Blackburn - Man United U18

lysglimt

Scout
Blackburn - Man United

Line up: Myles - Amass, Munro, Jackson, Devaney - Tyler Fletcher, Curley, Fitzgerald - Musa, Biancheri, Sharpe

Subs: Ogunneye, Missin, Murdock, Nolan and Baumann

We are playing Blackburn who are near the bottom of the table with 7 points in 7 matches. They started the season quite well with 4 points from the first 2 games - but after that it's been a win against Stoke and 5 defeats, including 0-6 against City and 3 goal defeats against Newcastle, Spurs and Derby.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Penalty United after 2 mins. Musa has his heels clipped - and he takes the penalty himself. Keeper goes the wrong way. 1-0 MUSA (3)

lysglimt

Scout
Amazing start - Blackburn could have scored after 15 seconds - and could have equalized just a minute after United scored, but the ball went just wide

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I always thought keeper handling the ball out the box was an automatic red.

lysglimt

Scout
I always thought keeper handling the ball out the box was an automatic red.
Nope - you have to take away a goalscoring opportunity for it to be red. So if a keeper grabs the ball inside and glides out, it should not be red.

lysglimt

Scout
Blackburn alone with the Myles, goes around the keeper but hits the post

lysglimt

Scout
After a frantic first 7-8 minutes, the match has turned into a fairly boring affair with both teams just creating one chance each in the last 25 minutes.

lysglimt

Scout
63 minutes - 2 subs for United- Missin and Ogunneye on for Sharpe and Curley

lysglimt

Scout
Musa with a decent chance - but keeper saves for a corner. Musa has been one of our best players today.

lysglimt

Scout
Musa is played through - got a heavy touch but managed to get it past the keeper. And from a tight angle he managed to get it into the goal off the post. 2-0 Musa.

2 defenders both cover the near post and the ball rolls behind them into the goal - very strange

lysglimt

Scout
0-3 Victor Musa (80) - Hat-trick Musa. Poor pass from the keeper, Fitzgerald shoots, the keeper saves but it falls to Musa who has an empty net to aim at.

Demaw

Is it me or do you get the feeling this is a great "team" but don't see hardly anyone progressing? Maybe Lacey and Amass? Other years we haven't been as good as a team but you could see a few of them too good for this age group.

VDG17

Its the first I have really seen of Fletcher but he's a really good size with a nice touch. Some obvious promise there for me.

Remember the geese

Its the first I have really seen of Fletcher but he's a really good size with a nice touch. Some obvious promise there for me.
Jack Fletcher surely must be the bigger talent of the two? He has looked very promising from what I've seen so far. Need to see more of Tyler.

khoazany

Is it me or do you get the feeling this is a great "team" but don't see hardly anyone progressing? Maybe Lacey and Amass? Other years we haven't been as good as a team but you could see a few of them too good for this age group.
Most of this "team" are first year U18s so probably that's why. The second year group is a bit weird whereby the best players are either missed a lot of actions through injuries (Curley, Ogunneye, McAllister, Moorhouse, Missin, Sharpe) or defenders/GK. Harrison, Williams and Nolan are already with the U21s almost full time, coincidentally are also the players with the cleanest injury bill.

khoazany

Yeah both of the Fletchers have a good physical profile (strong, tall whilst still agile enough) to go along with their technique. Seems we are intentionally not playing them together at the moment. They certainly can though, Jack is left-footed and Tyler is right-footed iirc and Tyler looks more defensive out of the two.

dutchred

Demaw said:

I think that Amass is already better than any left back we have (Shaw excluded)

VDG17

Jack Fletcher surely must be the bigger talent of the two? He has looked very promising from what I've seen so far. Need to see more of Tyler.
That might be true although both times we've had twins so far I think the lesser rated of the two has gone on to be the better player(Rafael and Michael Keane).

Sea-Cow

Demaw said:

Would you say he's a better leftback than Alvaro Fernandez? I thought he was doing ok this season in Spain, but I could be wrong.

dutchred

Would you say he's a better leftback than Alvaro Fernandez? I thought he was doing ok this season in Spain, but I could be wrong.
I think Fernandez lacks pace to be a full back. His best position may eventually be as a Left Center Back

Borninthe80ts

Didn’t watch the game but glad that Musa got the goals. Feel it’ll boost his confidence an the type of goals scored are what he needed more of for me.

I wouldn’t say this group has any visual indications that they will struggle to progress. As was stated there are two groups and the second years are finally getting a chance to show their worth. The first years have a lot of interesting players who could jump to the under 21s before the end of the season.

I would say previous years crops have had one or two who stood out against maybe lesser teammates where as this years under 18s all round level is higher. It’s only been 3 months though so to soon to be definitive.

