Benjamin Pavard

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If he comes here it won't be to play RB. Sure, he might play there from time to time, but he wants to be a CB and that's where he'll expect to play.
Unless you believe we're about to switch to a permanent 3 at the back, you surely see he's not leaving a starting berth at Bayern to sit on our bench wishing on a prayer for a chance at CB?

Getting PT whilst "competing" for a CB is about the best he can hope for; I doubt even he believes he can usurp Varane outright.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
After the calamitous transfer activity of recent years, I can't get my head around the prospect of selling Maguire and bringing in Pavard.

It's too good to be true. What the heck is happening this window, we're making all the right moves and not doing the silly things we've become renowned for.

Not sure about this Erik Ten Hag fellow. It he keeps on like this people will start taking United seriously again.
Praise EtH when it goes right and criticise Murtough/Arnold and co when it goes wrong alert!

Zed is not dead

ETH played with inverted fullbacks at Ajax, with the prime example in Blind. I can see us operating the same way with Pavard replicating that role whilst Antony pushes wide more often, whilst Shaw can replicate Mazraoui and be the more attacking one creating width with a better delivery than Pavard.

Key with Pavard is that he can play all across the defensive line and even DM on occasion, so that's a big plus.
Pavard really can’t play inside, that’s why to me he’ll play the 3rd CB staying back to allow more freedom for our midfielders.

Also I never saw Pavard play DM, and not sure he has the qualities to do it

ErikElevenHag

Not on regular basis but we did have issues with Casemiro being banned in several games and didn't have anyone to put in that could've done a makeshift job. Pavard is more accustomed than say McT or Fred shielding the back four..
We're looking to sign amrabat though who will both partner and replace casemiro at times this season if we get the deal done.

Appletonred

Over 100 appearances for Bayern, 49 caps for France, he is clearly a quality player and would be a very astute signing for what appears to be an absolute bargain price, over to you Mr. Murtough.

Crimson King

Unless you believe we're about to switch to a permanent 3 at the back, you surely see he's not leaving a starting berth at Bayern to sit on our bench wishing on a prayer for a chance at CB?

Getting PT whilst "competing" for a CB is about the best he can hope for; I doubt even he believes he can usurp Varane outright.
I think he'll get plenty of playing time at CB, regardless. Certain matches he might play at RB for tactical reasons. If he's not happy with the current situation and doesn't think he can usurp Varane by the end of the season, then the move probably isn't best for all parties.

We have two RBs. Regardless of how people rate them, we're not signing someone to start ahead of them both.

That's why I think Todibo is a more likely signing. Will all depend on asking price though. Tapsoba and Guehi are most likely going to cost too much.

RedorDead21

It seems he’s not signing a new deal because he wants to play CB? Is he going to displace Varane? I guess it’s much stiffer competition either way which can only be a good thing as long as he’s happy to scrap it out here! It’s cheap for a player at this age with a CV like this too. It’s a good signing. I find also for it to be a sign at how strong Bayern currently are at CB when he either can’t get in enough to be happy to sign a new deal or else the money Bayern was offering is low compared to what he can get here and his head has been turned. Bayern could absolutely pay as much as us or not make the Kim signing if they thought keeping the player was a priority.

Casemiro and Varane I thought just got offered a load more money and for longer here than Madrid were prepared to match. They left with Madrid and their fans best wishes for a new challenge and their best contracts ever after winning everything repeatedly and arguably on the way down physically. They still challenge without them. It seems like a special circumstance anyway as they are both still great players but with how long left?

Anyway this is a good experienced player at a solid age and I’m happy for us to get him if the manager and recruitment team want him. It’s just at the same time not a super imaginative or exciting transfer. He’s not going to come here and become the best central defender or RB in the world like a younger player might. he’ll be on big wages but at that price he’s not risky and versatile pickup that raises the quality of competition and level of big game experience in the squad.
Agreed Our right back options are poor for a team wanting to win the league. He’s a solid upgrade. AWB or Dalot can be sold if we get him in perhaps.

Conor

Has never really seemed that defensively astute whenever I've seen him. Is he better than Todibo, who I've never seen, but reads like a bit of a beast on paper?

Crimson King

Agreed Our right back options are poor for a team wanting to win the league. He’s a solid upgrade. AWB or Dalot can be sold if we get him in perhaps.
Seems very unlikely given one has just signed a new contract and the other is in negotiations to extend. Doubt we'd get anywhere close to what we'd want for them either.

red.knight

Out of Benjamin Pavard, Todibo and Tapsoba, I would personally buy Todibo. In a Ten Hag system where United play with a high line, he's exactly what we need. Good recovery pace, hard in the tackle, and can play a pass. I honestly think he's the heir replacement to Varane alongside Martinez for the next few years. He sorta reminds me of Rudiger with how he goes in for tackles and drives up the field with the ball so if we're getting a defender anywhere near him, I'll take him everyday of the week. Kim Min-Jae would've been my first choice obviously but since he's gone, I really think Todibo is the next best thing available. Todibo can also play at RB. If we want to turn this transfer season up a notch, I would sell AWB or Dalot and get Benjamin Pavard as a replacement.

Nickosaur

Damn. Kim would have been an amazing signing but Pavard is a brilliant squad option. Could slot in straight away at RB and steps in when Varane is inevitably injured.

Woodzy

This thread escalated.

Im just glad that we clearly mean business with transfers this year, we’ve had many dull years.

Paul778

a notch?
Out of Benjamin Pavard, Todibo and Tapsoba, I would personally buy Todibo. In a Ten Hag system where United play with a high line, he's exactly what we need. Good recovery pace, hard in the tackle, and can play a pass. I honestly think he's the heir replacement to Varane alongside Martinez for the next few years. He sorta reminds me of Rudiger with how he goes in for tackles and drives up the field with the ball so if we're getting a defender anywhere near him, I'll take him everyday of the week. Kim Min-Jae would've been my first choice obviously but since he's gone, I really think Todibo is the next best thing available. Todibo can also play at RB. If we want to turn this transfer season up a notch, I would sell AWB or Dalot and get Benjamin Pavard as a replacement.
a notch? We are looking at buying 6 players who each are better than what we have and raise not only our first 11 but our playing squad.

As well as getting rid of at least 3-4 albatrosses.

Unheard of really at United.

RedorDead21

Seems very unlikely given one has just signed a new contract and the other is in negotiations to extend. Doubt we'd get anywhere close to what we'd want for them either.
Things change quickly and Pavard starting and both of those options on the bench seems abit overkill but who knows. I guess they’ve been used sparingly at left back on occasion if my memory is correct.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think he'll get plenty of playing time at CB, regardless. Certain matches he might play at RB for tactical reasons. If he's not happy with the current situation and doesn't think he can usurp Varane by the end of the season, then the move probably isn't best for all parties.

We have two RBs. Regardless of how people rate them, we're not signing someone to start ahead of them both.

That's why I think Todibo is a more likely signing. Will all depend on asking price though. Tapsoba and Guehi are most likely going to cost too much.
Yeah but this notion “he’s coming to play CB” you and others are mentioning; you see that unless it’s 3 at the back, it doesn’t matter what he thinks because he isn’t better than Varane and he’d prefer to play RB over getting sporadic playing time at Varane and the manager’s behest?

And Dalot is just as much an understudy at LB as he is at RB, so we can say: one covering RB in AWB and an eclectic FB in Dalot who serves as immediate cover on the left and a rotation cover on the right, should Pavard arrive.

Ultimately, Pavard will eventually become the cover, even at RB, imo. I don’t think he’ll ever be a true starting CB here unless we go 3 at the back - Varane’s successor will still be sought, just not this window and in the meantime, Pavard gets his chance to cement his own starting berth in the face of much stiffer competition.

Brightonian

First thought about Pavard is that he's the kind of quality that you have on the bench if you're a big side competing for big trophies.

red.knight

a notch?

a notch? We are looking at buying 6 players who each are better than what we have and raise not only our first 11 but our playing squad.

As well as getting rid of at least 3-4 albatrosses.

Unheard of really at United.
If the outgoings leave and we get Amrabat and a CB, I'll rate this transfer window 9 out of 10. It could be a 10 if we get another striker.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Surprised how many are skeptical about him, at 30m he's an absolute steal. Only issue would be if he "demands" to play exclusively CB because his versatility is what makes him actually valuable.

