Television Black Mirror | Season 6 out June 15th

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd actually like to see a spinoff series of positive ones, maybe a couple of comedy episodes thrown in. If Brooker is running out of ideas it might be a good way of freshening things up too. I know most won't agree though.
Nah that's actually not a bad idea, Brooker's got a knack for writing comedy and it'd be nice to see a more comedic take on certain aspects of technology. Can certainly be done.

Adebesi

Nah that's actually not a bad idea, Brooker's got a knack for writing comedy and it'd be nice to see a more comedic take on certain aspects of technology. Can certainly be done.
Comedy yes, happy clappy no. As a one off it worked but as a series I dont think it would have the same impact.

Could be wrong though. Id certainly watch them.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'd actually like to see a spinoff series of positive ones, maybe a couple of comedy episodes thrown in. If Brooker is running out of ideas it might be a good way of freshening things up too. I know most won't agree though.
Or just watch Inside No9, which is actually currently a slightly stronger dark anthology series on its 4th season, with a lot more comedy in it.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
can anyone give me a must see top 3 episodes?
White Christmas
San Junipero
USS Callister

My favourite 3 I think. Although probably not the best selection for diversity. Substitute Be Right Back and Shut Up and Dance for any of the 2 above if you want some variety.

Mockney

can anyone give me a must see top 3 episodes?
I think you should just watch the first season. They’re all very different and there’s only 3 of them (plus they all usually rank high on most people’s lists anyway)

You’ll definitely know whether you like it by then.

Adebesi

I think you should just watch the first season. They’re all very different and there’s only 3 of them. You’ll definitely know whether you like it by then.
Good shout. I was going to recommend 15 Million Merits and Entire History of You, I would skip The National Anthem personally but some friends of mine loved that one so probably worth watching.

Mockney

Good shout. I was going to recommend 15 Million Merits and Entire History of You, I would skip The National Anthem personally but some friends of mine loved that one so probably worth watching.
Yeah I wouldn’t either. It’s the first one, and is kind of iconic. Especially here in the UK, and especially after...well, you know.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think you should just watch the first season. They’re all very different and there’s only 3 of them (plus they all usually rank high on most people’s lists anyway)

Thing is Ive started on season 4 on Netflix. I will go back and watch the Channel 4 ones first.

Mockney

Thing is Ive started on season 4 on Netflix. I will go back and watch the Channel 4 ones first.
It doesn’t really matter, but of the Netflix ones, I’d say only Hatred In The Nation, San Junipero and Callister are essential viewing, and all of them are quite long (two are basically feature length) and I’m not sure they give you a representative view of what most of BM is actually like.

Whereas all of the C4 ones, bar The Waldo Moment, are essential IMO. They’re also shorter, and a lot more representative of the general tone.

Adebesi

It doesn’t really matter, but of the Netflix ones, I’d say only Hatred In The Nation, San Junipero and Callister are essential viewing, and all of them are quite long (two are basically feature length) and I’m not sure they give you a representative view of what most of BM is actually like.

Whereas all of the C4 ones, bar The Waldo Moment, are essential IMO. They’re also shorter, and a lot more representative of the general tone.
Interesting philosophical question. Or just outright pedantry. You decide.

But given there are 12 Netflix episodes and only 7 C4 ones, can you really say that? What "most BM are like" or "more representative of the general tone"?

Surely series 3 and 4 actually set the tone for what most of them are like, just by force of numbers?

Maybe you are getting more at what the essence of BM used to be, or what BM is at its best, or what BM should be?

Or simply, series 1 and 2 are better?

Mockney

Interesting philosophical question. Or just outright pedantry. You decide.

But given there are 12 Netflix episodes and only 7 C4 ones, can you really say that? What "most BM are like" or "more representative of the general tone"?

Surely series 3 and 4 actually set the tone for what most of them are like, just by force of numbers?

