Bloody Sunday - 50 Year Anniversary

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I only found out a few days ago that Zombie by the Cranberries is about Bloody Sunday. I did some reading up and how horrific. The fact that nobody was reprimanded for it is even more sick.

poleglass red

bit of background more so, for those not fully aware of events back then. The Ballymurphy massacre happened in aug 71, few months before Bloody Sunday. The Ballymurphy massacre was also done by the Para's, over 3 days they shot and killed 10 people in the Ballymurphy estate including a priest and a mother of 8. All victims were innocent people. It was believed that some of the Para's involved in Ballymurphy went to Derry as well. That shooting should have been investigated immediately, 10 innocent victims and the regiment that done it then went straight to Derry and did the same thing. They were above the law then and knew it. Ballymurphy should have been the catalyst that warranted a full investigation into their actions and prevented another massacre. To highlight how bad the situation was then, Springhill the estate right beside Ballymurphy, a few months after bloody sunday, british snipers shot and killed 3 teenagers and a 39 year old man and another priest.

Ballymurphy Massacre (aug 71) - Bloody Sunday (Jan 72) - Springhill massacre (July 72)

Classical Mechanic

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I only found out a few days ago that Zombie by the Cranberries is about Bloody Sunday. I did some reading up and how horrific. The fact that nobody was reprimanded for it is even more sick.
Unreal song but as Classical Mechanic says it was the Warrington bombing in 93 that was the catalyst behind this release a year later. A lot of the video is featuring murals in Belfast I think. Cranberries were so good but for another thread

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
U2's Bloody Sunday was primarily written about events of that day but also about the troubles in general. Probably the most memorable performance of the song, included on Rattle and Hum, was in Denver in November 1987 just after the Enniskillen Remembrance Day bombing. The serve that Bono gave to Irish American's supporting paramilitaries in the middle of the song makes the already emotional delivery even more memorable.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It makes me proud that this is commemorated on the red cafe.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
U2's Bloody Sunday was primarily written about events of that day but also about the troubles in general. Probably the most memorable performance of the song, included on Rattle and Hum, was in Denver in November 1987 just after the Enniskillen Remembrance Day bombing. The serve that Bono gave to Irish American's supporting paramilitaries in the middle of the song makes the already emotional delivery even more memorable.
I love U2 as well and I listened to these songs not knowing what they truly represented. When I did find out what was behind it all, it ultimately had a whole new meaning and hits differently.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I seem to remember the 2002 film Bloody Sunday was well worth watching. I think there was another TV film about the same time called Sunday that I haven't seen.

I always find talk of such events interesting, confronting and emotional as my wife is from Northern Ireland (Belfast and Derry) and who had close family murdered in the troubles. I remember how odd it was when I started to visit NI during the 80s and discovering how different the reality was to how things were reported in the UK.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I seem to remember the 2002 film Bloody Sunday was well worth watching. I think there was another TV film about the same time called Sunday that I haven't seen.

I always find talk of such events interesting, confronting and emotional as my wife is from Northern Ireland (Belfast and Derry) and who had close family murdered in the troubles. I remember how odd it was when I started to visit NI during the 80s and discovering how different the reality was to how things were reported in the UK.
British citizens in the eyes of the law gunned down by British soldiers who went unpunished for 50 years. This would be big news everywhere else but its a testament to how well Britain curates its own history and pulls the wool over the worlds eyes about its past deeds. Can you imagine if Australia was still British controlled and they should 14 people dead on the streets of Melbourne and nothing was done about it?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
People wee
the lack of posts on this thread, and well done to Elvis for making it, is all you need to know about the apathy towards those murdered unfortunately.
The issue of what those criminals did and subsequent events is too hot for this forum. Murder pure and simple.

RIP to the 14 but after this amount of time they will never get justice. :(

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
British citizens in the eyes of the law gunned down by British soldiers who went unpunished for 50 years. This would be big news everywhere else but its a testament to how well Britain curates its own history and pulls the wool over the worlds eyes about its past deeds. Can you imagine if Australia was still British controlled and they should 14 people dead on the streets of Melbourne and nothing was done about it?
To be be fair Australia has a shocking record of treatment of Australian First Nation people, often resulting in death in custody.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
People wee

The issue of what those criminals did and subsequent events is too hot for this forum. Murder pure and simple.

RIP to the 14 but after this amount of time they will never get justice. :(
The apathy towards the murder and mayhem in NI shocked me to my core, particularly after I started visiting in the 80's. A national disgrace that we should be forever ashamed of.