Television Bloodmoon - CANCELLED

Revan

Assumptionman
Would have always been hard to pull off a TV show which takes place in hundreds if not thousands of years. Also, the source material contained almost nothing, and to be fair, I don't know if I wanted to see the myths of ASOIAF actually take place. For me it was always that most of the myths are just myths, so I didn't want to see Bran the builder build the wall and so on.

I also think that LotR show will have a similar problem, unless it is focused over only a few years (or a couple of decades). Good luck making a show for the entire second era.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Obviously looking forward to this. I honestly just want to be back in George's world again. Expecting the first season to be slightly shrouded by the original series but I hope it pulls a Better Call Saul and becomes its own thing once the characters are established. Don't much see the point of them focusing on the White Walkers myself, now we know how their story ends - would honestly prefer them to focus on Essos given how much of its history was essentially erased from Game of Thrones (maybe Valyria?) - but I'll take anything from this universe and drink the fecking Kool Aid.
Well, I got what I wanted. House of the Dragon it is.

Sylar

Doesnt the Targs have a similar issue since the last of the Targs get wiped in GoT (and Jon remaining a Snow?)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
See if the last season didn't explain anything because HBO wanted material for this thing? I'll be proper pissed

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Doesnt the Targs have a similar issue since the last of the Targs get wiped in GoT (and Jon remaining a Snow?)
I suppose I don't care about the origins of the White Walkers in the same way as other people, so that definitely helps. They were expressionless, one-dimensional demons who were created for one task: destroy Westeros. They were robots with one mission and they failed. We saw how they were created by the Children of the Forest, we know about the Pact and the War for the Dawn and how they were defeated the first time. Thinking about it, having another show with essentially the same general plot as the original story would have been a waste of time. It would just be another show that built to another battle with the Army of the Dead.

At least a show about the Targaryens' history would give us a good chance to watch real people live out their lives and make hard decisions. We have a chance to watch a family tear itself apart because of how much they're hellbent on power and greed. Over the course of 300 years they go from being the most powerful family in the world, with the ability to bring super-weapons to heel, to a shell of themselves with a hideously unpopular madman for a leader. I wonder if an anthology series would be a good way to do this, with each series dropping in at various points. I don't see how you make the White Walkers that interesting.

Obviously I'm talking in massive hypothetical scenarios here, but say it manages to reach a 6th season by 2025, we could have a season per section of Fire and Blood or something. Season one would look at Aegon's conquest, season two at Aegon's reign, season three at his sons, etc. Sort of like how The Crown has set itself up to cover different eras of history. It might mean eighteen month gaps between seasons but it would be easy enough to keep a thematic throughline as we watch a family destroy itself because having everything still wasn't enough. Again, I don't see how you make a story about the White Walkers anywhere near as interesting.

Revan

Assumptionman
I suppose I don't care about the origins of the White Walkers in the same way as other people, so that definitely helps. They were expressionless, one-dimensional demons who were created for one task: destroy Westeros. They were robots with one mission and they failed. We saw how they were created by the Children of the Forest, we know about the Pact and the War for the Dawn and how they were defeated the first time. Thinking about it, having another show with essentially the same general plot as the original story would have been a waste of time. It would just be another show that built to another battle with the Army of the Dead.

At least a show about the Targaryens' history would give us a good chance to watch real people live out their lives and make hard decisions. We have a chance to watch a family tear itself apart because of how much they're hellbent on power and greed. Over the course of 300 years they go from being the most powerful family in the world, with the ability to bring super-weapons to heel, to a shell of themselves with a hideously unpopular madman for a leader. I wonder if an anthology series would be a good way to do this, with each series dropping in at various points. I don't see how you make the White Walkers that interesting.

Obviously I'm talking in massive hypothetical scenarios here, but say it manages to reach a 6th season by 2025, we could have a season per section of Fire and Blood or something. Season one would look at Aegon's conquest, season two at Aegon's reign, season three at his sons, etc. Sort of like how The Crown has set itself up to cover different eras of history. It might mean eighteen month gaps between seasons but it would be easy enough to keep a thematic throughline as we watch a family destroy itself because having everything still wasn't enough. Again, I don't see how you make a story about the White Walkers anywhere near as interesting.
Not sure how a good idea that is. Essentially, every season showing a different story, with different characters. It can work (True Detective, Fargo), but it can also fail and the viewers might lose interest fast.

Would probably prefer just Aegon's story (a lot of source material, and you can add much stuff there). I mean, I would have preferred a TV show taking place in Old Valyria but I don't see it ever happening cause of budget reasons. But would be fun to watch the battle of 300 dragons.

starman

:nono: So HBO put their foot down for something they didn't like and but don't do it for season 8 which rushed the ending even though they wanted 10 seasons :rolleyes:

Sylar

:nono: So HBO put their foot down for something they didn't like and but don't do it for season 8 which rushed the ending even though they wanted 10 seasons :rolleyes:
Esp since GoT pilot ep wasnt liked at all, but HBO went ahead with it and had recasts/reshoots and all that.

Or maybe HBO learnt from s8? Who knows.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Honestly think had it have gone the full 10 seasons it would have been up there as one of greatest shows ever.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I think the last few posts shows a severe lack of understanding of how TV shows are made.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I think the last few posts shows a severe lack of understanding of how TV shows are made.
Don't talk soft! Nobody on the Internet would ever fancy themselves as a better show-runner/script-writer than someone who actually did it as a job!

(:lol:)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I kinda thought a prequel would be fun when this was announced, if only to wash the taste of shit out of my mouth that the two clowns left with the worst final season of anything ever.

But nah, now I think about it, all enthusiasm for the whole universe just killed. Thanks D&D you pair of prize pillocks.

They should hire those two out to kill franchises which should probably die. No doubt if they got hold of Star Wars they would have ruined that for everyone too.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I kinda thought a prequel would be fun when this was announced, if only to wash the taste of shit out of my mouth that the two clowns left with the worst final season of anything ever.

But nah, now I think about it, all enthusiasm for the whole universe just killed. Thanks D&D you pair of prize pillocks.

They should hire those two out to kill franchises which should probably die. No doubt if they got hold of Star Wars they would have ruined that for everyone too.
Think that's my feeling too. The end was just so rushed it's taken any interest I have from that world away for good now. I doubt I will even rewatch the final series. Maybe I will once but maybe not.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Think that's my feeling too. The end was just so rushed it's taken any interest I have from that world away for good now. I doubt I will even rewatch the final series. Maybe I will once but maybe not.

I don’t even wanna watch any of the series again, which is really fecking annoying because it was so good.

The way it all ends honestly just ruined the whole thing for me. Totally the opposite to something like Breaking Bad where when I watch it again, I’m excited to get to the cool final season and see it all end in a satisfying fashion.

D&D better be nowhere near anything I like ever again. Absolute wankers.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Don't talk soft! Nobody on the Internet would ever fancy themselves as a better show-runner/script-writer than someone who actually did it as a job!

Nothing to do with the writing side more with how shows are commissioned and made.

Sylar

Is this the same argument as people who dont cook shouldnt criticise chefs when food is bad?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Is this the same argument as people who dont cook shouldnt criticise chefs when food is bad?
Or (rather fittingly, considering it’s a football forum) the one where you can’t criticise a football managers decisions because he will know far more than you.

Or ‘LETS SEE YOU DO BETTER’ if you point out a player is shit.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Not sure how a good idea that is. Essentially, every season showing a different story, with different characters. It can work (True Detective, Fargo), but it can also fail and the viewers might lose interest fast.

Would probably prefer just Aegon's story (a lot of source material, and you can add much stuff there). I mean, I would have preferred a TV show taking place in Old Valyria but I don't see it ever happening cause of budget reasons. But would be fun to watch the battle of 300 dragons.
I think the problem with focusing solely on Aegon is that his story is kind of dull. There wasn’t much real conflict bar the Dorne stuff and I don’t think that’d make great tv.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Absolutely not. To keep it in the grounds of your chef analogy, I'd say this kind of behaviour towards creators of TV shows/films/music is akin to saying "I could do better than this" (we couldn't) or "I would have done this instead of that" (we wouldn't) when we're served up a meal.

