Best pieces of transfer business of all time from the selling clubs perspective?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I was reading about the latest Coutinho rumours as he’s being shopped around again, and I still can’t believe that Liverpool got 120 million for him. That’s just insane to me. Has to be one of the best transfer deals of all time from a selling club.

So in this vein, what other great pieces of transfer business can you think of from the selling club's perspective. A little caveat: this isn’t simply bad transfers from the buying club, but bad transfers that went for a huge amount of money that was either not justified to begin with, or maybe it was but the player turned out to be a massive flop and left the selling club looking like geniuses.

And by “huge amount” it’s all relative. So while something like £20m may seem like chump change now, back in like the early 90s or whatever it would be huge. So that counts as well.

the_cliff

Maguire. He wasn't even the best cb at Leicester.

Nicolas Pepe and AWB are close.

Luke1995

Liverpool sold Torres for 50 million when it was clear he wasn't the same player from before the World Cup.

KingCavani

Maguire.

I remember thinking I was gonna have a stroke when I heard we were in from him the previous summer with a £60m valuation.

We scammed ourselves. At least the other names in that sort of price range have demonstrated world class ability or potential. The ultimate banter club signing and one the club should never live down.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Lille getting £72m for Nicolas Pepe was some going, as was Bilbao getting the same from Chelsea for Kepa.

Makes Maguire for a few million more seem like good negotiation on our part.

tomaldinho1

Maguire - at least half of the caf were unconvinced/worried and we're idiots. I still can't believe we bought him for £80m.

Otherwise it's all Barca getting fleeced, Atletico with Griezmann, Dortmund with Dembele and Pool with Coutinho.

Red Rash

Andy Carroll from Newcastle to Liverpool

Also a slightly different reason but Fellaini from Everton to United. We bought him for 27.5 million only a few weeks after we could have bought him for his 23.5m buyout clause

MUFC OK

Controversial one - RvN. Sir Alex had a big problem after he fell out with Ronaldo.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Controversial one - RvN. Sir Alex had a big problem after he fell out with Ronaldo.
He did score 64 goals in 96 apps for them, a very decent return. (In fact great numbers before the Ronaldo messi madness)

Though he only had 2 seasons worth left in him , he'd still was influential in their 2 laliga titles being the top scorer in the first one , hardly a bad business on the side of real

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mangala from Porto to City: he wasn't even Porto's best CB, and he was even used as between CB and LB at the time.

MUFC OK

He did score 64 goals in 96 apps for them, a very decent return. (In fact great numbers before the Ronaldo messi madness)

Though he only had 2 seasons worth left in him , he'd still was influential in their 2 laliga titles being the top scorer in the first one , hardly a bad business on the side of real
I was just going off the title i.e. from the selling cubs perspective. I think the fact it cleared the way for the CR7 Rooney Tevez front 3 means it was good business.

I've just remembered we got £22m for Morgan Schniederlin too..

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I was just going off the title i.e. from the selling cubs perspective. I think the fact it cleared the way for the CR7 Rooney Tevez front 3 means it was good business.

I've just remembered we got £22m for Morgan Schniederlin too..
We've got everton to thank for that , incredible really .

Also the lukaku business was great as well we sold him at almost no loss and time has proven that to be a very sound decision.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Danny Drinkwater- Leicester didn't suffer at all for his absence and they knew damn well they wouldn't when they charged £35m for him

Castia

Maguire - at least half of the caf were unconvinced/worried and we're idiots. I still can't believe we bought him for £80m.

Otherwise it's all Barca getting fleeced, Atletico with Griezmann, Dortmund with Dembele and Pool with Coutinho.
Nothing beats Kepa at Chelsea

£72m for a flop keeper who’s now a number 2

Kaos

Going back a bit, I seem to recall we fetched a decent sum for Veron when he moved to Chelsea where he ended up being largely useless.

slored1

Coutinho was a masterstroke. So were Maguire and Hazard.

Oranges038

Liverpool somehow managed to wrangle mad fees for some players

Solanke - 20m - Bournemouth
Sakho - 25m - Palace
Benteke - 28m - Palace
Ibe - 16m - Bournemouth
Ings - 22m - Southampton
Countinho - 121m - Barca

Must love seeing Palace and Bournemouth's number popping up on the phone.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I was quite pleased with 50 million for Ben White, though I think he'll prove to be worth it

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not sure why, but the first one I thought of was Iwobe from Arsenal to Everton. Didn't they pay close to £40m for him?

Ladron de redcafe

£50m in 2011. Yeah he absolutely belongs in this thread. I personally liked him but he was garbage from literally day one.
That's the one that came to mind to me as well. Staggering drop off in level almost immediately. I remember thinking it was a transition, but he never really got going.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
A couple from further in the past:

Sao Paulo sold Denilson to Real Betis for a world record fee of £21m in 1998. He never turned into a top player and Betis got relegated two years later.

Overmars from Arsenal to Barcelona for £25m in 2000. I don't know what that would be equivalent to in today's transfer market, maybe £70-80m. He flopped at Barca and Arsenal used the money to buy Pires and Lauren with plenty left over.

Kaka to Real Madrid from Milan for £56m in 2009.

Frankfurt mugged Madrid (£52m for Jović) and West Ham (£45m for Haller) in the same window. Best transfer brace from a selling club?

Quite extraordinary fees, seeing how they usually operate in a completely different universe, with their previous record sale being £8m.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I remember when we broke our transfer record to buy Chris Sutton for £10m and he proceeded to score exactly one league goals for us.. :(

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Betis & Lyon must be happy at getting £50M+ deals for Lo Celso & N'Dombele from Spurs.

In the recent past, Valencia getting £35M for Mustafi.

Dortmund getting £120M+ for Dembele.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Bebe for 8 million or whatever was a complete Mendez payoff scam imho.