Best Players Never to Win a Trophy

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
To counteract the midweek blues/the thought of having to endure international football for a weekend, thought I'd kick one off in reflective mood. Who are the best players NEVER to win a trophy? And how much of an impact does this have on their legacy?

First that comes to mind is someone I'm sure whose name will feature heavily on this forum over the summer... Harry Kane. Don't expect this to change by the end of the season either.

Others - club legend who should have achieved more - Le Tissier.

Any others?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm pretty sure that Sir Tom Finney is going to be the final answer for this thread. One of England's all-time greats (probably a member of England's All-Time XI) with 76 caps and 30 goals, twice FWA Footballer of the Year, one of the few English players to ever get knighted (Finney, Matthews, Charlton, Hurst — I think that's it if we don't include those who get it for their managerial success).

He did won the Second Division title once, but I probably wouldn't count it. Twice runner-up for the league and one-time FA Cup finalist. That Preston side was awful, judging by their only game that I've seen (the FA Cup final), and I mean properly awful, not even close to, say, Championship level.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Di Natale should've played for a bigger club. He never seemed to itch to leave Udinese. His peak seemed to kick in just after Italy won the World Cup too. He earned a few caps after 2006. If his peak started a year earlier, he'd possibly have a World Cup medal at least.

Stan Collymore's best years didn't last too long, but for 3 or 4 years he was excellent, definitely should have had more caps and trophies than he ended up with (handful of caps, no trophies).

Ramos

Bernd Schneider deserves a shout.

-81 caps for Germany
-CL runner-up
-Bundesliga runner-up twice
-WC runner-up and WC 3rd place
-DFB-Pokal runner-up twice

No trophies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beppe Signori was someone I always liked through the limited Channel 4 coverage of Serie A back in the day. He won feck all, surprisingly.
Good shout. Such an incredible player with absolutely insane numbers at his peak (he became capocannoniere twice or even thrice if memory serves me right) — playing in arguably the toughest league that ever was.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Used to like Le Tiss in the 90s but he's an insufferable gammon prick so now I'm happy he never won anything!
Covid and Brexit have not had a positive impact on him :lol:

Certainly should have achieved more on the pitch though. Would have been interesting to see him play 10 or so years later. Feel like he was a bit ahead of his time style wise for the league.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Bernd Schneider deserves a shout.

-81 caps for Germany
-CL runner-up
-Bundesliga runner-up twice
-WC runner-up and WC 3rd place
-DFB-Pokal runner-up twice

No trophies.
That's crazy - could have sworn he won something!

On a lesser note, Basturk was a part of the same Leverkusen squad that got to the CL final. Also never won anything. Retired at a pretty young age, mind.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Jonny Haynes spent two decades in English football, and did not win a trophy during this period.

Considered to be a fantastic passer.

As a fan with a below average understanding of the game, I find it interesting that most of his international caps were received when he was playing his trade in the second tier of English football. Maybe that's a testament to his quality which would be slightly relevant to your second question concerning legacy. By that, I mean he wasn't playing in the most competitive league, and yet was still introduced in the starting berth for England. Now is this a case that his qualities were recognized by Sir Walter Winterbottom to the point his standing in the game was unaffected by . Or was it relatively commonplace for players to receive caps despite playing in the 2nd division.

Now you mention Harry Kane. A player that has been playing for one club for an extensive period. It's not the most outlandish thing to say, he could be playing for one of the most competitive clubs in world football, he's certainly been desired (in the past) by the likes of Real Madrid, and Juventus. Which is why I find it somewhat pertinent that Haynes had an opportunity to join Milan:

'''I'm very happy about the salary I'm getting, it's not as much as if I'd gone to Italy but I think what I would be losing, it would be best to stay in the country with my family and friends.''

That is a quote from 1961. The 1960-61 season where Milan lost out on the league by four points, they qualified for the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. The next season they won the Serie A, and therefore qualified for the European Cup.

He also had an opportunity to join Spurs who showed interest in 1964, but he stayed in his comfort zone by staying with Fulham.

In 1961, he came third in the Ballon d'or behind Omar Sivori, and Luis Suárez

At the age of 35 he retired from English football, and as a semi-retired player he joined a league in South African where he finally won a trophy

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's crazy - could have sworn he won something!

On a lesser note, Basturk was a part of the same Leverkusen squad that got to the CL final. Also never won anything. Retired at a pretty young age, mind.
Nobody who plays for Leverkusen wins anything. Hence the Neverkusen or Vizekusen monikers.

I wanted to post Marco Reus but he actually won a DFB Pokal (German Cup).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Julen Guerrero never won anything in his life either.

Delle Alli.

Jermaine Pennant (community shields don't count).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Gaizka Mendieta played for the Valencia, Lazio and Barcelona, was the best player for a team that made consecutive CL finals and all he won was Copa del Rey and English league Cup.

Joaquin won two Copa del reys.

Hughes35

Tom Finney, Kane and Le Tiss are the 3 biggest ones really...... Big question is if Kane will change that before he retires.

Greatest player to not win the Prem is Probably Gerrard.....

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Apparently Socrates only ever won regional trophies. He never won a national or international trophy.

Way before my time, but obviously someone I'm aware of and his videos are absolutely class to watch. Cult football hero, mad he didn't win anything of note.

Still, worth enjoying.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Aritz Aduriz is in a similar vein to Di Natale, blossoming into a deadlier striker in his 30s. At least Aduriz has a Super Cup to show for it if that counts. Other Bilbao names like Etxeberria don't even have that.