Behind the Curtain draft (Eastern Europe) | 1/8 | Downcast vs Jayvin 14:0

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

@Downcast _____________________________________________________ @Jayvin

The draft thread with lots of additional information

Write-ups on specific players

Downcast

DC-ANDERS TEAM - STRATEGY? DOMINATE THE MIDFIELD, SET THE TEMPO AND OFFER A DIVERSIFIED & UNSTOPPABLE OFFENSIVE STRATEGY
PLEASE CLICK ON THE NAMES TO ACCESS TO THE FULL PLAYER PROFILE

Ferenc PUSKAS - The Scorer - The greatest Eastern European footballer of All-Times?

"The Galloping Major" was one of the most prolific scorers ever: 662 Goals in 669 Games as a professional player. He had great striking technique and was a deadly goal finisher with his precision left-foot, one of the greatest shooters ever. He always performed a formidable ball control to the nearby penalty box area and shot by himself or assist to his teammate.
Kipiani - Playmaking-Attacking Midfielder - Creativity, passing skills and decisive goals... To be explained below
A Total Football artist who contributed to the only one success of Georgia at the club level.
UEFA Cup Winner 1981+ Soviet Footballer of the year 1977
Vukas - Left Wing-Forward - The Greatest Croatian player? - 300 goals in 615 games
Excellent technical player with very good stamina, able to score from every angle and deliver assists to a player in a better position. He could be found on every attacking position during the game. Many football experts said that he was the best European player during the 1954/1955 season.
In 2000 he was elected for the best Croatian football player of all times.
Chislenko - The best right winger in Soviet history - Percussion and combination - 2 WC played -> 4 goals in 8 games
Please click here :drool: to watch streamable links
Panenka - Our Deep-lying Playmaker - Maestro/Conductor who made his country win the Euro 1976 as a Captain
Collective player whose main skills are: vision, availability, passing and distribution skills
UEFA European Football Championship Team of the Tournament: 1976
Voynov- Defensive Midfielder - High work-rate, simplicity and reliability - Bobek will be his target
One of the best Central midfielders in the history of the Soviet football.
Selected to the 1958 FIFA World Cup team of the tournament.
Popescu - One of the greatest Eastern European defenders - Former Captain of FC Barcelona
Beside from his defending skills, his is also capable of using the ball and starting attacks from deep with his technical and playmaking abilities.
Dinu - Reliable Sweeper
Very elegant player with trademark long diagonal 40 meters passes, good technician and with solid pace. One of the key members of Romania during the 1970 World Cup and was even nominated for the Ballon d'Or that year.
Zebec - The perfect player to block Lato thanks to his skills and pace - Zebec-Vukas is a successful proven partnership
One of the greatest players in Yugoslavian who fascinated the world with his performances at the World Cups in 1954 and 1958. A highly versatile player noted for his physical abilities and understanding of the game, he was world class whether on the left wing or in the more defensive role of left fullback.
Tomislav Crnković - Reliable RB
Part of the team that won silver at the 1952 Olympics, and was also a member of Yugoslavia's 1954 and 1958 FIFA World Cup squads.
Tomaszewski -The greatest Polish GK - Best Goalkeeper in the 1974 WC -The man who stopped England

Jayvin

Player Profiles:
Igor Netto
Stjepan Bobek
Hans-Jurgen Dorner
Ivan Kolev
Buljan, Penev and Boloni

Game Plan/Playstyle:

3-4-3/5-3-2 – Fast Tempo, based on quick short-passing and pacey dribblers able to carry the ball forward, a rock-solid and technically excellent midfield and rounded off with exceptional movement and finishing from the front 3.

Hard working, attack-minded wingbacks and excellent ball carriers will help to keep the opposition fullbacks pinned back when my wide forwards cut inside, while my versatile central defenders are able to cover multiple positions - centrally or on the flanks - if the wingbacks are caught out.

My midfielders are capable of supporting both phases of play; strong in defence with crunching tackles and endless stamina, but most importantly both crisp, incisive passers of the ball and adept at playing a high-tempo short-passing game. Dorner will provide another body in midfield and his rampaging runs forward will help to unsettle my opponents.

