Best ever XI of PL players at their very best...

Champagne Football

Baffles me that people don't mention him. He was miles better than that spoofer John Terry. Longevity and Englishness goes a long way I suppose.
In fairness any 2 of Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic, Adams, Terry would be a fair choice. Comes down to opinion at the end of the day.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
..........................Cudicini......................
Petrescu...Terry.....Luiz ....Cole
Laudrup...Gullit..Deschamps..Robben
...................Etoo..Sheva...............

Didn't say their peak had to be in the premier league...

Jaybomb

In fairness any 2 of Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic, Adams, Terry would be a fair choice. Comes down to opinion at the end of the day.
Terry and Adams were never world class players like Vidic and Stam were. Only a biased English pundit whos friends with the two geezers would tell you otherwise.

Terry is a Chelsea legend. Stam is a football legend.

duffer

Scout
Terry and Adams were never world class players like Vidic and Stam were. Only a biased English pundit whos friends with the two geezers would tell you otherwise.

Terry is a Chelsea legend. Stam is a football legend.
Im a big Stam fan but Terry was better. Imagine how much better he would have been if he was juiced to the tits like Stam was.

POF

Anyone not including Stam in a team of players at their peaks is off their rocker.

Rio, Vidic, Terry, Adams, McGrath were all superb defenders but Jaap led a defence that won the treble, beside Ronny Johnsen, Henning Berg and David May.

Not one of those names above could have managed what he did alongside those players.
Ronny Johnsen was an excellent defender. Certainly better than Jonny Evans who was a regular next to Vidic in a number of title winning campaigns. Henning Berg was better than Evans too.

As a defender, Stam was incredible. He was unbeatable one on one. Vidic was a better organiser and defended more as part of a unit. Both amazing defenders. It's just a shame they never got to play in the same team.

POF

No Cech, Desailly, Ballack, Ferrer or Zola?

duffer

Scout
No Cech, Desailly, Ballack, Ferrer or Zola?
Cech was a better goalie than Carlo but I was going for some less obvious but possibly arguable picks. At his very best, Cuducini was amazing.

As for the rest, I was going for a "great but not necessarily great for Chelsea" feel.

diarm

Ronny Johnsen was an excellent defender. Certainly better than Jonny Evans who was a regular next to Vidic in a number of title winning campaigns. Henning Berg was better than Evans too.

As a defender, Stam was incredible. He was unbeatable one on one. Vidic was a better organiser and defended more as part of a unit. Both amazing defenders. It's just a shame they never got to play in the same team.
Ronny Johnsen was a good defender, not an excellent one. Henning Berg was fine, not as good as Johnsen but not bad. Without Stam there, those two weren't winning a trophy, let alone a treble. I wouldn't have either of them ahead of Jonny Evans who despite being the pantomime villain of the month before he left, was a fine defender. And let's not forget, he was never a first choice CB during those title winning campaigns.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Vidic, but it's easy to say he was better at organising a defence when he had Rio beside him. Stam was the complete defender. Every bit as tough and dominant as Vida, possibly even more so, but also superb with the ball at his feet and capable of driving forwards with it.

At his peak, there is no premier league CB who comes close to his dominance in the role.

Gazza

_______ Schmeichel 92- 96_____
Neville 03-06 - Ferdinand 06-09 - Stam 98-00 - Cole 03-07
Beckham 97-00 - Keane 99-01 - Vieira 98-02 - Ronaldo 06-08
________ Henry 01-05 - Shearer 92-96 _______

Subs:
Scholes, Silva, Pires, Ruud, Terry, De Gea, Irwin

Tough one between Vieira and Scholes. Coin flip. Same with Silva and Becks. Think De Gea has done enough by now to edge out Cech and van der Sar. Not been too many high class RBs over time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Unpopular but as good as DDG has been I don't think his best season has been as good as Big Pete, Cech, VDS in their best season. I'd probably get lynched for adding Lehmann in there but he probably had a year that good too.

Moby

Dick
Im a big Stam fan but Terry was better. Imagine how much better he would have been if he was juiced to the tits like Stam was.
Stam wasn't a fish out of water when taken out of a deep af backline and no protection. Terry is the very definition of a system baby.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Big Pete
Neville
Ferdinand
Stam
Cole
Beckham
Keane
Fabregas
Bale
Henry
Ronaldo

No idea what formation they'd play but they'd win.

littleman

Schmeichel
Irwin
Ferdinand
Stam
Cole
Keane
Fabregas
Ronaldo
Bale
Henry
Suarez

Best of the best IMO.

Sparky10Legend

Problem being Gullit was never a cm.....

As for the rest of the team, hmmmmm.

POF

Ronny Johnsen was a good defender, not an excellent one. Henning Berg was fine, not as good as Johnsen but not bad. Without Stam there, those two weren't winning a trophy, let alone a treble. I wouldn't have either of them ahead of Jonny Evans who despite being the pantomime villain of the month before he left, was a fine defender. And let's not forget, he was never a first choice CB during those title winning campaigns.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Vidic, but it's easy to say he was better at organising a defence when he had Rio beside him. Stam was the complete defender. Every bit as tough and dominant as Vida, possibly even more so, but also superb with the ball at his feet and capable of driving forwards with it.

At his peak, there is no premier league CB who comes close to his dominance in the role.
Your second paragraph makes my point. Rio missed a lot of football during a very successful era for United. Vidic with Evans next to him were a formidable pairing. Evans with anyone else was an utter liability. In fact, Rio next to anyone else was error prone and susceptible to terrible lapses in concentration.

As an individual one on one defender Stam was immense. He was better suited to that team than Vidic would have been because it was a very attacking team with Keane almost on his own in midfield and Stam was regularly left exposed to players running at him. He was amazing in that scenario.

Vidic was better at organising the defence and the best defender in the air I've seen at United. He seemed to win every header he competed for.

I agree that Stam was amazing and carried that defence but it's disrespectful to Vidic to suggest he didn't do the same. Do you remember United's defence before he joined and in the seasons he was injured? The quality of United's defence with and without Vidic in that era was like night and day. In fact, the season he had the serious injury in Basel, United conceded one goal in the games he played (a disgracefully awarded penalty) and were a rabble without him.

Sparky10Legend

He didn't just play for Milan.

Perhaps you are over thinking this.

Maybe so lol.

Just in my view Gullit was never world class for Chelsea, only Milan. At Milan he played as a roving 10/wide forward whereas you have him in a position which kinda looks like Central Midfield

duffer

Scout
Maybe so lol.

Just in my view Gullit was never world class for Chelsea, only Milan. At Milan he played as a roving 10/wide forward whereas you have him in a position which kinda looks like Central Midfield
He was certainly in his prime at Milan. I'm not gonna get into the whole "what is world class" issue but he was still fantastic for us, despite being old and slower.

My team is pretty much all players who were better at other clubs (sheva, laudrup), that was the whole point of picking most of them!

Sparky10Legend

He was certainly in his prime at Milan. I'm not gonna get into the whole "what is world class" issue but he was still fantastic for us, despite being old and slower.

My team is pretty much all players who were better at other clubs (sheva, laudrup), that was the whole point of picking most of them!

In that case fair dues.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
--------------- Schmeichel
Neville - Vidic -------- Stam - Evra
Scholes --- Essien
Schweinsteiger
Ronaldo -- Shevchenko -- Suarez

Shocked I'm the first to include Bastian. Likewise, no Falcao, Blanc, Salgado, Veron etc.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
--------------- Schmeichel
Neville - Vidic -------- Stam - Evra
Scholes --- Essien
Schweinsteiger
Ronaldo -- Shevchenko -- Suarez

Shocked I'm the first to include Bastian. Likewise, no Falcao, Blanc, Salgado, Veron etc.
I'm assuming its their best form while in the premier league, so none of those would count.

Any team that has Hazard or doesn't have Henry is just wrong for me.

Schmeichel

Neville
Vidic
Stam
Cole

Scholes
Keane
Gerrard

Ronaldo
Suarez
Henry

That would be my team

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the central defence has to be Vidic 08/09 and Terry 04/05. Each the key defenders and ever-present in backlines that broke records which have yet to be equaled. I don't think any defenders in the PL era have had better single seasons than those mentioned. Henry and Suarez would be my choice up front but you could make a case for Shearer, RvP and a few others. Ronaldo 07/08 on the right is a no brainer. Scholes shouldn't be anywhere near a team like this.

EDIT: By the way I'm just going for players who in my view had the best single seasons, otherwise it just becomes like any other EPL Best XI thread.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not at Milan he didn't.
He played centrally for Sampdoria in Serie A if I remember rightly. The thing is I'd buy Gullit in any position on the park, he has all the tools to play anywhere and operated up front, at sweeper and on the right of the attack to a top level.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My team is built on the premise that you can only be in the team of Permier League all time XI if you've lifted the trophy.

Schmiechel
A. Cole, Stam, Vidic, Irwin
Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane, Giggs
Bergkamp, Henry

Bench: Adams, Evra, Cantona, Ruud, Viera, Robben, VDS

Squad: Rio, Terry, Lampard, Pirez, Rooney, Cech, Ljundberg (need them pacey wingers!)
It seems like you have Cashley Cole on the right?

Jagga7

Anyone not including Stam in a team of players at their peaks is off their rocker.

Rio, Vidic, Terry, Adams, McGrath were all superb defenders but Jaap led a defence that won the treble, beside Ronny Johnsen, Henning Berg and David May.

Not one of those names above could have managed what he did alongside those players.
This is not true at all. We barely conceded any goals when we had Vidic and Ferdinand in their primes, they are easily our best pairing we've had in the EPL era, maybe the best in our history. We conceded a shit number of goals in the treble season.

MounchesterUtd

Going with the single year peak rule:

Schmeichel
Neville Vidic Stam Cole
Beckham Toure Keane Bale
Cantona
Vardy

Icemav

Schmeichel​

Irwin Stam Rio Cole

Keane​

Scholes Bergkamp

Ronaldo Henry Robben

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Schmeichel
Zabaleta Terry Vidic Cole
Keane Lampard Vieira
Ronaldo Henry Bale

unimaginative_name

As I'm not allowed to put pictures yet, I have to make my formation using letters.

-----------------Schmeichel---------------

G. Neville------Rio--------Stam----------

---------------------------------------Irwin

----------------Carrick---------------------

Beckham----------------Scholes---------

------------Bergkamp------------Ronaldo

---------------------Henry-----------------

The right hand side of my team is a bit more defensive than the left hand side. The strength of the likes of Gary Neville and David Beckham is providing defensive discipline and perfect crosses, which is suits the likes of Ronaldo who likes to drift in from the left side. Irwin is also a bit more attacking than Gary Neville and he is better in attacking sense than either Evra or Cole while also being as good defensively.

Scholes is also naturally a bit more adventurous than Carrick, which is why he is a bit higher up the pitch. I prefer Carrick to Keane because I would like to have a deep lying play-maker who is also defensively solid. I could have picked Xabi Alonso too, but I think we Carrick was better than Alonso when they were both in the league, Alonso's best came when he was at Real.

Finally Bergkamp is my number 10 providing assists for Ronaldo and Henry.

EDIT: Felt Stam was better at the end, he replaces Vidic.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

In terms of just one season wonders Kevin Phillips had one heck of a season as well similar to Vardy. 30 goals for a pretty poor Sunderland in one season which only Suarez, Shearer, Cole and Ronaldo has topped. Nani and Valencia also had great peaks and were nearly unplayable at times even if they fell far after that point. Not deserving to be in an all time peak XI but worth a shout for the bench maybe.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm surprised majority have gone for Neville and Giggs. Neville, for me, is the very definition of 'good multiplied by time equals great'. He was never as good as Zabaleta at his best, or even Wes Brown in 2008, and that's if people can't remember Petrescu. He wasn't even as good as Bellerin last year for me.

As for Giggs, I can't see it fair to say he's had a better season than Pires when he won POTY, or Ginola when he did (surprised no mention of him), or probably a fair few others too. Maybe back in Giggs' first few years which I struggle to remember as well, but not since then, he's never really been close to being the best player in the league like the others.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As I'm not allowed to put pictures yet, I have to make my formation using letters.

-----------------Schmeichel---------------

G. Neville------Rio----------Vidic---------

---------------------------------------Irwin

----------------Carrick---------------------

Beckham----------------Scholes---------

------------Bergkamp------------Ronaldo

---------------------Henry-----------------

The right hand side of my team is a bit more defensive than the left hand side. The strength of the likes of Gary Neville and David Beckham is providing defensive discipline and perfect crosses, which is suits the likes of Ronaldo who likes to drift in from the left side. Irwin is also a bit more attacking than Gary Neville and he is better in attacking sense than either Evra or Cole while also being as good defensively.

Scholes is also naturally a bit more adventurous than Carrick, which is why he is a bit higher up the pitch. I prefer Carrick to Keane because I would like to have a deep lying play-maker who is also defensively solid. I could have picked Xabi Alonso too, but I think we Carrick was better than Alonso when they were both in the league, Alonso's best came when he was at Real.

Finally Bergkamp is my number 10 providing assists for Ronaldo and Henry.
Near enough a United best XI lol

unimaginative_name

Near enough a United best XI lol
Well what else can I do about it? :p I mean, after all, United won 13 titles out of 23(?), so even if you are trying your hardest to pick the best XI, you are kinda forced to pick United players. I tried to apply the thoughts of tactical analysis, longevity, suitability between players etc. when picking the team and ended up selecting this crop.