Being a season ticket holder in a post-COVID-19 world

Parma Dewol

For those who have season tickets, or those contemplating getting one, what are your thoughts on the future of going to games at Old Trafford, or at any other ground for that matter?

Appreciate that a lot of this discussion will be conjecture - we don't know which way the virus is going to go next month, let alone next year - but it's still an important point for supporters.

Personally, I love going to the games and nothing beats the feeling of match day, but I can't see us being at Old Trafford anytime soon. And even if we are, a reduced capacity would really diminish the attraction, and if we're wearing masks, the atmosphere will not be the same.

Some supporters will have other factors to consider, too. Cost is likely to be more of an issue as the economic impact of the pandemic ripples through society. There's obviously a concern about safety - plenty of elderly folk might be put off. For us there's also the matter of getting to the ground. The wife and I always go by coach with our local supporters club, but whether or not that coach will continue to run is a huge question mark (how do you socially distance on a coach, particularly when most have had a few before the journey back?), and we wouldn't really want to take the car; the coach is part of the fun.

How the clubs decide to go about renewals will play a major role in our decisions, but while they figure out how to proceed, what are your thoughts on the matter? Would be interesting to hear from United supporters as well as supporters of other clubs, some of which I understand have already laid out their season ticket renewal guidelines.

pascell

As you say, nothing beats the feeling of matchday, something I'll not take for granted even on those very, very cold nights walking to and from the stadium!

I don't think we'll be seeing fans in stadiums until next season now and probably won't see full stadiums until 2022, unless a vaccine is created before then.

Might come across as a bit of a stiff here but personally, I have no interest in going back until it's 100% safe and we're actually allowed to chant/shout. I mean, getting behind the players by being vocal is the main reason we go, so to take that away it just wouldn't be the same experience at all.

K Stand Knut

I won’t set foot in the ground until I know the part I sit in will be full of the usual lads who I stand with and all the lads I drink pre- and post-game with can go.

It’ll be shit without the atmosphere and ballooning that I’m used to and have little to no interest in it if is partly full.

I’d rather give up my ticket until full capacity is allowed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I don't want to get on a tram at the moment, never mind a matchday tram. Getting stuck in the tunnels/bottlenecks leaving OT sounds horrible. The concourse will be a pretty miserable affair. I don't mind taking the car, I don't mind arriving early (especially if I'm with someone) but I'm not sure how happy I'd be about leaving late to avoid the crush.

I normally go to the match with my brother (in his late 70s) though our tickets are in different parts of the ground (I can't get a move lower, he doesn't want to go higher). I don't think he'll want to go. If he did want to go, I doubt he'll want a stranger sat close right now - so unless United could do something to support "household bubbles" he just won't go. It's a turn off for me as well, and going alone is probably the last straw, so (barring some scientific breakthrough) I can't see myself going either this season.

The women's team though? If they open more of LSV, and let us spread 3000 fans (or whatever) around the place - that sounds fine. Car to the ground, no real bottle necks around the stadium, space around household bubbles. I can imagine doing that. United sent me a survey about it yesterday, I guess that was preparation for a test event - which I assume is now back on indefinite hold again.

EwanI Ted

I dont think it would bother me too much. The lack of atmosphere might be a shame, but that can't be helped and it'll return in time. I usually meet in the pub and go for one afterwards with my mates, but if that becomes a couple of cans on the grass at the quadrant instead, well I can live with that, so I dont think the overall social side would be too impacted. If getting there became a real headache because of train or coach capacity, that could be an issue for some people. I already admire those guys you meet at the game who've driven up from some far flung place down south to attend a midweek kick off before heading off for a 2 hour drive home again. If that journey gets worse due to limited transport capacity, I couldn't blame people for not bothering any more.

Bosws87

No intention to go back until its full and away fans are allowed to travel and take their full allocation.

Completely dead to me till you can have both sets of fans in a stadium, it's what makes football, football!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I renewed my season ticket with the expectation that I would maybe get to see around 25-50% of live home matches this season, but even that seems like a stretch at this stage.

I would be happy to still travel to Old Trafford if it were operating at a reduced capacity, but deep down I know it's simply not going to be the same experience.

Have you guys received your new season ticket card in the post? I haven't, and I'm not sure if that's because the club aren't expecting fans to be in the stadium anytime soon.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I renewed my season ticket with the expectation that I would maybe get to see around 25-50% of live home matches this season, but even that seems like a stretch at this stage.

I would be happy to still travel to Old Trafford if it were operating at a reduced capacity, but deep down I know it's simply not going to be the same experience.

Have you guys received your new season ticket card in the post? I haven't, and I'm not sure if that's because the club aren't expecting fans to be in the stadium anytime soon.
Ive not even been contacted to renew

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Incidentally, I will admit that I did view going to last season's derby match (March 8th) as a "last fling". Keeping an eye on Italy/Spain I knew what was coming, so I assumed it would be my last match for a while.