Up front Stjepan Bobek will play as a false-nine, allowing him to showcase his best attributes - his dribbling, passing and finishing. Lato and Kolev will play as wide forwards, cutting inside when Bobek drops deeper into an attacking midfield role. Both Lato and Kolev had excellent scoring records for wide players and were great finishers, while Bobek amassed over 400 goals in under 500 games.

Making It Work:

Using quick, incisive short passing and the vertical movement and ball carrying abilities of Dorner and Bobek on either side of the midfield duo I aim to pull opposition players out of position and create space for runners.

In particular the movement and versatility across my attack will be a huge headache for Downcasts team, with the constant movement of Bobek and the wide-forwards pulling his defenders out of position. Both of my wide-forwards are comfortable hugging the line or cutting inside to shoot and supported by strong, hardworking wing-backs overlapping on the outside and the imperious Bobek in the middle, my team should pose a challenge for even the strongest defences.

A huge part of making my system work in general is the versatility of my squad, not just the attack. Jankulovski and Salihamidzic both played as wingers, wing-backs and full-backs during their careers and are comfortable in any role. Dorner can cover Left Back or CB, while Buljan was an all-rounder who could (and did) play anywhere across the backline or in midfield. Netto and Boloni are excellent box-to-box midfielders adept at defending and attacking, and as has been mentioned my attackers are also comfortable in a variety of positions. All in all I feel I’ve assembled a squad and a system that should prove hard to break down, with a solid base of hard-working, intelligent players and a sprinkling of flair and pace providing a dangerous and unpredictable attack.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
EURO 1960 - The Victory of the Blood Brothers: Netto & Voynov - 1st EURO edition

EURO 1960 Final

EURO 1964 - 2nd edition of the tournament - Chislenko reached the final

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think both managers have done really well here - two very strong sides.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Zebec will want to be pushing forward quite regularly on that left side and with Vukas/Panenka not offering a lot of support defensively, coupled with the movement of Bobek dragging his marker Voynov around, there is little support on that flank against Salihamidzic and Lato.

Also I thought Crnkovic was a left back/centreback, did he play RB as well?

Will add more thoughts soon, epic tennis match going on right now

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
From what i know Puskas liked to play in that zone where you would find Vukas and if there was someone else i wouldnt see that as a big deal but Vukas was a ball hog of the highest order, very selfish player who needed to be the central figure of the team.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
From what i know Puskas liked to play in that zone where you would find Vukas and if there was someone else i wouldnt see that as a big deal but Vukas was a ball hog of the highest order, very selfish player who needed to be the central figure of the team.
I know Vukas likes to dribble and you're right to say he was one of the greatest players in the World in the 50s. He was a Super Star. Now, I'm of those who have always thought the greatest players can work and shine together. And the History of the Game has demonstrated this assertion. If you look at the successful Real Madrid in the 50s, you can see Puskas shined with big egos like Di Stefano, Gento, Kopa & co. Another example is I am sure that players like Zlatan & Cr7 can play together and generate great synergies.

I've taken into account the fact that Vukas likes to influence the game and that is why, he is surrounded by collective players like Kipiani, Voynov and Panenka.

To illustrate my point, please open the spoiler and you would see a player like Panenka enables me to get the right balance in terms of allocation of egos. Panenka is extremely mobile and always looking for space.

Now, what are my expectations? I expect Vukas to dribble and attract the attention of the midfielders so that Puskas would have the room to score and combine with Kipiani.

