Behind the Curtain draft (Eastern Europe) | QF | Raees vs Moby 8:6

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
PL is starting so I'm going to be off now, until the end of our game.

I've said my piece and elaborating on the specifics as much as I could, so if you like it and think it works, vote for it!

At the end of the day the biggest thing is coming up with a tactical setup and seeing how convincing it is for others, I tried that with building the team around the likes of Sammer, Streltsov and Stojkovic and it was quite enjoyable overall. Definitely a team I would love to watch in full flow and consider it one of my better efforts personally.

Anyway, see ya in a bit. Was a good discussion so far, Raees!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Not really a fan of the Netto-Balakov duo and would have preferred someone slightly more defensive in one of those slots, despite it being a back 5 and both of them being industrious and fairly complete midfielders. Can't see them gaining a handle on both of Masopust and Albert, one of them is bound to slip through here and have some joy in this match-up. Likewise Shalamanov and Subotic in particular do stick out like sore thumbs and Raees's inside forwards could be well placed to capitalise on them, despite the presence of Sammer who'd also have to mind Asparuhov.

That being said, that attack is a thing of beauty and Stojkovic-Streltsov-Kocsis will thrive in this game with the creative cast behind them and the attacking wing-back duo.

Would have preferred a wide forward in Raees's attack but that being said, he does have two excellent and complete full-backs and I believe Ivanov and Willimowski could very well exploit Aldo's weaknesses in defense, whereas Raees's defense is much better suited to squaring up against Aldo's attack.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
PL is starting so I'm going to be off now, until the end of our game.

I've said my piece and elaborating on the specifics as much as I could, so if you like it and think it works, vote for it!

At the end of the day the biggest thing is coming up with a tactical setup and seeing how convincing it is for others, I tried that with building the team around the likes of Sammer, Streltsov and Stojkovic and it was quite enjoyable overall. Definitely a team I would love to watch in full flow and consider it one of my better efforts personally.

Anyway, see ya in a bit. Was a good discussion so far, Raees!
Same mate, lets hope Swansea and United do the business. Catch you later.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I watched matches of Igor Netto before the game stated and he isn't this 'play-making' midfielder you make him out to be. He was a B2B general but it was his defensive game which was amazing. He had great anticipation, elegant tackling, swept up stuff and he could beat a man or two before releasing it with a simple pass. Whereas Masopust is definitely ahead of him in the game-controlling playmaking stakes. He had much more flair to his game and he's scored thrice as many goals in his career.

Netto is more like a Keane/Carrick hybrid, gifted yes, but more simple but efficient passer.. he isn't a virtuoso on the ball. He's actually a good fit there with Balakov slightly ahead, only issue is that Balakov is on the wrong side so they're not compatible in that sense but where you have Netto is bang on the money.
You're a little wrong about Netto. And he played in a more restricted role for the NT while his offensive qualities, passing, dribbling etc. shone brightest when he played for Spartak (whose style was based on a passing game, one twos etc.)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You're a little wrong about Netto. And he played in a more restricted role for the NT while his offensive qualities, passing, dribbling etc. shone brightest when he played for Spartak (whose style was based on a passing game, one twos etc.)
No worries my bad, I've just looked at international games, which to be fair is how he will be utilised here as Balakov is more attacking.

harms

Staff
Never watched Shesternyov and i dont know anything about him other then he has a reputation of being a great sweeper so im asking the question not making any statements :)
He played as both sweeper and stopper and was a complete defender a la Figueroa (without the world class technique though and, obviously, a lesser player overall) - not Scirea or Beckenbauer-esque libero. A good fit for Vasovic, imo.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm not convinced on Aldo's defence personally.

From what I recall of Shalamanov he was a right back and I don't personally buy the Thuram comparison. Thuram excelled as both a centre back (in two and three man defences) and as a right back which is why he's such a perfect fit for the RCB position.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Good match this.
Raees defense is just rock solid with a back 5 as good as it gets in this draft IMO. Midfield looks spot on. However, I think Moby's tactics and Kocsis in particular are ideally suited to breaking through the defense. Also that 3 at the back formation even if the LCB and RCB are a bit underwhelming matches up well against a narrow 4231. It gets the most out of Sammer, Jarni and Srna IMO which is great for Kocsis. Tough to decide on this one for me.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Really like the look of Moby's team but Subotic, Shalamanov and Balakov ruin the perfect picture, he's 3 players away from being basically unbeatable
:confused: You mean him being on the right or there at all? He would easily be a top 5 pick for the left role in a diamond IMO, arguably top 3. No way he ruins a perfect picture if played properly.

harms

Staff
:confused: You mean him being on the right or there at all? He would easily be a top 5 pick for the left role in a diamond IMO, arguably top 3. No way he ruins a perfect picture if played properly.
On the right - it should be only one from Netto - Balakov on the left there and I rate Netto higher, not that Balakov is in any way bad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well looks like this is done. Good game Raees and good luck!
Jeez, what a tight one. You were the guy I was fearing most to be honest when the draw was made because your team looked very 'final ready' for the QF stage.. so not sure how I made it through. Unlucky mate!

harms

Staff
Jeez, what a tight one. You were the guy I was fearing most to be honest when the draw was made because your team looked very 'final ready' for the QF stage.. so not sure how I made it through. Unlucky mate!
I'd say that

----------------------------- Albert
---------------Masopust -------------- Kada
Demyanenko - Shesternyov - Vasovic - Stankovic
--------------------------- Dasaev

are all final ready themselves, and the other attackers aren't that bad, even if they aren't the shiniest names around

Enigma_87

You know who
I'd say that

----------------------------- Albert
---------------Masopust -------------- Kada
Demyanenko - Shesternyov - Vasovic - Stankovic
--------------------------- Dasaev

are all final ready themselves, and the other attackers aren't that bad, even if they aren't the shiniest names around
Indeed. Those there are final ready as well. Raees needs to upgrade his forward line and is one of the best possible team in the pool.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bit late to the party here, but liked Aldo's innovative use of Shalamanov on the right of a back three. Not that he had any pedigree as a centre-half, but he certainly had the attributes and defensive robustness for the very job. Bit of a hipster choice there ;) @Moby but he looked credible there for me. Subotic less so.