g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Best assist you've ever seen?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Scholes vs AC Milan

Not necessarily the best, but definitely my favourite.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I was trying to find an assist of De la Peña.
I liked his straight long passes passing between legs by centimeters but later I found a video next to Laudrup :drool:
Not his best but I always remember this one,classic Laudrup pass to Romario.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Redondo vs. United

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way - not the best ever, of course, but have you ever seen a backheel nutmeg assist before?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

One of my favorite's was Veron to Solskjaer in a Champions League win over Deportivo. He was on the right side near the half way line and just takes a long and beautifully strokes it with the outside of his foot and it glides across the surface past everyone and right to Ole to finish. Majestic.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Ronaldiho assists Guily 05/06 CL semi final v AC Milan.

Edit: Starts at 0:28.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If it’s just purely on the assist, it’s just a long ball over the top. Honestly think it’s an overrated goal because Ayala forgot Bergkamp has a first touch like that
"Just a long ball over the top".... "overrated goal"..... :nono:

De Boer probably couldn't be 100% sure what Bergkamp would do with it (though he may have had an idea knowing it was Bergkamp) but he clearly plays it into a specific area from some distance.

If this is just a long ball, Rooney to RVP is a hopeful punt.

(P.S.... the commentary? :))

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Veron's flick to Ruud was ridiculous, as was Ruud's control and volley.

Fletcher's long ball to Ruud vs Fenerbahce was sublime. (Ruud also had a nice layoff to Rooney in the match)

Gerrard's pass to Henry in 2006 and his selfless pass to Ba in 2014.

There's many more if I really gave more thought to it.

diarm

Can this one be on the shortlist just for this video? (Click for sound)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pogba to Harrop v Palace, 7:30 in this video:

Maybe not best ever but worth a mention, it was sublime.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Riquelme's for Saviola in the 2006 world cup, can't remember who it was against but it was a defence splitting pass that literally came from nowhere. Was a mesmerising bit of play...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A Berba special of which I could find no youtube replays, bicycle kick pass:

5:25 - 5:33

Maradona used to do something similar regularly, but flicking the ball up to head height and then bicycling in a cross.

Edit: The Silva one from the 1-6 is a poor imitation of this, he needs two touches :smirk:

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Oh yeah, and Beckham's two crosses to Yorke against Inter in 99. Not saying the greatest crosses I've ever seen but just the magic of that night. I had dreamed the night before I was starting up front and had scored twice against Inter, one off a Beckham cross. It was like a dream playing out in real life with Yorke in the starring role.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maradona used to do something similar regularly, but flicking the ball up to head height and then bicycling in a cross.
Yeah, it was absolutely ridiculous. Posted a video with a few of them on the first page.

And then, in the video with Messi below, it says: "probably the first overhead assist ever" :lol:

diarm

I have an image in my head, from my childhood so it's pretty hazy, of Mark Hughes putting a ball around the defender with the outside of his foot from out wide. Can't remember who finished it and I want to say it was against Chelsea but not sure. If I'm not imagining it it was a hell of an assist.

beergod

1:50 The weighting of the pass, like so many of the other Veron assists mentioned, is incredible. On this one even more so because of how he got it to sit up at the perfect height for Forlan.

manutddjw

Berbatov to Ronaldo was the first one that came to mind when I saw the title.

In the Stevie G Hall of Fame Assist wing is Joe Hart to Zlatan.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Not an assist or anything, but there's this skill I saw once in a video that I haven't been able to find again. Basically a player in mid-air controls and redirects a lofted pass with the same foot.

Another time when I think Chelsea were on a counterattack and Mata? hits a curled but grounded pass across the field. Nice bit of play but can't find either anywhere.