In other words, I have chosen the Real Madrid version of Puskas contrary to the 'Hungary version' where he used to play as inside-left striker. In any case, we are talking of one of the best scorers in the History of the Game: Mister 662 goals in 669 games. So, I'm not shocked by his positioning :D

And Di Stefano was a unique player, a GOAT who operates all over the pitch

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Interesting to see Puskas playing as a No. 9. People have been quite dogmatic about him being best used as a second striker before, an assessment I didn't agree with at the time. This could be problematic however:

Regarding Bobek as a false 9 for Jayvin, from the little research I've done on him the focus seems to be on his dribbling and finishing skills. Have you found much to support his passing and playmaking abilities @Jayvin ?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Now, I'm of those who have always thought the greatest players can work and shine together.
Same, but the problem is i dont think every great player can work with others. I always look on the mental side of the game not only too which role they are categorized. For example majority of people here think that Messi and Cristiano are a perfect match, and on paper they are tbf. Messi as a false nine and Rony as a inside forward but im 99% sure that duo wouldnt work. Think cal once built attack trio of Ibra, Rony and Messi and i thought it was awful, great players just forced into one side rather then picking one and building around him.

And the History of the Game has demonstrated this assertion. If you look at the successful Real Madrid in the 50s, you can see Puskas shined with big egos like Di Stefano, Gento, Kopa & co.
The problem is, Di Stefano like Messi and Pele was the ultimate team mate.

Another example is I am sure that players like Zlatan & Cr7 can play together and generate great synergies.
Thats where we lose each other, i think they would be wank together as both need to be the main man in their teams.

Will do some more research on Panenka and others before i vote as well as check closely on jayvins team as i didnt yet, just checked lineups and saw Puskas and Vukas so decided to comment on that :)

harms

Staff
Same, but the problem is i dont think every great player can work with others. I always look on the mental side of the game not only too which role they are categorized. For example majority of people here think that Messi and Cristiano are a perfect match, and on paper they are tbf. Messi as a false nine and Rony as a inside forward but im 99% sure that duo wouldnt work. Think cal once built attack trio of Ibra, Rony and Messi and i thought it was awful, great players just forced into one side rather then picking one and building around him.
I won a draft with Cristiano - MvB - Messi but I fully agree with them being not really complimentary. Messi would still probably make it work, but there definitely would be a clash of personalities

harms

Staff
Chislenko was quite prolific at his peak (being the best NT goalscorer in the world for a year with 10 goals for USSR), Vukas I don't know much about but Puskas should be in his element. The system looks fluid enough for him to feel comfortable in that role

Enigma_87

You know who
Regarding Bobek as a false 9 for Jayvin, from the little research I've done on him the focus seems to be on his dribbling and finishing skills. Have you found much to support his passing and playmaking abilities @Jayvin ?
He started as a natural goalscorer who played more as a striker in the beginning of his career then moved a bit deeper and linked midfield with attack. I don't think he's a great playmaker to be honest. More of a direct, skillful player who was great on the ball. With excellent ball skills, not so reliant on pace(like Dobrin, Sekularac) and not as explosive as Sekularac. One of the leaders for the Yugoslav team at the time along with Cik, Beara, Vukas, Boskov, Zebec and Stankovic

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think Zebec will want to be pushing forward quite regularly on that left side and with Vukas/Panenka not offering a lot of support defensively, coupled with the movement of Bobek dragging his marker Voynov around, there is little support on that flank against Salihamidzic and Lato.
I understand he has the required stamina to be a complete LB capable to bring something offensively when possible. I won't deploy him as a LWB.

You should also take into account that Chislenko is a truly 'Soviet player', a disciplined player capable to defend and play in a 4-4-2 system.

Wasn't Stankovic and then later Durkovic the RB for those Yugoslavian team ? I don't think Crnkovic ever played as RB for national team at least, he seem very much a left sided defender.
I understand he was versatile but I will try to find some videos/relevant credentials tonight

Moby

Dick
Zebec looks great in that role, especially as he can seamlessly cover when Pop goes forward. Bit of a bummer for Jay as Lato will have a tough game having come against Zebec.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I will come back in 2-3 hours. In the meantime, please feel free to ask your questions.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That Panenka as some sort of Cm/B2B doesn't seem right, though.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Wasn't Stankovic and then later Durkovic the RB for those Yugoslavian team ? I don't think Crnkovic ever played as RB for national team at least, he seem very much a left sided defender.
Yeah, at the international level, he was deployed as a CB or LB because Stankovic and Durkovic were better RB. He was better as a LB but decent as a RB.

