Board vs Jose

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't understand why people say either back him or sack him, as if that's the only 2 options available.
Because if the Board don’t back him then the likelihood is a “meltdown season” with us finishing mid table and Jose getting sacked in the process

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jose would never resign because he would lose out on a huge payout, it would be stupid. Also, if the club gets fecked or achieves nothing, it wouldn't do anything to him as he could just leave and go to his next destination.

You're right, I don't doubt they're trying but I find it hard to believe every single alternative is coming at unreasonable prices. Also, Liverpool paid 50m for whats his face only a few months ago, the market has changed. Either we adapt or get left behind. Players aren't cheap anymore and bar finding a gem (eg. bailly etc.) you're going to need to spend money.
Jose's reputation is already in tatters. He was sacked from his last 2 jobs, Chelsea was just lowest of low for him. ManUtd was his choice to build his reputation, if he fails here then I don't see any big clubs going for him, unless Inter wants him back.

Womp

idiot
Jose's reputation is already in tatters. He was sacked from his last 2 jobs, Chelsea was just lowest of low for him. ManUtd was his choice to build his reputation, if he fails here then I don't see any big clubs going for him, unless Inter wants him back.
He will find a club easily. He got hounded out of Madrid and went back to Chelsea. Nearly got Chelsea relegated and managed to get United. If he leaves here maybe not the top tier, but teams would still be interested. That being said, I don't care what happens to him after he leaves here. Once he leaves United where he goes is of no concern to me, but whilst he is here, I don't see the point of keeping him around for the reasons I stated above.

Infra-red

Flicking through this morning's papers... bloody hell! Looks like Woodward has done a preemptive strike here - hard to see Mourinho surviving this season now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If all else fails, I'm sure the entire MLS, Middle East and Asia are willing to offer him 7 figure contracts.

Hell, he'll get plenty of work in Europe too. Rumors are even Frank de (fecking) Boer found a new club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looks like board have being briefing that Money is not a problem.

Woziak

Transfer activity seems to be the main issue between Jose and the board and due to the circumstances of a shortened window and players returning late from a World Cup, you have to feel some form of sympathy for Jose, however he doesn't need to throw young players under a bus or portray this constant dour demeanour in press conferences.

Look, we get it, most major transfers should have been done by now especially with the obvious need to let players go and balance the books. If Toby Auderweireld or Harry Maguire would have been signed for the club, they still would not have joined the squad until next week, thus having little time to bed in before the season starts on the 9th August!

The same applies to Perisic, or Willian and many other of our targets, the real problem here is Woodward's constant obsession with Gareth Bale, season in season out that has significantly backfired! The real question is why, when the team finished second last year but lacked that final sprinkle of stardust to overtake City did the club not go for a 33 year old Ronaldo who was clearly available and more importantly available early within the window. Just imagine the lift and momentum the club would have got by signing Ronaldo and shirt sales alone would have paid the fee! We were more than happy to sign 34 year Zlatan, why not one of the best players to ever play the game. The reason was clear as day, we alienated Ronaldo by chasing the pipe dream of Gareth Bale and here we are, in the last 11 days of the window trying to fix a desperate situation.

Do I Blaim Jose? Certainly not for the transfer fiasco of this window but for his behaviour to the young players within the squad yes, but maybe just maybe he has good reason to feel the way he does having shared the same agent with Ronaldo and extending olive branch after olive branch during the World Cup, only to see Woodward do what Woodward does best and go after a transfer pipe dream and potentially destabilise the good work done in the last 2 seasons!

We can always appoint plenty of new Managers, United are a huge worldwide draw but if the next one turns out to be the 5th in 7 years, we have become everything we used to criticise other clubs for being, unstable, knee jerk and never giving the Manager a chance to build a team. I'm not in love with Jose's football, far from it, but I genuinely believe Ed Woodward is a much bigger problem in the grand scheme of things and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as David Gill!

Greck

I don't understand why people say either back him or sack him, as if that's the only 2 options available.
We seem to have reached an impasse where the board obviously have to choose if they want to fully buy into his methods or not. The previous approach of trying to get him to find a middle ground seems to be causing frustrations.

Personally am not a fan of buying into his ways but the board seem to have chosen to retain him without a clue of the implications

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
the real problem here is Woodward's constant obsession with Gareth Bale, season in season out that has significantly backfired! The real question is why, when the team finished second last year but lacked that final sprinkle of stardust to overtake City did the club not go for a 33 year old Ronaldo who was clearly available and more importantly available early within the window. Just imagine the lift and momentum the club would have got by signing Ronaldo and shirt sales alone would have paid the fee! We were more than happy to sign 34 year old Zlatan!
Few things:

1) We have no idea if Woodward is obsessed with Gareth Bale, and whether or not that has had any impact on our transfer activity thus far.

