Biggest ref's mistakes against/in favour United?

ScholesyTheWise

Just watched it back - looks level to me. Commentator even says "to Giggs, who is onside"
I seem to remember a replay they showed in the final where you could clearly see he was ~half a yard offside. Like, you didn't even need to take a 2nd look. I too, like the commentator, thought he was onside at first glance.

But then again, We'd have needed 2/3 more gifts to win that night. Feck me that Barca side was brutal.

knut

Without that mistake, the replay might have never taken place, so it was a great decision by the referee!
That is so true. I'll give you that one but I cannot promise never to mention that Elleray moment again.

sugar_kane

The handbwll by middlesbrough last season is the worst ive ever seen.

Not just that it was blatant but it was shown very clearly on the VAR and wasn't even an accidental error. They deliberately got the decision wrong then literally invented a new rule to get around it. The point at which I gave up on the idea that these things are always "mistakes"
The worst one about this is that the rule makes no sense whatsoever.

Handball literally anywhere on the pitch? Free kick / penalty.

Handball before an assist? Sound, the goal stands.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Penalty call v Portsmouth in the semi final with a second treble still alive.

absolute stone wall penalty for us. Forget who was involved
wasn't it Glen the son of John body-checked Ronaldo?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That Chelsea Stamford Bridge game, David Luiz debut. He's made at least 5 yellow card fouls and another one or two red card offences, but somehow end up being man of the match and Howard Webb awarding us one or two decisions and non United fans were convinced Howard Webb gave us everything in that game. He was widely regarded as our fan after that, despite all the shenanigans in that game that went against us, but one or two questionable decisions that happened before our goals was more than enough to turn people the conspiracy theory against us.

Djemba-Djemba

Michael Ball stamping Ronaldo in the stomach in the 06/07 season away to City. Despicable cnut of a man.

Didn't end up costing us anything, but was a horrendous act.
There was more to it too.

He stamped on Ronaldo and got away with it and then with about 5 minutes to go and the score at 1-0 Utd he blatantly dived in our area and won City a penalty.

Luckily VDS saved it, we won the game and Chelsea failed to win the day after and we were champions, but this cnut Ball did everything he could to stop us.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It doesn't really matter because the back then-noisy neighbours got their iconic "Aguerooo" moment in the end, but in 2012 the conspiracy theorists had something to point their finger at. Both clubs had a bumpy festive period, but the turn of the year found City recapturing some of their earlier form by thrashing 'pool 3-0 (they went on to win 7/8 matches) while we suffered a heavy defeat at St James' Park and were left three points behind City. Players were missing and we were struggling to find form in a season when we were mostly playing catch-up.

We did find a brilliant winning form, with 11 wins and a draw in the next three months. Not always by playing well, though. Early in that run, we hosted Stoke City in OT and scored from two very debatable penalties. If i remember correctly, when asked about the penalty decisions, Pulis said "this is Old Trafford" or something along those lines. A week later, we were 3-0 down at The Bridge and we turned it around to get a point with two more penalties. Those weren't debatable. They were non-existent. Howard Webb was the ref at SB, a detail that made the criticism louder.

After that, we beat Liverpool and went on to have that great run that took us 5 points clear off City until the Wigan and Everton games. Don't know, i guess i always felt that we got some kind of helping hand when we needed it back then.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The worst one about this is that the rule makes no sense whatsoever.

Handball literally anywhere on the pitch? Free kick / penalty.

Handball before an assist? Sound, the goal stands.
Because the rule was completely made up to justify giving the goal and backwards engineer it into being the correct decision.

There is no rule that says you can assist a goal with handball. The rule is that accidental handball only applies to the goalscorer, and is completely irrelevant to the scenario.

This decision and the Drogba ones are the only times I've been pushed to thinking it's bent officiating rather than mistakes, because they're so bad that the idea it was a mistake is impossible to put down as the most reasonable explanation.

The thing is at least with the Drogba one you could argue the linesman was just daydreaming or getting attacked by a wasp during the incident or something. There are at least possibilities that explain it being a mistake. The Middlesbrough one you don't even have that as it was looked at by VAR. They literally just decided to get it wrong on purpose and then invented an excuse to explain it. Its impossible to explain away as a visual error and extremely difficult to even explain away as gross incompetence...as that would require you to believe that multiple top level football officials randomly all forgot how the handball rule works, during a game, at the same time, which is completely ridiculous.

Pintu

Plenty against…

For, only my favourites:

Evans vs Drogba… :lol: :lol:

And why was Essien’s goal ruled out in Europa? That was in Var era already.:lol: :lol:

One of the worst I can remember was Vardy and Rafael when we got beat by Leicester ages ago. Vardy smashed into the back of Rafael (no foul) and then literally seconds later Vardy went over with Rafael barely breathing on him in the area (pen). Think it was Clattenburg but not 100%

Ceteris

If am not mistaken Rio scored a legitimate goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup final that was ruled out, ended up losing on pens after Scholes missed

Lentwood

I watched highlights against Porto in CL 2004 and Fergie said after that game that ref cost us CL that year. So i am trying to remember when else refs had a mare in our games.
I will add best (and clear examples) after you post them:
Against us:
1) Scholes goal vs Porto
2) Nani's red card vs Real
3) Rafael's red card vs Bayern (ok, that decision was 50:50)
4) Drogba goal from offside when we lost a PL title because of it
5) penalty vs Sociedad
6) Fletcher red card in CL
7) Penalty for Boro in cup game
8) Henry offside goal
9) Newcastle game 2022 (clear pen and a goal)
10) Aston Villa free kick. Wall standing waaaaay too far

In our favour;
1) Chicharito goal against Chelsea from offside in 4:3 win plus Torres second yellow for diving
2) Carrol vs Spurs
3) Scholes not sent off vs Wigan
4) Rooney elbow vs Wigan
5) Evans karate kick on Drogba
6) Maguire not sent off vs Chelsea for kicking a player
7) Newcastle game 2022 (pen for Newcastle)
8) Mikhi scorpion goal
For

Zlatan equaliser vs Liverpool

The penalty against PSG, although it was consistent with the rules at the time

Rooney penalty vs The Invincibles / Ferdinand not sent off vs The Invincibles

Against

John Terry rugby tackle in penalty area on Antonio Valencia at Stamford Bridge

Waynne

I would have absolutely no problem with a 6 month ban for tackles like that. 100% intending to hurt the opponent.
A bit light for me. Tackles like that can prematurely end the playing career of an opposition player. It should carry a very hefty punishment.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
A bit light for me. Tackles like that can prematurely end the playing career of an opposition player. It should carry a very hefty punishment.
That's pretty much any tackle, most serious injuries seem to happen in the most innocuous circumstances and the ones that look really bad they just get up half the time

Frank Grimes

FA Cup final 2007. Going for the double v Chelsea and Giggs gets clattered from behind. He still makes contact with the ball and it nearly goes over the line but it was a clear foul and should have been a penalty.

Champions League Final 2008. Carvalho with a dreadful tackle on Ronaldo when we lead 1-0, gets booked but it was a clear red.

Leethal

Has to be Carroll vs. Tottenham where the ball was miles over the line from a shot from the halfway line. Or something like that. I just remember him scrambling and the ball being miles over and we got away with it.