Bayindir HAS to start the next game. [SPOILER]He didn't[/SPOILER]

gaffs

Thought he looked like a normal second choice keeper out there today. i.e. alright yeah. decent enough

He won't replace Onana. Mainly because he's not better at him than anything
I think we need to see more of him. 90 mins against a league two team isnt really enough of a sample size to judge him.

We know from 20+ games from Onana that there is a good chance that he will make a clanger.

Ten Hag wont drop Onana because he is shit scared of Bayindir proving to be better. If that happens, then it is another Ten Hag player that he has wasted 50mil on - another stick to beat him with. Therefore, he will keep playing him and hope he finds form and consistency.

Rake

Can't really judge him based on that game. Not at fault for both games (I believe he was saving that shot if Martinez had not touched it). A bit shaky with his passing but he's had 0 playing time all season that that is to be expected.

I wouldn't mind him starting the next 2-3 games but we know that Onana will be starting the next game.

Yanited__

I thought he was decent for his debut but you have to remember it is against a league 2 side. Wouldn't say he was at fault for any of the goals though.

What I liked most about Bayindir was how quickly he was releasing the ball.

Onana has this really annoying tendency to remain on the ball. This invites pressure which to be fair, he as a GK can cope with on the ball, the problem is his defence/midfield/his teammates cannot. So by the time he releases the ball to say a fullback like Dalot/AWB, the opposition has already pushed up and began their press. Leads to us losing it.

thisisnottaken1

He did pretty well, but this is probably going to be his only game this season. Ten Hag is stubborn and only rotates when he has to.

RuudTom83

I’d give Onana until the weekend to get himself in the right head space.

Bayindir can have the Thursday night game.

Ace

I thought he was decent for his debut but you have to remember it is against a league 2 side. Wouldn't say he was at fault for any of the goals though.

Onana has this really annoying tendency to remain on the ball. This invites pressure which to be fair, he as a GK can cope with on the ball, the problem is his defence/midfield/his teammates cannot. So by the time he releases the ball to say a fullback like Dalot/AWB, the opposition has already pushed up and began their press. Leads to us losing it.
I’ve noticed this all season and in the last few games you can see how much this frustrates his defense. I can’t remember if it was Varane or another CB that was visibly upset with him dwelling on the ball when he had a chance to progress it quickly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The funny thing with going with him than Onana is that its like we have De Gea but worse. But we actually wanted to improve from De Gea.

fps

He's Harry Maguire in gloves.

TrailMonkey

Onana can't be in a good place mentally after his and his team's AFCON performances. It's not like he's coming back having put in world class displays and won the trophy. Hopefully this Turkish lad is confident in his ability and ETH is strong enough to start him tomorrow and back him to properly fight for the number 1.

Grande

I’ve seen Bayindir a few times, and he looked more secure with his feet then. He actually was too slow to release the ball at least three times where it looked a bit shady against Newport, but it’s first time in a new team, new league and horrible pitch etc., so I’m not reading much into that.

TBH with Onana, I think he is using the strategic tool in posession football of inviting pressure to free up space further ahead. It’s very useful for us in being able to not just go route one. The issue, as you say, is that the players ahead often move insufficiently or dither in the next step, leading to turnovers or having to play the ball back. To me, this is to do mostly with injuries and forced rotation, which I hope will improve after a while of having players like Licha, Casemiro etc back in the team.

tomaldinho1

Onana can't be in a good place mentally after his and his team's AFCON performances. It's not like he's coming back having put in world class displays and won the trophy. Hopefully this Turkish lad is confident in his ability and ETH is strong enough to start him tomorrow and back him to properly fight for the number 1.
Expectations on here grounded as always. I'm sure he's clucking to get back to club football, he only played one game in AFCON.

TrailMonkey

Expectations on here grounded as always. I'm sure he's clucking to get back to club football, he only played one game in AFCON.
Yes, but he 'missed' the first game for messing up his travel, then got picked and played shite, then got dropped.

TrailMonkey

Judging by the presser, Onana looks likely to start. FFS

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Yes, but he 'missed' the first game for messing up his travel, then got picked and played shite, then got dropped.
Doesn't Song just not like him? Everyone blamed his cousin for them going out as well, it wasn't even really that bad an error, people just love to slate keepers.

mctrials23

Well his name does sound like banana and he is constantly slipping up. I don’t really like daft nicknames for players, but I’ve seen worse.
You can't give black players nicknames that could be very obviously racist no matter how you can justify them. Come on, thats just common sense.

Bright_Eyes

I think we need to see more of him. 90 mins against a league two team isnt really enough of a sample size to judge him.

We know from 20+ games from Onana that there is a good chance that he will make a clanger.

Ten Hag wont drop Onana because he is shit scared of Bayindir proving to be better. If that happens, then it is another Ten Hag player that he has wasted 50mil on - another stick to beat him with. Therefore, he will keep playing him and hope he finds form and consistency.
Don't buy it. Seeing who plays best in your squad and then playing your best perfomers improves results which is ultimately what he'll be judged on. Being scared of finding out that one player you brought in is better than another is backwards logic, you'd be happy to find out who the best players in your squad are.

Yanited__

I’ve seen Bayindir a few times, and he looked more secure with his feet then. He actually was too slow to release the ball at least three times where it looked a bit shady against Newport, but it’s first time in a new team, new league and horrible pitch etc., so I’m not reading much into that.

TBH with Onana, I think he is using the strategic tool in posession football of inviting pressure to free up space further ahead. It’s very useful for us in being able to not just go route one. The issue, as you say, is that the players ahead often move insufficiently or dither in the next step, leading to turnovers or having to play the ball back. To me, this is to do mostly with injuries and forced rotation, which I hope will improve after a while of having players like Licha, Casemiro etc back in the team.
Yeah I can agree with that. As I said, Onana himself is pretty good on the ball and can play under pressure (mostly). The defence ahead of him can't do it regularly but as you said, with Martinez back and hopefully a regular back 4 things can improve.

gaffs

Don't buy it. Seeing who plays best in your squad and then playing your best perfomers improves results which is ultimately what he'll be judged on. Being scared of finding out that one player you brought in is better than another is backwards logic, you'd be happy to find out who the best players in your squad are.
Normally, i would agree. But just think about how many lemons Ten Hag has bought already. There is huge pressure on him because of this and the fact several players were bought from his ex club or from the Dutch league. When you buy a player from your ex club, it has to work because as a manager you are personally advocating for the signing.

If The £5mil keeper turns to be better than the £50mil keeper that was bought at the same time, then even more questions are going to be asked about Ten Hag's judgement. It also creates a huge amount of tension because the £50mil keeper is suddenly sitting on the bench.

I believe that if Onana had had a good start to his United career, then they wouldn't have been holding him back to play in that Spurs game. He would have gone to the AFCON at the same time as players like Salah and Kudus, who are far more important for their teams. Onana and Ten Hag wanted him to play that game as i believe they both feared Bayindir may have played well in that game, thus creating a problem.

Instead, he rolled up late to the AFCON, missed the first game, made a clanger in the second game and got dropped for the next two. This cant help his confidence coming back to United.