That Panenka as some sort of Cm/B2B doesn't seem right, though.
The pure defensive midfielder is Voynov. Panenka isn't a B2B but rather an 'offensive CM' whose best skills are the organizational ones IMO

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PANENKA MORE THAN A PENALTY TAKER ----> FOCUS ON HIS PERFORMANCES AGAINST FRANCE IN 1979

A good overview of his style of play IMO

Long passing skills intended for pacy offensive players

Below, the 1st player with the ball is Panenka outside the penalty area and you can see 5 other players in the penalty area

Panenka to launch the LWF...

.... OR THE RW

A GAME WITH PANENKA ON THE PITCH WITHOUT A PANENKA? :nono::nono:

Last edited:

Jayvin

He started as a natural goalscorer who played more as a striker in the beginning of his career then moved a bit deeper and linked midfield with attack. I don't think he's a great playmaker to be honest. More of a direct, skillful player who was great on the ball. With excellent ball skills, not so reliant on pace(like Dobrin, Sekularac) and not as explosive as Sekularac. One of the leaders for the Yugoslav team at the time along with Cik, Beara, Vukas, Boskov, Zebec and Stankovic
Yeah sounds about right. He doesn't need to be Xavi for me, for the most part he will be playing relatively simple short-passes and one-two's and his main job will be utilizing his excellent technique and movement to create space for Lato and Kolev to run into. I can see both Dinu and Popescu (the former usually employed as a midfielder by his club side) pushing up wanting to track Bobek when he drops deeper, leaving room in behind.

Tactical change

Jayvin

Tactical change and sub (if that's allowed).

Yakimov on to replace Kolev to provide more creativity and spark in the middle, giving Bobek and Lato more freedom to get into the box and unleashing their goalscoring prowess.

Penev and Buljan swapped positions so Buljan can easily cover RB if Salihamidzic is caught out while Netto can cover for Jankulovski.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Brutal score line that. Quite a big fan of Dorner, Bobek, Netto, Lato and Kolev.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Brutal score line that. Quite a big fan of Dorner, Bobek, Netto, Lato and Kolev.
Very well put together side. It's just he's up against a galactico side in the context of this draft and made his team look workmanlike in comparison.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yakimov is joining us. My understanding is that @Jayvin wants to strengthen his midfield.

Yeah. Jayvin has a superb offensive trio, Netto and a good defensive line.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Dimitar Nikolov Yakimov (Bulgarian: Димитър Якимов) (born August 12, 1941), is one of the players of the Bulgarian football team CSKA Sofia, sometimes called "the poet of football" for his dribbling skills. Yakimov is arguably the greatest playmaker Bulgaria has ever produced. Many people rate him higher than the great Hristo Stoichkov and Hristo Bonev. He was also the idol of young Hristo Stoichkov.

Yakimov played a decisive role in probably the most important victories of the Bulgarian national team in the 1960s. He scored the winning goal for Bulgaria in the World Cup qualifier play-off against France, played on a neutral field in Italy in 1961, leading his country to its first participation in World Cup finals.

In Italy, four years later, his precise long pass cut the whole Belgian defense, reaching Georgi Asparuhov in a clear scoring position to seal another famous victory which sent Bulgaria to the World Cup in England. On a club level, Yakimov reached the semifinal of the Cup of European Champions with CSKA Sofia in 1967. His career was ended prematurely in the early 1970s, although he was neither injured, nor with declining skills. He still can be seen occasionally playing for the CSKA veterans. The most successful Bulgarian player of all time, Hristo Stoichkov (CSKA, Barcelona), has pointed out Yakimov as a big inspiration of his youth.

Yakimov against Garincha :D

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I can see both Dinu and Popescu (the former usually employed as a midfielder by his club side) pushing up wanting to track Bobek when he drops deeper, leaving room in behind.
You're right to suggest he was successful as a midfielder, especially with Roumania in 94 and Barcelona later.