2) The whole ‘we’ll make the money back from shirt sales alone’ is simply a myth and not true. We get a fixed fee from Adidas, it doesn’t actually matter how many shirts we sell.

3) Zlatan was a free transfer, Ronaldo cost around £100 million.

Devil may care

Looks like board have being briefing that Money is not a problem.
People have been trying to spin this into a Glazers thing but I don't think it's ever been about money, if he asked for the £62M for Pulisic, he'd get it, if Leicester are willing to sell Maguire for £65M we'd do it IMO, but asking for £50M+ for 30 year olds is not logical for the board, and understandably so.

Woziak

Few things:

1) We have no idea if Woodward is obsessed with Gareth Bale, and whether or not that has had any impact on our transfer activity thus far.

2) The whole ‘we’ll make the money back from shirt sales alone’ is simply a myth and not true. We get a fixed fee from Adidas, it doesn’t actually matter how many shirts we sell.

The Fee was £106M not £200M, ammortised ay £26.5M per year over a 4 year contract and the additional sponsorship deals would have helped, are you telling me if Ronaldo was resigned and the club could clearly afford him, you would be one of the 10% of United Fans that would not have welcomed him back with open arms. It certainly doesn't seem to have affected Juventus transfer policy in anyway, on the contray Sandro who Woodward aimlessly chased has decided to stay and play with Christiano !

Woziak

People have been trying to spin this into a Glazers thing but I don't think it's ever been about money, if he asked for the £62M for Pulisic, he'd get it, if Leicester are willing to sell Maguire for £65M we'd do it IMO, but asking for £50M+ for 30 year olds is not logical for the board, and understandably so.
Completley Agree with this statement, one of the most sensible on the thread and this was also the main reason the board were not interrested in Ronaldo age and fees!
That and a ridiculous chase for a 29 year old Gareth Bale with a questionably injury record !

Cee90

The Fee was £106M not £200M, ammortised ay £26.5M per year over a 4 year contract and the additional sponsorship deals would have helped, are you telling me if Ronaldo was resigned and the club could clearly afford him, you would be one of the 10% of United Fans that would not have welcomed him back with open arms. It certainly doesn't seem to have affected Juventus transfer policy in anyway, on the contray Sandro who Woodward aimlessly chased has decided to stay and play with Christiano !
I never said the fee was £200 million, I said it was around £100 million.

As much as I love Ronaldo and can appreciate him as a player, I honestly don't think signing Ronaldo would of made sense for United. That £106 million could (and should) be used elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure what point you're trying to make anyway, but if you think that signing Ronaldo would solve our problems then I think you're being a tad naive.

rotherham_red

It is not Mourinho’s job to sell the players. Maguire has seemingly only come up after the Alderweireld deal looking like it might not happen. Willian and Alderweireld walk into our team.

Alderweireld is one of the best defenders in the league. Barcelona were chasing Willian. These are players we need.
Come off it. He's the Brazilian Eboue, ffs. Averages 5 goals and even less assists per season during his time at Chelsea!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Completley Agree with this statement, one of the most sensible on the thread and this was also the main reason the board were not interrested in Ronaldo age and fees!
That and a ridiculous chase for a 29 year old Gareth Bale with a questionably injury record !
And I agree with this agree. Especially the Bale and Ronny parts.

My only issue is the way Jose talks about all this. He creates a lot of the mess with his inability to show an ounce of diplomacy,

Karappa

The way I see it Mourinho is preparing his exit. There is some point in open criticism if doing it internally doesn't work and you want to put pressure on certain players/people. BUT... he has been doing it way too often so it loses its value and if you're doing it to your superiors it can end in them just being fed up.

I think it's approaching that point because both sides can see this partnership isn't leading anywhere and a surprise turnaround shouldn't be expected out of nowhere. Jose's style is antiquated and even if he grinds out a minor title here or there people won't be thrilled about it. He won't adapt and just point at a lack of quality in the squad. At the same time as other competitors for the league title are strengthening their teams and spending a lot of money United seem unwilling to do that (I don't think the club isn't able to) at least for Mourinho's targets.

I would be surprised if he stays the entire season. After having seen his fallouts with players and higher ups at Real Madrid and during his second Chelsea stint it's pretty obvious where this is going. And if the same thing happens to him at two/three different locations, working with different people, it's save to assume that it's on Mourinho himself...