Looking back, I'm really glad I went. What a match, what energy in the crowd that day. And Scott McT scoring in injury time to send us all home buzzing. It might be a while before any of us are back in a crowd like that, but it was a great way to say goodbye to the place for a while.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When its safe to return to matches again properly (i.e it's not a test event or anything like that) - basically as soon as my ST becomes "valid" for a game then yeah I'll go back to attending.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I'd be comfortable attending one-off socially distanced matches here and there, but don't get the logic of paying for a season ticket now.

As a poster said earlier in the thread, best case scenario is you get to see 25-50%, almost certainly closer to 25%. At that point, your not even saving money and there's zero chance of being able to sit with your normal crowd/have the same match day experience.

If fans can go back into stadiums at some point this season, it should be via one-off ticket purchases, with season-tickets reimbursed.

clarkydaz

Id happily go back alone. Been a key worker all through lockdown and lost a parent at start of it, need a release and some enjoyment

Eli Zee

they can have virtual people between real people to have social distancing still be in effect.

but i think it'd bedumb to buY a lot of screens to put in the stands like they've been doing on tv shows lately and with sports

rotherham_red

I've not renewed as yet, and I do miss it. My weekends are just nowhere near as fun now, even with the wall-to-wall football we can expect to see for the next few months.

On the bright side, I have been saving loads and finally starting to make headway in paying off my credit card debt, which I doubt I ever would have been able to pay off.

I'll still keep my ST though, I won't give it up unless my circumstances really change. I just don't think we'll be back there en masse until the start of next season, and even that might be optimistic.

ZupZup

Not that interested in attending until it's back to normal... it just won't be the same without having a few beers and singing with my mates and having a bit of atmosphere in the ground.

We'll have to see what the club do, but we have about 50k season ticket holders so it is going to be a good while before any sort of normality resumes. I won't renew until they give us a deadline and explain what's happening with attendance, refunds etc.

Maticmaker

There are so many unknowns at the moment its hard to visualize anything remotely like normal.

We have paid for our season tickets already and it looks like those who have will get refunds, match by match, until some decision made on numbers etc.
The problems for us are however manifold; first of all six of us travel together in one car and have one parking ticket for N3 car park. Two of our party are partially disabled and need to ride on the little golf type buggy that takes us from N3 to the ground itself, and back after the match; three of us are in the Sir Bobby Charlton stand, two in the Sir Alex stand , and one in the 'Stretty end'. So just who goes who stays etc. will be a nightmare, never mind the getting in, watching the game, going to the toilet, food kiosks, etc. Then the question of if they decide to use a lottery to decide who goes to what games, who gets the plumb games against City, Scousers, Chelsea , Arsenal, etc... how is that sorted out?

As many others on here have said, until we can go back to normal i don't think I could put up with the hassle, especially if we get displays like we got on Saturday!

DoomSlayer

There won't be any crowds in the next year or two, unless a huge majority of people stop caring about anything.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Incidentally, I will admit that I did view going to last season's derby match (March 8th) as a "last fling". Keeping an eye on Italy/Spain I knew what was coming, so I assumed it would be my last match for a while.

Looking back, I'm really glad I went. What a match, what energy in the crowd that day. And Scott McT scoring in injury time to send us all home buzzing. It might be a while before any of us are back in a crowd like that, but it was a great way to say goodbye to the place for a while.
Ditto, in fact I remember speaking to friends abroad who were surprised the match was going ahead

It was a great one to go out on - although I'm 90% sure I caught covid either at the match or travelling there/back

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
As you say, nothing beats the feeling of matchday, something I'll not take for granted even on those very, very cold nights walking to and from the stadium!

I don't think we'll be seeing fans in stadiums until next season now and probably won't see full stadiums until 2022, unless a vaccine is created before then.

Might come across as a bit of a stiff here but personally, I have no interest in going back until it's 100% safe and we're actually allowed to chant/shout. I mean, getting behind the players by being vocal is the main reason we go, so to take that away it just wouldn't be the same experience at all.
Ye I'm also not sure id want to go back unless the stadium was full

The most annoying thing is that the club finally had approval for safe standing trials in my area so I was especially looking forward to this season

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I support my local team so could just walk up to Old Trafford in 20 minutes. :smirk:

I'd be happy to go back ASAP, as I think any pilot would be very cautious and safe providing you take care of yourself. I don't suspect we will have the opportunity to until spring 2021. The shit is about to really hit the fan.

After Palace though and my fear that this season could be one of our worst post-Fergie given how unprepared we look, it might not be a bad season to miss, if we are forced to stay away from one.

RedNed77

I did the same, voluntarily renewed mine as it was a chance to get it paid for and out of the way. And no I havent had my card yet either.

