Bayern Munich’s public pursuit of other team’s players...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Most Bayern supporters are annoyed by those antics. There was hope that talking about players from other clubs stops after Hoeness left but Rummenigge continues this tradition.
Hopefully it stops next year when Kahn is in charge.
Kahn has been out in the last week providing updates on talks with Upamecano’s agent himself so I doubt it.

Oranges038

I never really paid much attention to it until the Goetze move. That when I thought they actually just enjoy having that power over the rest of the league and ability to put one over on their biggest rivals.

It's obvious the best players are going to want to play for the biggest and best team. I dont think they need to do it this way, but flaunting it so publicly seems to be what works better. Giving two fingers to their rivals and just saying, we are going to get this player and you can't stop us.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern did the same when they were chasing Sane, Everyone knew they were after Sane for like 2 years. Same with when getting Javi Martinez

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Tbh, Real always pay up. Trying to get things done on cheap by going public is very Bayern and Barca esque.
Not really. The De Gea situation is a good example for us, where they made it very obvious they wanted him for ages and were basically publicly asking him to cause a problem and force a move through. Even though he did want to join them he refused to cause a fuss, and they waited so long trying to get him for cheap that the deal then fell apart at the last second of the window. They tested it out the following season as well but this time De Gea showed no interest at all (probably because he felt they fecked him around as much as us) and they fecked off.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Definitely looking forward to the Dortmund/RBL/Leverkusen fans explaining to us all why this is perfectly OK and to mind our own business as their players get tapped up and leave for peanuts to maintain Bayern’s dominance.
You really do understand us, do you? :lol:

I hate Bayern for such behaviour. I could write essays full of examples and pretty much every non-Bayern fan I know cheers when someone gets back at them for it like Chelsea officials recently. I love every player they fail to sign. There's nothing better than seeing the frustrated faces of Hoeneß and Rummenigge.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Definitely looking forward to the Dortmund/RBL/Leverkusen fans explaining to us all why this is perfectly OK and to mind our own business as their players get tapped up and leave for peanuts to maintain Bayern’s dominance.
So true

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bayern did the same when they were chasing Sane, Everyone knew they were after Sane for like 2 years. Same with when getting Javi Martinez
Yea, Sané was another example. Hudson-Odoi was good to see though, as Chelsea has to remind them that he’s our player and we hold cards too and won’t be pushed disrespected.

KwokSF

Yes Sane was another public pursuit to unsettle him. Elite German players at other clubs are fair game to them

Gazza

Don't act as if you wouldn't prefer to have a bit more of an open book to read from in your club.

I see you poor souls haplessly guessing, helplessly tapping around in the blind, every transfer window and between, desperately trying to gauge your club's intentions and opinions on transfer targets, and even on your own players.

Is Mata "deadwood"? Or will he sign a lucrative new 4 year contract tomorrow? Who knows! Either could be true! Or even both at the same time!

And how would you know? Your board never speaks directly, only through the press. But are these briefings? Or smoke screens? Or leaks from someone who isn't in the loop? Or simply made up stuff because there's nothing there to report?

Dozens upon dozens of threads, thousands upon thousands of posts, fans voicing their mere guess work and then attacking other fans for their mere guess work, like starving wolves in a nebulous forest.

Our guys wear their hearts on their sleeves, and their brain on their tongues, bless them.
We Bayern fans know what's up, because this is our club, it's run by our people, not some unaccountable accountant appointed by owners thousands of miles away.

And it's certainly not our fault if other teams insert cheap release clauses in their top players' contracts.
Okay cool but the key difference between your example and the one in the OP is that it’s fine to talk about your own club’s players but iffy territory to start talking about another’s.

Needham

And then when they get them there they have to wear slinky short tight leather hot pants and sit on the chairman's knee. Vile club.

Abizzz

To be fair most people here don't even notice german players exist if Bayern aren't in for them :lol:

Pagh Wraith

You really do understand us, do you? :lol:

I hate Bayern for such behaviour. I could write essays full of examples and pretty much every non-Bayern fan I know cheers when someone gets back at them for it like Chelsea officials recently. I love every player they fail to sign. There's nothing better than seeing the frustrated faces of Hoeneß and Rummenigge.
That is really true. There is not much love for Bayern in Germany from non-Bayern fans. This twisted idea that some posters have here all seems to stem from the Sancho saga where, let's be honest, it was hard not to root for Dortmund (whom I don't like that much either) given Man United's ridiculous behaviour.