Crimson King

Surprised how many are skeptical about him, at 30m he's an absolute steal. Only issue would be if he "demands" to play exclusively CB because his versatility is what makes him actually valuable.
I don't think anyone doubts his quality, especially at the price, but it's more down to whether we should go short term or long term again.

I also don't think it's a good idea to sign him to play RB, even if he's happy with that, which I doubt he would be. I do acknowledge that he'd be an upgrade in that department though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If the outgoings leave and we get Amrabat and a CB, I'll rate this transfer window 9 out of 10. It could be a 10 if we get another striker.
And then we go full Chelsea and fight against relegation all season long. :lol:

RedorDead21

First thought about Pavard is that he's the kind of quality that you have on the bench if you're a big side competing for big trophies.
Agreed only have to look at our neighbours to prove your point. This could be a great window but again our bench… if we need a goal…like last season… will look abit pants.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think anyone doubts his quality, especially at the price, but it's more down to whether we should go short term or long term again.

I also don't think it's a good idea to sign him to play RB, even if he's happy with that, which I doubt he would be. I do acknowledge that he'd be an upgrade in that department though.
A 27 years old player isn't a short term option. And signing a 23 years old player because he is 23 years old isn't a long term plan either, most players regardless of age don't remain at their current club more than 3 to 5 years even when they are a success and outside of world class players few remain starters beyond 5 years.

Woodzy

I wouldn’t call him short term at his age though. At worst he adds important squad depth for 4/5 years and at best he competes with Varane to take his spot in a year or two.

He would put us in a decent position to spend the next few years looking for the next potential world class CB, without any urgency, similar to Gvardiol and City.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading

Imagine labelling a 27 year old as a "short term option".

Not every player needs to be some 20 year old wonderkid.

Real Name

27 is the new 30 here it seems and its called short term opion. :lol:

Todibo is just 4 years younger ffs.

Crimson King

A 27 years old player isn't a short term option. And signing a 23 years old player because he is 23 years old isn't a long term plan either, most players regardless of age don't remain at their current club more than 3 to 5 years even when they are a success and outside of world class players few remain starters beyond 5 years.
I wouldn’t call him short term at his age though. At worst he adds important squad depth for 4/5 years and at best he competes with Varane to take his spot in a year or two.

He would put us in a decent position to spend the next few years looking for the next potential world class CB, without any urgency, similar to Gvardiol and City.
Short term probably isn't the right phrase I was looking for. I was more thinking that he'd be expected to make an instant impact and probably play regularly, ahead of someone younger and perhaps more potential.

Both options have their merits.

Not sure there's any point in waiting for the next Gvardiol. City will just sign him as part of their CB merry go round.

JPRouve

Scout
Short term probably isn't the right term. I was more thinking that he'd be expected to make an instant impact and probably play fairly regularly, ahead of someone younger and perhaps more potential.

Both options have their merits.

Not sure there's any point in waiting for the next Gvardiol. City will just sign him as part of their CB merry go round.
But that makes little sense for two reasons, first you want players that make instant impact regardless of age because it means that you actually get something out of the player and there isn't a single young player that is guaranteed to reach the level that Pavard reached for the better part of the last 6 or 7 years.

The most likely outcome for players with potential is to not reach their potential, so unless one is a lot cheaper than the other or one has a particular advantage, it makes little sense to choose the player that doesn't give you an instant impact because you don't actually know if the other will give you any impact.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
But that makes little sense for two reasons, first you want players that make instant impact regardless of age because it means that you actually get something out of the player and there isn't a single young player that is guaranteed to reach the level that Pavard reached for the better part of the last 6 or 7 years.

The most likely outcome for players with potential is to not reach their potential, so unless one is a lot cheaper than the other or one has a particular advantage, it makes little sense to choose the player that doesn't give you an instant impact because you don't actually know if the other will give you any impact.
Talking a lot of sense

Crimson King

No I agree, wasn't arguing against that. Pavard is the obvious choice for the price, unless it upsets squad balance somehow.

I think there will be plenty of opportunity to play CB given Varane's fitness concerns and needing to managed. I don't think we'll see him at RB that much, like some do.

I'd honestly be happy with either Pavard or Todibo, for different reasons. I think they'll both add quality at CB.