Biggest transfer snubs in football

tentan

Poor man's poster.
The Caicedo snubbing Liverpool saga has left me wondering has there been any more well known snubs in football down the years?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Beckham snubbing Barcelona.

Cost us Ronaldinho. Yeah, yeah, we got Cristiano, but should have got both.

Kassadin

We never had an offer accepted though
IIRC there were multiple reports that we had reached an agreement with Barca after John Murtough and Richard Arnold were spotted in Barcelona.

Frenkie would then proceed to snub us and Barca later changed their tune that he was never up for sale.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Shearer, Us. Twice.
I sort of respect him for that even though I also hate it. He could've been a king at United and won shitloads, but loyalty was more important. That and he probably hates us...

Loon

:lol:
I sort of respect him for that even though I also hate it. He could've been a king at United and won shitloads, but loyalty was more important. That and he probably hates us...
Ferguson talks about it in his book. When at Southampton, he petulantly asked of Ferguson, “Why didn’t you come for me sooner?”

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Ferguson talks about it in his book. When at Southampton, he petulantly asked of Ferguson, “Why didn’t you come for me sooner?”
He had a choice and he chose the money at Blackburn, then he chose Newcastle because they were his boyhood team, the latter was his dream you can't criticize him for that

Loon

He had a choice and he chose the money at Blackburn, then he chose Newcastle because they were his boyhood team, the latter was his dream you can't criticize him for that
Nobody is criticising him, this is a“transfer snubs” thread.

Kaos

Not exactly a 'big' snub but I recall Hary Kewell turning us down to join the scouse 20 years ago. Jokes on him though, he was absolute shite and a crock for them :lol:

Loon

Robben was shown around Carrington by Van Nistlerooy and then fecked off the Chelsea.

The biggest one for me is genius Gascoigne agreeing a move with Ferguson and saying he’d sign when Fergie was back from holiday only for Spurs to buy his mum and dad a house and him to join them.

ManchesterMats

I really thought Haaland would come to United before he signed for Dortmund. Felt like a snub to me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mbappe to Madrid about a year ago? It seemed all but confirmed he was going then he signed a one year extension?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
John Obi Mikel
Surely this one, he actually signed for us.

Also, not sure if it counts as he was already their player... But Sol Campbell snubbing Spurs contact offer and leaving for Arsenal? Seem to remember he constantly said that he'd be staying

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Not exactly a 'big' snub but I recall Hary Kewell turning us down to join the scouse 20 years ago. Jokes on him though, he was absolute shite and a crock for them :lol:
Didn't he win the Champions League after joining?

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Willian disappearing from Spurs' training center after already undertaking a medical with them to join Chelsea instead.

Oranges038

Roy Keane backing out on his agreement with Dalglish to join Balckburn and joining Utd instead.

Best decision he ever made.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Marcelo Salas turned United down for Lazio

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I thought we looked at Kewell but instead opted for Ronaldo?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The only reason United had the chance to sign Ronaldo was because Marcelo Salas rejected Sporting. We had the deal lined up with Juventus.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Surely the correct answer is kaka to city or am I remembering what down wrong?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The only reason United had the chance to sign Ronaldo was because Marcelo Salas rejected Sporting. We had the deal lined up with Juventus.
Wait a player rejected sporting so they sold Ronaldo?

hobbers

Frenkie at least was the most protracted snubbing ever.

2 months of saying no

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wait a player rejected sporting so they sold Ronaldo?
Salas rejected to join us so Ronaldo stayed and eventually joined United. He was going to Juventus in a cash plus Salas deal.