Best player Roy Keane or Graeme Souness?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Keane.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Surely this is some sort of honey trap to goad people into saying Souness to ban them??

I have no idea if Souness was good, I'm not 100 years old. I have to check Google to see how you spell his name for Gods sake.
It’s Sourness* :)

The way the game was in the 80s allowed players like Souness to shine. He was technically excellent but a big part of his game would not have been possible in Keane's era let alone now, and it wasn't exactly popular in the rest of Europe either. It was effectively anti-football with the backpassing and the 'tackling'. For me that makes Keane better, but Souness was the perfect player of his own time and place.

Foxbatt

I have seen both and Keane is a much better player. Souness wouldn't last 5 minutes today or during Keane's time.
On the international stage too Keane dragged an Ireland side to the WC.
Souness was a failure for Scotland. Liverpool during his time had the best team in Europe. Keane was among the best midfield players during his peak. As another OP said Souness was not even among the best in Europe.

Oldyella

Wasnt souness responsible for liverpool demise? Or was it just myth?
He was pretty much their version of Moyes I think. Passed a good side who was starting to creak with age and who's time was coming to an end, and failed to recruit suitable players to turn things around. Unlike Moyes who just dithered though, Souness recruited some shite.

Sure the Liverpool fans on here can give better details, but they mainly blame him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was pretty much their version of Moyes I think. Passed a good side who was starting to creak with age and who's time was coming to an end, and failed to recruit suitable players to turn things around. Unlike Moyes who just dithered though, Souness recruited some shite.

Sure the Liverpool fans on here can give better details, but they mainly blame him.
Ah. Thank you for the insight

POF

Neil Ruddock and Julian Dicks were his last 2 signings I believe.

That summed him up as a manager.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
2 players so alike in playing styles, attributes, and temprement. Both captains and leaders on and off the field. Both world class (in my mind anyway). Both played under 2 of the most successful British managers of all time..

Keane 12 yrs at Man Utd winning 7 PL titles, 1 CL

Souness 7 yrs at Liverpool winning 5 1st division titles, 3 European cups

A difficult one and being a red Manc myself, and trying not to be biased, I’m going to have to go for Souness.

Reason:

His technical ability was superior to Keane’s imho.
Clearly the correct answer is Robson was better than both

Champagne Football

Clearly the correct answer is Robson was better than both
I'd take Keano any day. Just covered every blade of grass. Wasn't constantly injured like Robbo.
Rooney says he was among the best ball to feet passes he played with. He was very underrated. In his prime he was winning games on his own. Towards the end of his career he wasn't the same player, but still among the best players most games. He dominated the midfield of the PL for as long as he played for Utd. Not many midfielders dominate for that length of time.
I don't think there's a central midfielder who dominated central midfield in the league as long as Keane.

freeurmind

weak willed
Lock this blasphemous thread. Souness on his best day isn't 1/100th of the player Keane was.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Too young to have seen Souness so cant really answer. He would need to have been one heck of a player however to have been better than Keane.
Souness really was one heck of a player. Brilliantly gifted and an animal as well. Much as I hate to admit it,
I would say that he was a slightly better footballer than Roy Keane.
But Keane had a better engine and was probably more influential as a player and captain.
A very close call, but because of my love for United, it would have to go to Keane.

Mick1

different generations so tough to compare. Both were among the best midfielders in their generations in different roles.

Ronaldinho vs Best would be a more interesting comparison , thought just as pointless a debate. Older players had less top competitors to compete with at the time so tended to look a little more talented than their modern counterparts.

Falcow

Souness really was one heck of a player. Brilliantly gifted and an animal as well. Much as I hate to admit it,
I would say that he was a slightly better footballer than Roy Keane.
But Keane had a better engine and was probably more influential as a player and captain.
A very close call, but because of my love for United, it would have to go to Keane.
I'll take that. Keane was very influential on and off the pitch.

Falcow

different generations so tough to compare. Both were among the best midfielders in their generations in different roles.

Ronaldinho vs Best would be a more interesting comparison , thought just as pointless a debate. Older players had less top competitors to compete with at the time so tended to look a little more talented than their modern counterparts.
Not sure that I would agree with that given that same two players have won all but 1 of the last 10 or 11 ballon dor's. Also VVD has zero competition for worlds best defender last couple of years, same with midfielders.

Maybe it has more to do with the huge exposure players get now days.

Mick1

Not sure that I would agree with that given that same two players have won all but 1 of the last 10 or 11 ballon dor's. Also VVD has zero competition for worlds best defender last couple of years, same with midfielders.

Maybe it has more to do with the huge exposure players get now days.
the overall amount of money in football means more investment is being put into the game at the grassroots level. Overall quality and competitivity is increasing. This is not disputable.

Vidic won the pfa player of the twice if memory serves. Cannavaro won the ballon d'or. Ferdinand was comfirtably was good as VVd at his peak for much longer. Rio was world class at 20. Modern defending is more about ability to start attacks, and quality in buildup than pure defending. Smalling is the absolute proof. This shift has been modern, and has yet to produce many world class defenders who still have the ability to defend. Ramos, (name italian defender from Juventus), Koulibali, Varane and Pepe in Real's title winning seasons.

VVD is a generational defenders, and was the best defender in the world over the last few years, with a slight dip over the last season, but he was never undefended.

As was also proven with Modric, Kaka imo and to an extent Ronaldo people just want a alternative to Messi, who's been the best player in the world since he stepped an a football pitch.