AltiUn

Think it’ll be the same story as pretty much any group we’ve ever had in the academy, maybe 1 or 2 will make it with a few more making it in the PL and most having relatively respectable careers in the football leagues.

lysglimt

Scout
First of all, the team that started against Blackburn was close to a B-side at this level - and second of all - many of the ones who played are really young. Munro, Amass, Devaney, Fletcher, Baumann and Fitzgerald are only 16, and a few others recently turned 17

The following players did not start against Blackburn - Harrison, Moorhouse, McAllister, Missin, Lacey, Kingdon, Nolan, Scanlon, Jack Fletcher, Williams and Wheatley - 7-8 of those players would normally start if we field our strongest team. When did we last play something close to a B-side at this level, and win convincingly ?

And yes, this is a great team - but there are some potentially great players here as well. Amass, Lacey, Missin, McAllister, Williams, both Fletchers, Harrison to name some of them

lysglimt

Scout
And this must be a new record:

U18 12.8: Middlesbrough 4-0 (A) Nolan (pen), Munro, Williams, Jackson
U18 26.8: Stoke 4-1 (H) Moorhouse, Scanlon 2, Biancheri (pen)
U18 16.9: Nottingham Forest 2-1 (H) Kingdon, Musa
U18 23.9: Sunderland 3-2 (A) Musa, Missin, McAllister
U18 30.9: Newcastle 5-1 (H) Curley 2, Lacey 2, Wheatley (pen)
U18 7.10: Derby 3-1 (H) Wheatley (pen), McAllister, Sharpe
U18 28.10: Leeds 6-0 (A) Fitzgerald, Sharpe 2, Fletcher, Wheatley, Amass
U18 11.11, Blackburn 3-0 (A) Musa 3

17 different goalscorers in the league, in just 8 matches.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Everyone knows that not everyone will make it, but I am really optimistic about this group. In fact, I look forward to watching them as much as the Senior side. And in 5 years time, I look forward to seeing who will be in the 1st team from this group. And there's always a " bolter" who comes from nowhere - like Rashford and McTominay. Neither of those looked likely in the Youth sides. (Although there will be someone on here who always knew they'd make it !!)

Ekeke

Demaw said:

Severely disagree

AltiUn

Everyone knows that not everyone will make it, but I am really optimistic about this group. In fact, I look forward to watching them as much as the Senior side. And in 5 years time, I look forward to seeing who will be in the 1st team from this group. And there's always a " bolter" who comes from nowhere - like Rashford and McTominay. Neither of those looked likely in the Youth sides. (Although there will be someone on here who always knew they'd make it !!)
Rashford doesn't really belong with McTominay, he was well rated but not considered a sure thing, McTominay on the other hand had absolutely no business getting promoted.

stealthy

I think you have to be careful assuming players excelling currently within a strong group have the potential to be first team regulars at a club hopefully back amongst Europe’s elite. Often the early developers excel at U18 and even U21, however the gap is huge and if they are 90% plus up their development curve it’s going to be a tough transition. This group is more mature and experienced than previous groups and It’s those with lots of development left in them that are often the ones to watch, I think that’s what makes Lacey an interesting project. PL North also looks to have only United and City out front and racking up huge goal differences, with Liverpool possibly thereabouts and then a big gap in quality, often due to clubs promoting early to U21.

I think FA youth cup and UYL will be a better benchmark when other big clubs put out their best U18 sides and we will really see the level

Sea-Cow

Severely disagree
Who do you reckon is better? Not in an argumentative way, but actually curious your thoughts!

I like Alvaro Fernandez but I agree that he might be a little too Daly Blind to make it in the Prem as a left-back isolated in 1v1s against extremely quick wingers. But he's a very good footballer!

dutchred

Who do you reckon is better? Not in an argumentative way, but actually curious your thoughts!

I like Alvaro Fernandez but I agree that he might be a little too Daly Blind to make it in the Prem as a left-back isolated in 1v1s against extremely quick wingers. But he's a very good footballer!
I am also curious to know whom he thinks is better, like you I think Alvarez will be better at LCB not left back due to lack of pace not ability

Ekeke

We'll be extremely lucky if Amass is better than Reguilon when he's 26 let alone now and Malacia started well last season. Pretty sure he'd struggle against men in the first team. I think he's fine at his current level but may not be good enough for the premier league. As for Alvaro he's currently being used as a left winger at Granada for his last 2 starts and left back the match before that starting against Barcelona. Defending is not his strong point so it doesnt surprise me that he gets pushed further forward than playing as a CB.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
We'll be extremely lucky if Amass is better than Reguilon when he's 26 let alone now and Malacia started well last season. Pretty sure he'd struggle against men in the first team. I think he's fine at his current level but may not be good enough for the premier league. As for Alvaro he's currently being used as a left winger at Granada for his last 2 starts and left back the match before that starting against Barcelona. Defending is not his strong point so it doesnt surprise me that he gets pushed further forward than playing as a CB.
Apparently he has been called up for the Senior Spanish squad.

Sea-Cow

Fair enough. I think Reguilon can be a really good player and I would be happy if we made his loan permanent. I would much rather have Reguilon as a back-up to Shaw than Malacia.

I have nothing against Malacia, I just don't think he is that great. And hopefully Amass can progress and fulfill his potential to the fullest!