Best match you’ve ever been to?

432JuanMata

Losing 6-1 to city is a candidate for best match you've been to? Are you a masochist?
I said for goals as in a neutral fan. Was a heartbreaking day all the same. Maybe due to the fact I’ve been to so many awful matches.
Was over at Bruno debut and it was the worst match I’ve ever seen. The most impressive thing in the match was seeing how big Traore is in the flesh and being marked by Dan James :lol::lol:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Arsenal 2 United 1 2008,

May be a loss, but man it was hell of a match, even Fergie after the game said something about it being one of the best matches he'd seen.

Was a brilliant atmosphere amongst the fans too.

Also a special mention for United 3 St Ettiene 0, The Zlattrick...the Stretford End was absolutely buzzing that night, that moment when Zlatan scored the third to net his hat trick was just immense.

MadMike

For me it’s either 3-2 against Milan in 2007 or 4-3 against City in 2009. Both emotional rollercoasters. I’ve always favoured night games so if I had to pick I’d have to go Milan. I remember being in school the day after buzzing about it. Although Owen’s winner in stoppage time is easily the loudest I’ve ever heard OT.

I had a ticket for the Macheda game against Villa but didn’t go cause I was sick. That one wouldve been up there for sure.
I saw the title and came in to mention that game too. By far and away my favourite OT night. That goal by Kaka where he made the defenders butt heads was amazing and Wayne Rooney's last minute winner had us buzzing. I think I'll keep the memories of that night till my last day.

I had also bought the home shirt earlier in the megastore and unlike with many other shirts that I have thrown away since, that one I have kept to date.

Red Daz

Great thread, reading all the posts brings back great memories, for me it was England vs Portugal Euro 2004 , brilliant atmosphere , went to every England game that tournament, what a ride

philipos

I would echo this post word for word - completely agree!!

Define 'best match'.

Best overall experience was 99 CL final by a mile, but that wasn't a great match, in fact it was mostly rather unpleasant until the very end.

1984 cup winners cup 2nd leg vs Maradona's Barcelona at Old Trafford was the best atmosphere and vibe. Was walking on air for days after that.

Another beautiful occasion was the match v Blackburn at Old Trafford the night we'd just finally won the league again in 1993. The pure shining joy around the stadium was glorious.

LInkash

I haven't been to too many games but it would have to be Fulham at home 06/07 United 5 - 1 Fulham

It was the first game after the Ronaldo winking incident at the World Cup and the Fulham fans were booing him of course, but we drowned it out with our Ronaldo chants. I was sat quite near the away fans so I felt really felt us just overwhelm them.

The the match itself was amazing of course, with both Rooney and Ronaldo playing key roles in an exciting high scoring match and it seemed like nothing had happened between them over the summer. It was the first game of that successful era so that makes it extra special in hindsight.

big rons sovereign

Wimbledon at selhurst park in 93.
Spurs at WHL in 90/91ish. Gazza sent off, streakers, last minute winner. Great stuff.

Rooney's 2 worldies in the cup against boro. The only downside to that was the twat sat behind me who moaned through the entire match about it not being good enough.

3-3 against Basle. Not for the game but more for their fans. They were amazing.

Not United was PNE beating Leeds 6-4 at bellend road after being 4-2 down at half time.

Also PNE was 2-1 against QPR with them reaching the playoffs late in the game. The atmosphere as the news of results spread through the ground was incredible, With the stadium announcer asking people.not.to go on the pitch which immediately made people wanna go on the pitch.

Chabon

Weirdly, losing 3-2 to Spurs in 2012. Atmosphere in that bonkers second half was incredible.

Gazza

When we beat Spurs 3-1 at WHL in 2009. They scored first minute. Anderson equalized! His first for the club. Giggs scored a free kick. Scholes got sent off. Rooney scored on the counter. What a day.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Jill. 21 years old from Tilburg. A night I’ll always remember.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Barca and Arsenal at home in the 07/08 season stick out to me. That Hargreaves free kick against arsenal :drool:

U.N.C.L.E

100th Anniversary of Old Trafford in 2010. United v Fulham. 3-nil, Berbatov got a brace and Rooney got the third.

