Best ever Free Transfer

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I wouldn’t count Pogba or Fabregas. Youth players don’t count in my opinion.

The best free transfer of all time is Lewandowski, followed by Pirlo.

DanClancy

The 99 and 00 transfer windows were really bizarre for United chasing history. I had fully expected they would have signed a top tier defender in summer 2000 after getting Barthez. Then not even making an offer for Campbell, that I know of, in 2001 was odd. Then selling Stam. Really weird times.
Looking back it was a travesty we didn't make another CL final with the 99 team, Fergie went down the wrong route with trying to improve. Irwin wasn't properly replaced for another 5 years and buying Veron when we had Keane & Scholes was crazy. Should have bought a partner for RVN and Sol Campbell.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Ah OK, that makes a lot of sense - thank you. Forgot they lost Gotze that same summer, thought it was the year before. Surprised they didn't try and take the piss by going for Reus too.... though I imagine they did and he said no
They could have tried, but there was 0% chance to sign Reus at this point. He was only 1 year into his contract and Dortmund never sold to Bayern if they had a choice. Götze was a release clause and Lewandowski for free.

Also Bayern still had Robbery.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They promised Lewandowski to sell him (to Bayern) 1 year before he was out of contract. They basically had an agreement for this months before.

But in that season, things had changed. They unexpectedly lost Götze to Bayern too due to an release clause and Bayern offered very low money (15-20m) for Lewandowski because they knew they can get him for free next season.

So they couldn't afford to lose Lewandowski in the same year to Bayern too. So they told him "Sorry, we can't let you go for cheap to Bayern this season. We have lost one of our best players (Götze) already. To compensate you we will raise your paycheck without extending the contract, because we promised you something else".

And it worked out, Lewandowski delivered without moaning, was by far Dortmund's best player that season, and then he went for free to Bayern.
Reus was their best player that season :p

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Where do people rank Ballack?

DanClancy

Where do people rank Ballack?
Remember there was talk that United were in for him and been gutted he went to Chelsea but his time there coincided with a golden era for United. Scholes missed the end of 05/06 season through an eye injury and there was plenty of doubts about him coming back and whether we'd seen the best of him so in hindsight missing out on Ballack worked out very well for United.

iHicksy

People saying Pogba must never actually have watched Juve. He wasn't even the best player they got for free in that Juve team. Let alone the best of all time. Pirlo says hi.

For me it's probably Lewa, then Pirlo. Strong case for Henrik Larrson from celtic to barca though for third.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bruno Fernandes. Actual value is 200m and we paid only 55m euros.
It's not even free, Sporting paid us.

Falcow

Pogba... wasn't there a tribunal fee involved? Probably peanuts but does that technically mean "free"?
Good point actually. Otherwise I think he wins it purely given the 90m fee Jove received a few years later.

Falcow

People saying Pogba must never actually have watched Juve. He wasn't even the best player they got for free in that Juve team. Let alone the best of all time. Pirlo says hi.

For me it's probably Lewa, then Pirlo. Strong case for Henrik Larrson from celtic to barca though for third.
They made 90m on him....who cares about watching them.

iHicksy

They made 90m on him....who cares about watching them.
Maybe football isn't the right sport for you if your classification of who's best is based on how much profit a club made.

Ramos

Schalke getting Raul for free was something back in the day. Deserves a mention.

thepolice123

Paul Pogba to Juventus - key man in their domestic dominance, carried them to CL final, sold for world record fee, and even now they're desperate to get him back.
Pogba was good for Juve but no where in god’s green earth did he carry them to the CL Final. I don’t think he was even their top 3 key men in that season.

Love the hyperbolics in this place sometimes. :lol:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Lewa, because it was the "perfect free transfer". It utterly fecked their closest rivals who haven't won a title since.

Bayern's best ever Bundesliga run of wins was 3 before 2013, they've now done a clean sweep of 8.

Ridiculous free transfer, taking Hummels and Lewa cemented Bayern's position for the next decade.
Hummels didn't change much in the Bayern-Dortmund dynamics. 2013-2016 when Hummels was at Dortmund, 2016-2019 when Hummels was at Bayern and 2019-Date with Hummels back at Dortmund. Nothing really changed

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
They could have tried, but there was 0% chance to sign Reus at this point. He was only 1 year into his contract and Dortmund never sold to Bayern if they had a choice. Götze was a release clause and Lewandowski for free.

Also Bayern still had Robbery.
Hummels?

Falcow

Maybe football isn't the right sport for you if your classification of who's best is based on how much profit a club made.
Sorry didnt realise the thread title and opening post asked which free transfer was best from a football ability perspective.

Oh look, it didnt.

Falcow

Man Utd made more on Ronaldo than Juventus did on Pogba, and Pogba wasn’t free - he was very very cheap, but not free.
Really? Thought we sold Ronaldo for 86m? Was that Stg? If so then the 12m Eur we paid for him still makes Pogba more profitable for Juve?

Maybe my figures are wrong.

Really? Thought we sold Ronaldo for 86m? Was that Stg? If so then the 12m Eur we paid for him still makes Pogba more profitable for Juve?

Maybe my figures are wrong.
we are sort of both right. But I didn’t explain very well. You would be right, if we just looked at transfer fees. But Pogba’s transfer was different to Ronaldo, as his agent took a massive fee from the money we paid.

Mino took a big chunk of the transfer fee from Juventus, in the region of £24m which he agreed when he took him to Juventus. This came out of the fee we paid Juventus.

As an aside, We then paid the agent a fee on top of this.

so Juventus made about £65.5m on him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....om-transfer-to-manchester-united-say-juventus

we sold Ronaldo for £80m, bought him for about £12.25m, so our profit was £67.75m.

we actually made about £2.6m in addition due to Ronaldo’s to Juventus as compensation because we bought him as an 18 year old from Sporting.

Link.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/ronaldo-united-real-juventus-188156

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....om-transfer-to-manchester-united-say-juventus

there’s not a great deal in it, but we made more on Ronaldo, than Juventus did on Pogba.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Ever? Puskás to Real Madrid, without a shadow of a doubt — to join the club at age 31 and do what he did is an irreplaceable feat.
  • 242 goals in all competitions
  • 3 European Cup titles
  • 5 La Liga titles
  • 2 x European Cup top scorer
  • 4 x Pichichi
  • 7 European Cup final goals
  • 14 El Clásico goals
Tempted to go with Lewandowski for the post-1995 period. His statistical resumé is phenomenal and he banished some of his Champions League demons last season.
Recency bias

iHicksy

Sorry didnt realise the thread title and opening post asked which free transfer was best from a football ability perspective.

Oh look, it didnt.
It doesn't need to. If you have any common sense it's implied. Since a players cost has no correlation with their footballing ability. Jesus wept.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ronaldo to Madrid was basically free considering what they achieved with him and who we replaced him with. But it's hard to look past the players posted above.
Yeah when you takeaway the £80million pounds that left Madrid's accounts and went into United's, it pretty much was a free transfer for him. Solid business.

Falcow

we are sort of both right. But I didn’t explain very well. You would be right, if we just looked at transfer fees. But Pogba’s transfer was different to Ronaldo, as his agent took a massive fee from the money we paid.

Mino took a big chunk of the transfer fee from Juventus, in the region of £24m which he agreed when he took him to Juventus. This came out of the fee we paid Juventus.

As an aside, We then paid the agent a fee on top of this.

so Juventus made about £65.5m on him.

we sold Ronaldo for £80m, bought him for about £12.25m, so our profit was £67.75m.

we actually made about £2.6m in addition due to Ronaldo’s to Juventus as compensation because we bought him as an 18 year old from Sporting.

Link.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/ronaldo-united-real-juventus-188156

there’s not a great deal in it, but we made more on Ronaldo, than Juventus did on Pogba.
Fair enough, thanks.

Crazy to think what Ravioli made from that transfer.

Being paid the average income in the UK(30k) it would only take one 800 years to earn that 24m.....assuming the 30k was tax free of course. I'm sure Ravioli is domiciled in the Caymans.

Why I dont see anything unfair about that.

Falcow

It doesn't need to. If you have any common sense it's implied. Since a players cost has no correlation with their footballing ability. Jesus wept.
Yeah especially when the topic and thread title is about transfers/monetary value. Only an idiot would bring a transfer fee into this discussion.

Untwist you knickers dear.