Benjamin Pavard

croadyman

He's not poor or anything but it's more about how important Varane is in that aspect and what a drop off it is.

According to fbref last season

Varane won 77% of his aerial duels which puts him in the 99th percentile in Europe.

Varane lost 0.66 aerial duels per game which puts him in the 97th percentile in Europe.

Basically he was nearly the best defender in Europe at aerial duels.

Pavard won 64.1% of his aerial duels last season which put him in the 67th percentile and lost 1.28 per game which puts him in the 54th percentile.

It's a huge drop off. When you consider Paverd also would have spent more time competing against wingers who typically are not as threatening in the air as strikers.

Something to think about.
What are the stats on aerial duels for Todibo & Tapsoba just out of interest

OverratedOpinion

What are the stats on aerial duels for Todibo & Tapsoba just out of interest

Tapsoba
57.2% won
1.38 lost per game.

Todibo
59.1% won
0.87 lost per game.

None of them are in the higher percentiles apart from Todibo whos stats for losing (or not losing) duels is excellent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think the important part to note is that they do not want him to leave. They just have no choice as he has only a year left on his deal and Bayern will want some return.
CC: Levy

So can someone explain this one to me? AWB or Dalot going? Or is 3 RB fine if one can play CB? Is he capable of playing that Fullback/DM role?

Irwin99

They steal Kim Min-Jae and we buy Pavard? Interesting turn of events.

I thought last season that Varane was manged very well and that we'd be very careful about his play time this season again. However i did think Lindelof wasn't too bad as a deputy and seemed to play well with Martinez so there'd be no need for another defender just yet.

croadyman

Look in an ideal world we could get Pavard & Todibo right now but that's not happening

zaafi

They steal Kim Min-Jae and we buy Pavard? Interesting turn of events.

I thought last season that Varane was manged very well and that we'd be very careful about his play time this season again. However i did think Lindelof wasn't too bad as a deputy and seemed to play well with Martinez so there'd be no need for another defender just yet.
3 CBs for a whole season that could consist of around 60 games? I think not.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The only thing I'm worried about is if he is going to be the primary cover for Varane then could we be targeted aerially?

I know it's deja vu from last summer and everyone learned their lesson about Martinez' height but I think Varane being so dominant in the air was a huge part of it working out.

Pavard doesn't seem to be a monster in the air. Hopefully Onana helps with this at set pieces at least.
You’d have to define by whom for an extensive consideration, I think because you’d think we’d take a dip without Varane, but would also ask how many teams in the league are proficient enough in the league to thoroughly exploit it? I’ve not seen much of Pavard at CB (more never had reason to pay any attention to him) so couldn’t discuss his idiosyncracies on set-pieces or when faced with opponents who are outright better than him in the air I.e. does he have the positioning to thoroughly disrupt them or the awareness to place himself as an obstacle even if he’s not leaping etc.

I think that kind of stuff might be a journey of discovery for him as much as us as doing that stuff in the PL is quite a bit removed from other leagues where the aggression and power is not so high. Casemiro and Hojlund have roles to play in this aspect as well as Onana, who you’ve mentioned. In short, we’re going to be drilling new stuff in training, especially in lieu of Maguire and possibly McTominay who, even if not playing, would be key components in our training drills for and against at the very least.

croadyman

I have reservations about this only because I thought we wanted Varane understudy,this move would suggest it's more we just want someone who can provide flexibility. I think that's the main reason people are puzzled about this.

the_cliff

Makes me wonder why we didn’t move for Timber as he can cover RCB and RB and we seemed keen last summer?
Because we needed a sale in defence to make way for a new signing, now Timber is at Arsenal so that's a no go.

I'm sure if Timber was still at Ajax we'll be in for him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Does he still play RB sometimes? That's what we really need imo. So a player that can be RB and backup CB is ideal.

krazyrobus

I recall some posters saying the same about Varane and Casemiro from Real Madrid. They've been shit, haven't they?
Our history with Madrid has been fine in terms of transfers has been fine with the players more or less being fine. However, our history with Bayern has resulted in a crocks or hasbeens.

Idxomer

It doesn't really make sense either if we are signing him to play as a right back when the whole reason he wants to leave Bayern is because he doesn't want to play as a right back. If he's cheap cover for Varane it's not so bad, but I imagine he's on fairly high wages and will want the same here. I'd rather get an understudy for Varane who will be ready to take over in a couple of years.
Why would we sign him as a right-back when we have two players in that position already? He will be coming as a rotation option for Varane.

sokol11

iI begs the question why WHU didn't move for Pavard instead of Maguire?
I will bite and pretend this is a serious question. :)

Benjamin Pavard list of achivements:

Bayern Munich
France
Individual
I also asked ChatGPT why does he think Pavard wouldn't move to West Ham:
I can offer some general reasons why a player like Benjamin Pavard might choose not to move to a particular club like West Ham United, based on common considerations in football transfers. Among others:
  1. Ambitions and Aspirations: Players often consider the ambitions of both the club and themselves. If Pavard has aspirations to play for a club competing in European competitions (such as the UEFA Champions League or Europa League), he might be more inclined to consider clubs that regularly participate in these tournaments.
  2. Level of Competition: Players may prefer to join clubs that consistently challenge for titles and compete at a high level. If West Ham United's current status or recent performance doesn't align with Pavard's competitive ambitions, he might explore other options.
  3. Contractual Considerations: Players' contracts with their current clubs, including contract duration and financial terms, can impact transfer decisions. If Pavard is under a long-term contract or has specific financial demands, it could influence his decision.
So even AI can list a few reasons why he wouldn't join West Ham. Can you please provide a few valid arguments why a player of Pavard's stature would even entertain West Ham as a serious option?

