Music Beatles Vs Stones (and other musical head to heads)

Pickle85

Where does everyone land on this? It's a clear win for the Scousers for me but maybe that's because I've just finished listening to Abbey Road. I feel like the Beatles could do pretty much everything - not sure I know of a more versatile band - and do it well. Blues, rock n roll, ballads etc. I just think they had more in their armoury than the stones. In footie terms I guess it's like Keano Vs Makalele.

In other comparisons:

Oasis over Blur
Nas over Jay Z
Paul Simon over Dylan

Pickle85

Stones over Beatles
Blur over Oasis
Jay Z over Nas
Paul Simon over Dylan
Prince over Michael Jackson
Pac over Biggie
Prince over Jacko is a big call and one I'm on board with. Biggie Vs Pac is a good catch - has to be New York for me but it's a photo finish.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nas shits all over Jay Z for me. Never really liked him. Neither Stones nor Beatles do anything for me. Biggie and Pac used to be a massive Pac vote from me, but I've moved to the middle a bit. I remember lypsyncing hit em up into the bathroom mirror. Not a proud memory. Or is it.

That is my expert, middle aged white man's opinion.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Stones over Beatles
Blur over Oasis
Nas over Jay Z
Jackson over Prince although I don't like either one that much

Not the biggest fan of Simon without Garfunkel

Pickle85

Nas shits all over Jay Z for me. Never really liked him. Neither Stones nor Beatles do anything for me. Biggie and Pac used to be a massive Pac vote from me, but I've moved to the middle a bit. I remember lypsyncing hit em up into the bathroom mirror. Not a proud memory. Or is it.

That is my expert, middle aged white man's opinion.
As a similarly middle aged white man I can confirm that lipsyncing Hit em Up into the bathroom mirror is absolutely something to be proud of.

Pickle85

Stones over Beatles
Blur over Oasis
Nas over Jay Z
Jackson over Prince although I don't like either one that much

Not the biggest fan of Simon without Garfunkel
Was a huge shame they fell out but Graceland is probably in my top ten albums of all time.

Pickle85

One thing I think we can all agree on is Sean Paul over Bob Marley.

Pickle85

Stones over Beatles
Oasis over Blur
Nas over Jay Z
Dylan over Simon
Prince over Michael Jackson
Pac over Biggie
Kanye over Kendrick
:eek::eek::eek:. Tbh I agree, controversial though it may be. K dot has lyrics for days but also his flow and voice don't work with me. Kanye is nowhere near Kendrick lyrically but in terms of the beats he has it locked. Though Donda was dross.

Classical Mechanic

:eek::eek::eek:. Tbh I agree, controversial though it may be. K dot has lyrics for days but also his flow and voice don't work with me. Kanye is nowhere near Kendrick lyrically but in terms of the beats he has it locked. Though Donda was dross.
I really like TPAB but MBDTF is probably in my top 5 albums of all time (I've never actually made a list) so Kayne simply on that basis.

Wing Attack Plan R

Stones
Blur
Nas over Jay Z despite both
Paul Simon Dylan bored by both

New matchups: (my picks in bold)

Ramones vs. Sex Pistols
R.E.M. vs. The Smiths
Devo
vs. The Cure
The Stooges vs. T. Rex
Bruce Springsteen vs. Elvis Costello
Tom Waits
vs. Leonard Cohen
Nirvana vs. Arctic Monkeys
Ministry vs. Cabaret Voltaire
Hüsker Dü vs. The Jam

led_scholes

The Clash > Sex Pistols
Led Zeppelin > Black Sabbath
Rainbow > Whitesnake
The Who > The Stones
Humble Pie > The Faces
Iron Maiden > any metal band
Paul Rodgers > Rod Stewart
Elton John > Billy Joel
Lennon > McCartney
Jimi Hendrix > Clapton
Cream > Jimi Hendrix Experience

Pickle85

Stones
Blur
Nas over Jay Z despite both
Paul Simon Dylan bored by both

New matchups: (my picks in bold)

Ramones vs. Sex Pistols
R.E.M. vs. The Smiths
Devo
vs. The Cure
The Stooges vs. T. Rex
Bruce Springsteen vs. Elvis Costello
Tom Waits
vs. Leonard Cohen
Nirvana vs. Arctic Monkeys
Ministry vs. Cabaret Voltaire
Hüsker Dü vs. The Jam
Ramones
REM
Stooges
Waites
Nirvana
Dunno either of them :(
Ditto

Infra-red

Beatles > Stones

Even Richards apparently concedes this one, but doesn't mind admitting it because he knows he (the Stones) are nevertheless great. Jagger on the other hand...