RonaldoVII

I've verbally renewed but not paid a penny. I'd attend games at reduced allocation / increased restrictions but it wouldn't be the same. Would almost want cheaper tickets for the watered down experience but can't see that happening.

Also from a United perspective, performances like the one against Palace make me thankful I hadn't paid £50 to be there but know it's not always that bad.

Whatsername

We (me and my 20 year old son) bought season tickets for the first time this season, circumstances now allow for us to go to games more often. I only called about going on the waiting list and was offered a couple together straight away so it was a chance for us to get a foot in the door for future seasons.
All I’ll say is that I’m glad that the Palace game is already in the process of being refunded.

Over the Summer I was quite optimistic that supporters would be back in at reduced capacity before too long but now I can’t see Old Trafford being full until there’s a vaccine programme up and running, same with all things that involve being in close contact to others in a large crowd.

Parma Dewol

Bumping this thread to see how people feel now that restrictions are starting to lift.

In terms of United, all existing season ticket holders "are required to complete this short form to let us know if they plan to renew or not, no later than Friday 30th April."

That deadline is fast approaching and the club has set out the following guidelines for those wondering what to do:
  • 1-Year Break: Season Ticket holders impacted by COVID-19 will be able to take a 1-year break from their Season Ticket. Taking this option will not secure existing seats or prices; instead those selecting this option will be guaranteed a return and able to select from available seats next season with loyalty being retained for 2022/23.
  • Instalment Plan: Those who have been unable to obtain finance via our buy-now pay-later partner (details to follow in the summer) will be able to renew with 10x interest free card instalments.
  • Relaxed Regrade Policy: Removal of the limit on the number of upgrades per season that concessionary ticket holders can request for weekend games.
I'm yet to fill in our forms as I'm undecided. As much as I like the idea of things going back to normal, I suspect there's a few more twists in the Covid tale to come. The idea of half-empty stadiums still doesn't hold a great amount of appeal, though to be fair I've not tried it, and I'm sure the club will come up with some imaginative ideas to enhance the post-Covid match-day appeal.

Taking a one-year break seems a really helpful option, but then we ideally don't want to lose our existing seats.

Anybody already decided what they're going to do?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bumping this thread to see how people feel now that restrictions are starting to lift.

In terms of United, all existing season ticket holders "are required to complete this short form to let us know if they plan to renew or not, no later than Friday 30th April."

That deadline is fast approaching and the club has set out the following guidelines for those wondering what to do:
  • 1-Year Break: Season Ticket holders impacted by COVID-19 will be able to take a 1-year break from their Season Ticket. Taking this option will not secure existing seats or prices; instead those selecting this option will be guaranteed a return and able to select from available seats next season with loyalty being retained for 2022/23.
  • Instalment Plan: Those who have been unable to obtain finance via our buy-now pay-later partner (details to follow in the summer) will be able to renew with 10x interest free card instalments.
  • Relaxed Regrade Policy: Removal of the limit on the number of upgrades per season that concessionary ticket holders can request for weekend games.
I'm yet to fill in our forms as I'm undecided. As much as I like the idea of things going back to normal, I suspect there's a few more twists in the Covid tale to come. The idea of half-empty stadiums still doesn't hold a great amount of appeal, though to be fair I've not tried it, and I'm sure the club will come up with some imaginative ideas to enhance the post-Covid match-day appeal.

Taking a one-year break seems a really helpful option, but then we ideally don't want to lose our existing seats.

Im going to renew , I’ve missed going, I’ve still got £150 differed payment, so will be cheaper anyway...so yeah I’m going to renew. The year break is a good idea though.

Gavinb33

I am renewing, I am not overly arsed about worrying I've got the virus I obviously don't want to pass it on so will adhere to the rules and once I have the vaccine I will be more than comfortable going to games.

My only worry is atmosphere with potentially no away following or being at reduced capacity might be shit, but it's got to be better than watching on Sky with no fans at all

Last edited:

Maticmaker

I am more concerned about the season ticket system, a mate told me that its likely to go electronic, issued to ID wallets, whatever they are?
Does that mean I have to buy a new phone as well as pay for the ticket? Also my wife suffers from a mild cognitive impairment and I have to carry her ticket and see her through the turnstiles, will I need two phones or can they both be on mine..how will that work?

These sorts of things need to be made clear by the club before asking us to part with our money.
Of course I want to return as soon as possible, but there seems to be a lot of 'ifs and buts', that also seem to have little to do with Covid, more to do with saving money, or in its worst case passing the costs not only of buying a season ticket, but sourcing and using the ticket, on to the fan!

K Stand Knut

My stance hasn’t changed.

I’ll 100% renew but not really interested in going back unless it’s full capacity, or at least full for United fans.