Jonesno.8

They have been at this for a while now, and while all clubs often construct a re carefully co-ordinated media courtship - Bayern’s directors seem to casually give direct quotes every week to the press about players they want and exactly where they are with the progress of any deal.

Currently, they are in something of a ‘title race’ with RB Leipzig, and are being typically disrespectful in blatantly saying how much they intend to sign Upamecano, how they are in talks with his agents and hope for a decision soon. The season is still ongoing and it’s a total piss take.

They did the same thing with Hudson-Odoi and for that reason I was pleased to see them fail to get him.
Ye its a tactic that really works too. Especially with fellow German teams. Seems like if you are on Bayerns wishlist, they batter their eyelids publicly, job done. Upemecano the latest, if Bayern truly are.in for him, he's not going anywhere else, they almost never do if they are already in the Bundesliga.

Hudson Odoi a good example outside of that rule tbf.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'm sure you understand the difference between buying another team's player and talking about another team's player's contract and transfer status to the press?
Was there anything new to learn about his contract and transfer status? No. His RC and its sum were well known since last summer. He has decided to leave and is now negotiating with 3 clubs, one of them being us. So, what's so horrible about being honest about it?

Pep's Suit

This 100%. :drool:

Raven

I hate Bayern, horrible club. The Bundesliga is embarrassing as well.

arnie_ni

That is really true. There is not much love for Bayern in Germany from non-Bayern fans. This twisted idea that some posters have here all seems to stem from the Sancho saga where, let's be honest, it was hard not to root for Dortmund (whom I don't like that much either) given Man United's ridiculous behaviour.
United ridiculous behaviour? Do explain?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not paying 120m is probably what is considered ‘ridiculous behaviour’ from us. We conducted ourselves brilliantly in the whole ‘saga’ - which wasn’t really a saga at all but our fans still threw the biggest of strops when the window closed.

arnie_ni

Not paying 120m is probably what is considered ‘ridiculous behaviour’ from us. We conducted ourselves brilliantly in the whole ‘saga’ - which wasn’t really a saga at all but our fans still threw the biggest of strops when the window closed.
Yea that's what I thought. Apologies German fans for not bending over and lubing up

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
They did the same with Hudson-Odoi, didn't work out for them but left a bad aftertaste.

As successful as Bayern have been you need to respect them, but in fact both Rummenigge and Hoeness are convicted criminals.

OleBoiii

Don't act as if you wouldn't prefer to have a bit more of an open book to read from in your club.

I see you poor souls haplessly guessing, helplessly tapping around in the blind, every transfer window and between, desperately trying to gauge your club's intentions and opinions on transfer targets, and even on your own players.

Is Mata "deadwood"? Or will he sign a lucrative new 4 year contract tomorrow? Who knows! Either could be true! Or even both at the same time!

And how would you know? Your board never speaks directly, only through the press. But are these briefings? Or smoke screens? Or leaks from someone who isn't in the loop? Or simply made up stuff because there's nothing there to report?

Dozens upon dozens of threads, thousands upon thousands of posts, fans voicing their mere guess work and then attacking other fans for their mere guess work, like starving wolves in a nebulous forest.

Our guys wear their hearts on their sleeves, and their brain on their tongues, bless them.
We Bayern fans know what's up, because this is our club, it's run by our people, not some unaccountable accountant appointed by owners thousands of miles away.

And it's certainly not our fault if other teams insert cheap release clauses in their top players' contracts.
Jesus :lol:

Well, I guess it's easy to be straight-forward and tough when you have no real competitors in the league. Whenever a new challenger appears, you know it wont be for long. No team in England has that luxury.

Not hating on the Bundesliga, though. It's very entertaining if you just pretend that Bayern doesn't exist :D

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Ah, the rewriting efforts are in full steam now, I see

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did anyone from ManUtd talk anything about Sancho in the summer? I don't remember reading anything.

Hoof the ball

Let's face it. At this point Bayern run a protection racket. Wouldn't surprise me if they routinely sent a couple of wise guys round to each club to warn them that they'll nick their next players if they don't keep quiet and sell on the cheap.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Did anyone from ManUtd talk anything about Sancho in the summer? I don't remember reading anything.
On the contrary, we were asked to comment many times and refused to. Not only that, but it came out in the media a number of times that we were actually annoyed with how public things were being made from Germany, and that we would like to conduct business in private.