Despite the above, I do think the Stones' music has aged better than the Beatles' and their four consecutive album run from Beggars to Exile is about as good as any in music.

Dante

Average bang
Boyzone v Beatles
Blur v Oasis
Jay Z v Nas
Paul Simon v Dylan
Prince v Michael Jackson
2Pac v Biggie

Dante

Average bang
Beatles > Stones

Even Richards apparently concedes this one, but doesn't mind admitting it because he knows he (the Stones) are nevertheless great. Jagger on the other hand...

Despite the above, I do think the Stones' music has aged better than the Beatles' and their four consecutive album run from Beggars to Exile is about as good as any in music.
“I understand—the Beatles sounded great when they were the Beatles. But there’s not a lot of roots in that music. I think they got carried away. Why not? If you’re the Beatles in the ’60s, you just get carried away—you forget what it is you wanted to do. You’re starting to do Sgt. Pepper. Some people think it’s a genius album, but I think it’s a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—’Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.'”

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/why-keith-richards-hates-the-beatles-sgt-peppers/

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Prince over Jacko is a big call and one I'm on board with. Biggie Vs Pac is a good catch - has to be New York for me but it's a photo finish.
For me Prince takes it over his ridiculous musical talent and output.

Apart from the first, I agree with all of these.

I’ll add Metallica over Megadeth too.
I've no issue saying the Beatles were better, they were, but the Stones were grittier and I really like Keith Richards' tone.

Metallica over Megadeth is correct but perhaps unfair.

Infra-red

“I understand—the Beatles sounded great when they were the Beatles. But there’s not a lot of roots in that music. I think they got carried away. Why not? If you’re the Beatles in the ’60s, you just get carried away—you forget what it is you wanted to do. You’re starting to do Sgt. Pepper. Some people think it’s a genius album, but I think it’s a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like Satanic Majesties—’Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we.'”

Yep, blues/rock'n'roll man Richards has always hated these two "experimental" albums. I can see why and certainly agree with his views on Satanic Majesties, which bar two tracks, is utter shite.

Pickle85

:eek: Sgt Peppers is probably my favourite Beatles Alvin of all time. A mishmash of rubbish is HARSH for an album that has 'With a Little Help From My Friends', 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds', 'Getting Better' and 'She's Leaving Home' on it. It's definitely in the conversation for best Beatles album, along with Abbey Road and the white album. I definitely don't think the Beatles got carried away...I think they got creative.

Irwin99

:eek: Sgt Peppers is probably my favourite Beatles Alvin of all time. A mishmash of rubbish is HARSH for an album that has 'With a Little Help From My Friends', 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds', 'Getting Better' and 'She's Leaving Home' on it. It's definitely in the conversation for best Beatles album, along with Abbey Road and the white album. I definitely don't think the Beatles got carried away...I think they got creative.
I'm a big fan of the Beatles but I always say Sgt. Pepper is 10 out of 10 for imagination but if you look at the quality of some of the songs that you didn't mention (Lovely Rita, 64, reprise, Good morning) then it does have some fluff on it :nervous: It feels like a very Paul-heavy album too and I always preferred John and George's later stuff.

Revolver though :drool:

Pickle85

I'm a big fan of the Beatles but I always say Sgt. Pepper is 10 out of 10 for imagination but if you look at the quality of some of the songs that you didn't mention (Lovely Rita, 64, reprise, Good morning) then it does have some fluff on it :nervous: It feels like a very Paul-heavy album too and I always preferred John and George's later stuff.

Revolver though :drool:
Hahaha, yeah I can see what you mean, though I'm a big fan of 64 and Good Morning. Revolver is indeed :drool: . I think one of the other reasons I'd have the Beatles over the stones is that I could name quite a few meh Stones albums but given how relatively short a time the Beatles were together it's amazing how much they put out and the quality and innovation of it. They could legitimately have a claim on three of the top thirty albums of all time imo.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Mariah > Whitney