Bernardo Silva vs Kevin de Bruyne

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who do you think has been the better player for City in general? Is Silva really inferior to De Bruyne?

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
In almost equal measure, they have delivered when it mattered most.

Argue about Silva vs Bruno.
Same countrymen
Same age.
Same body stature.

Every time it looks like we usually get the bad part of the bargain.

sherrinford

David Silva was de Bruyne's equal in terms of calibre, while being his polar opposite in terms of qualities and tendencies.

Bernardo Silva is clearly inferior.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Bruyne, come on now.

tomaldinho1

Silva has a much less appreciated role given his ball turnovers/retention and general dog like work around his area of the pitch but I don’t think people will compare him to KDB in terms of overall quality. Maybe it’s unfair but it’s only recently Rodri really became appreciated by the general football fan, and his role is quite easy to watch and know if he’s good or bad. With Silva much of what he does isn’t exactly making a highlight reel but I’d say he’s just as important as KDB to that team (though both are less important than Rodri given how Pep plays).

DWelbz19

Silva has a much less appreciated role given his ball turnovers/retention and general dog like work around his area of the pitch but I don’t think people will compare him to KDB in terms of overall quality. Maybe it’s unfair but it’s only recently Rodri really became appreciated by the general football fan, and his role is quite easy to watch and know if he’s good or bad. With Silva much of what he does isn’t exactly making a highlight reel but I’d say he’s just as important as KDB to that team (though both are less important than Rodri given how Pep plays).
When it comes to ball retention, dribbling with the ball, and being press resistant in ridiculously tight areas of the pitch — I can’t think of many players better than Bernardo in the past however many years. He’s also got great stamina and endurance — a bit like Fernandes with that slight marathon runner build. Bernardo will go down as a very good player.

But De Bruyne will rightfully go down as one of the best. Probably the best attacking midfielder of his generation in the end.

kaku06

I don’t know from where this recent over the top Bernardo silva praise has started. Seen few of them now. Excellent player? Yes. One of the best players for city over the years? Of course. But he’s not comparable to De Bruyne. Not even close. Some muppets like Rory Jennings really wonder how he’s not won the ballon d’or? :houllier:

tomaldinho1

When it comes to ball retention, dribbling with the ball, and being press resistant in ridiculously tight areas of the pitch — I can’t think of many players better than Bernardo in the past however many years. He’s also got great stamina and endurance — a bit like Fernandes with that slight marathon runner build. Bernardo will go down as a very good player.

But De Bruyne will rightfully go down as one of the best. Probably the best attacking midfielder of his generation in the end.
Yeah he's definitely more sharp off the mark than Bruno though, that's the big issue we have to be honest, lots of these players who are a bit older and can't really beat a man/get a yard when they need it though the centre of our team; Bruno, Eriksen, Case, Varane, Maguire, Licha isn't that quick either. Mainoo is basically the only one through our spine who has a similar burst of pace + is technically good.

KDB is a top top player, he has got such a free role now that his stats are getting ballooned (like Bruno's were when he played that 10 role in front of the double pivot and was allowed to do anything he wanted) but from his age range -/+ a few years he's the best attacking CM I think across world football.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I still believe that Bernardo Silva was the cream of the crop from that Monaco team, even above Mbappe - I can't believe we missed out on him.

It's very close between the two. De Bruyne is the most dangerous generally, but if I had to bet on one of the two showing up then I'd back the consistency of Bernardo. I do think he plays an equally important, but perhaps less appreciated role. His ball retention and operation in tight spaces is amazing. His work rate has been really good for many years now, something that also caught my eye at Monaco.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's pretty close imo. Bernardo is an absolutely incredible player. Somehow they replaced David Silva with a better version of David Silva.

The most annoying thing was how we looked like we would've been favourites to get him if we went for him, and so many of us were crying out to sign him that summer... Only for city to sign him on cheap. Pissed me off that one.

Righteous Steps

It's pretty close imo. Bernardo is an absolutely incredible player. Somehow they replaced David Silva with a better version of David Silva.

The most annoying thing was how we looked like we would've been favourites to get him if we went for him, and so many of us were crying out to sign him that summer... Only for city to sign him on cheap. Pissed me off that one.
In no way is Bernardo a better version of David Silva.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

=/

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think it's close and I think Bernardo is slightly better. They're both good enough to be annoying though. Why can't someone make a Skrtel vs Henchoz thread or Shawn wright philips vs daniel james

E-mal

City's most important player is Rodri, they simply dont lose with him in the team

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I won't add to the dogpile but the notion that Bernardo is superior to David Silva is silly.

The_Midfielder

In almost equal measure, they have delivered when it mattered most.

Argue about Silva vs Bruno.
Same countrymen
Same age.
Same body stature.

Every time it looks like we usually get the bad part of the bargain.
If you put Silva in our team , he will be like Mata..
No pass .. cuts inside ..tries to shoot ..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also think Bernardo is better than David but calling him a better version is...uh. They're not particularly similar players at all

Oranges038

Obviously he is.

Bernardo is good, but no way is he better or more important to City than David Silva or KDB.

Offsideagain

Bernardo is like Antony, he has one trick. Hover about on the right of the area, dummy the left back and shoot near post or curl to top left. He is though clearly a much better all round player than Antony but KDB is now different class. KDB wasn't rated by Jose at Chelsea though but he was young then.

OleTheGreat

I personally think Bernardo Silva is more important to Josep than Kevin De Bruyne but overall I think they are both very good footballers and if you get to stay in a Pep's team for more than a couple of seasons, you are really a special player because Pep is very strict and requires absolute commitment in every game. He will not forgive players who give away the ball and he certainly will not forgive the ones who think of themselves as bigger than the team or the club.