ForeverRed1

I’d love to see him at united. Our back line would have so much quality and versatility with shaw and pavard both being able to play multiple positions.

croadyman

I’d love to see him at united. Our back line would have so much quality and versatility with shaw and pavard both being able to play multiple positions.
So would I but others are understandably concerned he seemingly wants to leave Bayern as looking to play CB. I just hope he is willing to flexible on that one.

bosskeano

he's in the final year of his contract and Munich are still wanting 30m for him....bring him in that gives us 3 lads for RB and 4 CB's. Lindelof is the primary backup for Varane. Shaw i would guess is the back up for Martinez b/c Erik clearly has stated he prefers having left footed CB's. Pavard is right footed so again this move does create a bit of unbalance and overkill in the RB/CB spots

estel_manutd

I would sell AWB while his stock his high - buy Pavard and another young CB.

dinostar77

he's in the final year of his contract and Munich are still wanting 30m for him....bring him in that gives us 3 lads for RB and 4 CB's. Lindelof is the primary backup for Varane. Shaw i would guess is the back up for Martinez b/c Erik clearly has stated he prefers having left footed CB's. Pavard is right footed so again this move does create a bit of unbalance and overkill in the RB/CB spots
No, it gives us 5 CBs, 2 RBs and 2 LBs. With some of those player able to fill in for other positions. Pretty much whats required for a club of Utds ambition.

Primary position/2nd position

Dalot rb/lb
Wan Bisska rb/cb
Evans cb
Martinez cb/lb
Lindelof cb
Pavard cb/rb
Varane cb
Shaw lb/cb
Malacia lb

zaafi

Our history with Madrid has been fine in terms of transfers has been fine with the players more or less being fine. However, our history with Bayern has resulted in a crocks or hasbeens.
The difference is that Hargreaves was already injury prone and Schweinsteiger was a 30 year old who had been an absolute workhorse and main stay in Bayern's midfield since he was 17, so his legs were gone. Bayern wanted him gone.

Pavard is in his prime and Bayern wants to keep him, but he does not wish to stay.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, it gives us 5 CBs, 2 RBs and 2 LBs. With some of those player able to fill in for other positions. Pretty much whats required for a club of Utds ambition.

Primary position/2nd position

Dalot rb/lb
Wan Bisska rb/cb
Evans cb
Martinez cb/lb
Lindelof cb
Pavard cb/rb
Varane cb
Shaw lb/cb
Malacia lb
AWB has never played CB and never will. It would highlight his weaknesses while somewhat negating his strengths.

We would play Dalot at CB before AWB.

saivet

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want him starting as our right back if we signed him. He's better than AWB and Dalot defensively but I've often found him a bit clunky when playing RB and not an ideal RB for a dynamic team.

Don't really care whether we go for him or the other two options but I think the profile at CB is the most important as cover/competition for Varane.

Pav1878

Yeah timing was a bit off for that one.
Also think we should have gone in for Evan Ndicka before he went to Roma.

hopefully one of the CBS we are linked with can come in and make an impact

Because we needed a sale in defence to make way for a new signing, now Timber is at Arsenal so that's a no go.

I'm sure if Timber was still at Ajax we'll be in for him.

Xaviboy

Scored a cracker of a goal at the Aviva against Ireland back in March.

Good going forward and comfortable in possession.

Was it world cup 2018 he played in few years back and won it and he was great at it. Alot of people raved about him for his performances if I remember.

Abraxas

I think he's a no brainer for us.

We have weaknesses at right back and we have a hole at CB. To be able to cover both to a high quality level in one swoop is rare. I know he seems to prefer CB, but at the end of the day he'll do what is required. He's a really good footballer, very composed and technically good. I do think he's probably better as a CB as maybe he's not the most dynamic right back around but still, it's good cover when we have two performers who are not consistent.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can he play right back if Varane and Martinez are both fit? Surely a better option than Dalot

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’d prefer Todibo for the potential implications to long term squad building, but if it’s not him, then Pavard is a good player to sign. Think he’d start at RB almost immediately. He’d offer us better defensive solidity than either of our current options, and he’s much better on the ball than either Dalot or Wan-Bissaka.

I’d imagine that if he were to sign, he’d operate primarily as a RB, and an occasional RCB. But more likely Lindelof acts as RCB cover, Shaw as LCB cover - being left footed - and Dalot acts as additional LB cover, especially if the LB plays as an inverted fullback. It’s almost an advantage him being right footed.

Pavard is a hugely experienced, international class defender with excellent technical ability. Would be a massive upgrade on Maguire, and frankly I think we’d find him being a significant upgrade on either of our existing RBs. I think we’d also see in possession, him shifting over to play as part of a three with Varane and Martinez, with both him and Martinez having the license and ability to step into defensive midfield, and thus allowing Shaw to play much higher up the field creating overloads.

Just for the tactical flexibility and immediate quality this would give us, I really want this signing to happen. Immediate understanding with Varane too. Plus he’s only 27 and will be available for around what we sold Maguire for. Essentially a Maguire for Pavard swap is the stuff dreams are made of.

I think people also aren’t realising what a goal threat he poses as well. He’s very technical and for a RB has both an excellent finish and shot on him. His delivery from out wide is also miles ahead of either AWB or Dalot. Miles.

Last edited: