Best CB pairing

Ekeke

Jones has been here too long and made far too many mistakes. He has a couple of good games then gets injured or has a howler. Injuries and a lack of a consistent run in the side ruined the potential he had.
He's 26.

Yes he obviously needs to sort his fitness out. Although last season it was fine to start 23 league matches when he didnt start the season as a first choice. But no his potential hasnt gone anywhere.

Bwuk

He's 26.

Yes he obviously needs to sort his fitness out. Although last season it was fine to start 23 league matches when he didnt start the season as a first choice. But no his potential hasnt gone anywhere.
He’s been in our first team for 8 years, and it’s been the same story the whole time.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Again it wasnt last season.
He is good enough to choose the best club he can in the PL who are interested. Who knows, even Liverpool might come knocking. My point is, it could be shrewd business by another club if he can stay fit. However, that risk should be with the team that choose to purchase him and not with us anymore, he has to leave. Do you agree?

However, I will concede he played almost as well as Lindelof offensively, and probably a bit better defensively overall. But he was still weak on corners mind you

Ekeke

He is good enough to choose the best club he can in the PL who are interested. Who knows, even Liverpool might come knocking. My point is, it could be shrewd business by another club if he can stay fit. However, that risk should be with the team that choose to purchase him and not with us anymore, he has to leave. Do you agree?

However, I will concede he played almost as well as Lindelof offensively, and probably a bit better defensively overall. But he was still weak on corners mind you
I think he's good enough as a squad player if he can stay fit like he did last season. If he cant then get someone else.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think he's good enough as a squad player if he can stay fit like he did last season. If he cant then get someone else.
So essentially: lets get someone else. If we sell him and the stays fit, he wouldn't have done it here anyways. That is where we are with him. The weird thing is he doesn't even have a specific known problem. Seems its just accidents every time. A little bit suspect. It would have made more sense if he had a knee problem or something. He is so weird

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe even Bailly instead of Lindelof if the new defender can pass.
I have different opinion. Lindelof is ball playing defender, so give me beast aside him. Not that i don't trust in Bailly. I still believe thst he is very good defender. We shall see.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I have different opinion. Lindelof is ball playing defender, so give me beast aside him. Not that i don't trust in Bailly. I still believe thst he is very good defender. We shall see.
So he's the one ball playing defender in the squad currently, what happens to the style of play if he's injured? We need another.

el3mel

Well Bailly is not bad on the ball. He is all round defender
I can't see how Bailly will break in here. Lindelof is our best CB at ball playing so he has to play, but his partner needs to be good at aerial dueling and positioning and Bailly is awful at this so will always be Smalling or Jones till we get a new CB.

Bailly is a decent defender but can't see where he's going to play here all honestly.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
5 out of 5 accurate long balls today

You'd trust Lindelof with a 60 yard switch? He attempted 8 long balls today, 1 found the target
Stats are stats. Spinning a 30 yarder across the backline to the right back is not the same as spotting a gap to thread a ball through to the attacking players but it'll make for a nice "completed long range pass" all the same. There was a reason Lindelof was playing as the right centre back on his stronger foot and not Jones, the vision and composure we all know Jones has never possessed.

If we're relying on Phil Jones being a big defender for us beyond this summer then I've sad news for everyone.

Ekeke

Stats are stats. Spinning a 30 yarder across the backline to the right back is not the same as spotting a gap to thread a ball through to the attacking players but it'll make for a nice "completed long range pass" all the same. There was a reason Lindelof was playing as the right centre back on his stronger foot and not Jones, the vision and composure we all know Jones has never possessed.

If we're relying on Phil Jones being a big defender for us beyond this summer then I've sad news for everyone.
But how can you complete a 60 yard long pass if the stats say you miss most of your long balls?

So the answer is neither will do that. But a CB doesnt have to play great long passes to be good. Bonucci mostly plays short passes but plays 1-2s to get himself into midfield

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I have a feeling even Smalling would have completed a couple of nice passes to the striker between the midfield in this setup tbf. Lets not go overboard.

Toad

A new top class CB in January would be great, then Lindelof, Bailly and Smalling can all fight for that pairing for the second half of the season. Rojo and Jones can do one.

wolvored

If Jones gets a new contract then the same shit we have had with players not good enough and/or injury prone will still remain. Either give Bailly and Lindelof a run, or go out and buy at least one CD in January. If there is no money available in January and If I was Ole I would recall Tuanzebe from Villa and try and move on Jones and Rojo. We would still have 4 CD then.

Red_Orchestra

So we all agree Lindelof +1
We all can agree on this, today we saw how Lindelof should have been played from the beginning. He needs to have that free roam role where he can go higher up the pitch and help build the attack when needed or be at Matic's side.

So I think a good anchor for when Lindelof makes those runs forward would be Smalling out the lot.

Fracture90

Lindelof-Jones is good against teams that won't press us high and don't have quick strikers, but their lack of pace (abd strength in Lindelof's case) is liability imo.

Think Bailly paired with any of the two would be better.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Tuabzebe.

Litch

It's funny cause you have to put all our CB's best values to equate to the one CB at Liverpool. I therefore think signing one good CB makes most of them redundant and then who plays with the new signing, is more about how they compliment him and not the other way around. That said I like Bailly and think his ceiling is higher than the rest, just think he needs to be guided by a more older and experienced player....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lindelof and Bailly
I see this suggestion everywhere but imho it’s one or the other. They both have issues. Lindelof good going forward but defensively still suspect including heading and positioning weaknesses. Bailly not great in air either and very rash

Jacob

Bailly missed a few brain cells. He'd be quality otherwise.

Fracture90

I actually hope we will recall Tuanzebe and cut his loan short, he's got all the tools. Quick, composed on the ball, good passing and he's strong.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I see this suggestion everywhere but imho it’s one or the other. They both have issues. Lindelof good going forward but defensively still suspect including heading and positioning weaknesses. Bailly not great in air either and very rash
I get your point, if we are looking to move to the next level then we need to move away from Smalling and Jones...they reek of mediocrity!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bailly and Lindelof have to be the first choice moving forward. Bailly was promising until Jose told him he was a clumsy twat that couldn’t be trusted. Lindelof looked a totally different player yesterday.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bailly and Lindelof have to be the first choice moving forward. Bailly was promising until Jose told him he was a clumsy twat that couldn’t be trusted. Lindelof looked a totally different player yesterday.
Smalling/Lindelhof for me.

Bailly as a good back up.

I can see Roshaun Williams being given an opportunity

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Smalling/Lindelhof for me.

Bailly as a good back up.

I can see Roshaun Williams being given an opportunity
I’m the other way round, I think Smalling would be a great backup but I don’t think he’s good enough to be first choice.

MrSingh2002

Bailly and Rojo. Come at me.

Anyone got stats on the different partnerships performances?

Andrew~

I think they might end up going for a back three: Rojo, Lindelof and Bailly.

As everyone has said, Lindelof doesn’t look comfortable at all when one on one with a physical striker, or when they make runs wide. The two can cover those weeknesses and allow him to do what he does best.

Probably suits the midfield and full backs better too.