Sylar

Yeah but not many if any on here are saying they would do better. Its mostly just been criticism for how shit the last season is in comparison to every other season.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Yeah but not many if any on here are saying they would do better. Its mostly just been criticism for how shit the last season is in comparison to every other season.
You've moved the goalposts a bit there. That wasn't what @Gambit's original post touched on.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Absolutely not. To keep it in the grounds of your chef analogy, I'd say this kind of behaviour towards creators of TV shows/films/music is akin to saying "I could do better than this" (we couldn't) or "I would have done this instead of that" (we wouldn't) when we're served up a meal.
You're argument sounds like 'they were the ones who made it so they did the best anyone could do'. That's honestly rubbish.

I'll give you a better ending right now:
  • The Night King and the Three Eyed Raven are interconnected in a such a way that Bran must be killed to kill the Night King.
  • The Night King isn't actually trying to kill Bran but simply claim/protect him.
  • Arya's tough decision is actually whether she can bring herself to kill her brother to save the world.
  • Her Faceless training, the point is not the super ninja skills, but the actual point of the Faceless training is for her to remove her emotions to be able to slay her brother
  • Arya kills Bran, Night King is weakened and then have the goddamn Dragon kill the weakened Night King in some Feck Off special effects bonanza of fire and ice metaphors

There I already gave everyone a better ending because no matter who you write to have the Iron Throne now, its better than fecking BrandoSue the Boring

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
You're argument sounds like 'they were the ones who made it so they did the best anyone could do'. That's honestly rubbish.

• The Night King and the Three Eyed Raven are interconnected in a such a way that Bran must be killed to kill the Night King.
  • The Night King isn't actually trying to kill Bran but simply claim/protect him.
  • Arya's tough decision is actually whether she can bring herself to kill her brother to save the world.
  • Her Faceless training, the point is not the super ninja skills, but the actual point of the Faceless training is for her to remove her emotions to be able to slay her brother
  • Arya kills Bran, Night King is weakened and then have the goddamn Dragon kill the weakened Night King in some Feck Off special effects bonanza of fire and ice metaphors

There I already gave everyone a better ending because no matter who you write to have the Iron Throne now, its better than fecking BrandoSue the Boring
But this would be awful. It focuses on precisely three characters when there are tens of them left, you've completely misunderstood the point of Arya's story, and you've misunderstood why the Night King was killed the way he was.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
But this would be awful. It focuses on precisely three characters when there are tens of them left, you've completely misunderstood the point of Arya's story, and you've misunderstood why the Night King was killed the way he was.
As did D&D sadly.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's a silly, silly argument that suggests that educated people are not capable of gross incompetence, or that people are never promoted beyond their abilities, or that the ability to manage and orchestrate a large television production means you are incapable of creative ineptitude, or that because you've made a big money generator on telly that you are artistically credible, or that you can't question Harold Shipman's care giving qualities until you've trained as a doctor and have decades of experience, or if you have never helmed a big TV show you can't question creative decisions, and that my daddy DanD are better than Shakespeare and Homer and the Brontë lot and Rembrandt and Nina Simone because they never did big TV.

Well guess what I've compared late GOT against other art, and I can confidently conclude that my 10 year old niece is a more creative, credible artist than these hacks.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Naw D+D clearly misunderstood the point of Arya's story and the entire point of the lore of the 3 Eyed Raven and Bran's character.

caid

This thread is really confusing if your ignoring microwaves.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

So you want it to have the same ending as Harry Potter?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I already did in my first reply.
You’re wrong though.@sylar was just pointing out that people were posting criticism of season 8, especially in comparison to other seasons. It doesn’t take an Oscar winning writer to realise that it has a very real problem with poor writing.