Best PL goalkeepers?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kepa. He's just misunderstood
Was he all that at Bilbao before his move to England?. Weird how for the amount of money signed for him that he has not shown up to the level which is expected of him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think Pope is that good really to be honest. There is a reason why they are 4th from bottom with a GD of -12
Statistically the best goalkeeper in the league in terms of number goals saved. Burnely's entire playing style relies on him to be good to function. And he is

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Was he all that at Bilbao before his move to England?. Weird how for the amount of money signed for him that he has not shown up to the level which is expected of him.
He was not. He was a young, talented goalkeeper who put up a number of big high profile performances and made spectacular saves regularly. A potentially great goalkeeper, but not actually one. Funnily enough his replacement, Unai Simon, is probably the best spanish* goalkeeper around right now

*basque. Don't want to offend anyone!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I’m not sure they do, most managers go for top shot stoppers but some are lucky to get keepers who are also good with the ball at their feet.

I still think it’s an exaggerated requirement, especially considering keepers can pass to a defender unopposed within their own box from goal kicks now, they don’t need to be playing one touch and one-two’s with their own back line.
When teams try to press your build up it helps a ton if you have one decent footballer more at your disposal, who can use the time and space he gets as the last man to break the first pressing line compared to an old school shot stopper who can be pressured into a long ball and subsequent turnover if someone runs at him. It's hardly rocket science.

RUCK4444

When teams try to press your build up it helps a ton if you have one decent footballer more at your disposal, who can use the time and spice he gets as the last man to break the first pressing line compared to an old school shot stopper who can be pressured into a long ball and subsequent turnover if someone runs at him. It's hardly rocket science.
It helps but people talk like it’s the first requirement in a keeper, like feck is it.

We’ve been building from the back pretty easily with Dave this season and he’s hardly good with the ball at his feet.

Oranges038

Mendy's only looked good because he's succeeded what's probably been the worst signed keeper in the PL since Taibi. He's been OK otherwise, excusing the occasional wobbles he's had. Chelsea could replace Kepa with a 37 year old Ben Foster and he'd still be a substantial improvement for them.
Been few worse since him. That lad Roberto that West Ham played last year was easily one the worst pro keepers I've ever seen.

The best 5 keepers in no particular order
Alisson
Schmeichel
Pope
De Gea
Ederson

This season in terms of form for their clubs, these guys have looked good.

McCarthy
Guiata
Martinez
Areola

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It helps but people talk like it’s the first requirement in a keeper, like feck is it.

We’ve been building from the back pretty easily with Dave this season and he’s hardly good with the ball at his feet.
I think quite a few people would disagree with that statement and pressing intensity has drastically dropped off all over Europe this season anyway, because teams get exhausted by the tighter schedule.

In any case: obviously clubs will never go for a keeper that can't stop shots, but I doubt they would be too keen on someone who can't kick a ball either, as it messes a lot with your team's ability to play out the back. Not too long ago people were making the same kind of backwards looking comments about Neuer's sweeping and now that has become the norm at top clubs as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Been few worse since him. That lad Roberto that West Ham played last year was easily one the worst pro keepers I've ever seen.

The best 5 keepers in no particular order
Alisson
Schmeichel
Pope
De Gea
Ederson

This season in terms of form for their clubs, these guys have looked good.

McCarthy
Guiata
Martinez
Areola
De Gea doesn't belong in the first category anymore, he's probably not even the best gk at United these days. Lloris should, as well as Fabianski. I'm also unsure about Ederson. Brings a lot of value as sweeper and ball-player, but he's an average keeper between the sticks...

And Guaita's having a rather poor season(was great last year though!)

One goalkeeper who seems to have good press despite being largely terrible is Rui Patricio

RUCK4444

I think quite a few people would disagree with that statement and pressing intensity has drastically dropped off all over Europe this season anyway, because teams get exhausted by the tighter schedule.

In any case: obviously clubs will never go for a keeper that can't stop shots, but I doubt they would be too keen on someone who can't kick a ball either, as it messes a lot with your team's ability to play out the back. Not too long ago people were making the same kind of backwards looking comments about Neuer's sweeping and now that has become the norm at top clubs as well.
Like I say it helps but almost any keeper can play simple passes, we looked shaky against Southampton but on the whole we have consistently built from the back with relative ease.

No doubt keepers are being coached in this aspect anyway so the vast majority will be better at this in the future.

I was simply pointing out imo it shouldn’t be a primary requirement. A bit like keepers ‘owning their area’ I mean what does that even mean? Screaming needlessly at defenders just to impersonate the great Schmeichel?

It’s all relative I suppose but it becomes almost a footie cliche the way people rattle on about these required traits.

De Gea arguably doesn’t have any of these traits, passing/distribution, bossing his area, sweeper keeper. Yet he’s been outstanding for us and player of the season a crazy amount of times.
In a nutshell that sort of explains my thoughts on it.

Acole9

Outstanding
When I think of the first choice goalkeepers at all the clubs there's a pretty good bunch all in all. Many of those are solid but unspectacular.

I know people will say hang on what about Ramsdale but he looked decent at Bournemouth and if I'm not mistaken was first choice for England under 21's.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Alisson is the best allrounder. Cant see a fault in his game.
Very good keeper, but a lot of these "amazing" saves he makes are straight at him usually. I watched them v Fulham and every save Carragher said was "world class". They were right at him, didnt even need to dive for one or 2.

No doubting he is quality, but i think he is too lethargic sometimes and does concede goals he should be stopping. Worst keeper? Pickford. Comfortably. Absolute camera goalie, takes a step the wrong way in order to make a diving save. His kicking is good usually, but he is bang average. I was a GK at a half decent level, even played against Chelsea once which was surreal, and i hated keepers Pickford. Rather look good for the camera than do their job

Idxomer

It's actually amazing the number of good goalkeepers in the league right now.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
If we're talking this season rather than overall, I think Emiliano Martinez is the name that most immediately springs to mind.

Runners-up:

Karl Darlow
Ederson
Hugo Lloris
Edouard Mendy
I think he's incredibly overrated and has had quite a few dodgy moments already this season.