Beer Draft - R1: Big Dunk vs EAP

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Big Dunk

EAP

Big Dunk Tactics

Playstyle
: all-action direct football when in possession, deep and compact 4-4-2 when defending.

Key tactical notes: a fluid attack, spearheaded by the aggressive Preben Elkjaer, a hardworking physical dynamo, supported by the graceful playmaker Michael Laudrup, with Arjen Robben and Pierre Littbarski, my two inverted wingers. My attackers will create space and chances for eachother. An abundance of explosive pace, dribbling technique and creativity to wreak havoc. At the base of midfield is Roy Keane, my box-to-box defensive midfielder, and Michael Carrick the holding deep-lying playmaker. Both effective in breaking down my opponent’s attacks, blocking passing lanes and starting quick vertical counter attacks.

Danny McGrain and Denis Irwin offer overlapping support on the flanks for their respective inverted winger. My wingers also give defensive cover for my fullbacks. Both my wingers and fullbacks can swap wings. Franz Beckenbauer, my libero, offers numerical advantage, combinations and overloads in every area of the pitch. His influence is maximised through the positional discipline and intelligence of his teammates. Jurgen Kohler is given man-marking duties. Danny McGrain will be the more conservative fullback.

EAP Tactics

Pretty much self explanatory team playing a balanced 4-3-3. Solid defensive line with probably the best fullback duo in beer country. Stielike shields the defence with van Hanegem and Gerrard offering solid box-to-box creativity and solidity at both ends. Top quality wide men and a versatile forward in Seeler to bring the attack together.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
EAP’s team would be a perfect team in Klopp’s hand. It attach my eyes, tbh.

Will see the discussion later

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Very clean sides.

Some nit picks.

Whilst Stielike can play the holding role well, he would be better suited to a double pivot in midfield so he can get forward more.

I'm a little unsure of Der Kaiser in that type of back 4 with modernish tactics unless Irwin and McGrain are rather reserved which they don't seem to be here. Either it is a bit gung-ho or Der Kaiser is somewhat limited.

BIG DUNK

Tank
Even if we look at the defenders Beckenbauer played with, this should dispel the myth you need an ultra conservative set up in order to get the best out of him (the more limited players around him the less Beckenbauer is maximised):

[HOTTGES/VOGTS] McGrain would be my defensive fullback, doesn’t need to be right sided centreback playing at rightback.

[BREITNER] The fullback on the left flank can be adventurous. Irwin is the most consistent two way fullback from his era. You don’t need a left centreback in his position

[SCHWARZENBECK] a centreback who was in no way a sitting/reserved stopper. He would still join attacks. Kohler is an elite man-marking partner for Der Kaiser.

Carrick is an underrated all-time defensive midfielder. His defensive quality is worldclass and the sitting playmaker I need to control from deep where Beckenbauer would venture forward. Keane offers yet more protection. As long as we have at least 3 players deep (of those 6) it is balanced. Modern teams either go with 2 or 3 at the deepest base.

Last edited:

BIG DUNK

Tank
Carrick in the deep double pivot (superior to a ‘destroyer’-type midfielder foil with Beckenbauer):

Scholes’ creativity is upgraded with the box to box combativeness of Keane, and high IQ playmaking of Beckenbauer. Keane is also an excellent passer (perhaps the Premier League’s greatest 3-phase of play midfielder).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Whilst Stielike can play the holding role well, he would be better suited to a double pivot in midfield so he can get forward more.
Though his successful Real Madrid stint was in a more expansive role, his peak was a defensive pivot....floating between the lines of midfield and defence and making plays from the deep with his passing. Both for Gladbach and for Germany, he was superb doing this.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Even if we look at the defenders Beckenbauer played with, this should dispel the myth you need an ultra conservative set up in order to get the best out of him (the more limited players around him the less Beckenbauer is maximised):

[HOTTGES/VOGTS] McGrain would be my defensive fullback, doesn’t need to be right sided centreback playing at rightback.

[BREITNER] The fullback on the left flank can be adventurous. Irwin is the most consistent two way fullback from his era. You don’t need a left centreback in his position

[SCHWARZENBECK] a centreback who was in no way a sitting/reserved stopper. He would still join attacks. Kohler is an elite man-marking partner for Der Kaiser.

Carrick is an underrated all-time defensive midfielder. His defensive quality is worldclass and the sitting playmaker I need to control from deep where Beckenbauer would venture forward. Keane offers yet more protection. As long as we have at least 3 players deep (of those 6) it is balanced. Modern teams either go with 2 or 3 at the deepest base.
I agree your defence is similar to the Germany 72 side but I think with the more organised play of today you would want more reserved play from Irwin here. That said the more I think about it with Keane and Carrick in front it could work well. I like Carrick and yes he is very underated.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
After considering this further please note I withdraw my vote for EAP. This is a draw for me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I withdrew my vote before 1pm UK time and the poll eneded at 1:04pm. Check the time I posted the message. BD wins.
Damn.. that's kinda harsh.

It's like ruling out a 40 yarder goal on centimeters offside by VAR.

Last edited: