Best WC Man Utd player

Red_Nor

If a Manchester United player were to become the best player of WC2014, who would you place your money on? Or which United player would be the man on everyones lips when its all over?

Because of his international form, I believe Van Persie as his team has what it takes to go far. Mata might also have a chance.

Brinky

RvP is the obvious favorite here.

Hopefully Rooney can prove all the current doubters wrong with a strong performance.

KishanS

I really hope Rooney does good for England, as it will boost him, England and Man Utd.

But I think Van Persie.

Bloedrood

Can't say I agree on Van Persie simply because our national team don't have what it takes to go far. This is the worst team we've had in the past 30 or so years. But ofcourse on an individual level he does have what it takes.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Can't say I agree on Van Persie simply because our national team don't have what it takes to go far. This is the worst team we've had in the past 30 or so years. But ofcourse on an individual level he does have what it takes.
Agreed. Can't believe all those people saying we have a good squad and suggesting Man Utd should buy some of those players. The Dutch squad is ridiculously weak, indeed the worst squad in 20-30 years. We can go progress far because we are Holland, we can surprise. But a first round exit wouldn't be a surprise, that would be a normal result with this squad.

But foreign people seem to make the mistake that these players must be good because they're in the Dutch squad. That sadly isn't true. They are there because we have no better options available. This is a very mediocre squad. Only because we have Sneijder, Robben and Van Persie up front we might be able to do something in this tournament.

To go back on topic: this is a difficult one. Rooney isn't likely to get far into this tournament, Mata isn't likely to be a starter I believe. Maybe Januzaj. It probably won't be a Manchester United player though.

Reactions: Eboue

Red_Nor

Agreed. Can't believe all those people saying we have a good squad and suggesting Man Utd should buy some of those players. The Dutch squad is ridiculously weak, indeed the worst squad in 20-30 years. We can go progress far because we are Holland, we can surprise. But a first round exit wouldn't be a surprise, that would be a normal result with this squad.

But foreign people seem to make the mistake that these players must be good because they're in the Dutch squad. That sadly isn't true. They are there because we have no better options available. This is a very mediocre squad. Only because we have Sneijder, Robben and Van Persie up front we might be able to do something in this tournament.

To go back on topic: this is a difficult one. Rooney isn't likely to get far into this tournament, Mata isn't likely to be a starter I believe. Maybe Januzaj. It probably won't be a Manchester United player though.
Interesting and glad you said this :P My perception was that Netherlands had an awesome team. Is this due to defensive problems? Surely your offense is strong?

Zes

People in The Netherlands have become far too negative about the national team, and consensus is now that we're completely shit and loads of people seem to think Chile are far better than us now. I disagree. The backline is too inexperienced, that's true, but Cillesen is a really decent keeper, there's a reason he's keeping Krul and Vorm on the bench (most likely) and if 2 or 3 of the relatively unknown but definitely talented players have a bit of a breakout tournament (almost all seem ready for a step to a better league) then I think combined with the obvious class in front of them and the very solid N de Jong, anything can happen. Then again, not losing to Spain is essential as I don't really see anybody beating Brazil in the second round, and that's not an easy task for any team.

Sorry, I didn't answer the thread topic yet. I hope for you guys Wayne Rooney can finally do it in a world cup, and feel England might well surprise! Think Uruguay are very overrated by many.

Reactions: Penna

jlecesne

Kagawa. I think Japan can get out of their group.
I agree, Kagawa may not be the best United player at the World Cup but I think he could be the one United player that really "breaks out" and proves himself on the international stage.

Reactions: jojojo

_John_Doe_

Agree with the posts about Shinji, Japan have a surprising good team that play a really attractive style of football plus they're in a relatively weak group. If they were able to finish top they could end up facing us tho, so I'd hope his good form would be limited to the group stages.

Stadjer

Interesting and glad you said this :P My perception was that Netherlands had an awesome team. Is this due to defensive problems? Surely your offense is strong?
We lack a proper defence, one of the reasons why Louis van Gaal abandoned the 4-3-3 system. We have three central defenders, Ron Vlaar is at most a decent Premier league player but is very slow. Bruno Martens indi is young but was even benched at Feyenoord this season for playing poorly. Last year Stefan de Vrij was getting a lot of critique because he played like shit... luckely he improved and plays very well now (He is rumored to go to Lazio but if he maintained his current form at the WC a bigger club could come for him). Our backs are Daley Blind, who is very slow and just not a top player. At rightback we have Darryl Janmaat, he is by far the best RB in the Eredivisie but there lies our biggest problem. We play with Eredivisie defenders and the quality of the Eredivisie has dropped enormously over the past years. Our defenders have no experience against proper attackers.. now they have to face some Spanish superstar, Alexis Sanchez, Vargas or even Cahill. It could go horribly wrong....

We have some very good attacking players with Robben, RVP and Sneijder if he is fit. Nigel de Jong is a good DM, unfortunalty we have to miss Strootman and he is going to replaced by average Premier league player Jonathan de Guzman.

RVP always gets a lot of critique in the Netherland for 'not performing' and people say Huntelaar should play instead.. Robben and Sneijder just aren't his type of players. They shoot when they have a chance to shoot even if some other player is in a better position. This is in constranst with RVP is the ultimate teamplayer. Because of this i don't think RVP will play at his very best. Maybe Kagawa will be the best United WC player, Mata is only a subsitute for Spain and so i Januzaj for Belgium. Not really much other choices with Jones and Smalling being defenders in a weak England team, Valencia not a very special player. The chances of Rooney playing a great tournament aren't great either.

Reactions: Interval

Bloedrood

RVP always gets a lot of critique in the Netherland for 'not performing' and people say Huntelaar should play instead.. Robben and Sneijder just aren't his type of players. They shoot when they have a chance to shoot even if some other player is in a better position. This is in constranst with RVP is the ultimate teamplayer. Because of this i don't think RVP will play at his very best. Maybe Kagawa will be the best United WC player, Mata is only a subsitute for Spain and so i Januzaj for Belgium. Not really much other choices with Jones and Smalling being defenders in a weak England team, Valencia not a very special player. The chances of Rooney playing a great tournament aren't great either.
This isn't true anymore under Van Gaal in my opinion. Van Persie played great in qualification games, scored 11 goals. And he's looked great. Much better than under Van Marwijk. He's been a different player for our national team these last few years, and he's captain now, oozes confidence. He's been playing well with Robben too, and Sneijder has never been very selfish if you ask me, often looks for the pass. I certainly haven't heard anybody saying Huntelaar should play instead of Robin for a long time.

Last edited:

Stadjer

This isn't true anymore under Van Gaal in my opinion. Van Persie played great in qualification games, scored 11 goals. And he's looked great. Much better than under Van Marwijk. He's been a different player for our national team these last few years, and he's captain now, oozes confidence. He's been playing well with Robben too, and Sneijder has never been very selfish if you ask me, often looks for the pass. I certainly haven't heard anybody saying Huntelaar should play instead of Robin for a long time.
Sneijder didnt play much qualification games though and i believe Robben only played 6 because of injuries. I agree that he is playing better with LVG as a manager but if you read some Dutch sites (voetbalzone for example) there will always be people who want Huntelaar. Luckely Huntelaar isnt playing because he isnt half the player RVP is.

I do think Sneijder is selfish though, he has great passing but also he great shot. When he has the choice to pass or shoot, he will shoot. Robben has always been a a selfish player, great ability but he just doesnt see his teammates anymore when he starts to do his cutting inside from the right + shooting action. Even Bayern players are annoyed with him sometimes.

I just dont think he will shine at the WC because of his teammates. Even players like Messi or Ronaldo cant shine in a bad/avarage team. Only Maradona could.

JefferiesTube

I hope the United players who a lot of the fans hate have strong World Cups. Players like Rooney, Fellaini, Nani, Valencia, Smalling .... the list is quite long so I'll just stop there.

Golden boys like van Persie, Januzaj, de Gea, Kagawa I not that fussed about because they will still be supported by most next season regardless of how they perform.

jason93

RVP will have a good World Cup. I fancy Chicharito and Fellaini to be good for their countries aswell. Kagawa scored a good goal during the week and I think Japan will surprise a lot of people.

As for England... they won't do anything. Barkley/Sterling/Sturridge will probably turn a few heads though.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
We lack a proper defence, one of the reasons why Louis van Gaal abandoned the 4-3-3 system. We have three central defenders, Ron Vlaar is at most a decent Premier league player but is very slow. Bruno Martens indi is young but was even benched at Feyenoord this season for playing poorly. Last year Stefan de Vrij was getting a lot of critique because he played like shit... luckely he improved and plays very well now (He is rumored to go to Lazio but if he maintained his current form at the WC a bigger club could come for him). Our backs are Daley Blind, who is very slow and just not a top player. At rightback we have Darryl Janmaat, he is by far the best RB in the Eredivisie but there lies our biggest problem. We play with Eredivisie defenders and the quality of the Eredivisie has dropped enormously over the past years. Our defenders have no experience against proper attackers.. now they have to face some Spanish superstar, Alexis Sanchez, Vargas or even Cahill. It could go horribly wrong....

We have some very good attacking players with Robben, RVP and Sneijder if he is fit. Nigel de Jong is a good DM, unfortunalty we have to miss Strootman and he is going to replaced by average Premier league player Jonathan de Guzman.

I don't agree with you. I agree RVP is better than Huntelaar and I agree even that RVP would do better with a player like VDV behind him. But we can't put RVP's failure in Oranje just on that. He's just average himself most of the time. I think it's also because he simply isn't thát good.

Van Persie is the type of player to be decisive when you're better than the opponent. Then he will get the ball around the box often and he will score goals cause that's what he does. And he can/will score brilliant goals as well. The problem with RVP is, when his team is not the better team, he disappears out of the match. RVP is not the type of player to be decisive when his team is not in control of the match.

That's why IMO Robben and Sneijder are far more importnat to Holland. Sneijder can have a shit game, being invisible for 80 minutes whilst his team is having a difficult time. But in those games Sneijder can still have that killer pass once or twice a match to decide the match in his teams favor. Robben can still have his decisive dribble or shot into the far corner to win the match. RVP will be totally useless. That's why Robben and Sneijder are better, more important players in my opinion. But I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully RVP will finally show his qualities in the NT, but I'm not counting on it.

Amira

I hope the United players who a lot of the fans hate have strong World Cups. Players like Rooney, Fellaini, Nani, Valencia, Smalling .... the list is quite long so I'll just stop there.

Golden boys like van Persie, Januzaj, de Gea, Kagawa I not that fussed about because they will still be supported by most next season regardless of how they perform.
Great Logic. Don't care about the performances of our Best Striker our best young player our Best goalkeeper and well Kagawa.

lucky7

Kagawa. I think Japan can get out of their group.
Yes him and RVP are both good players + they have a good teams around them. I expect both of them to shine, but most of all i hope they don't get injured.

Momochiru

Football is a team sport - it's important for the whole team to play well and do well for the United player in that team to be considered the best at the WC. Except for Mata and DDG who will barely get any playtime, we don't have any player in the 4 favorites to reach the final (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain). Our players are concentrated in teams that could be described as 'dark horses' at best. If any of those 'dark horses' does very well, chances are that our player in that team will be the best United player in the WC. It's anybody's guess which of 'dark horses' will do well - England, Belgium, Holland, Japan, France, Mexico and Portugal could all do it; Ecuador are less likely.

Then there is the issue of getting enough playtime - only Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Evra, Valencia, Nani and probably Fellaini could be considered first choice for their national team.

Obviously Rooney, RVP and Kagawa are the most popular choices, I would add Evra to that list too.

But I would bet on the darkest of all dark horses - Nani... I bet not many would expect Nani after the terrible season he had, but consider this:

1. Portugal with Ronaldo have a very good chance to progress very far - they have done very well in the last couple WCs or ECs.
2. Nani is pretty much guaranteed to play every minute unless injured.
3. He didn't play the grueling 50-60 games this year like the rest - he will be much fresher.
4. He has a good understanding with Ronaldo, so he is very likely to assist or score at least a couple goals - probably some important ones in the later stages.
5. Portugal will have much more support, than any other team except Brazil; with all the ties between Brazil and Portugal it's going to be the closest as it gets to playing at home for them.
6. Climate is going to be less of an issue for Portugal, than for most of the other European countries.
7. After the season he had he will be really hungry to prove himself.
8. Last but not least - playing alongside a great player like Ronaldo is going to help him lift his game and put some gloss on his performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

RedTiger

Half mast
I really can't see beyond Van Persie and Shinji Kagawa, of all the teams with united players Holland and Japan have the best chance to go far.

P.S
The players I really really want to see do well is Valencia because of him captaining his nation in their home continent and Fellaini just to prove to everyone he CAN actually play midfield. Shame Bebe didn't make the squad...

swissgenius

Please correct me if I'm wrong on some, since I don't follow every country very closely.

starters: Fellaini, RvP, Rooney, Nani, Hernandez, Valencia, Kagawa, Evra
50/50: Januzaj, Welbeck
subs: Smalling, Mata
unused subs: De Gea, Jones

I'm not sure if both Chicharito and Fellaini are locks, and also who Hodgson prefers between Jones and Smalling

Last edited:

penalty snot

I think Kagawa will do really well. I am a big fan of his work and I think he's in his element when playing with Japan. I'll be rooting for them as underdogs. I appreciate their courage and determination on the pitch, something that I wish I could say the same about for England, but that's another story for another thread...

ants7

I'd expect good performances from Kagawa and RVP for their countries.
Even though I'm not a big fan of Rooney, I hope he'll do well and carry the form on to the new season.
Very excited for Januzaj and hopefully De Gea and Mata will get their chance.

Paulleigh

Hope RVP doesnt do that well as I would personally like LVG back at UTD as soon as possible !!!!!!!! RVP can then be on fire playing for us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BristolRuss

I think Adnan will have a good tournament, and being on the World stage will make his profile explode. Prepare for a summer of every big club being linked with him. Can't see him going though.

As for the very best performer? Probably Van Persie. He's ingrained well into the Dutch team. England still don't seem to be able to get the best out of Wayne and I can see him having another poor tournament.

berbasloth4

Football is a team sport - it's important for the whole team to play well and do well for the United player in that team to be considered the best at the WC. Except for Mata and DDG who will barely get any playtime, we don't have any player in the 4 favorites to reach the final (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain). Our players are concentrated in teams that could be described as 'dark horses' at best. If any of those 'dark horses' does very well, chances are that our player in that team will be the best United player in the WC. It's anybody's guess which of 'dark horses' will do well - England, Belgium, Holland, Japan, France, Mexico and Portugal could all do it; Ecuador are less likely.

Then there is the issue of getting enough playtime - only Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Evra, Valencia, Nani and probably Fellaini could be considered first choice for their national team.

Obviously Rooney, RVP and Kagawa are the most popular choices, I would add Evra to that list too.

But I would bet on the darkest of all dark horses - Nani... I bet not many would expect Nani after the terrible season he had, but consider this:

1. Portugal with Ronaldo have a very good chance to progress very far - they have done very well in the last couple WCs or ECs.
2. Nani is pretty much guaranteed to play every minute unless injured.
3. He didn't play the grueling 50-60 games this year like the rest - he will be much fresher.
4. He has a good understanding with Ronaldo, so he is very likely to assist or score at least a couple goals - probably some important ones in the later stages.
5. Portugal will have much more support, than any other team except Brazil; with all the ties between Brazil and Portugal it's going to be the closest as it gets to playing at home for them.
6. Climate is going to be less of an issue for Portugal, than for most of the other European countries.
7. After the season he had he will be really hungry to prove himself.
8. Last but not least - playing alongside a great player like Ronaldo is going to help him lift his game and put some gloss on his performance.
very much agree..

9. he will also be looking to prove to van gaal he has what it takes to be part of the squad as well..

luke511

RVP, Kagawa and Hernandez will be our standout players, clubs will be fighting for Hernandez by the end of it I reckon!

Cina

Might be a good idea to put this in the WC forum.

Kazi

Kagawa - can see him getting loads of goals and assists in the group stage alone.

LetMeRollIt

Agree with the posts about Shinji, Japan have a surprising good team that play a really attractive style of football plus they're in a relatively weak group. If they were able to finish top they could end up facing us tho, so I'd hope his good form would be limited to the group stages.
Don't worry we (Japan) won't finish top.

I hope Rooney gets time and does well.

mark.najjar

Couldn't find any other thread for United players at the World Cup. Doing well in the scoring section I guess

RVP 3 goals
Rooney 1 goal
Chicharito 1 Goal
Mata 1 Goal
Nani 1 Goal
Fellaini 1 Goal

8 goals - 6 players

any other club with such a tally ?

I guess Bayern have 9 goals from 4 players right ?