Better european super league idea

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Why not just have a European league with promotion/relegation much like the national league divides up down into north/south? The league could even extend into different levels, so for example euro league 1, euro league 2 etc and clubs qualify through their domestic leagues. So for example, the top 4 instead of getting CL spots would get euro league 2 promotion spots where they could do a play off against the lowest teams in that division from the last season and top 4 from other leagues to see who gets promoted into the league.

Also since most refs are fat, there would be two on field referees in this competition and goals would have square goal posts, to prevent lucky rebounds.

SwedishFish

Why not just have a European league with promotion/relegation much like the national league divides up down into north/south? The league could even extend into different levels, so for example euro league 1, euro league 2 etc and clubs qualify through their domestic leagues. So for example, the top 4 instead of getting CL spots would get euro league 2 promotion spots where they could do a play off against the lowest teams in that division from the last season and top 4 from other leagues to see who gets promoted into the league.

Also since most refs are fat, there would be two on field referees in this competition and goals would have square goal posts, to prevent lucky rebounds.
The Super League is a means of securing media rights and money for the founding clubs. Creating revenue by having high-profile games. If that goes then so does the whole purpose of the league.

OleBoiii

I think it should be split into 3 leagues: Euro League England, Euro League Spain and Euro League Italy. The best teams from each league will meet in a different tournament for champions. I call it: The Winners League. There will be an opera anthem that ends like: "The Wiiiiiiiiinners" *du-du-du-du-duuu*

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've been trying to implement a rule where if a player get's two yellows in a game, he has to play the next 15 minutes with his laces tied together. Can that happen in this new league?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ve got one. Line all the greedy feckers up and let the fans pelt rotten vegetables at them, rip up season tickets and don’t spend 1 more cent on them. See how their profits goes then

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I said before, but I would be all in favour of a super league with promotion/relegation from the domestic leagues.

Just make every team have a playoff against the top finishing domestic teams from their country. Guaranteed spot for last years winner and the CL winner, and guaranteed relegation for the bottom two. Would be quality.

The proposed idea is obviously just greed and anti competition.

Ajr

I said before, but I would be all in favour of a super league with promotion/relegation from the domestic leagues.

Just make every team have a playoff against the top finishing domestic teams from their country. Guaranteed spot for last years winner and the CL winner, and guaranteed relegation for the bottom two. Would be quality.

The proposed idea is obviously just greed and anti competition.
The thing is, with my idea all of the clubs in the new league are going to be pretty much guaranteed to be in it. Also, they could have a drone referee calling offsides.

padr81

Supports
Man City

That would involve a fairer share of money and nobody wants that.

Gasolin

I am so against that league idea but if it has to work, I would think of something like that.

Let's imagine there are 12 clubs first (6 from the EPL, 3 from La Liga and 3 from Serie A) and 5 clubs that are invited, basically the champions of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

The league has a full standing or whatever means they have to know who's champion, but they also have subleagues (or conference as the Americans would call it) by geographical regions.
In the case of the EPL, given the current standing of the league, that would be:

Manchester City
Manchester United
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Leicester

We basically invite the first team that is not part of the ESL yet.

When the league part is over, let's imagine that this is the final standing within the conference.

Manchester United
Manchester City
Chelsea
Leicester
Spurs
Arsenal

In this case, Arsenal is "relegated". But for Arsenal to be able to come back in the ESL, they need to be champion of the EPL, or at least, be the first team ranked within it. Imagining all English 6 teams in the ESL are doing very well, it means being 7th so it's a bit ridiculous, but why not.

That works out better however if the ESL completely detach itself from all leagues and ask only champions to be allowed to join, and then in this case, Arsenal would have to win the league fair and square to be able to come back.'

That also means that this is not really an European competition, but rather a 5 super leagues competition.

The other side they need to fix is really the money share. They cannot give 300m or so just for participating, and 30m for winning it. It needs to be the other way around, 30m for participation, and 300m when winning it. Then, winning will still be meaningful for those clubs.

RedTiger

Half mast
The only way I see this working is for a closed 16 team tournament split into 4 groups of 4. Home and away games with the top 2 going into a 2 legged knockout with 1 final game.

That gives a maximum of 11 games. If the super league begins in the last week of July, the teams could play a few games instead of pre-season friendlies and all 16 clubs could still partake in domestic and uefa competitions at the same time.

Basically an official version of the crappy International Champions Cup.

red4ever 79

Because then it means the owners have to commit to a certain amount of investment to remain competitive in the league. Why cant people see what they are doing. Building an untouchable franchise where it doesnt matter how bad the 15 clubs perform they will be there year in year out

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

The American owners have succeeded in doing what they wanted all along: Commit the biggest teams in football to becoming franchises, instead of football clubs.

It's a completely American model, and you, and I, and everyone else are letting Joel Glazer and his cronies get away with it.

Gasolin

The American owners have succeeded in doing what they wanted all along: Commit the biggest teams in football to becoming franchises, instead of football clubs.

It's a completely American model, and you, and I, and everyone else are letting Joel Glazer and his cronies get away with it.
Agreed, this needs to be smashed down. Hopefully.

Revan

Assumptionman
Here is my proposal (I spent a grand total of 2 minutes thinking about it).

2 groups of 10 clubs (Europe is small so no need for geographic divisions). Teams play every other team twice. From each group, clubs 1-2 get to playoffs, clubs 3-6 play in a mini-playoff, to qualify for the main playoff, clubs 7-10 play in a playout, with the two losers being relegated). The playoff is done in a best of three matches, with the higher ranking team having the home advantage in the third match. No draws in the playoffs. Every team has to play for something, and the home advantage matters.

So 4 teams relegated to a similar European Superleague 2 (though the groups are bigger, or there are four groups with the champions of each group getting qualified for the main league). The teams relegated there are replaced by teams from European champions who are not in either of the competition, based on a playoff scheme.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Contract top flight domestic leagues to 16 teams. Expand CL to 48. 8 groups of 6, followed by 8 groups of 4, then 4 knockout rounds

Qualification through nationals leagues, EL(4 semifinalists) and the new europa conference of whatever(winner)

Keep one domestic cup per FA

cyberman

Super League as it is but its put on ice for 3 years. The first team below the number 1 FF (jesus) gets in each season from top 4 leagues. Then its league format with the top half going on to championship playoffs. The worst placed team from each country goes into a tie v the winner of the league from their own country for the SL spot. It means theres never a dead game in SL and still has a competitive balance.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The only thing worse than the Super League is some of these ideas :lol:

Ajr

Of course I'm letting them get away with it, what am I going to do to stop them?

Gandalf

The likely compromise if one is reached will be to guarantee the12 ESL founders an equal share in CL revenue even during those seasons that they do not qualify. The main motivation behind this is to guarantee a fixed revenue stream and they are unlikely to back down unless they get it.