So Kevin De Bruyne above Bernardo purely on merit.

chomsky89

Although I'm leaning towards KDB being slightly better, you can't talk about Bernardo without mentioning that he reduces the opposition's chances of scoring a lot more than normal for a player often used as a winger. Especially if city is already leading. He does "positive-time wasting" Fifa-98 style by running with the ball glued to his foot and masking almost no risky passes. Often 3 minutes fly by with him having the ball in 90 of those seconds. It is very damaging to teams.

Odegaard is also doing that btw.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
KDB is a unicorn but Bernardo is an amazing player in so many respects.

Can't wait for both of them to feck off.

Pep has been blessed with so many great midfielders over the year that I think the football world at some point just came to assume he would always have top top players in these positions. But they are actually so hard to find and City's recent run of midfield buys just underlines that point - Nunes, Phillips, Kovacic all below the standard, Alvarez a good second striker but in no way a real replacement for KDB, they're linked with Paqueta but he won't hit that level either.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Such different players. Apples to oranges comparison. The fact that they both occupied city’s midfield for periods of time is pretty much the only common ground.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still believe that Bernardo Silva was the cream of the crop from that Monaco team, even above Mbappe - I can't believe we missed out on him.

It's very close between the two. De Bruyne is the most dangerous generally, but if I had to bet on one of the two showing up then I'd back the consistency of Bernardo. I do think he plays an equally important, but perhaps less appreciated role. His ball retention and operation in tight spaces is amazing. His work rate has been really good for many years now, something that also caught my eye at Monaco.
Bernardo Silva above Mbappé is ridiculous now, come on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
City's most important player is Rodri, they simply dont lose with him in the team
I think that, by a clear margin, Kyle Walker is their most important individual player. I was so happy when I saw him getting linked to Bayern last year.

Actually, maybe not a clear margin, Rodri isn’t far behind.

padr81

Supports
Man City
FFS.. I love Bernardo but this is a complete non-starter. Bernardo is a wondeful player with a great engine who Pep has molded into almost the perfect Pep system player.

KDB sits in the group with Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard as PL's best ever.

They aren't comparable. Theres no KDB is "slightly better" here. They are in completely different tiers.

DWelbz19

I personally think Bernardo Silva is more important to Josep than Kevin De Bruyne but overall I think they are both very good footballers and if you get to stay in a Pep's team for more than a couple of seasons, you are really a special player because Pep is very strict and requires absolute commitment in every game. He will not forgive players who give away the ball and he certainly will not forgive the ones who think of themselves as bigger than the team or the club.

So Kevin De Bruyne above Bernardo purely on merit.
Josep

GlasgowCeltic

One of their cheat codes along with Walker’s pace, can fill basically any of the positions between Rodri and Haaland to a high level

OleTheGreat

Bernardo Silva above Mbappé is ridiculous now, come on.
It is definitely true. Bernardo is fantastic footballer who is underrated by everyone. He is not in the spotlight because City is filled with players of his calibre. Mbappe outshines everyone because let's be honest, its PSG. Bernardo has numerous skills and his ball retention is aces. I love the way he manipulates the ball in tight spaces. Not only that he also manipulates the opponents with half turns and body feints that are a delight to watch. You should understand that I'm a Man Utd fan and I like this guy, meaning he must special. hahaha..

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Remember that season when KDB was out for most of it and City didn't lose much of a step because of Silva the Younger?

But the answer is still KDB, by far

And also, if Barcelona and/or PSG were not broke/low balling the transfer fee, Bernardo would have been in Paris/Barcelona years ago.

marktan

De Bruyne has often been the one providing the spark in tight matches in the league. A lot of assists in their 1 goal wins in the last few years.

Bernardo is a very good luxury player you add on to an already good team. Case in point - he never looks great for Portugal. If you add him to this United team, he wouldn't look that great either. Good in a possession heavy team, but not a player that would be great in any team the way De Bruyne or David Silva would be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is definitely true. Bernardo is fantastic footballer who is underrated by everyone. He is not in the spotlight because City is filled with players of his calibre. Mbappe outshines everyone because let's be honest, its PSG. Bernardo has numerous skills and his ball retention is aces. I love the way he manipulates the ball in tight spaces. Not only that he also manipulates the opponents with half turns and body feints that are a delight to watch. You should understand that I'm a Man Utd fan and I like this guy, meaning he must special. hahaha..
You’re preaching to the choir, I’m a big fan of Silva’s work, but Mbappé is a different level and is the best player in the world. Silva isn’t. He’s one of a few midfielders with incredible close control and dribbling ability.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
KBD is capable of things that Bernardo Silva isn't. He can produce a through ball that very few players in the world can match over the last decade. He has otherworldly technique. On his day he is undoubtedly in a tier above. But.....and there's always a but, isn't there? Bernando Silva does a lot that goes unheralded. Here is a guy that joined as a winger, but now plays in central midfield. He has a touch of the Modric about him, in that he works tirelessly hard, and there is likely no better player in the world at navigating his way out of tight spaces. He's a brilliant dribbler in the middle of the park, and he makes everyone else around him look and play better. He's also almost always available. Such a wonderful player. He's got technique, work rate, and there is hardly a better player under pressure than him. I think he is quite underrated if anything. He'll pick the ball up off the defence, but also be there to link the attack. He's everywhere, and just glides across the pitch. People sometimes think he's underperforming if he is isn't racking up goals and assists, but he's really there to keep the City machine ticking over.