Was in the director’s area and after the game a couple of the lads came in and mingled. Wife got Giggs’ autograph and trust me I was watching him like a hawk around her….

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
In no particular order

- Middlesbrough in the SF of the League Cup in 1992 the ground was rocking
- Sheffield Wednesday 1993 when Bruce scored the winner
- 7 goals v Roma
- Moscow 2008
- Barcelona 1999
- Spurs 5-3 after being 0-3 down at HT
- 1999 SF at Villa Park
- Barcelona at home in 2008
- Liverpool away in the FA Youth Cup in 2011

Springfield WildCats

Looks like I was one of the lucky ones to see our game , when we won 4-2 and the atmosphere was electric, when Keane and viera had the row in the tunnel before, Highbury was an awesome ground, so close to the pitch, it was great for a spectator.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I went to the United Vs Arsneal game at old trafford, where we ended their unbeaten run. Wasn't a spectacular game, but the tension was palpable.

pacifictheme

Best atmosphere was Barca at home in the Sem Final 2nd leg in 08, a mixture of buzzing and shitting it all rolled into one game. We were on the back foot for most of the game, Scholesy scored a cracker and then we held on for the best part of the next 60-70 minutes.

The release at the end was amazing. I was still in the ground about an hour later just sat in my seat exhausted.
That barca game is the only game I've tried to get tickets for and failed, was gutted.

My favourite games though were probably:

3 2 v Leeds in 99
6 nil v Newcastle ronaldo hat trick
2 1 v City Rooney overhead kick

Gonçalo Motta

A lot of the el classicos from the Ronaldo vs Messi era in La Liga were a great watch, especially when Mourinho was at Madrid.

You had everything in those matches. Awesome atmosphere, players from both teams playing like it was the last game of their careers going all out, some great goals, aggressive gameplay and the occasional full out war.
I can't single out any particular game from head though

pacifictheme

For Goals 1-6 vs City :(
For excitement 3-2 vs Villa Macheda moment.
For pure end to end 4-4 vs Everton
Dunno how anyone can say they have good memories of that Everton game. I was there too and it was by far the worst I have ever felt leaving a ground, the day we lost the league and we knew it. Absolutely awful day.

Marcus

3-2 vs Villa as well. I was cheering my guts out. Even though we were losing I wasn't going to fly all the way from Singapore to see United lose if I could do something about it. I was already delirious when we drew level. I was mad when Macheda won it.

Tribec

Near enough all the best have been mentioned. One that hasn't was United 5 - City 0 with the Kanchelskis hat-trick, it shut them up over the 5-1 for a long long time. We've just got to go and get some sort of revenge for that game a few years back now, which will be just as sweet.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
United 3 v 1 Lpool New Year’s Day 1989 k stand. Electric atmosphere. We battered them that day. Probably the first big game, big atmosphere I experienced.

United 3 v 1 Blackburn 1993 our first league title in 26 years what a party that was.

Being at both Ronaldo debuts but particularly the first one. Coming out knowing we’d signed a player who would be regarded as one of the worlds best. What a player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Kawasaki frontale vs Nankatsu FC. Tsubasa scored the winning goal and there was an eagle or some shit like that.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
4-3 when United beat City. Class of course

MayfieldsFinest

We generally play shite when I go. Best result was 4-1 against Newcastle about 3/4 years ago.

