Being good in the air: Nature or nuture?

GueRed

Evra was the first player I thought of when I read the title, I think mentality plays a big part. Being fearless when attacking the ball is probably the most important thing

Ronaldo was always great in the air, he scored a bunch of headers even as a teenager. See Euro 2004 for example. He improved as he got physically stronger but he was already good at it.
Yes. I agree.

He always had the natural ability as a youngster he just improved as he developed as a player.

Someone above mentioned he was shit then got good is speaking out of his bum.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's all nurture. No one is born with the ability to read the flight of a ball, time their jump and direct it with their head. This is a skill that is improved with practice.
That and mental as @Raees alluded to
I can’t remember who, might have been Denis law practiced by using a sock tied to a bit of string hung up high. It’s definitely a learnable skill if you want to.
Unfortunately it seems to be a dying skill, especially amongst defenders which I find mind boggling. Isn’t there enough hours in the day to train this skill too?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
People keep mentioning Ronaldo but he always had good height and a decent leap on him. Difference came when he stopped worrying about messing up his hair. :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Interesting that the two teams with the best defensive records so far this League season (Man City and Chelsea) don't have any players in the top 20 for the first two.

I guess that's a result of possession being higher maybe? Someone like Zouma is great in the air.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Interesting that the two teams with the best defensive records so far this League season (Man City and Chelsea) don't have any players in the top 20 for the first two.

I guess that's a result of possession being higher maybe? Someone like Zouma is great in the air.
Interestingly he has scored 4 times highlighting your point as to his prowess in the air

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's all nurture. No one is born with the ability to read the flight of a ball, time their jump and direct it with their head. This is a skill that is improved with practice.
I guess where the nature element comes in is the personality characteristics and also some people just learn better or just bring their own knack to the table.

For example my 2 year old daughter, she’s got very good close control dribbling and she kind of had it as soon as I tried to teach her to kick a ball. So whilst she will of course need nurturing to get to a elite level etc - not every kid or player is going to have the same starting point or growth curve even if they started the same time and that is where the nature element undoubtedly plays a part.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Zlatan Ibrahimovic was utterly dog sh*te in the air until the age of 25-30. He obviously has tremendous physical attributes so in his case it was all down to nurture.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I guess where the nature element comes in is the personality characteristics and also some people just learn better or just bring their own knack to the table.

For example my 2 year old daughter, she’s got very good close control dribbling and she kind of had it as soon as I tried to teach her to kick a ball. So whilst she will of course need nurturing to get to a elite level etc - not every kid or player is going to have the same starting point or growth curve even if they started the same time and that is where the nature element undoubtedly plays a part.
On nurture and nature in sport the Sports Gene by David Epstein is very interesting

thepolice123

Well summarised.

Aye, good as he was with his head, I don't think De Boer had a great leap compared to some. I think both of the De Boer brothers were impressive distance runners in their youth, which suggests they were more slow-twitch and not blessed with the explosive fast-twitch fibres that mark the great sprinters and jumpers.
Got reminded of this when reading your post.

What a run. :drool: