Best free-kick takers in the world?

Red4Life_#7

Everyone has their opinions and I'm curious to know them.

Who is the best Free Kick Taker In the World??

Currently playing the game and past free kick taker.

E.g.

Current: Dmitri Payet
Past: Juninho Pernambucano

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Juninho.

Sorry can't think of a current. They're too inconsistent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Current, depends from position. Within 25 feet of the goal, centre/centre left, Pjanic -it's almost a penalty for him

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Nakamura was pretty good.

Macca7

For me - Beckham without doubt. Not only did he score beautiful free-kicks, but important ones too. The amount of times he pulled United/England out of the shit with a free kick was unreal.

Aboutreika18

There was that period a couple of seasons ago where Willian was deadly at them and on the subject of Chelsea, Alonso also has a pretty good record from the few he's taken.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Mata's got the best record of anyone currently active in the top European leagues.

Schneckerl

Would like to see detailed stats for the last few years. No only goals and number of attempts, but also distance and position.

btw I think there is a lot of potential improvment in direct FK effectiveness

Last edited:
Pjanic, Messi, Giovinco currently. Even if Giovinco in MLS his freekicks are unreal. Scored at least four this past season

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Out of the big names Neymar's the best freekick taker in the world. Pjanic is deadly but only from a certain position, same with [Irrelevant point].

All time it's either Zico, Beckham or Juninho.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
In terms of current, it is hard to say, as there isn't one stand out player at the moment I think, but on the past my favourite was as the op mentioned Juninho Pernambucano, with Rogerio Ceni also high up in the list purely because I was fascinated by a goalie scoring goals!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Zico and Platini for short distances, Juninho/Koeman/Beckham for long ones

mynamejeff

i love how mihajlovic's training videos get brought up in threads like this

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Mata's got the best record of anyone currently active in the top European leagues.
Yep, his raw conversion stats are fairly surprising!

Anyway, for the current lot — intermediate range: Pjanić, short: Dybala
All-time — intermediate range: Juninho, short: Zico

:drool:

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
My bias = [Irrelevant point]
Non bias opinion = KDB or Eriksen

I would say KDB is dangerous at scoring from free kicks, same as Eriksen, but Eriksen puts lovely balls into the box from free kicks which create goal scoring opportunities.

Bole Top

currently - Messi.

in the past: Pierre van Hooijdonk & Marcos Assuncao.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t bad at free kicks is he?
Pretty sure only Juninho and Zico have scored more free kicks than him in football history but he's not the best in the world at them anymore.

The top players currently aren't great at them, Messi's getting mentions purely out of reputation because he isn't a great free kick taker either. I think only Neymar scores them consistently. 6 free kick goals in the past year and he wasn't the main free kick taker in Barcelona, that seems pretty great.

It's weird how there's stats for everything but then it's tough to find out the numbers for things like these. Number of attempts per goal while taking into account the position the free kick is being taken from, shouldn't be that hard.

Schneckerl

The top players currently aren't great at them, Messi's getting mentions purely out of reputation because he isn't a great free kick taker either.
Both Messi and Ronaldo have a lot of attempts. I wonder how effective Juninho, Mihajlovic etc. were in comparison.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Both Messi and Ronaldo have a lot of attempts. I wonder how effective Juninho, Mihajlovic etc. were in comparison.
I guess we'll never really know. Free kick ability is one of the few things in football that can be quite objectively backed up by the stats so it's a shame there's not a lot of stats about it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ronaldo being mentioned in this thread is boderline a joke, isn't it? He always takes them despite ballooning 95% into row Z.

Scored a cracker against David James a decade ago to be fair.

These are Premier League stats form a couple of years ago, Ronaldo's % may have improved in Spain.

Juan Mata : Shots 28, Goals 5, Conversion 17.9 (per cent)

Sebastian Larsson : Shots 90, Goals 11, Conversion 12.2.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink : Shots 62, Goals 6, Conversion 9.7.

David Beckham : Shots 54, Goals 5, Conversion 9.3.

Nolberto Solano : Shots 78, Goals 7, Conversion 9.0.

Thierry Henry : Shots 144, Goals 12, Conversion 8.3.

Danny Murphy : Shots 67, Goals 5, Conversion 7.5.

Ryan Giggs : Shots 73, Goals 5, Conversion 6.8.

Leighton Baines : Shots 76, Goals 5, Conversion 6.6.

Laurent Robert : Shots 154, Goals 10, Conversion 6.5.

Cristiano Ronaldo : Shots 164, Goals 10, Conversion 6.1.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I don't understand why Mata doesn't get to take all our freekicks from 25 meters or closer.
It's better than Pogba or Rashford shooting over.

Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos doesn't/didn't score many, just crazy goals when they actually hit.

matador

Off the top of my head I can only think of Juninho Pernambucano and Sinisa Mihajlovic. There's no one as consistent as them today.

PS: I personally love this one.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Stoichkov used to be pretty decent too.

crossy1686

career ending
Got to be Beckham for me. Don't know of anyone now who's consistently known for their set-piece prowess. It's actually depressing how much corners and free kicks are derided now in favour of playing passing football instead.

RedMessiah

Pretty sure only Juninho and Zico have scored more free kicks than him in football history but he's not the best in the world at them anymore.

The top players currently aren't great at them, Messi's getting mentions purely out of reputation because he isn't a great free kick taker either. I think only Neymar scores them consistently. 6 free kick goals in the past year and he wasn't the main free kick taker in Barcelona, that seems pretty great.

It's weird how there's stats for everything but then it's tough to find out the numbers for things like these. Number of attempts per goal while taking into account the position the free kick is being taken from, shouldn't be that hard.
Yeah, Barcelona's all time free kick top scorer, La Liga's all time free kick top scorer, Argentina's all time free kick top scorer, but no, he isn't great at them. I'm not saying he's the best ever, but some people's opinions...

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah, Barcelona's all time free kick top scorer, La Liga's all time free kick top scorer, Argentina's all time free kick top scorer, but no, he isn't great at them. I'm not saying he's the best ever, but some people's opinions...
He's getting more mentions here for best free kick taker in the world than anyone else when he doesn't really score them a lot. I said he wasn't great in that context, not that he was a bad free kick taker. Ronaldo has scored more free kicks than any other active player and he's not great at them either.