Better goalkeeper: Barthez or Lloris?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Who's better? Barthez by a mile or is Lloris better?

Both are decent but also have that clumsiness in them.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Lloris. Barthez could make an unreal save and then let in something a bigger stronger and less talented keeper would easily push wide.
Yeah, this is pretty much it.

I loved him at the time, and he made some spectacular saves, but Barthez simply didn't fill enough of the goal.

Even that famous save from Hamann at Anfield was actually nowhere near the corner and was only made to look so good because of the extra work Barthez had to do to get there vs. a van der Sar-sized keeper who could have simply stepped across and tipped it over.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Lloris has been more consistent, if not for the United spell I would of chosen Barthez

Thiagoal

I’m not sure but will always remember Barthez for trying to dupe Di Canio - and failing

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lloris. Barthez could make an unreal save and then let in something a bigger stronger and less talented keeper would easily push wide.
Agreed. I think Barthez only really managed to compensate for his lack of size when he was at his physical peak in the mid-90s, but he spent too much of his career making mistakes or looking small.

Remember the geese

I think Barthez had a higher peak. It was relatively short lived, but there was a time where I think he was legitimately one of the best in the world. Lloris has made a few gaffes himself over the years, but seems a more reserved personality and generally a more consistent performer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think that's a pretty easy call. If given the choice to sign either now, and they'd be at the same age, no question it would be Lloris. Neither is good enough though, much like our current goal keepers.

Gopher Brown

Lloris.

Barthez thought he was a superstar, and could get away with anything. This lead him to make some great saves, but also made him horrendously flakey at times, which for a goalkeeper is dangerous.

Barthez. Until he joined us he was considered top class. Or to put it another way, we as the all conquering SAF Manchester United signed him to replace our greatest ever goalkeeper. We would never sign a keeper as good as Lloris now, let alone back then.

RedKnight88

I think Barthez had a higher peak. It was relatively short lived, but there was a time where I think he was legitimately one of the best in the world. Lloris has made a few gaffes himself over the years, but seems a more reserved personality and generally a more consistent performer.
I don't care what anyone says. For a while Barthez was the BEST goalkeeper for a little while.I was happy when we bought him. The high expectations we had for him is what makes people underate him.

Remember the geese

I don't care what anyone says. For a while Barthez was the BEST goalkeeper for a little while.I was happy when we bought him. The high expectations we had for him is what makes people underate him.
Yeah I can get on board with this. I remember around the time of France 98, I loved the idea of us bringing him in as a Schmeichel replacement. I was at an impressionable age, but I don't think it is a case of rose-coloured glasses. He had an aura and flamboyance about him that made him an exciting potential signing and his performances genuinely backed that up at the time.

FujiVice

At his best Barthez. You can never judge him on the years where he got into racing cars and smoking fags compared and just stopped giving a shit to his prime years. He was so fecking good. Maybe the only player Ferguson ever bought where he came here with a trophy cabnet bigger than anyone in the squad.

Barthez would be incredible in 2021. His footwork was sensational.

Oranges038

Both French
Both left footed
Both very erratic
Both won the World Cup
Both won farmers trophies in France

Barthez won the European Cup
Barthez won the Premier League
Barthez won the Yashin award at the WC in 1998
Barthez was best GK in the world in 2000
Barthez is totally crazy

Lloris has better hair
Lloris plays for Spuds

In summary, Barthez was/is better.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Quite similar in that they both let in some serious gaffes.

Id go Barthez but don’t think there’s much in it either way.

dinostar77

Lloris, Barthez would make you nervy with his stupid antics, dragbacks etc. Just be a keeper son.

Number32

Barthez could be the best goalkeeper in his generation if he had patient to stays near the goal line. (He did that with france though).

It seems like he was boring to death staying in goal week in week out for us, then made a lot of gamble moves away from the goal. Sadly, some of these moves cost us important games against Arsenal, Leverkusen, and Real Madrid.

But if Lloris was available at the time, I would picked him over Barthez.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Barthez. Until he joined us he was considered top class. Or to put it another way, we as the all conquering SAF Manchester United signed him to replace our greatest ever goalkeeper. We would never sign a keeper as good as Lloris now, let alone back then.
Yeah, that’s how I remember Barthez. One of the very best goalkeepers around. Even though he turned out to be not as good as we’d hoped. Lloris is just average.

GueRed

At his best Barthez. You can never judge him on the years where he got into racing cars and smoking fags compared and just stopped giving a shit to his prime years. He was so fecking good. Maybe the only player Ferguson ever bought where he came here with a trophy cabnet bigger than anyone in the squad.

Barthez would be incredible in 2021. His footwork was sensational.
100%. would excel in today's game.

shame he lost it in his second season with us and totally fell off.

dinostar77

Barthez was an overated clown. Loris is a alcoholic. Swings and roundabouts.

breath

Barthez preferred playing for France than he ever did for United. Lloris wasn't even better than Landreau_ France won 2028 world cup inspite of him.. gave away a karius goal to Mandzukic

Wilt

Barthez or Lloris? ….don’t really care.

More curious as to how the feck did a bald headed coot who looks like Donald Pleasence manage to get off with Linda Evangelista ???

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Barthez preferred playing for France than he ever did for United. Lloris wasn't even better than Landreau_ France won 2028 world cup inspite of him.. gave away a karius goal to Mandzukic
Found the caf time traveller.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't remember if Barthez was particularly error prone, but my lasting memory of him are his high profile errors.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Barthez has won more, but I would argue if you put Lloris in Barthez's teams, he would have won just as much as I believe he is a better goalkeeper, even if it's marginal. I think the main two things Barthez had over Lloris was his footwork and distribution whether by foot/hand, sometimes his more wild nature allowed him to do things defensively Lloris might not, but the latter is not necessarily an example of better keeping. Everything else I think is either matched or bested by Lloris.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Barthez was the better keeper at Toulouse, Marseille and Monaco, he was asked to play at a higher level for the latters. I think that Barthez was a better shot stopper and had the ability to make similar mistakes. As a kid I prefered Bernard Lama who was as crazy as Barthez.

Suedesi

I think both played better for France than their respective clubs in England (no clue how good Barthez was at Monaco for example other than a few matches I'd see here and there).

Barthez was a better keeper on account of pulling Linda Evangelista ;)

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What are you talking about, Lloris had a great world cup with some VERY important saves. The only mistake he made was against Croatia when France was leading 4-1.

mister_olumide

Supports
tottenham
I don’t think Lloris ever put in a man of the match performance. At least I don’t remember any.
For a position that is supposed to be the last line of defense, Lloris does a basically average job at it.
I don’t remember him making a save that I’d have thought any other random goalie wouldn’t save.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They're both absolute donkeys who from time to time can/could pull of a wonder save.
I'll never forget the shit Barthez was doing all the howlers, poor decision making,..
Barthez, Brown, Blanc and Silvestre
The Keystone cops. There wasn't a week one of them made a howler