Benjamin Pavard

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He improves our starting 11 as he’s a better RB than what we have. You’d think AWB would want to leave though - be interesting to see what happens. Dalot can cover Shaw so might get games there but I struggle to see where AWB gets game time when Varane starts.
Malacia can cover Shaw. AWB can cover Pavard or play when Pavard is needed at CB. AWB is also useful against the trickier wingers which we’ll face in the CL so I’d get rid of Dalot, but since he’s signed a new contract last season that’s unlikely to happen.

JuriM

If we really want him, time to be fast now. As Real Madrid might need to buy/loan someone ASAP also :D

Blood Mage

He has no pace and isn't an impressive physical presence. We already have Lindelof for that. Seriously underwhelming if we end up with this guy and Onana instead of Tobido and Amrabat.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He would immediately become our first choice RB unless he fallen off a cliff which im not aware off, don't get why cafe is so hesitant about this, a starting rb and a decent back up cb.
If he's willing to play RB. But the suggestion is that he isn't, he wants to play as a CB.

Hard to judge this signing without knowing how that stands, as to my mind the main benefit of targeting Pavard specifically would be that he also covers RB.

Strelok

Actually plenty of us said at the time he was better and Besiktas was getting the better player
He might be the better goal scorer but imo WW fit what ETH wants better. Tall, physically strong, can and willing to run and press a lot, can score a bit (like he did in the WC). Tbh the only thing I'm not happy with WW was he supposed to be tall and good in the air but turned out he's shit in the air.

Anyway imo as bad as he was WW was actually a fine signing considering the circumstances. Nobody expected him to be a good striker anyway. A loan signing for 6 months just to provide the number, the energy and maybe a couple goals here and there. If my memory serves me right before we signed him I said 5 goals and I could be very happy.

Revan

Assumptionman
He might be the better goal scorer but imo WW fit what ETH wants better. Tall, physically strong, can and willing to run and press a lot, can score a bit (like he did in the WC). Tbh the only thing I'm not happy with WW was he supposed to be tall and good in the air but turned out he's shit in the air.

Anyway imo as bad as he was WW was actually a fine signing considering the circumstances. Nobody expected him to be a good striker anyway. A loan signing for 6 months just to provide the number, the energy and maybe a couple goals here and there. If my memory serves me right before we signed him I said 5 goals and I could be very happy.
It absolutely wasn't. It was a dreadful signing, probably the worst United regular I have ever seen in 20+ years supporting United.

Infestissumam

It absolutely wasn't. It was a dreadful signing, probably the worst United regular I have ever seen in 20+ years supporting United.
I remember thinking "if he gets 3 goals for us, I'll take it". He didn't even manage that.

couldn't fault the workrate, but the quality simply wasn't there.

Trex

I don't know how some people don't fancy a world cup, treble winning player who's only 27 joining our ranks.

croadyman

Yep putting this on ignore too as yet another potential signing underwhelming the CAF. Not saying it was true but IF we are still looking for CB like Diomande/Todibo to replace Varane next summer then would people accept it

Trex

That’s really a very silly and surface level way of looking at the transfer, isn’t it?
Nope most people campaigning for Todibo probably never watched the guy. Pavard is proven quality, starting for one of the biggest club and arguably the strongest national team in football yet people will rather the guy whose career could go either way.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
can someone called benjamin really be hard enough to play as a top level CB, im not so sure

Strelok

I don't disagree with the bold part. But imo if a signing serves its main purpose I'd consider it fine enough.

croadyman

My main concerns with him is the recovery pace/aerial dominance which you obviously get with someone taller and quicker. He would definitely offer something different to this team but still believe he isn't gonna be long term Varane successor. Mainly because he has very different attributes to Rapha in that role.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not sure he would even be an improvement at RB attacking wise. Antony needs the right back to overlap also, which Pavard isn’t really good at. Maybe we could go the City route where their RB sits back and De Bruyne overlaps when Mahrez cuts in, that being Bruno and Antony in our case

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't disagree with the bold part. But imo if a signing serves its main purpose I'd consider it fine enough.
It did not serve its main purpose though. It was a goddamn awful player that made us worse any time we put him in the pitch.

JuriM

I think it really depends on what role-specific ETH expects the backup CB to play, Todibo might not be that welcome to come as a clear Varane understudy atm. Don't we really have anyone close to take from the academy?

Bondi77

I think it really depends on what role-specific ETH expects the backup CB to play, Todibo might not be that welcome to come as a clear Varane understudy atm. Don't we really have anyone close to take from the academy?
All depends if Big Willy measures up.

croadyman

Yeah exactly and no ones know what specific role he is looking for the backup CB to play

Strelok

It did not serve its main purpose though. It was a goddamn awful player that made us worse any time we put him in the pitch.
ETH obviously didn't think the same. He's a very limited player but he did most of his jobs. Except winning headers and scoring of course.

Tbh I was of the opinion that McT would do better there back then. But tbf even if so it would not be a big difference imo. The whole point here is we didn't have any option who would be clearly better than him to put there. And we had a shitload of matches to play. He's always available, could do most of what ETH asked him to. So it's fine enough imo.

If you expect to find a striker good enough to be an United regular on loan in Jan in the current striker market then good luck.

Idxomer

Never really caught my attention in a positive or a negative way apart from that goal, bit of a bland footballer overall.

croadyman

Never really caught my attention in a positive or a negative way apart from that goal, bit of a bland footballer overall.
I spose 3/5 signings wanted by CAF if we get Amrabat over the line isn’t a bad %

Reyoji-Utd

Its sometimes the mind that keep triking us fans to look at this transfer as some sort of bad transfer becasue he is really just a very solid, good player but we want some excited/young/unknonw potential that might come good or might not come good. I get that, but someitmes we just need to get this experience/winning player to come help solidify our position and upgrade us squad wise. Todibo can still come later on next window and then we will have both of them. That would be much better than what we have for now.

kaku06

I have.. played.. well no, but I just read "can someone named Benjamin be hard enough" and immediately tunnel visioned. I'll show you hard :smirk:
The way you post and talk you are anything but hard.

thomas porter

I dont understand the opposition to this potential signing at all. The way I see it he'd be an upgrade at right back, and cover for us at center back.

In preseason both Dalot and AWB have been severely underwhelming with both giving the ball away leading to silly goals conceded.

Revan

Assumptionman
ETH obviously didn't think the same. He's a very limited player but he did most of his jobs. Except winning headers and scoring of course.

Tbh I was of the opinion that McT would do better there back then. But tbf even if so it would not be a big difference imo. The whole point here is we didn't have any option who would be clearly better than him to put there. And we had a shitload of matches to play. He's always available, could do most of what ETH asked him to. So it's fine enough imo.

If you expect to find a striker good enough to be an United regular on loan in Jan in the current striker market then good luck.
Well, if you are of the opinion that the sun rises out of the manager’s arse, then I guess no point debating. Everything that the manager did was the right decision, Weghorst was a great signing.

hobbers

The sense of this obviously just depends on the price.

Would be rank idiocy paying the same or similar for a 27 year old in the last year of his contract than we’ve been quoted for a 23 year old with higher ceiling

If Todibo is valued at £35m then offer up to £25m for Pavard and if Bayern don’t budge, move on

Strelok

Well, if you are of the opinion that the sun rises out of the manager’s arse, then I guess no point debating. Everything that the manager did was the right decision, Weghorst was a great signing.
I'd love that but tbh that's what I'm absolutely against. He's human too. Human makes mistakes. But imo Antony and WW could not be considered a stick to beat him with. Both transfers have served its main purposes imo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m not the biggest fans of players that want a specific position.

Under a manager like Ten Hag the team should be very flexible.

Im sure he is - but if he is coming with some hesitation to play at RB then I’d be okay to look at some other options.