Pagh Wraith

The constant briefing of the British press for example trying to put pressure on Dortmund to sell. This whole thing was dead here since early August when the deadline Dortmund announced passed. Actually trying to google Sancho related news didn't yield any results. There was just nothing to report anymore. Which is why everyone was left bemused as to why United kept going and going through their mouthpieces and British media sending journalists over. United were always seen as a proper club round here (like Liverpool even you don't want to hear that) when the oil clubs like Chelsea and City emerged but that whole Sancho thing cost the club a lot of sympathies. And you could read the same sentiments on Bayern or Schalke forums which is maybe why many here seem to think the German posters here are like a hive defending the Bundesliga (I don't even watch the Bundesliga much). When in reality it was just such a black and white issue that it was hard to take another position. Personally I thought that was beneath a club such as United as well. This goes for every club by the way and I know most do that but I don't think these leeches (sports journalists) should be fed anything and business should not be conducted that way. Maybe that is naive.

SATA

I don't see how United have embarrassed or ridiculed themselves over the Sancho saga. How so may i ask if that’s the case? All i remember was their CEO opening his gob everyday of a price of 120M and United just kept quiet throughout and instead prefer using intermediaries to talk business. Hell even their classless twitter admin got into the act though i can say it's good banter

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
On the contrary, we were asked to comment many times and refused to. Not only that, but it came out in the media a number of times that we were actually annoyed with how public things were being made from Germany, and that we would like to conduct business in private.
You refused to comment, and chose to brief your press mouthpieces, who then told the world about how you didn't want to meet their expectations, and how you were confident to get him for the price you deemed right anyway, for weeks and months. Truly a display of exemplary conduct..

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
To be quite honest, the mere act of pointing out information which is established in the German public and media (however you want to value that) is treated as 'rooting for' or 'defending' Dortmund, which is rather absurd from the standpoint of a rival fan. But let's not go down that road again..

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Reports in Germany suggest Dortmund was annoyed by United trying to play 5d chest when they just wanted to do straight forward business. No waiting games, no cheeky last minute bids, no negotiating, no secret media briefings, no leaked infos to Twitter insiders, just a price tag with a dead line, take it or leave it. Basically like an extension clause. Apparently this was also why Dortmund insisted on intermediaries.

I think during the Sancho saga two different world views collided. United applied bargaining tactics, confident that Dortmund is doing the same and would give in eventually, while the latter had absolutely no intentions to do so at all.

Don't shoot the messenger.

OleBoiii

Leaked video from Bayern's training ground when they become aware of a new Bundesliga star that they don't currently own:

arnie_ni

The constant briefing of the British press for example trying to put pressure on Dortmund to sell. This whole thing was dead here since early August when the deadline Dortmund announced passed. Actually trying to google Sancho related news didn't yield any results. There was just nothing to report anymore. Which is why everyone was left bemused as to why United kept going and going through their mouthpieces and British media sending journalists over. United were always seen as a proper club round here (like Liverpool even you don't want to hear that) when the oil clubs like Chelsea and City emerged but that whole Sancho thing cost the club a lot of sympathies. And you could read the same sentiments on Bayern or Schalke forums which is maybe why many here seem to think the German posters here are like a hive defending the Bundesliga (I don't even watch the Bundesliga much). When in reality it was just such a black and white issue that it was hard to take another position. Personally I thought that was beneath a club such as United as well. This goes for every club by the way and I know most do that but I don't think these leeches (sports journalists) should be fed anything and business should not be conducted that way. Maybe that is naive.
United don't go through the British press for anything. They are usually the last to find anything out

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, journalists reported same news all the time and somehow people think we briefed them all the time, even worse people thought the same when Romano tweeted something too.

Anyways some weird posts, not surprising.

hubbuh

No offence, but I think that's a bit ridiculous. Dare I say quite a few people in Germany sound a bit soft and perhaps slightly naive if that made them fall out of love with United. Even if they did brief the press on the quiet (which I'm not even sure they would have, I don't know though), it's hardly the most heinous act. It's gone on for years, I don't think any club is 'above' briefing the press on occasion. Liverpool undertook a very blatant and obvious campaign to unsettle van Dijk, it's hardly shocking. If that overrides everything positive to do with the club then fair enough (we've also been in the press over the past year or so for positive stuff like paying staff during lockdown, dedication to the club's academy and Rashford's recent campaign for feeding children etc.).

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
It is confirmation bias

Most BL Fans hate Bayern with passion. It’s just that in our eyes the big English Clubs are essentially Bayern Munich. They are big global players out to bully the smaller clubs. The only people in Germany, who don’t think so are, well, Bayern fans.