I've read many forums and the consensus is rather to say he was a central defender at his prime.

HONOURS:

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1997 (as captain of FC Barcelona)
UEFA Cup 2000 (with Galatasaray)
UEFA Super Cup 2000 (with Galatasaray)
Romanian championship 1987/88
Dutch championship 1990/91, 1991/92
Turkish championship 1997/98, 1998/99, 1999/00
Romanian Cup 1988
Dutch Super Cup 1993
Spanish Cup 1997
Romanian Footballer of the Year 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996

USSR 0-2 Romania. World Cup 1990

Jayvin

You're right to suggest he was successful as a midfielder, especially with Roumania in 94 and Barcelona later.

I've read many forums and the consensus is rather to say he was a central defender at his prime.
I was referring to Dinu playing mostly as a midfielder at club level, Popescu I definitely see as a CB first and foremost. Thanks for the Yakimov write-up btw :D

Anyway well played, nice write-ups and a good side you assembled, good luck for the rest of the tournament.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Downcast

In 90 WC Popescu was the sweeper, Belodedici was banned from Romania and sentenced to jail even. Around that time he moved to Red Star.

In 94 WC Popescu was deployed in midfield it was Belodedici organizing the defence that year with Prodan and Petrescu alongside him.

In 98 he was very good as a sweeper and they lost narrowly to Suker led Croatia in the second round.

It's a pity that Belodedici and Popescu didn't work out in defence as IMO they were great individually but not so as a unit.

Also their respective peaks didn't come at the same time. Belodedici's peak was IMO at Red Star and at Steaua. After that 94 WC where IMO he was also excellent he faded away.

IMO both are around the same level and the best ball playing CB's along with Vasovic.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I was referring to Dinu playing mostly as a midfielder at club level, Popescu I definitely see as a CB first and foremost. Thanks for the Yakimov write-up btw :D

Anyway well played, nice write-ups and a good side you assembled, good luck for the rest of the tournament.
Thank you mate.

The final result is mainly explained by the Puskas factor, factor that would be discounted in the next rounds because the remaining teams would be in a position to accumulate many great players. Another reason is you have less shiny names. Also, I was lucky to have Zebec against the super star Lato: the story-telling would have been different if I had an average LB.

@Downcast

In 90 WC Popescu was the sweeper, Belodedici was banned from Romania and sentenced to jail even. Around that time he moved to Red Star.

In 94 WC Popescu was deployed in midfield it was Belodedici organizing the defence that year with Prodan and Petrescu alongside him.

In 98 he was very good as a sweeper and they lost narrowly to Suker led Croatia in the second round.

It's a pity that Belodedici and Popescu didn't work out in defence as IMO they were great individually but not so as a unit.

Also their respective peaks didn't come at the same time. Belodedici's peak was IMO at Red Star and at Steaua. After that 94 WC where IMO he was also excellent he faded away.

IMO both are around the same level and the best ball playing CB's along with Vasovic.
Good to know.

As you know, my intention wasn't to rank the central defenders. Some prefer Beldodeici, others Popescu or Stefanescu called in Roumania 'The Minister of Defence'!

I was sure you will defend Belodedici :D

Enigma_87

You know who
For some reason I keep forgetting Sammer is in the draft :lol: Point taken.

Thank you mate.
Good to know.

As you know, my intention wasn't to rank the central defenders. Some prefer Beldodeici, others Popescu or Stefanescu called in Roumania 'The Minister of Defence'!

I was sure you will defend Belodedici :D

Nah I was referring to position and level in general rather to rank them in numbers. Love them all(Sammer included) - outstanding defenders.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks to the participants and voters who have unconsciously opted for the 'historical truth'.

Below Kipiani (Tbilissi) who scored a goal against a defence comprised of... Buljan (Hamburg).:wenger:

harms

Staff
Bloody hell, just seen the score. I know that we always say that the score is harsh if there is a big gap but this is truly ridiculous. Great team @Jayvin, hopefully Lato, Dörner and Netto, at least, will feature later in the draft