Maybe you are getting more at what the essence of BM used to be, or what BM is at its best, or what BM should be?

Or simply, series 1 and 2 are better?
I probably do have an inherent bias towards the earlier eps, as I watched them in real time, and felt the immediate cultural reaction to them.

However I was more kinda referring to those particular episodes (the seemingly most well liked of the Netflix era) and how they differ in tone from the majority. I mean, San Junipero and USS Callister, for example, are two of only maybe 3 eps in the whole series to...

have an upbeat happy ending

And so if you’re watching them first, you might get a different idea of what the show is generally like. You’re much better off watching Arkangel or Shut Up and Dance, which are newer but nevertheless very representative. But then I’d personally recommend watching Entire History of You and White Bear instead, as I think they’re the better riffs on similar themes anyway. (but then that could be ‘cos I saw them first?)

Last edited:

Number1

I only started Black Mirror last year, remember watching the first one (National Anthem) and afterwards i was like wtf have i just watched? :nervous: And never bothered watching the rest until 6 months later.

After watching S1, E2 though i was hooked and watched 1 a night afterwards and timed it right so S4 was ready after i finished S3, Black Mirror is one of my favorite shows, but National Anthem shouldn't be first episode people watch to see if they like the show or not.

Number1

White Christmas
San Junipero
USS Callister

My favourite 3 I think. Although probably not the best selection for diversity. Substitute Be Right Back and Shut Up and Dance for any of the 2 above if you want some variety.
Not a bad shout, my top 3 is:-

San Junipero
White Christmas
Fifteen Million Merits

Those 3 had the most effect on me where i was thinking about it the next day, Fifteen Million Merits was great TV, had a whole Clockwork Orange feel to it.

Edit:- Thanks @ADJUDICATOR

Last edited:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Not a bad shout, my top 3 is:-

San Junipero
White Christmas
50 Million Merits

Those 3 had the most effect on me where i was thinking about it the next day, 50 Million Merits was great TV, had a whole Clockwork Orange feel to it.
Fifteen Million Merits btw.

Mockney

I only started Black Mirror last year, remember watching the first one (National Anthem) and afterwards i was like wtf have i just watched? :nervous: And never bothered watching the rest until 6 months later.

After watching S1, E2 though i was hooked and watched 1 a night afterwards and timed it right so S4 was ready after i finished S3, Black Mirror is one of my favorite shows, but National Anthem shouldn't be first episode people watch to see if they like the show or not.
See, I adore the National Anthem (and conversely find San Junipero a bit meh) I think it’s one of the best things the shows ever done, both in terms of satirical point and visceral impact, but I can completely see how it would turn people off. But then, I also feel that’s kind of the point. It set the tone for a show that could and would go anywhere.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm still recovering from the effects of watching SE1 EP1 'National Anthem'. Amazing episode of TV.. but not sure if its the sort of show I could binge watch.

Mockney

I'm still recovering from the effects of watching SE1 EP1 'National Anthem'. Amazing episode of TV.. but not sure if its the sort of show I could binge watch.
This has been brought up a lot too, and I think it’s a decent point. Watching the original eps with a week inbetween them allowed for a lot more reflection and certainly made them feel bigger and more important.

Binging them kind of helps the lesser ones get a bit lost in the mire and feel more disposable than they otherwise might. “Recovering from it” is exactly how you should feel after a good ep of BM IMO.

Mockney

They stagger shows that also have a TV release, like Better Call Saul, but they’re co-produced (in fact may even just be licensed)

Number1

Anyone watched Electric Dreams?

Recommend that if you like Black Mirror, Impossible Planet was probably my favorite episode I've seen so far.

Channel 4 have only shown the first 5 episodes, so still waiting to see the other 5.

Adebesi

Anyone watched Electric Dreams?

Recommend that if you like Black Mirror, Impossible Planet was probably my favorite episode I've seen so far.