In the Sancho saga, which was mainly about the British media, not Man United as a club, Munich fans came and defended down to earth German media reports against the lunatic English press.

You can be sure if Bayern will be the victim of some big team bullying in the future, no other German fan will even lift an eye.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Reports in Germany suggest Dortmund was annoyed by United trying to play 5d chest when they just wanted to do straight forward business. No waiting games, no cheeky last minute bids, no negotiating, no secret media briefings, no leaked infos to Twitter insiders, just a price tag with a dead line, take it or leave it. Basically like an extension clause. Apparently this was also why Dortmund insisted on intermediaries.

I think during the Sancho saga two different world views collided. United applied bargaining tactics, confident that Dortmund is doing the same and would give in eventually, while the latter had absolutely no intentions to do so at all.

Don't shoot the messenger.
A ridiculously early deadline (the season had barely finished) and ridiculously high price tag in the Covid hit world. All reports were that Dortmund only briefed the deadline to the media and didn't bring it up to the club at all, leading us not to take it seriously and figure it was just part of the bargaining (particularly since they wouldn't talk us themselves).

What Dortmund pulled with those three aspects (deadline, price and refusal to talk between clubs) is pretty much unheard of in footballing transfers so it's hardly surprising that it wasn't taken seriously. Ultimately it looks like Dortmund wanted to pretend to Sancho that they were open to selling him so he wouldn't get too pissed at them, and also wanted to make a statement that they were a big strong club who could hold out for what they wanted, so rather than a complete refusal to sell they put out a completely unrealistic demand knowing it would never be hit. And then milked the media for as much as it was worth that they were refusing to sell. It's within their right to do that, but I'd love to see yourselves and any other team do the same to them when they try to buy players from you. And they ended up with an unhappy player who didn't perform for half the season and who they'll have to sell for a huge amount less now. It really didn't work out for them.

Oh, and in terms of United briefing the media, from memory there was only once or twice where that happened throughout the entire saga. The rest of it was the usual media rubbish that anything related to Utd gets since using our name creates the biggest clickbait headlines in world football. Some of it is pro-Utd, some of it is anti-Utd, almost all of it is bullshit from 'reporters' trying to get attention.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No offence, but I think that's a bit ridiculous. Dare I say quite a few people in Germany sound a bit soft and perhaps slightly naive if that made them fall out of love with United. Even if they did brief the press on the quiet (which I'm not even sure they would have, I don't know though), it's hardly the most heinous act. It's gone on for years, I don't think any club is 'above' briefing the press on occasion. Liverpool undertook a very blatant and obvious campaign to unsettle van Dijk, it's hardly shocking. If that overrides everything positive to do with the club then fair enough (we've also been in the press over the past year or so for positive stuff like paying staff during lockdown, dedication to the club's academy and Rashford's recent campaign for feeding children etc.).
It's just uncommon practice over here. United came across as unprofessionally and fairly egocentric. People were irritatd that they still thought they would get Sancho when it was so blatantly obvious to everyone over here that Dortmund had drawn a line and wouldn't track back. Not just United though, it kind of transferred to the whole British media landscape with all the ITKs etc. We don't have that stuff here.

Anyway, lets not derail this beautiful thread and instead just continue slacking off Bayern, shall we? You talking about soft and thin skinned Germans has actually reminded me of this legendary press conference from two years ago that doesn't receive nearly as much attention as it still deserves. After there was some rather light criticism against a few Bayern players including Müller, Boateng and Hummels, Rummenigge furiously reminded the public that "the dignity of men is unimpeachable" only for Hoeneß to call the performances of former left back Juan Bernat a "Scheissdreck" (dirty shit) just minutes later. Just recently, Hoeneß had described Leverkusen player Karim Bellarabi as mentally ill after a hard tackle on a Bayern player and said about former German international and Bayern player Piotr Trochowski that he "usually can't even speak straightly and now he wants to talk about football politics?" He also claimed that Mesut Özil had played like crap for years by now.

See, a really really likeable club ;)

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Was there anything new to learn about his contract and transfer status? No. His RC and its sum were well known since last summer. He has decided to leave and is now negotiating with 3 clubs, one of them being us. So, what's so horrible about being honest about it?
The press reporting something and Bayern officials confirming something are two different things entirely. You think if a couple of months ago Perez would have come out and said: "yeah Alaba is a goner at Bayern, we're talking to his agent" then Rummenigge's response would have been? "fair enough, Bild has reported it anyway"?