I think we’ll be back for the first home game next season though

Parma Dewol

I was uncertain about renewing before the ESL stuff. Now I don't know if I'm coming or going. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I tend to go to about 1/3 - 1/4 of the games and dish the pair out between pals for other games.
2019/20 was quite difficult for the 80% of the season that did take place for a number of reasons, so i'd already decided to bin the tickets.

Instead of buying the lot, just do a membership and buy the games I'd definitely do etc.

However, this 1 year holding zone seems a good way to maintain my almost 10 years of season ticket holding, and see how I feel as the year progresses.

Parma Dewol

Almost 12 months on, how do matchgoing fans now feel about the upcoming games? Do you feel safe attending giving the current state of Covid affairs? If you do go to games, will you wear a mask while in the stadium?

Personally, having renewed our season tickets a few months back I'm still finding it really difficult to decide whether or not to go to games. I've had both my jabs, but my wife is now expecting and I'm concerned about going to the games and bringing Covid back home with me. Even the supporters coach on which we travel now seems terrifying; 40 or more fans in a tight space, and with many being worse for wear after the game, there's little guarantee any will be wearing masks or taking precautions.

Should be buzzing with the opening fixture against Leeds now just days away, but in truth I'm terrified and may end up not going. :(

mark_a

Almost 12 months on, how do matchgoing fans now feel about the upcoming games? Do you feel safe attending giving the current state of Covid affairs? If you do go to games, will you wear a mask while in the stadium?

Personally, having renewed our season tickets a few months back I'm still finding it really difficult to decide whether or not to go to games. I've had both my jabs, but my wife is now expecting and I'm concerned about going to the games and bringing Covid back home with me. Even the supporters coach on which we travel now seems terrifying; 40 or more fans in a tight space, and with many being worse for wear after the game, there's little guarantee any will be wearing masks or taking precautions.

Should be buzzing with the opening fixture against Leeds now just days away, but in truth I'm terrified and may end up not going. :(
I hadn't given it too much thought, til my pal I got to games with asked if the club had communicated anything or was planning anything extra for Covid safety. I'll add that I'm in my late 40s and double-jabbed and I have been following the rules throughout. Though I did go to the Fulham game and have been out and about the odd time recently.

I'm a little bit wary of it, specifically large crowds in the concourse at the ground. I don't want to catch it, am wary of picking it up and carrying it without catching it and also wary of getting the ping (or track and trace) which would mean isolation & inconvenience. To the extent that there's a game a few days before we go on holiday in September & I'm considering giving it a miss as getting track and traced would mean cancelling the holiday.

Just basing this on risk and common sense really - I'd say actually catching it is less likely than than getting track and traced tbh. In terms of risk, I do drive though, so I'll avoid the jammed onto buses or trams bit of matchday, which has probably got to be a bigger risk than being in a seat!

Kag

I hadn't given it too much thought, til my pal I got to games with asked if the club had communicated anything or was planning anything extra for Covid safety. I'll add that I'm in my late 40s and double-jabbed and I have been following the rules throughout. Though I did go to the Fulham game and have been out and about the odd time recently.

I'm a little bit wary of it, specifically large crowds in the concourse at the ground. I don't want to catch it, am wary of picking it up and carrying it without catching it and also wary of getting the ping (or track and trace) which would mean isolation & inconvenience. To the extent that there's a game a few days before we go on holiday in September & I'm considering giving it a miss as getting track and traced would mean cancelling the holiday.

Just basing this on risk and common sense really - I'd say actually catching it is less likely than than getting track and traced tbh. In terms of risk, I do drive though, so I'll avoid the jammed onto buses or trams bit of matchday, which has probably got to be a bigger risk than being in a seat!
As of 16th August, fully vaccinated people will not need to isolate if they have been in contact with with a positive case. You would be fine to travel provided you were not positive yourself.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I'm buzzing for getting back to Old Trafford, especially big match with Leeds scum! Don't expect many will wear a mask in the stadium

But I can understand it's different with baby on the way, if you don't feel comfortable then probably best to wait

AndyMUFC

Very much looking forward to it. Only had one jab so far due to age and will to have my second in just over a week. I'm still aware that we need to be vigilant about COVID but refuse to let it rule my life anymore. It'll be so nice to get back to a full OT again.

JB7

Can't wait to be back. Did the Fulham game (masks everywhere unless eating/drinking) back end of last season which was very weird, Derby (masks everywhere except in your seats) in pre season was equally weird followed by QPR (no masks anywhere to be seen) which although only 6 days after Derby, felt completely back to normal with a sold out away end.

Buzzing for the next few weeks to be honest with Leeds next weekend and was successful for Southampton and Wolves so lets hope we can start the season on fire.

pascell

I can't wait and neither can my dad and brother. We're all double jabbed and missed going on the games, can't wait for the atmosphere on the CL games too! I hope the rail seating gets the crowd buzzing again