• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Joga/Gio

Overview
: The side retains the shape and core tenets of our original 3-5-2 set-up, with our new addition, El Fenomeno slotting in seamlessly, into an attack starring the ultimate orchestrator in Diego Maradona and the quintessential forward in Ferenc Puskas.

THE BACK LINE

Three time Ballon d'Or nominee, "Iron Curtain' Rinat Dasayev stands guard in between the sticks with his superlative 'cat' like shot-stopping skills and inch perfect distribution from the back - which truly makes for a tremendous and varied supply line from deep, in fine synchrony with Krol and Scirea. The defensive supremo Gaetano Scirea commanded the rearguard like few others and actively embedded himself in the various phases of the game emphatically - being the imperious presence as the penultimate figure in the defensive unit; reading the game and imposing himself on the flow of the match and choreographing play from the back in fine style. He was given umpteen freedom at the back and boy did Scirea deliver time after time - one of the five players in the history of the game to have won all the international club tournaments and that's before we count his masterclass in masterminding Italy to the 1982 WC win. As Zoff aptly summarised “there will never be another of his kind”.

An unsurpassable brickwall at the back, trying to get past Lilian Thuram was quite the fruitless task as many a top forward found out to their dismay. At his apogee, Thuram simply possessed the best warrior-like facets of a stopper, with none of the potential weaknesses, that even some of the best of this breed tend to be plagued with. An exquisite blend of sheer physicality, tactical nous and raw power, Thuram was the model stopper whose match-winning displays for both club and country earned him a bronze ball and a Guerin d'Oro. "No one wants to be marked by Thuram. They know the game is already halfway lost".

A man steeped in the defensive dark arts of the infamous catenaccio, Giacinto Facchetti brought a whole new complexion to the Italian, nay the very game itself with his marauding bolts down the left flank. His defensive prowess in conjunction with his pace, poise and technique allowed his sides to swiftly switch from rearguard to raid in devastating fashion. In fact it speaks volumes that Facchetti's game proved to be the inspiration for one Der Kaiser - “I learned from him to get forward in attack”. The impact of Ill Capitano was undeniable - being one of the two full backs ever to win the ballon d'Or Silver Ball, and playing an integral role in Italy's Euros triumph and WC final run, besides two European Cups and two further EC finals amongst various other trophies for his beloved Inter.

Eric Gerets was a zestful dynamo and a galvanising presence at the back for several excellent teams, captaining the Belgian 'golden generation' which made the Euros 1980 final and a best ever top 4 finish in the WC - where they were rather unfortunate to face a strong German side in the final and ill-fated to face a Maradona on a crazed one-man campaign - and the the European Cup winning PSV vintage where he won ten trophies. A formidable leader at the rear with his no nonsense defending and irrepressible running, it was only fitting that he was labelled the "Lion of Flanders".

Totaalvoetbal connoisseur Ruud Krol, was the defensive cornerstone of the 1970s Ajax/Dutch vintage and he was truly a complete presence at his back with his tactical nous and defensive ability - in addition to being a classy operator on the ball. Krol is tailor made for this LCB role and he excelled both as a FB and as CB - winning 3 European cups and making the WC Final as a FB; and as a CB leading Netherlands to the WC Final being their best player, establishing himself in the elite batch of CBs who finished in the podium of the ballon d'Or and of course winning the Guerin d'Oro (POTY) in an absurdly stingy Serie A.

ENGINE ROOM

One of the greatest midfield dynamos ever, Paul Breitner was a fearsome colossus to behold, whose concoction of tigerish combative qualities and technical brilliance, made for a truly potent brew. His tireless running and ferocious tackling enabled him to break up opposition attacks, but when play swirled towards the other end, he would be there again, slipping through intelligent passes and often finding the net himself - averaging a near 1 in 2 record at his peak. A defensive lynchpin of the highest calibre, it would actually be doing a disservice to Frank Rjkaard to pigeon-hole him into a category. The Dutchman, after all, was a classic “universalist” as Sacchi would call it – equally proficient breaking up attacks, striding forward powerfully and playing defense splitting balls. A real virtuoso who simply made the midfield territory his and owned it like few others.

Breitner won just about everything there is to win as a maverick left back, finishing 4th in the ballon d'Or in addition to scoring a WC final goal, before transitioning into an all conquering midfield general - leading ze Germans to an European Cup and a WC final, in addition to smashing in yet another WC final goal and winning the ballon d'Or silver ball.
Likewise Rijkaard simultaneously functioned as a centre back for Netherlands, triumphing in Euro 1988, and as a complete midfielder for the consecutive European Cup winning Milan - even scoring the winner in the 1990 EC final and bagging two ballon d'Or bronze balls. All before finally playing an exacting DM/libero role for the revolutionary European Cup winning Ajax. It wasn't just their class but rather their malleability and all round games which made them rise as the creme of the crop.

Together Breitner and Rijkaard form a multifaceted midfield duo which can fluidly translate between various phases - acting as a defensive barricade off the ball, being the driving force forward or the creative bedrock for the offense on the ball.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
OFFENSE

A sublime offense which boasts the perfect dose of lethality, invention and unrivalled match-winning prowess. At the epicentre of it all and taking reins over the attacking ensemble is one Diego Armando Maradona. Possessing an elemental mastery of the ball which bordered on obscene, el Pibe's unrivalled repertoire of skills were as dazzling as they were deadly. His exploits for Argentina in the 1986 World Cup and his mind-boggling exhibitions for Napoli in the rigorous and stifling environs of the late 1980s Serie A, will probably never be surpassed. Maradona once exclaimed “I seemed to be able to leave everyone behind.” He may as well have been talking about football history. Having the perfect foundation supporting him, the highly technical and canny Mighty Magyar Puskas to dovetail with and the ultimate defense 'shredder' in El Fenomeno up front, Maradona would truly be a nightmare to deal with in this illustrious company.

Mighty Magyar Ferenc feckin Puskas knew a thing or two about putting the ball in the net. The 4th highest goalscorer in the history of the game, 84 goals in 85 caps for Hungary, 240 in 260 games for Real, 165 in 164 for Honved, 7 goals in 2 European Cup finals, 35 in 39 European Cup games; 4 pichichis, 2 European Cup top scorer awards, 4 Hungarian league top scorer awards, European Golden Boot, CEICs (Euros) top scorer awards are testament to the Hungarian's phenomenal goalscoring prowess.

However, it would be erroneous to classify this top 10 great as a 'mere goalscorer', he was much much more than that. The active heartbeat and the captain of the revolutionary Mighty Magyars side, Puskas was the talismanic figure who drove both club and country to much vaunted heights - winning 10 titles in addition to 3 European Cups for Real and triumphing in the CEICs (Euros) and making the WC final for Hungary, with whom he won the Golden Ball. As Buzansky aptly stated "If a good player has the ball, he should have the vision to spot three passes. Puskas always saw at least five.”

El Fenomeno struck fear into even the most battle hardened defenders, shredding through defenses for fun. Not many took the piss out of defensive greats in such alarming regularity as El Fenomeno did and one could only be in awe of his jaw dropping blend of flair and sheer ruthlessness. Well, how about we let his contemporaries do the talking here:

Lionel Messi said:
Ronaldo was my hero. He was the best striker I’ve ever seen. He was so fast he could score from nothing
Buffon said:
The best I have ever played against. He was sort of like an alien because of what he could do on the pitch.
Ronaldinho said:
He was my idol... The most complete striker there has ever been, the most complete striker there will ever be
Desailly said:
I’ve never seen a player able to show such precise control at such a high speed. Watching him was like watching a character in a video game. Whether he goes left or right, you don’t see the ball. It’s magic.
Maldini said:
Ronaldo during his first two years at Inter was phenomenal
Lippi said:
Coaches recommended a second defensive line against him because everyone had the impression that Ronaldo would be able to lose his marker, whether it was with a sprint, or facing a defender directly.

