Biggest feckups in Academy award history

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
A few points:

Crash - It was very well made, fully deserved the nomination IMO, but it only won because the academy awards panel were under huge pressure not to give it to Brokeback after its critical shitstorm of a reception

The Shawshank Redemption - Fantastic movie, but only getting heat because it's taken over the #1 spot on IMDB for quite awhile now

The Departed - Widely regarded as the "makeup Oscar" for Scorsese after having lost out so many times most notably for Goodfellas. Fair enough. It also won Best Picture that year, but what was the closest competition? Babel, and Little Miss Sunshine.

Not winning an Oscar:

Born on the Fourth of July (beaten by Driving Miss Daisy)
Dead Poets Society (same as above)
Hotel Rwanda (criminally underrated and largely ignored, despite 3 noms)
The Dark Knight (would have still gotten steamrolled by Slumdog anyways, so they decided not to nominate it altogether to make themselves look more professional, snubbing the comic book movie) (yet LOTR3 won like 11 Oscars)
The Aviator (losing out to Million Dollar Baby)
Blood Diamond (Djimon Hounsou got robbed on a ridiculously intense performance, and it didn't get a Best Picture nomination)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A few points:

Crash - It was very well made, fully deserved the nomination IMO, but it only won because the academy awards panel were under huge pressure not to give it to Brokeback after its critical shitstorm of a reception

Hugely patronisisng hollywood pap. One of the few films that made me want to smash the telly to make it stop. Utterly hateful.

Born on the Fourth of July (beaten by Driving Miss Daisy)
Dead Poets Society (same as above)

Both better than the winner by some margin particularly the later.

Hotel Rwanda (criminally underrated and largely ignored, despite 3 noms)

Brilliant film.

The Dark Knight (would have still gotten steamrolled by Slumdog anyways, so they decided not to nominate it altogether to make themselves look more professional, snubbing the comic book movie) (yet LOTR3 won like 11 Oscars)

Yawn. Can't remember a thing about it already.

The Aviator (losing out to Million Dollar Baby)

Not as bad as MDB but not all that.

Blood Diamond (Djimon Hounsou got robbed on a ridiculously intense performance, and it didn't get a Best Picture nomination)

Best film? Not even close to being worthy of a nomination much less a win. The best you can say about it is that Di Caprio finally looked like he might be approaching the end of puberty. Half decent DVD fare but nowt more.

VP

Yes it was. The worst bit was the rat at the end of the movie. I like symbolism, but that was way too obvious.
Agreed. I remember I mentioned this somewhere on here before and some of the film buffs not liking it.

There's symbolism and then there's treating your audience like 8 years old.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Agreed. I remember I mentioned this somewhere on here before and some of the film buffs not liking it.

"The rat symbolizes obviousness"

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You should see his interview with charlie rose about There Will Be Blood
It sums up why he is the best

He used to be good but he has gone down the massive overacting route which has mde him truly annoying to watch. Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood were both really really annoying to watch because he was camping it up to show what a great Actoooooooor he was.

And I really really like him at his best.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Talking of Crash ......

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
LOTR's Oscar was a collective award but I still think that The Fellowship of the Ring is the only great film amongst the 3. As a stand alone film The Return of the King is a messy indulgance that Jackson gets away with only because of the tremendous achievement of the trilogy as a whole.

Dark Knight for me is a total mystery. The couple of minutes prelude in Batman Begins was better than the whole of the Dark Knight. A crushing disappointment really.

I think DDL and There will be blood are up there with the very best. i think his performance was ludicrous but to me it just added to the texture of the film. TWBB and No Country are probably the 2 best competing films and they really showed up the previous few winners.

The Aviatar was even less deserving than The Departed.

I think Crash is the worst film I have ever seen. Apart from being crude and stupid, I actually found it an ugly and unpleasant experience. Some of the more grubby scenes were so cheap and manipulative that it made my skin crawl.

That it won over a really quite brilliant and beautiful film, only serves to highlight the horrible stain on OSCAR's credibility.

In my not so humble opinion.

The_Red_Hope

I saw Revolutionary Road the other day and thought that it atleast deserved a nomination for Best Film. How and why this movie was completely ignored by the academy I will never know.

And Leonardo surely surely deserved a nomination as well. Brilliant performances from both Kate and Leo. Give it a watch people.