Channel 4 have only shown the first 5 episodes, so still waiting to see the other 5.
Im going to check this out as well.

Two recommendations for shows similar to Black Mirror. Not bad for a day's work.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think I've worked out why I've started struggling to watch the episodes in one sitting. The stories are sometimes not that entertaining until stuff gets tied together near the end. That's why I enjoyed USS Callister. The story is fun all the way through. It's good to have the 'woah, so that's what was happening' moments, but my lack of patience these days gets the better of me sometimes and I have to pause it and come back.

Andy_Cole

Still find it bizarre how everyone has such different opinions on each episode. Probably what makes the show so great.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Finally finished the latest season. My order is:

1. Black Museum
2. Hang The DJ
3. USS Callister
4. Metalhead
5. Crocodile
6. Arkangel

I really like 1&2, 3 was ok, thought 4 was good genre piece but not fitting to black mirror and 5&6 were pure trash.

The season as a whole felt like a dip from previous seasons, with the concepts and technologies becoming repetitive, might be time for Charlie Brooker to bring some writers on board or make less episodes.

Kapardin

Here's my top 5 from all seasons:

1) The National Anthem.
2) Black Museum.
3) USS Callister.
4) White Christmas.
5) Shut Up and Dance.

I hope there is a season 5. Was great TV.

iKnowNothing

Just finished Ep1 of the latest season USS Callister. Seemed unlike other episodes of the show. The episode didn't get me hooked -found myself waning in and out of the episode - even checked my phone a couple of items.

Hopefully the next episodes are much better.

Number1

Just finished Ep1 of the latest season USS Callister. Seemed unlike other episodes of the show. The episode didn't get me hooked -found myself waning in and out of the episode - even checked my phone a couple of items.

Yeah i was like that with USS Callister, i liked the whole concept of it. It just seemed like it tried to be a movie at times, great cast and would guess was the episode with the biggest budget but something seemed to be missing.

I was like with a lot of season 5 though other than Hang The DJ.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

I think hang the DJ and black museum stand out in the current season. Everything else ranged from average (USS & Metalhead) to shit (Crocodile & Arkangel)

TheBest

SPNTBP
Just finished white bear. Wow. This one kinda hit deep. I need time to recover, before I watch the next episode. Jesus what an amazing show.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm late to the Black Mirror party, but I'm totally on it now.

Except it's not a party at all. I watch 2 or 3 at a time and then I can't feel feelings anymore. Bleak as feck. The acting from the kid in Shut Up and Dance is just crazy good. Such a great episode.

Also, the plot from Black Museum was swiped straight from an episode of The Ricky Gervais Show. Karl rambled about the fictitious possibility of both feeling someone elses pain and having someone elses consciousness in your head in the same episode. Brooker owes Karl some money.

Dan

Also, the plot from Black Museum was swiped straight from an episode of The Ricky Gervais Show. Karl rambled about the fictitious possibility of both feeling someone elses pain and having someone elses consciousness in your head in the same episode. Brooker owes Karl some money.
Nope, Penn Jillette wrote it in the early 80s.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nope, Penn Jillette wrote it in the early 80s.
Yeah I read about that after posting. Wasn't aware of it. Now it seems even more odd Karl mentioned both ideas in an episode and got laughed at, and continues to fuel my suspicion that Karl Pilkington isn't 100% unscripted as Gervais keeps claiming he is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I didn't like this season as much as season 3 which I felt had very strong episodes throughout. The problem was in most of the episodes, the issues the episodes were focused on for the most part actually feel quite far off and almost unimaginable. Robotic killer dogs for example just feels too far-fetched. Maybe these will be better in a few years time, I read that many people disliked The Waldo Moment but it actually turned out to be an allegory for Trump three and a half years before the fact.

kthanksbye

Finished watching S4 E4, underwhelming so far. Arkangel is the only one that has a BM flavour to it, the other episodes aren't up to the mark.

Hope the last two are good.