Best player to clone and make an XI

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Which player could clone 10 times to make an XI that would be able to compete with these best.

A player like Messi would be too short for defence whereas Ronaldo might just be versatile enough.

An all rounder like prime Yaya You're might be quite good.

Prime Roy Keane would be a bastard to play against

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ruud Gullit usually wins this debate.

Obligitary John O'Shea mention.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard, Rooney - although chances you'll also have lots of red cards.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Peak Rooney for me without any question.

Rooney

Rooney - Rooney - Rooney - Rooney
Rooney
Rooney - Rooney
Rooney ------------------- Rooney
Rooney

Bench: Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney​

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Peak Rooney for me without any question.

Rooney

Rooney - Rooney - Rooney - Rooney
Rooney
Rooney - Rooney
Rooney ------------------- Rooney
Rooney

Bench: Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney​
Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney Rooney

Aaaaahhhhh

Do ya, do ya, do ya, do ya know what you're doing to me

Jibberjabber

Supports
Liverpool
We all dream of a team of Carraghers, a team of Carraghers, a team of Carraghers...

Paul_Scholes18

I would still take Messi. Although too much quality on freekicks and probably not enough movement without the ball for the magical passes to himself to work.

Le Red

11 Zidanes would produce some mind boggling stuff.

A team of Messi’s, playing 2009-11 style, hardcore, Tiki Taka would be a nightmare to play against. 90 percent possession, pressing all over the pitch. Lots of, clinical, one touch passing and movement. With his coordination he would recover the ball effortlessly as well anytime the opposition made any kind of mistake in possession.

Last edited:

meamth

How do you take the ball from 11 physically peak Messi? The one that can dribble 4-5 players easily.

Mr Smith

11 Lingards.

On a more serious note, Harry Kane would be a good shout, he's genuinely good to outstanding at almost everything. Can even play in goal!

Albin Johansson

John O'shea. The man could keep a clean sheet as GK vs spurs, act as a stand-in RB/CB/LB in a title winning united side, dominate a midfield with Darron fecking Gibson, nutmeg Figo and lob it over Lehman any day of the week.

Reactions: Jippy

Bratt

I would’ve gone for 11 Manuel Neuers.
I think they would do pretty well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
11 Lingard's would be a funny watch.
They'll be constantly on the move while avoiding contact with the ball.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah, I did this thread a while back: Gullit or Di Stefano, but Gullit was consensus, iirc.

ariveded

James Milner, an all-rounder who can defend, attack, pass and run all game long...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Gullit, Di Stefano, Pelé, Cruyff, Matthäus. Xavi if we’re talking about the suffocating possession approach.

If I’d be forced to choose, I’d go with Gullit. I don’t think that Matthäus would be a brilliant striker and I’m not entire comfortable with the rest as center backs. Gullit, though :drool:

Gopher Brown

A team of Jesse Lingards would be very difficult to watch as they would all just make runs off the ball and leave the ball behind all the time. Kick offs would take forever.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Gullit, Di Stefano, Pelé, Cruyff, Matthäus. Xavi if we’re talking about the suffocating possession approach.

If I’d be forced to choose, I’d go with Gullit. I don’t think that Matthäus would be a brilliant striker and I’m not entire comfortable with the rest as center backs. Gullit, though :drool:
Beckenbauer started out as an attacker (outside left) with a more than decent shot on him. He went on to play as a central midfielder who posed a considerable goal threat (scored four goals for West Germany in the '66 World Cup), and then settled as the greatest allround defender of all time.

A defence of four (or five, if you want to park the old bus) Beckenbauers is scary enough - but you can add a midfield section of world class Beckenbauers to that. And then a couple of - well - probably pretty decent attackers (wingers).

11 Gullits would mean an insane attacking force, sure - but they'd be clearly behind the Beckenbauers in central midfield, and vastly (to say the least - Gullit was a decent-ish sweeper or whatever you want to call it in his older days, but hardly a world beater) inferior at the back.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think peak Rooney is the best all rounder, he was the first name that came to my mind anyway. He’s obviously a top striker, grafts our wide, had the engine and passing range to play midfield, and was known as a decent keeper as well. I can’t see past him tbh.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sárosi is another obvious candidate to mention, of course, if we're talking about versatile players.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
A player like Messi would be too short for defence whereas Ronaldo might just be versatile enough.
I do quite like the idea of seeing 9 childish Ronaldos simultaneously throwing their hands in the air when one Ronaldo dares pass the ball to another Ronaldo that isn't them.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Weird to see people mentioning a Messi XI. All you need to do to score against that team, is a corner. Or a long throw. Or a lob from anywhere on the pitch.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beckenbauer started out as an attacker (outside left) with a more than decent shot on him. He went on to play as a central midfielder who posed a considerable goal threat (scored four goals for West Germany in the '66 World Cup), and then settled as the greatest allround defender of all time.

A defence of four (or five, if you want to park the old bus) Beckenbauers is scary enough - but you can add a midfield section of world class Beckenbauers to that. And then a couple of - well - probably pretty decent attackers (wingers).

11 Gullits would mean an insane attacking force, sure - but they'd be clearly behind the Beckenbauers in central midfield, and vastly (to say the least - Gullit was a decent-ish sweeper or whatever you want to call it in his older days, but hardly a world beater) inferior at the back.
Somehow missed Der Kaiser, although I kept him in mind. Obviously he’d be a brilliant choice, quite possibly the best. The sight of 5-6 Gullits running at your defence is fecking scary though! The sheer physicality of that team.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Weird to see people mentioning a Messi XI. All you need to do to score against that team, is a corner. Or a long throw. Or a lob from anywhere on the pitch.
All while winning possession and keeping possession long enough not to concede.