Behind the Curtain draft (Eastern Europe) | QF | green_smiley vs Downcast 8:6

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Its not so much that he can't play CM just that it seems like the role you are asking of him doesn't really maximize his strengths at all. Part of a midfield center 2 in a 4231 on the RCM slot just seems odd to me, at least for the handful of matches of Milan c.90-94 I re-watched last few months. I think your front 3 is fantastic but Downcast has more balanced midfield. Both defenses I think are poor matches for the offenses on display so midfield settles it for me.
That's a pretty fair assessment I think.

Personally I'd be more inclined to vote Downcast if he swapped Voynov to the right and Bozsik to the left. Zebec can take care of Lato with Crnkovic covering (he's a perfect fit in that role) and I don't think he needs the extra support on that side from Voynov.

Jayvin

Changed my vote 3 times already :lol:
Alright, I'm going to stick with Dzajic. Probably.
Yeah I've been tempted to change too. Downcast has a massive 'LOOK AT ME' weakness at RB, but once you get past that he has a lot going for him. Still, I can't really get over that glaring weakness, and he hasn't really addressed it at all in the discussion aside from 'Dzajic isn't that good'. Still not convinced.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally I'd be more inclined to vote Downcast if he swapped Voynov to the right and Bozsik to the left. Zebec can take care of Lato with Crnkovic covering (he's a perfect fit in that role) and I don't think he needs the extra support on that side from Voynov.
That's a good point. Both played on the right of a midfield two but Voynov's defensive game will be needed more there to somehow limit :houllier:'s left wing (to an extent).

Don't agree about Lato being kept out of the game by Zebec + Crnkovic though (plus don't forget about Lewa there)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Its not so much that he can't play CM just that it seems like the role you are asking of him doesn't really maximize his strengths at all. Part of a midfield center 2 in a 4231 on the RCM slot just seems odd to me, at least for the handful of matches of Milan c.90-94 I re-watched last few months. I think your front 3 is fantastic but Downcast has more balanced midfield. Both defenses I think are poor matches for the offenses on display so midfield settles it for me.
Aye, I'd agree with this, it's not quite optimal. Although not far off as I think it's fair to say that he wouldn't have got away with playing in a defensively stingy Capello four-man midfield without being tactically astute and contributing off the ball.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sorry busy morning

@Downcast Boban can play in different positions in midfield

Even during his Milan days, he was often deployed as central midfielder. An example is shown in below video taken from CL league game against Goteborg

With Croatia and Milan AC, Boban was deployed in a system where you had:

- a defensive unit of 6 player
- an offensive unit of 4 players including Boban who has direct access to the striker(s)

So, I consider him as a versatile attacking midfieler.

My opinion is not biaised as you can see below

Tough choice.

I voted for mazhar because he has a great CB pairing.

Surprised by your presentations. I would have made something like that:

------ Galic ----
Meskhi ------- Skoblar

I understand Galic is a striker, a guy who was top scorer of some competitions.

On the other hand,

--- Dobrin ---- Boban
------ Zanetic ------

My cosmetic views :)
And the battle Hidegkuti+Bozsic VS Boban + Zanetic is a decisive factor

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What a comeback! And a little surprised to see the Hungarians out in the QF.
Brilliant drafting, @Downcast, a little more luck (like not facing the best left winger in this draft or even maybe ever without a proper right back) and you would've made the final, that's for sure.

Congratulations to :houllier:!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
almost voted against you though, because of Vukas not Dzajic. After you got Bozsik and Hidegkuti i was "hoping" you will drop him and move Puskas to the inside left with Zebec behind him.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's a good point. Both played on the right of a midfield two but Voynov's defensive game will be needed more there to somehow limit :houllier:'s left wing (to an extent).

Don't agree about Lato being kept out of the game by Zebec + Crnkovic though (plus don't forget about Lewa there)
This is what I meant earlier by running riot. Zebec's fine but you don't have LBs single-handedly stopping wingforwards of that quality. It's only ever the result of a combined team effort.

The problem is here you badly needed that on both flanks + had Lewa through the middle. I simply couldn't see that defence coping with that at all.

Jayvin

I just meant that a versatile LB/CB like Crnkovic is great cover for Zebec against a player like Lato who will want to come inside and shoot, not that they will completely nullify him. Bad choice of words on my part. The big threat was obviously Dzajic as virtually everyone pointed out, yet Downcast had his defensive midfielder over on the left when Dinu was screaming out for some support.

Anyway congrats green_smiley and unlucky Downcast, tough draw and you nearly pulled it off!