Alex

Heard it was top class, probably heart by the fact that it came out so late in the cycle in addition to lack of ads

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wibble, what movies do you rate? You seem to put down every movie that's been mentioned.
The oscars have been utter pap most of the time for ages. Not even close to the best film in particular. Slumdog Millionaire is another example. A good enjoyable film but the best this year? Feck off.

Looking at the Best Picture winners since 96 when Braveheart won it I can only see one that was a truly worthy winner - A Beautiful Mind.

LOTR and Gladiator were wonderfully entertaining and beautifully shot films but the best film? Not totally convinced. So 1 in 14 years is pretty piss poor.

Of the films nominted for something at the last 5 Academy Awards I'd have gone with

Finding Neverland
Brokeback Mountain
Pan's Labyrinth (I presume it won best foreign language film)
Atonement
Transformers (OK I couldn't think of one)
Frost/Nixon with Milk close behind (not seen Benjamin Button)

Johnno

The oscars have been utter pap most of the time for ages. Not even close to the best film in particular. Slumdog Millionaire is another example. A good enjoyable film but the best this year? Feck off.

Looking at the Best Picture winners since 96 when Braveheart won it I can only see one that was a truly worthy winner - A Beautiful Mind.

LOTR and Gladiator were wonderfully entertaining and beautifully shot films but the best film? Not totally convinced. So 1 in 14 years is pretty piss poor.

Of the films nominted for something at the last 5 Academy Awards I'd have gone with

Finding Neverland
Brokeback Mountain
Atonement
Milk (Not seen Benjamin Button)
watching this on the iPod at lunch and will on way home soon Wib, I've sene it before, was very surpised how good it was, despite my hatred for Steve from Shameless. A good film, the Dunkirk Evac continuous panoramic scene was sensational...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A mate of mine was the cinematographer. By mate I mean I lived in the same student house as him for a few months in the 80's. His girlfriend at the time still has my wife's ski boots.

Bastards.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul

Finding Neverland
Brokeback Mountain
Atonement
fair enough, was just wondering like.

Alex

Finding Neverland
Brokeback Mountain
Atonement
I found it completely overrated, albeit very good but not as good as some believe. Also, I don't think it could have won best picture as it was in Spanish, I'm not sure but that may have disqualified it from that award, just a guess.

B Cantona

Desperate
The Departed - Widely regarded as the "makeup Oscar" for Scorsese after having lost out so many times most notably for Goodfellas. Fair enough. It also won Best Picture that year, but what was the closest competition? Babel, and Little Miss Sunshine
Precisely. Judge a film on it's competition that year. I've seen The Departed a few times now, it's a very good film. Yipee it's a remake, was still very well done. I've not seen Little Miss Sunshine, but I have seen Babel, which I thought was a bit of a stinker. Not quite 12 monkeys or 7 years in Tibet bad, but another stinker on the Pitt CV regardless

He used to be good but he has gone down the massive overacting route which has mde him truly annoying to watch. Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood were both really really annoying to watch because he was camping it up to show what a great Actoooooooor he was.

And I really really like him at his best.
Talking bollocks as usual Wibbs. He was exceptional in both those movies. Both times he was the best thing about the film by a country mile. Brillaint actor

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Says the man who thinks Kevin Costner is good.

You will be telling me that Jack Nicholson doesn't overact next.

Spoony

The People's President
Costner is good. Twice nominated as best actor for the Oscar no less. And winner as best director / best picture for Dances with Wolves
Costner has never been good. He's always been middle of the road in every sense.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Thought Open Range and Dances With Wolves were excellent and even liked Waterworld.

Think Costner is a bland monotone actor but he can act. Like Richard Gere, he won't do anything special but he won't ruin a film by his presence. Unlike a truly bad actor (see Orlando Bloom).

Johnno

I tend to find that unfortunately, Scorcese's recent films are generally disappointing. I found a lot of his earlier films worked so well because they had that 1970's essence and grit and I think the photography actually contributed greatly to the tones of the films such as Mean Streets, Taxi Driver (especially) and Raging Bull.
Also, the 1970's New York backdrops were magnificent for the undertones of these films. They also worked greatly with Goodfellas of course which is a top film but with movies like Gangs of New York and The Departed, I've been very dissapointed.
He should not have used Di Caprio in The Departed, I'm sorry but he's just not up to it as a hard man.....

EricaNo7

Finding Neverland
Brokeback Mountain
Atonement
i couldn't believe Russell didn't get an Oscar for that,