Being better and educating ourselves

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wanted a thread where people could share books, videos, articles, perhaps TED talks and the like with a mind to better educating ourselves on race and inequality.

While there is a spectrum here of viewpoints, I think we could all benefit from it if we want to, which we should.

Let’s leave the views to another thread and use this to better understand.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
For those who are interested in history, I recommend r/askhistorians. I learned a lot there about Japan's reasoning for attacking Pearl Harbor, and how the Congo was "used" by King Leopold, as well as how the United Fruit Company got themselves involved in Honduras.

Understanding history is important.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For those who are interested in history, I recommend r/askhistorians. I learned a lot there about Japan's reasoning for attacking Pearl Harbor, and how the Congo was "used" by King Leopold, as well as how the United Fruit Company got themselves involved in Honduras.

Understanding history is important.
You gave me crutch with that one, I first learned about it through a theatre play from Aimé Césaire when I was 14, a season in Congo. His work has almost exclusively been on that topic, he also wrote several essays on colonialism which are very interesting, Discours on Colonialism being one of them, he basically explains how colonialism was an entreprise built for the exclusive benefits of Europe.

I also find Dr Shashi Tharoor very interesting and easy to listen to on the subject of India.