The best atmosphere for any match was actually a rugby match when Munster beat Biarritz in the 06 Heineken Cup Final in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
4-3 when United beat City. Class of course
Yeah, I was at that one too. Quite a few where I was were already filing out. When Owen got the winner, I just remember the guy next to me smelling of sweat, fags and booze hugging me like I was his long lost son. :lol:

Another favourite was when we beat Arsenal and RVP scored in like the first few minutes. I was just getting to my seat which some pleb had decided to occupy but promptly turfed him out so ended up missing the goal. Arsenal fans were giving him some stick that game. When the game had finished someone let one rip and no word of a lie it was the most pungent fart I have have ever smelled in my life. There are no words to describe just how pungent it was. Everyone was looking around to see who owned it but the culprit was giving nothing away.

Best away support I remember were the Bilbao fans when we lost 3-2 in the Champions League. They were just above me and were immense that night.

Oh and the third tier stand is absolutely shit. Just thought I'd mention that.

Springfield WildCats

Second post on this today, I was around 7 when my dad took me on the coach to Barcelona in the early 90s when we got beat 4 nil I think, don’t remember the game, but the atmosphere was great, just one massive party after the game, the Spanish didn’t understand why all the United fans was partying after we got beat,

redmanx

Impossibe to say, but probably the most memorable was the 1999 CL Semi Final in Turin vs Juventus. That night Roy Keanne became a God, a true immortal of the game and a Manchester United Legend.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
My match was our win against Chelsea in 05, with Fletcher’s looping header. Also notable for Smith’s first foray into being a midfield hard-man :lol: That was a pretty good and close match as well.
My ears still haven’t recovered from that game, it was disgustingly loud. I remember we ended Chelsea’s ridiculous steak that day and I was so happy.

Saddy

Not the best result, but the 5-5 against West Brom for entertainment value.
Thought for a minute you were thinking of the 3-5 match v West Brom in 1978 - that was on a freezing cold day and it was a very entertaining match with Gary Bailey making some fantastic saves but still conceding 5. Cyril Regus and Laurie Cunningham were running us ragged but getting racially abused - terrible and unacceptable times !
Bryan Robson playing against us before the transfer - worth a watch on Utube highlights.

My best match for the result and electric atmosphere would still be the Barcelona 3-0 in 1984 - Robson would be a 10/10 for that match absolutely outstanding performance !

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Best games are probably for my local boys Wycombe.

FA cup quarter final 2-1 win with a 90th min Roy Essandoh winner away at a Premier league Leicester who had beaten Liverpool the week before. We'd signed the striker off an internet advert, having lost about 5 strikers in the campaign!

FA cup semi final v Liverpool, and league cup semi final 2 legs v Chelsea. Amazing double over 6 years for a lower league club.

But the peak, was probably the last game of about 7-8 years ago, heading down to Torquay, bottom of the football league, expecting to get relegated. We needed to win, and hope Bristol Rovers lost at home to some mid table outfit. We went 1-0 up early, Rovers went 1-0 down early, and we held 3-0 and had a horrible last 10mins where Rovers missed all manner of chances, for us to stay up! Amazing day.

For United I tend to remember the downers I've been to!

The Everton 4-4 giveaway. The 3-0 defeats v City and Liverpool over a couple of weeks.
But mostly that Chelsea 2-1 defeat with the offside Drogba goal. That was the first time I'd not seen us win, and was just an unreal sort of feeling.

But I was at the 4-3 Man City, Own 97th min winner game. Very relieved as I'd turned up 10mins in at 1-0 up, after being caught in traffic, hoping that wasn't the end of the scoring!

Josh 76

Thought for a minute you were thinking of the 3-5 match v West Brom in 1978 - that was on a freezing cold day and it was a very entertaining match with Gary Bailey making some fantastic saves but still conceding 5. Cyril Regus and Laurie Cunningham were running us ragged but getting racially abused - terrible and unacceptable times !
Bryan Robson playing against us before the transfer - worth a watch on Utube highlights.

My best match for the result and electric atmosphere would still be the Barcelona 3-0 in 1984 - Robson would be a 10/10 for that match absolutely outstanding performance !
That’s one match I would love to have been at.