Benjamin William White | Brighton HA centre half with a sprinkle of Leeds United...

Nickosaur

We have seven CBs at the moment, last season the main starters were Dunk, Webster and Burn as we switched between a back 3 and 4 with Duffy as back up. As others have mentioned we also have Clarke who has had an impressive season long loan at Derby as well as White at Leeds. Then we've just bought Veltman who though he can play right back is mainly a right sided CB. As Tony Bloom put it in a recent interview, we have "an abundance of centre backs"

But we will fight tooth and nail to hang onto White for the moment. Clarke will go back on loan and it looks like Duffy could well be off to Celtic. If Dunk wants to move to a bigger club, this is his last chance and I don't think the club would stand in the way of that if the right offer came in. Trouble is White hasn't signed a new contract with us yet, he's contracted to us until 2022 with an option to extend for a year apparently, so a lot will depend on that.

I think we'd sell him for a big offer as we have two other young CBs coming through who are also quite highly rated, Haydon Roberts and Leo Ostigard, the Athl;etic are reporting that Roberts might end up at Leeds instead.

It will take a bid north of 45 million to get White this summer, which is a lot for a player who has never played a minute in the prem, however highly rated he is.

My best guess is we will lose Dunk and Duffy and keep White for at least a season and then if goes, hopefully after a good season for even more money, we will have a ready made replacement in either Clarke or Roberts.

It's an exciting time to be a young player at Brighton as we have some real talents coming through alongside him, players like Lamptey, Mac Allister, Connolly and Alzate to name just a few, so I'm hoping that'll help turn his head.

Leeds have already had two possibly three bids (depending what you read) turned down, the highest so far being 25 million plus add ons. We are clearly determined to keep him or get silly money from a bigger club.

Good article on it all here:
https://theathletic.co.uk/2005302/2020/08/20/ben-white-lewis-dunk-brighton-transfer-window/
Well said. He's going to be a top player, and I can't wait to see him in Potter's system this season. Really should suit Ben and his strengths.

I'm still hoping Brighton keep hold of Dunk - a back three of Dunk, Webster and White would be fantastic - all very confident and technical centre backs. But I guess I could somewhat see the logic of cashing in on Dunk now - would not hold that against him at all. He's been brilliant in the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its not criticism of anyone.
Well it was posted in agreement to someone saying ‘the grass is always greener’. Then you broke down how he currently compares unfavourably to Maguire in aspects of his game. He is all about potential at this stage.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well it was posted in agreement to someone saying ‘the grass is always greener’. Then you broke down how he currently compares unfavourably to Maguire in aspects of his game. He is all about potential at this stage.
Grass is not always greener is not criticism for player, If anything is to criticize fans who watch these highlight reels and expect them to do same thing in every game when those dribbles are rarity for a CB.

Also posting stats to show how Maguire is better is not criticizing other player, it's to praise Maguire.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Grass is not always greener is not criticism for player, If anything is to criticize fans who watch these highlight reels and expect them to do same thing in every game when those dribbles are rarity for a CB.

Also posting stats to show how Maguire is better is not criticizing other player, it's to praise Maguire.
What's interesting from your comparison is that Maguire was better in that regard at Hull when he was a £2.5m player.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Well said. He's going to be a top player, and I can't wait to see him in Potter's system this season. Really should suit Ben and his strengths.

I'm still hoping Brighton keep hold of Dunk - a back three of Dunk, Webster and White would be fantastic - all very confident and technical centre backs. But I guess I could somewhat see the logic of cashing in on Dunk now - would not hold that against him at all. He's been brilliant in the PL.
Looks like you’ll get to see those back 3 lining up together now Dunk’s signed up for 5 years!