get the usual wow feeling you get with a battlefield title.

big rons sovereign

Not true. Battlefield 1 was fantastic and still holds up well now. Been playing a lot recently.

Battlefield 2042 is the biggest steaming pile of shit I've played though. Cant belive I paid £90 for it. Totally robbed
I hated everything about bf1. I've not bothered with 2042 at all.
I'd rather play 2142.

big rons sovereign

This

conflicts with this

It's been the main complaint people have leveled at every Battlefield since Bad Company, so it's hard to take seriously as a criticism. It's also very vague.
Ah, my opinion is invalid against your vastly superior knowledge.
I had no idea you were the lord of of all things battlefield.
Piss off mate.

Bosws87

Such a friendly bunch on here, the ironic thing is if they nailed the BF2042 combat to be like the fast paced action of COD it would of been a lot better then it is now and a lot more succesful.

Its the fact the newest one has no real identity and just plays like crap that's the problem no amount of bugfixes is making the core gameplay of this one fun ever.

big rons sovereign

Such a friendly bunch on here, the ironic thing is if they nailed the BF2042 combat to be like the fast paced action of COD it would of been a lot better then it is now and a lot more succesful.

Its the fact the newest one has no real identity and just plays like crap that's the problem no amount of bugfixes is making the core gameplay of this one fun ever.
You'd think they'd have learned after the shambles of the bf4 launch.
I guess not. Tbf BF4 turned out alright, I can't see the same happening for 2042 though.

Halftrack

Ah, my opinion is invalid against your vastly superior knowledge.
I had no idea you were the lord of of all things battlefield.
Piss off mate.
I'm just saying that as far as criticisms go, "it's shit because it's like CoD" is a pretty meaningless one. As I mentioned, it's a complaint that's been leveled at every new Battlefield game for the past 12 years. When BFV dropped, BF1 was often placed at the other end of the extreme as the least CoD like of the Frostbite Battlefields (in contrast to BFV, which was considered the most CoD like.)

If you don't like it then you don't like it, but it's far from a shit game.

big rons sovereign

I'm just saying that as far as criticisms go, "it's shit because it's like CoD" is a pretty meaningless one. As I mentioned, it's a complaint that's been leveled at every new Battlefield game for the past 12 years. When BFV dropped, BF1 was often placed at the other end of the extreme as the least CoD like of the Frostbite Battlefields (in contrast to BFV, which was considered the most CoD like.)

If you don't like it then you don't like it, but it's far from a shit game.
Just because you don't agree doesn't make it meaningless.
We're never gonna agree on bf1 or 5, both of which are dogshit. The rot starting with 1 then setting in fully with 5 and finally killing it with whatever this shit is they've released now.

I'm not after a row btw, I'm just in a shit mood..

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Not a chance you can say BF1 is 'dogshit'.
Might have the argument with BFV, although I wouldn't completely agree with it.

Back on topic... you could definitely say that for BF2042 :lol:
I'm gutted as I was so hyped for some more battlefield, just glad I waited before buying it.
I really hope they can somehow turn it around, but the launch seems to have killed all hype and momentum the game had.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
just dropped on gamepass, I'm going to download it tonight and see what it's like, 3 seasons in now so hopefully all the major issues have been sorted

Edit - I appear to be shit, got a few kills but no idea wtf is going on

Last edited: