best domestic match classics in your lifetime?

Lee565

Domestically I'm struggling to think of a better one in my lifetime than what i saw on sunday between united and Liverpool based on the size of the clubs, the importance of the fixture in terms of rivalry and being the quarter final of fa cup and ten hag trying to hold onto his job and klopp final season, an end to end high scoring match that had to go to extra time and the sheer drama of the momentum swinging back and forth between the sides along with goals being scored late into the halves of the game with a dramatic late winner

Even when compared with all European and international games, it was the most exciting match to watch since the world cup final.

Irwin99

United vs Arsenal in 2005-the 4-2 game, was better. The FA cup semi final in 99 was incredible too.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Steve Bruce scoring twice late on - nothing beats that domestically with the historical significance.

Josh 76

The 1999 semi final replay against Arsenal was the game that will never be beaten for me.

Irwin99

United vs Arsenal in the ‘99 semi is unrivalled. Nothing beats it.
On a related topic, i rewatched it during lockdown a few years back and I wish someone had done a full highlights video of Keane's performance, which admittedly was spoiled by the sending off- i think it would have rivaled his Juventus game if he hadn't been sent off as he absolutely bossed Vieira, who kept losing the ball to Keane's interceptions.

Two superb teams, Arsenal were absolutely brutal with the tough players they had.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not the match but the end of the Watford Leicester play off final was good drama

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The FA Cup semi final day of 1990. RIDICULOUSLY good. Two matches, 240 minutes of football, lovely sunny day, tons of fans from all clubs (no VIP crap) and thirteen! goals.

They experimented by playing them back to back, neutral stadiums obviously (as they should be) and televised (now the norm).
  • Palace 4 : Liverpool 3
  • Liverpool looked like winning the double (and would romp the league that season). Grobbelaar, Hansen, Beardsley, Rush, Barnes
  • Palace were nobodies by comparison though everyone would soon know Ian Wright (plus Bright, Gray, Martyn and a certain Alan Pardew)
  • Lead went from Liverpool to Palace to Liverpool to Palace (not sure I’ve ever seen that before or since?)
  • Man United 3 : Oldham 3
  • A lot of the team that’d win our first title in 26 years.. Robson :drool:, Ince, Bruce, Pallister, McClair….
  • I’ve never done “second teams” but I really liked that Oldham team.. amazing energy and never knew when to quit. They also had a very good FB called… Irwin
  • Oldham winning then United, then level then United then level at 3-3

• Replay on a Wednesday night was a great match too. Over the next couple of weeks, the media will drown us with Mark Robins goal v Forest but forget the winner in ET of the replay
  • Fantastic commentary, no waffle… “Phelan… Robins… YES!” (6 mins in)

• All four teams went at it hammer and tongs. Proper FA cup football

• For goals and drama, best I’ve seen. The only thing that bettered it (not for goals but for atmosphere - I shiver looking back) was the semi and replay v Liverpool in 85. Goodison Park first, Maine Road for the replay… absolutely fecking brutal before, during and after. Nothing beats old, tight grounds with two sets of fans who hate each other:) and with Robson, you think you can beat anyone. And we often did

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
On a related topic, i rewatched it during lockdown a few years back and I wish someone had done a full highlights video of Keane's performance, which admittedly was spoiled by the sending off- i think it would have rivaled his Juventus game if he hadn't been sent off as he absolutely bossed Vieira, who kept losing the ball to Keane's interceptions.

Two superb teams, Arsenal were absolutely brutal with the tough players they had.
Our algorithms feed us the same stuff. Did the same in Lockdown. Keane ruined Vieira that day.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
A lot of games including Arsenal, funnily enough. Liverpool vs Arsenal 1989 to decide the league is something you can watch online now and still get a full sense of the tension and stakes.

The SAF vs Wenger games when both teams were the best in the land are pretty much unrivalled; they weren't just games of football, they meant everything to all involved to the point the fallout from them would overspill massively and set the tone for the next encounter where one of the sides were, yet again, seeking revenge on the other.

The '99 SF has been mentioned, but also the 0-0 is there too, as the best 0-0 I think I've ever seen with performances from Rooney and Ronaldo that made clear they were definitely going to be future legends in football, not just for United.

The FA Cup is traditionally where domestic sides go that extra yard and give everything they have on the day to beat their rivals, so even if league games have that spice, it used to be the FA Cup where things would really go ballistic. Not so much these days, although Sunday was a real throwback to the halcyon days of the Cup.

Ibi Dreams

The only one I can think of that matches it is the 4-3 against City with the Owen winner. Very similar ending to that game :lol:

edit: though not really that important or meaningful as the OP stipulated, sorry

Theo88

:lol:

Could get banned for this but City Qpr. You all know the game really.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In recent times; City vs Liverpool at home in the 2017-18 season.
The 5-0?

I'd go with the 18/19 vintage personally. Also the 21/22 games were pretty awesome too, especially at Anfield with the best goal of Salah's career

Lost count of the clasicos, nowadays they tend to run together. Maybe the 14/15 clasico at the bernabeu? Stands out for how ridiculously good both teams were. The 13/14 one was insane but ruined by one of the worst refereeing performances ever, and the 16/17 one gives me psychic damage. Some Barcelona-Bilbao and Barcelona-Valencia from 11/12, and of course the clasicos from that season as well

Barcelona-Real Madrid 3-3 from 06/07, the game Messi truly established himself as the heir

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The 5-0?

I'd go with the 18/19 vintage personally. Also the 21/22 games were pretty awesome too, especially at Anfield with the best goal of Salah's career

Lost count of the clasicos, nowadays they tend to run together. Maybe the 14/15 clasico at the bernabeu? Stands out for how ridiculously good both teams were. The 13/14 one was insane but ruined by one of the worst refereeing performances ever, and the 16/17 one gives me psychic damage. Some Barcelona-Bilbao and Barcelona-Valencia from 11/12, and of course the clasicos from that season as well

Barcelona-Real Madrid 3-3 from 06/07, the game Messi truly established himself as the heir
No, the 2-1 (Aguero, Firmino and Sane)