We believe Tuppet has a fine team but perhaps the compatibility of his centre-back duo can be called into question here. Nothing significant but given the context of the game here, it could very well come down to minute details determining the game. It's a fantastic team overall though and there's lots to like about it tbh.

Good luck Tuppet.

Joga/Gio

vs

Tuppet

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Tuppet

Once again team set up around the genius of Alfredo Di Stefano and the chaotic force of nature Garrincha, with complementary partnerships all over the pitch set up to get the best of these 2 players.

Defense:​

My defense is led by 2 world cup winning captains and 2 of the finest complete defenders of all time. Passarella and Moore are not only 2 of the most talented defenders but compliment each other perfectly. A combination of fire and ice, while Passarella was in your face, aggressive and aerially dominant defender. Moore was calm and composure personified, unflappable under pressure, Moore's tackling, anticipation and positioning is unmatched even among elite defenders.

This fantastic duo is then joined by the greatest left back of all time Paolo Maldini, playing in his favorite role he further lend solidity to my back line. On the right, my team sport World cup winning (and starting in best world cup XI) right back Victor Rodriguez Andrade. V. Andrade was a primarily defensive right half, who was a physical specimen and a man marker of highest quality. His battles with Czibor and Zizinho are stuff of legends. His defensive solidity is especially important for right wing dynamics with Garrincha.

Midfield:
The central midfield is marshaled by double pivot of Matthaus and Neeskens. Two legendary central midfielders, who while possessing array of excellent technical skills were also defensive behemoths. Matthaus faces the familiar foe in Maradona, with one victory and one loss in world cup finals, this all time draft is probably going to be the defining battle. Maradona himself declared Matthaus his greatest rival, and here he got support of Neeskens to take on probably the greatest number 10 of all time. Not saying they would definitely win this battle, but this is pretty much as good as it gets to stop Maradona without resorting to outright thuggery of Gentile.

Alright before moving on lets also tackle another issue. I am well aware of the all round game of Neeskens and Matthaus, but here they are asked to do a disciplined job, which mostly mean that they both would not be bombing forward recklessly. They are two uber intelligent players and both have played against or with J/G's midfield and are well aware of the threat.

Does this take away from their game, probably yeah, we won't get playmaking and their marauding runs would be limited, but we don't really need that. We have an ace creator in front of them, who is well known for both creating and finishing moves. So we are not really gonna miss anything by our midfielder being extra smart in shielding the defense and make the game as difficult as possible for Maradona.

Attack:​

A blend of creativity, dribbling, hard work and finishing. I've tried to make this attack as complimentary and incisive to as possible and not just a bunch of superstars thrown together. First lets talk about the glue, the player holding everything together and making this team tick. Alfredo di Stefano, a dude so awesome, I can not do justice to his greatness (and weird uniqueness) in one post, so I'll direct you to this thread where people far more knowledgeable than me have discussed his skills. Maradona might be the best player on the pitch, but Di Stefano is the most unique, he makes everything tick and as Miguel Muñoz put it, its like having two players in every position. Di Stefano would be playing his customary Di Stefano role, in which he would be dropping deep to help midfield and recieve ball, creating chances and sometimes managing to finish chances as well.

Then we come to another legend in my attack, probably the greatest winger of all time - Garrincha. Probably one of the most naturally talented player in the history of game. His heroics in 62 world cup to drag his team to the trophy are only rivaled by one other player, who is in the same pitch but on opposite side. He would be in a free right wing role, where he is given full license to just do his thing. He would be looking to beat his marker with his exceptional dribbling and provide crosses to be finished by Muller or cut inside and shoot at goal. He had a mean shot at him as well, which earned him a golden boot at world cup.

Gerd Muller would be doing his thing in the opposition penalty box, with his deadly finishing and the chances that are being created for him by everyone, its very hard to see him not scoring. He was a man for big occasion and occasion does not get bigger than this.
Finally Boniek would be the hard working foil that is absolutely needed in every star studded team to give it balance. But that should not take away from his own brilliance. The greates Polish player of all time, would be looking to stretch the play on the left side, providing a foil for Garrincha and space for Muller and Di Stefano.

Why would we win -
Well, its just super hard to see any faults in J/G's side. There are no obvious flaws and this game is not going to be one sided by any means. The only advantage that I can think of is the variety in my attack, which would stretch the opposition defense. While my opposition sports a formidable defense, I can still think that we would create enough opportunities to make something happen, esp in wide areas. Garrincha and Di Stefano are two very powerful weapons and with the finisher extraordinaire Muller lurking, its gonna take something extraordinary to stop my attack, even for J/G's amazing defense.​
In Midfield its probably an even battle, may be favoring to my side just a tiny bit, with Di Stefano providing much more help than Maradona. I can't separate our midfield duos, I like mine ofcourse, but I can see the awesomeness in J/G's duo as well.
I don't envy voter's dilemma here, these are two outstanding sides, with my side clearly favoring attack and J/G's favoring defense. It will be a cracking game nonetheless.

Subs: Nasazzi, Davids, Coluna, Jairzinho.
Good luck
@Joga Bonito @Gio @Tuppet

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not to jump the gun and ruin a match up but Joga's team is pretty much perfect. Upgrade Gerets with a better RB and it can pass off as the best side of all time even. Tuppet's side peaked in Quarters. I didn't like the balance of Lothar and Neeskens MF in semis either, he was better off with a more defensive player in there rather than another B2B/AM in Neeskens.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, it's Joga/Gio.

For me, that Ronaldo reinforcement was just right. I'm still not 100% sold on the overall dynamics, but it's close enough.

Tuppet has an incredibly strong side, but I agree with what crappy suggests above: the team sorta peaked there, and the last reinforcement/upgrade underlines this.

Key: Joga/Gio have too many strings to play on here. Even if Maradona gets shackled to a criticial degree, there's too much - and too varied - attacking strength left in the likes of Puskas and Ronaldo (both of whom are insanely hard to contain, and extreme goal threats), and (not least, I feel, in this particular match) Facchetti.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah, it's Joga/Gio.

For me, that Ronaldo reinforcement was just right. I'm still not 100% sold on the overall dynamics, but it's close enough.

Tuppet has an incredibly strong side, but I agree with what crappy suggests above: the team sorta peaked there, and the last reinforcement/upgrade underlines this.

Key: Joga/Gio have too many strings to play on here. Even if Maradona gets shackled to a criticial degree, there's too much - and too varied - attacking strength left in the likes of Puskas and Ronaldo (both of whom are insanely hard to contain, and extreme goal threats), and (not least, I feel, in this particular match) Facchetti.

Yeah, agreed with that overall assessment, esp the last para.

Tuppet

My team is better in every single department than J/G’s team, and this is not some fantasy but is based on facts. These are fachts I present you, no mind games just FACHTS -

1. Seriously who is even Dasayev ? did he even won the Champions league ? Cause Petr Cech did and saved Penalty in final. Tuppet 1 - 0 J/G

2. Victor Andradade won the world cup, but more importantly check out his cool nick name "La Perla Negra" compare this to Gerets, who not only did not win the world cup but what kinda cheesy nick name is "The Lion". Tuppet 2 -0 J/G

3. Passarella & Moore are world cup winning captains, Krol did not even won a world cup and Thuram was far from being a captain. Tuppet 4 - 0 J/G

4. Maldini was selected as defender in FIFA world cup dream team, the first defender to ever got shortlisted for FIFA world player of the year where he came second. Facchetti isn't even comparable to San Paolo, nobody even called him San Facchetti. Tuppet 5 - 0 J/G

5. Neeskens was the star of two of the best teams to have reached the world cup final and not won it. Scirea couldn't even manage to lose one. Tuppet 6 -0 J/G

6. Matthuas lead his team to world cup final and get himself substituted at 80th minute of CL final to hear crowd applause and led to United Treble. Rijkaard did not lead his team to world cup final and get himself substituted at 80th minute of CL final to hear crowd applause and led to United Treble.
Tuppet 7 - 0 J/G

7. Boniek was called “il bello di notte” because he was awesome and was the greatest Polish player of all time. Brietner isn't even Polish. Tuppet 8 - 0 J/G

8. Garrincha won golden ball and golden boot in a world cup and lost his virginity by shagging a goat and run over his own father while driving car, AFAIK Puskas did none of these things. Tuppet 9-0 J/G

9. Gerd Muller is the greatest German Striker, is Ronaldo the greatest German striker. NO!! Tuppet 10 - 0 J/G

10. Di Stefano scored in 5 champions league final and won Ballon D’or. Maradona did not scored in 5 champions league final and won Ballon D’or. Tuppet 11 - 0 J/G

And yet I am down 8 - 0? Biased feckers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The result looks harsh on Tuppet, there isn't that much between the teams. But joga is fortunate that his weakest defender is facing the weakest attacker on the pitch (I love Boniek but he isn't an all-time final material, the same as Gerets) - and I like the balance of his midfield better, as well as some personal favorites in Facchetti, Scirea, Rijkaard, Breitner and Puskas (half of the team, really)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My team is better in every single department than J/G’s team, and this is not some fantasy but is based on facts. These are fachts I present you, no mind games just FACHTS -

1. Seriously who is even Dasayev ? did he even won the Champions league ? Cause Petr Cech did and saved Penalty in final. Tuppet 1 - 0 J/G

2. Victor Andradade won the world cup, but more importantly check out his cool nick name "La Perla Negra" compare this to Gerets, who not only did not win the world cup but what kinda cheesy nick name is "The Lion". Tuppet 2 -0 J/G

3. Passarella & Moore are world cup winning captains, Krol did not even won a world cup and Thuram was far from being a captain. Tuppet 4 - 0 J/G

4. Maldini was selected as defender in FIFA world cup dream team, the first defender to ever got shortlisted for FIFA world player of the year where he came second. Facchetti isn't even comparable to San Paolo, nobody even called him San Facchetti. Tuppet 5 - 0 J/G

5. Neeskens was the star of two of the best teams to have reached the world cup final and not won it. Scirea couldn't even manage to lose one. Tuppet 6 -0 J/G

6. Matthuas lead his team to world cup final and get himself substituted at 80th minute of CL final to hear crowd applause and led to United Treble. Rijkaard did not lead his team to world cup final and get himself substituted at 80th minute of CL final to hear crowd applause and led to United Treble.
Tuppet 7 - 0 J/G

7. Boniek was called “il bello di notte” because he was awesome and was the greatest Polish player of all time. Brietner isn't even Polish. Tuppet 8 - 0 J/G

8. Garrincha won golden ball and golden boot in a world cup and lost his virginity by shagging a goat and run over his own father while driving car, AFAIK Puskas did none of these things. Tuppet 9-0 J/G

9. Gerd Muller is the greatest German Striker, is Ronaldo the greatest German striker. NO!! Tuppet 10 - 0 J/G

10. Di Stefano scored in 5 champions league final and won Ballon D’or. Maradona did not scored in 5 champions league final and won Ballon D’or. Tuppet 11 - 0 J/G

:lol: Good one

Tuppet

That was some serious drafting though from Joga & Gio, very well played guys. I got stuck in QF with Maldini who blocks literally every single player I wanted. Congratulations @Joga Bonito @Gio

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Tuppet 7 - 0 J/G

:lol:

That was some serious drafting though from Joga & Gio, very well played guys. I got stuck in QF with Maldini who blocks literally every single player I wanted. Congratulations @Joga Bonito @Gio
It's not over yet mate.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So finally the side looks great with a number 9, eh? :rolleyes:
Reckon the fat boy is just about an ideal reinforcement for 'em.

Puskas in his pre-Real incarnation, more of an inside forward, competent passer and such, but first and foremost an insane finisher, working that left channel – and the fat boy as the true line leader, just playing his most natural game.

He's ideal (or almost) in the sense that he 1) works very well with Maradona setting him up (he'd be the main target for Maradona, his insane speed and power enabling him to get into all sorts of positions); 2) is capable of working almost entirely independently of said Maradona if and when the latter gets shut down by Lothar/Neeskens; and 3) is a brilliant partner/foil for Puskas: He drags markers all over the place, while Puskas (the slim fatboy, or Fatboy Slim) becomes, absurdly, the one who flies a bit under the radar. And you don't want him flying a bit under the radar. That's the end, not picking him up on your radar.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
CRonaldo would be a massive upgrade to Boniek.
Aye, that's who I thought he should have gone for.

Doesn't get much better than C Ronaldo and Garrincha in terms of limiting the opposition fullbacks going forward, which would have been an issue for Joga given the lack of width in his team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Aye, that's who I thought he should have gone for.

Doesn't get much better than C Ronaldo and Garrincha in terms of limiting the opposition fullbacks going forward, which would have been an issue for Joga given the lack of width in his team.
Yup. ANd also adding more firepower against a compact defense.

diarm

Loved Team Joga/Gio in the semi final but thought their opponent just had the edge there. Here there is no such doubt - perfectly set up and absolutely lethal in attack. Joga/Gio to win by 4-2 against a superb Tuppet side.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dang...I really love Tuppet's team, overall, but against Joga/Gio, Tuppet really needed a proper anchor man to limit spaces for J/G's attacking players to exploit whilst di Stefano and Matthäus would close down the players and choke out J/G's midfield. That Maradona advantage (once again) is quite telling, though this time it's not because of Maradona himself but because of the spaces he can create for Puskas/O Fenômeno who can then isolate the opposition defenders, particularly on the counter. As great as Tuppet's side is (and believe me, it's worth :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: out of :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:), that Maradona factor is really telling with no dedicated anchor man closing down the spaces.

You look at that Mourinho did when he played against Barcelona, and he always had an anchor man closing down spaces in the final third (most famous being Pepe against Messi). Tuppet needed that to nullify the Maradona advantage, but sadly, this game is all about the fine margins, and I think Joga/Gio have that slight advantage that will help them win this game.

Sorry @Tuppet, I really, really love your side as well, and if you had a proper solid anchor man, I'd have gone for you here. :(

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Tuppet has a great side but Joga/Gio's is fantastically constructed and I reckon would win by two.

Out of interest what do we reckon was the greatest ever draft team? Joga/Gio's surely must be up there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I still think Cutch's was better. :wenger:
I voted for Cutch as well. But that was probably because the other manager was acting the total cnut throughout.

In fairness, there are probably too many cooks in that kitchen - the Kaiser, Diego and Pele all in the same channel of the park.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Congrats @Joga Bonito. I'll admit I was not a buffon of your team, but that still was a stellar performance. Great job and deserved victory.
Freudian slip. :wenger:

But anyways, I'll say it again. I really, really, really love Tuppet's team here, and if he faced anyone else, he would have won. However, Joga/Gio's team was near perfect. Replace Gerets with a better right back, and he'd have the best draft team ever on any Internet site.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thanks guys.

Congrats @Joga Bonito. I'll admit I was not a buffon of your team, but that still was a stellar performance. Great job and deserved victory.
Keep the brainfarts coming Edgar :lol:.

Not particularly a fan of the 3-5-2 either but it did seem the optimal set-up for Maradona and we did our best to minimise its defects and maximise its positives.

Commiserations @Tuppet. Really loved your team, esp since you managed to build a great and cohesive unit around di Stefano, esp with Der Bomber ahead of him which is such a brilliant partership :drool:. As many others have stated, the scoreline is far too harsh and in reality it will be a close game, either way, with a 1 goal margin or 2 at best.

Last edited: