Big Summer Clearout - Is it Going to Happen?

Godfather

Lingard, Young, Darmian, Pereira, Jones are a must. Mata and Matic I'd have no problems with leaving as well. Sadly, out of those only Darmian looks like leaving. Instead we seem to lose the likes of Pogba and De Gea.

sp_107

Could someone please kindly explain, Why the managers and Board are so dumb to keep Young,Darmian,Rojo,Jones,Mata(5) all these years and now Sanchez, Matic, Lukaku, Fred, Baily, Perrera, Lingard(7) as its clearly not working with them. So many times in last year we needed some quality and none in this list has delivered, total 12 of them at club just milking money.

If the board cant see this then they shouldn't be in charge. Even my granny gets irritated with Young and Matic.

What's wrong in hitting a reset button for once and build a new team rather consistently annoying fans all over the world by playing same set of players failing to delver every year?

MrSingh2002

No, Ole's not the guy to do that. Mourinho was and we didn't back him.

I can see Ole making good signings in young players but is that because its the best thing for United or because it's easier for him to manage them over big stars?

It's a big window for Ole and a big 6 months full stop. Let's see what he's got when he's at the wheel for real.

AJ10

I can see Ole making good signings in young players but is that because its the best thing for United or because it's easier for him to manage them over big stars?

It's a big window for Ole and a big 6 months full stop. Let's see what he's got when he's at the wheel for real.
Had many windows to get rid of players and improve our squad but the usual suspects started nearly every game and he bought lot of crap players. If he was backed then we would have 2 average old wingers (he wanted young to play 50 games this season) and potentially more crap players but yeah......:lol: Poor guy.

sugar_kane

Not sure why people are obsessed with getting rid of certain players.

They will only leave if someone wants them or their contact is running down, if not we just live with the fact we're paying their wages - it doesn't mean they will play week in week out.

I notice a post above saying that Pereira is someone we 'must' get rid of - what the feck? Barring the fact he has had barely a full season with us (considering Mourinho never gave him a proper chance) what harm is it doing keeping a young player like that around?

I swear it's a status thing for most people. Either that or half our fans think they're playing Ultimate Team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

They will only leave if someone wants them or their contact is running down, if not we just live with the fact we're paying their wages - it doesn't mean they will play week in week out.

I notice a post above saying that Pereira is someone we 'must' get rid of - what the feck? Barring the fact he has had barely a full season with us (considering Mourinho never gave him a proper chance) what harm is it doing keeping a young player like that around?

I swear it's a status thing for most people. Either that or half our fans think they're playing Ultimate Team.
Isn't it a bit of a worry that nobody wants those certain players?

mattunited1978

doommonger
Problem is, some of the rubbish had contracts that were winding down and we decided to renew them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The more you load your squad up with mediocrity, the lower the overall standards drop, the more bloated squad positions are and there are fewer opportunities for youngsters to get time because those mediocre players like Rojo, Darmian, etc are taking up space and get some time themselves.

Pereira is someone who isnt good enough, but obviously is fine as a squad player for now... but he shouldnt stay long term. We should aim to improve our squad throughout and the more spots taken by shite, the fewer spots available for the top players. Not to mention how much wages are wasted on shite.

Ralph1386

No he never was, and his signings did not work out. Not under him anyways, because players like Lindelof and Pogba did play much better after he left even though he was the one who signed them.

Which one of his signings would you consider a success under him?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Isn't it a bit of a worry that nobody wants those certain players?
In some cases it's the wages issue. And this is the problem with luring players to sign based on wage offers that are higher than anyone else can or will pay.

United should start saying to potential new signings "we'll start you off on a decent enough wage and offer regularly improved contracts if you can prove you deserve it, but first and foremost you'd be playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, so look elsewhere if that's not enough and you want an immediate bumper contract."

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In some cases it's the wages issue. And this is the problem with luring players to sign based on wage offers that are higher than anyone else can or will pay.

United should start saying to potential new signings "we'll start you off on a decent enough wage and offer regularly improved contracts if you can prove you deserve it, but first and foremost you'd be playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, so look elsewhere if that's not enough and you want an immediate bumper contract."
Not sure if it is a bit late for us to be that sensible.

parkthebuslads

It's not. Transfer fees are expensive and so we aim to buy as few players as possible whilst still keeping up appearances and challenging for the lucrative CL spots.

Sparkoz_1

No. There seems to be a pattern of UTD being really interested in signings making bids and holding negotiations...then nothing. Saying ' we really tried' but...

And the ones there could be an agreement, and the player is interested they will just baulk at the asking price and everything goes quiet.

Strange that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSingh2002

No he never was, and his signings did not work out. Not under him anyways, because players like Lindelof and Pogba did play much better after he left even though he was the one who signed them.

Which one of his signings would you consider a success under him?
I was referring more to the Maguire/Alderweireld transfer that didn't happen. Had it happened we easily could have seen the end of Jones or Smalling. Those players need to be moved on yet Jones has been given a new deal.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
"We'll get rid of Jones, Young, Rojo, Darmian and Sanchez."

Reality Pogba, Lukaku, Herrera and De Gea.

Njord

Here's the situation from last season.

Starting XI: De Gea, Young, Smalling, Lindelöf, Shaw, Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

Second XI: Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, McTominay, Pereira, Fred, Mata, Lukaku, Sancez

We shouldn't have more than 22 senior players. This means Valencia, Darmian and Grant out.

Young, Smalling Matic and Lingard should be moved to the second XI. This means Rojo, Bailly, Pereira and Mata out.

We have bought James, which should mean Sanchez out.

And De Gea, Pogba, Herrera and Lukaku wants to go.

Situation next season:

Starting XI: New GK, New RB, New CB, Lindelöf, Shaw, New CM, New DM, New CM, New RW, Rashford, Martial

Second XI: Romero, Dalot, Smalling, Jones, Young, McTominay, Matic, Fred, Lingard, New CF, James

That's 12 out and 8 in this summer, which I think is needed.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A big clear-out was never really on - we basically had one position in our starting XI settled (left-back; two maybe with Lindleof) going into the summer, every other position we were either shite or our first choice players wanted out, or in the case of Herrera had already gone.

Ideally you’d want a lot of our current players downgraded either as squad players or gone, but we still need to put-out an XI every weekend.

Code-CX

I have 0 faith in our board. We’re probably going to sell our best players and keep Smalling, Jones, Young, Lingard, etc.. What an absolute shitshow.

George The Best

Nah, the ones that need to go aren’t going as no one wants them. The ones that are likely to go are some of our best players, but as they don’t want to be here we’ll get fleeced on their sale value. Meanwhile we’ll also get fleeced on our recruitment targets because, other than possibly AWB, none of them want to be here either so we will have to offer more than market value and wages to get deals done. Looking like an awful window unless we get lucky.

Jericholyte2

(As per my thread in the mains) I have no faith in the management to appropriately manage the transition of out squad.

Fellaini - already gone
Herrera - already gone
Valencia - already gone

Those wanting out - De Gea, Lukaku, Pogba

Complete deadwood - Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Matic

Really should be done with - Mata, Pereira, Lingard

Wouldn't cry over - Rashford (we absolutely cannot let the guy blackmail us into a stupid contract)

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As a club, we seem weirdly reluctant to trim the squad, and some people say that you cannot get rid of too many as it would be disruptive....but disruptive to what..?
For most of last season we were truly awful, so why are we concerned about disrupting the squad?

Anyway, for me, we have to firstly look at those players whose contracts are expiring and decide if they warrant a place in the grand rebuild.
Valencia - No
Herrera - No
Mata - No
Wilson - No

Then I suppose you look at those players that are either always injured or rarely play, and again decide if they warrant a place in the grand rebuild.
Darmian - No
Rojo - No
Grant - No
Bailly - One more Season

Then you consider the players that are simply not good enough to take the club to where we want to be, and I'm probably being kind to limit that number.
Sanchez - No
Young - No
Jones - No
Matic - No
Smalling - Squad
Fred - One more Season

Now we have to consider the players that don't appear to want to be here anyway.
Lukaku - Sell 60m
Pogba - Sell 120m
Martial - One more Season
De Gea - Keep if at all possible

Thats a helluva lot of deadwood to shift, how much it is costing per month to keep that lot on the books...?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For most of those guys your big hope is a chinese club...that's not good

Darmian will stay btw. You clearly have little interest in actually selling him, must like him as a squad option i guess, even one that barely plays...

Shark

@NotShark
As a club, we seem weirdly reluctant to trim the squad, and some people say that you cannot get rid of too many as it would be disruptive....but disruptive to what..?
For most of last season we were truly awful, so why are we concerned about disrupting the squad?

Anyway, for me, we have to firstly look at those players whose contracts are expiring and decide if they warrant a place in the grand rebuild.
Valencia - No
Herrera - No
Mata - No
Wilson - No

Then I suppose you look at those players that are either always injured or rarely play, and again decide if they warrant a place in the grand rebuild.
Darmian - No
Rojo - No
Grant - No
Bailly - One more Season

Then you consider the players that are simply not good enough to take the club to where we want to be, and I'm probably being kind to limit that number.
Sanchez - No
Young - No
Jones - No
Matic - No
Smalling - Squad
Fred - One more Season

Now we have to consider the players that don't appear to want to be here anyway.
Lukaku - Sell 60m
Pogba - Sell 120m
Martial - One more Season
De Gea - Keep if at all possible

Thats a helluva lot of deadwood to shift, how much it is costing per month to keep that lot on the books...?
We're in such a monumental mess, and this list of players is still only a major chunk of the mess, not entirely. So far we've signed a young winger from the championship, absolutely nothing else. Is there even any rumors of some of this crap being offloaded, any plans at all. All we seem to be reading is Pogba wants out, Lukaku wants out, De Gea wants out. Absolutely nothing on the players that actually need booting.

Gog

Big Summer Clearout - Gets my Vote
(£175m Net Spend)

1st Team Priorities:
Sold in January Window - Fellaini £10m*
Wan.B £50m for Darmian £9m = Net £41m (Cum Spend £31m*)
De.Ligt £80m for Bailly £28m & Rojo £12m = Net £40m (Cum Spend £71m)
Maguire £75m for Smalling & Jones £50m = Net £25m (Cum Spend £96m)
Rice £55m for Fred £27m = Net £28m (Cum Spend £124m)
Rabiot for Herrera = Net £0m (Cum Spend £124m)
Sancho £90m for Martial £54m = Net £36m (Cum Spend £160m)
Griezmann £100m for Lukaku £67m = Net £33m ( Cum Spend £193m)

----------------------------De.Gea

Wan.B-----------De.Ligt------------Maguire------------Shaw

------------------------------Rice

--------------Rabiot----------------------Pogba
Sancho----------------------------------------------Rashford

---------------------------Griezmann

Next (2nd Team) Priorities:
James £18m for Lingard £36m = Net +£18m (Cum Spend £175m)
Longstaff £27m for Matic £27m = Net £0m (Cum Spend £175m)

----------------------------Romero

Dalot------------Lindelof--------------Axel--------------Young

---------------------------Longstaff

------------McTom--------------------------Pereira

Mata----------------------------------------------------James

----------------------------Alexis

Academy: Greenwood, Chong, Angel, Garner, Laird (+ Fosu-Mensah)

oreon

We're in such a monumental mess, and this list of players is still only a major chunk of the mess, not entirely. So far we've signed a young winger from the championship, absolutely nothing else. Is there even any rumors of some of this crap being offloaded, any plans at all. All we seem to be reading is Pogba wants out, Lukaku wants out, De Gea wants out. Absolutely nothing on the players that actually need booting.
We can't be this incompetent. I hope we can atleast get 3 signings done by start of pre-season in the major areas of need: CM, CB & RB. Last season ending was horrible, they have to recognise that. They have to know they are flirting with disaster if this transfer window doesn't address our needs.

eltigreFalcao

Here's the situation from last season.

Starting XI: De Gea, Young, Smalling, Lindelöf, Shaw, Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

Second XI: Romero, Dalot, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, McTominay, Pereira, Fred, Mata, Lukaku, Sancez

We shouldn't have more than 22 senior players. This means Valencia, Darmian and Grant out.

Young, Smalling Matic and Lingard should be moved to the second XI. This means Rojo, Bailly, Pereira and Mata out.

We have bought James, which should mean Sanchez out.

And De Gea, Pogba, Herrera and Lukaku wants to go.

Situation next season:

Starting XI: New GK, New RB, New CB, Lindelöf, Shaw, New CM, New DM, New CM, New RW, Rashford, Martial

Second XI: Romero, Dalot, Smalling, Jones, Young, McTominay, Matic, Fred, Lingard, New CF, James

That's 12 out and 8 in this summer, which I think is needed.
We can expect Valencia, Herrera, Darmian, Grant, to leave the club
We can expect Mata, Pereira, Bailly, Rojo to stay
Big doubts on Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea and Sanchez future, all of them should idealy be first XI
Pereira and Dalot possibly will make the jump to the starting XI
Greenwood to take a place in the first team squad

as such the outcome could possibly be:
First XI: De Gea, Dalot, New CB, Lindelöf, Shaw, New CM/Pereira, Fred, Pogba/New CM, New RW/Sanchez, Rashford, Martial
Second XI: Romero, Young, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Pereira, Matic, McT, Lingard, Greenwood, James

Out: 4-5
In: 3-4 + James

That would be more realistic. And as well needed.

Scholsey2004

We can't be this incompetent. I hope we can atleast get 3 signings done by start of pre-season in the major areas of need: CM, CB & RB. Last season ending was horrible, they have to recognise that. They have to know they are flirting with disaster if this transfer window doesn't address our needs.
The signs aren't promising so far and it's 18th June now. I don't see how we'll get in a midfielder and a centre back when you consider how long it's taken so far to sign Dan James and negotiate wan bissaka. When we were all discussing the need for a ball-playing centre-half at the start of the window I don't think many of us would have thought issa Diop fitted that description either. We seem to have re-signed Mata for three years as well, that's not a good sign.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just reading the names mentioned here annoys me. I can't deal with seeing them on the team sheet all next season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mata can't even play full 90 minutes these days due to stamina depletion. One year of him dying on the right wing is far more than generousity for a likeable player, it's risking another season if the club won't find vital players for required positions.

The clearout will never be effective if we keep overlooking players that can't give this club a needed boost.

MUFC OK

There will be no clear out yet again. it shows how low the stock is in the likes of Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Young, Mata. Most PL clubs do not deem them good enough at all.

we should focus on some high performing youngsters from ligue 1, la liga etc as the fees we are being quoted for half decent prem players is laughable. The end result seems to be that we will have the same disasterous performances week in and out next season. It seems the club constantly forget how poor some of these players have been for us and give them endless new chances, for them to prove once again that they are absolutely woeful yet again.

Celoti23-81

Mata can't even play full 90 minutes these days due to stamina depletion. One year of him dying on the right wing is far more than generousity for a likeable player, it's risking another season if the club won't find vital players for required positions.

The clearout will never be effective if we keep overlooking players that can't give this club a needed boost.
I'm thinking that the performance against Liverpool where he ran 30 yards to retrieve the ball when injured showed commitment and desire that has landed him this contract! Doesn't matter about ability anymore under Solskjaer! It's out desire. Good luck with that!

Havak

Pokemon master
Looking at the OP, I think that by the end of Ole's 3-year tenure (if he manages to see it out) that only maybe de Gea will still be here. It'll take time, but they'll all be gone by then.

As for this summer right now... We've lost Herrera and Valencia already. We might lose one of Lukaku, Sanchez, or Pogba. Darmian should go, while we should probably lose one of Rojo or Bailly as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm thinking that the performance against Liverpool where he ran 30 yards to retrieve the ball when injured showed commitment and desire that has landed him this contract! Doesn't matter about ability anymore under Solskjaer! It's out desire. Good luck with that!
I would love to disagree with you on this but then again, you look at contracts for Jones and Young and commitment over actual ability premise is actually starting to validate itself.

More than three weeks to first pre-season game. It's alot of time, but last summer I think majority of supporters thought the same.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There will be no clear out yet again. it shows how low the stock is in the likes of Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Young, Mata. Most PL clubs do not deem them good enough at all..
I think that you are right, and the problem is further compounded by the inflated wages they are all on.
The players don't want to give that up and any interested clubs can't or won't pay these sums.

I'd bet you that just those 5 that you've mentioned are extracting around £2 million per month in wages, surely it'd be better to just let a couple go on a free transfer or just ask for a nominal fee of a couple of million just to get them off the wage bill...??

youmeletsfly

The signs aren't promising so far and it's 18th June now. I don't see how we'll get in a midfielder and a centre back when you consider how long it's taken so far to sign Dan James and negotiate wan bissaka. When we were all discussing the need for a ball-playing centre-half at the start of the window I don't think many of us would have thought issa Diop fitted that description either.
I think it's all about the money. We don't really have that much to spend after the idiotic spending of Lvg/Jose.

Scholsey2004

I think it's all about the money. We don't really have that much to spend after the idiotic spending of Lvg/Jose.
I think it's ed and his team of money men. Negotiations take forever over fees and without a DOF it's very difficult to express a project or direction to the players and their advisors because we don't have one. We're a shambles.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've been debating this for how long? Darmian, Rojo, Young Jones etc are still here. Fecking tired tbh. Sick of this shit.