Morpheus 7

The market is different now, the club are taking in a fortune on TV deal, sponsorships and matchday revenue. If stingy Everton are paying 50m for Richarlison you know clubs have money. The Glazers are 100% to blame, they wouldn't pay for Perisic last year when we clearly needed him. They are holding out for a certain amount on players like Darmian instead of getting the real business done. This whole myth if your approaching 30 your finished is rubbish too, you need balance of player age and experience. There might not be much resale value but if it's what you really need, you buy it. The entire breaks on revamping Old Trafford was a warning for me. The apparent £300m that we were going to spend on the stadium was shifted to transfer budget? The Glazers still have some fooled in here. They want big names like a Bale to bring in revenue but won't spend on what the team need. This summer has been an absolute shit show, Jose basically confirmed that he asked for 5 targets and got 1 so far. Lee Grant and Dalot were hardly on that list. Jose can be called out for boring football and not getting the most out of players but not this window. Ed and the board have let the club down. It's more about salvaging something now in the nightmare. Campaign should be started up again to shift them Glazers, only want top 4 and shiny signings to make club marketable. Everybody knows we needed more to realistically win the title. We have to sell before we buy nonsense, time for fans to wake up and call it for what it is.

rotherham_red

Few things:

Also, Ronaldo and Jose fell out quite badly at Real. It was a non-starter, and it's bemusing to think it was ever even a possibility.

Cee90

Seriously?

Weren't you literally just now stating how perplexed you were that we didn't sign Ronaldo?

You're having a mare.

Cee90

Also, Ronaldo and Jose fell out quite badly at Real. It was a non-starter, and it's bemusing to think it was ever even a possibility.
I know.

To be honest, some of the posts we've been getting on here lately from new members seem to be written by 14 year olds.

I'm not having a go because everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but it's hard work at times.

Karappa

The market is different now, the club are taking in a fortune on TV deal, sponsorships and matchday revenue. If stingy Everton are paying 50m for Richarlison you know clubs have money. The Glazers are 100% to blame, they wouldn't pay for Perisic last year when we clearly needed him. They are holding out for a certain amount on players like Darmian instead of getting the real business done. This whole myth if your approaching 30 your finished is rubbish too, you need balance of player age and experience. There might not be much resale value but if it's what you really need, you buy it. The entire breaks on revamping Old Trafford was a warning for me. The apparent £300m that we were going to spend on the stadium was shifted to transfer budget? The Glazers still have some fooled in here. They want big names like a Bale to bring in revenue but won't spend on what the team need. This summer has been an absolute shit show, Jose basically confirmed that he asked for 5 targets and got 1 so far. Lee Grant and Dalot were hardly on that list. Jose can be called out for boring football and not getting the most out of players but not this window. Ed and the board have let the club down. It's more about salvaging something now in the nightmare. Campaign should be started up again to shift them Glazers, only want top 4 and shiny signings to make club marketable. Everybody knows we needed more to realistically win the title. We have to sell before we buy nonsense, time for fans to wake up and call it for what it is.
Looking at the last 5 seasons United have been second only to City in net spend, over the last 3 the same - both including this summer. The statement that the club isn't willing to spend simply isn't true.

As far as Mourinho's wish list goes, the names on there seem to have been entirely unrealistic targets. People like Neymar, Mbappe, Bale or Kroos, not a single one of them is even interested in leaving his current team and in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo it was the player who decided his next destination. People should accept he didn't want to return to United (which makes all the sense in the world from his point of view as he could have only failed there and the PL is way more competitive than the Serie A) and given his current style of play he wouldn't have been a good fit with Lukaku. And the moment Ronaldo left Real Madrid it was clear that Bale wouldn't leave/be available, too. In my opinion Mourinho's expiration date has been reached and his peak at United just wasn't as high as elsewhere. The club know he needs certain players for his style of play and as they can see and feel that he won't stay that much longer there's just no use in wasting money on "Mourinho style" players.

GBBQ

Few things:

I think this is just BS made up by the media who are trying to suggest that Woodward is doing his own thing that doesn't match Mourinho's ideas. Mourinho was on record last year saying he would be waiting to sign Bale if he wasn't in Madrid's plans.

Woziak

I never said the fee was £200 million, I said it was around £100 million.

As much as I love Ronaldo and can appreciate him as a player, I honestly don't think signing Ronaldo would of made sense for United. That £106 million could (and should) be used elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure what point you're trying to make anyway, but if you think that signing Ronaldo would solve our problems then I think you're being a tad naive.
The point is simple, whether the early signing was Ronaldo or another Marquee player, we needed to move earlier in this window to gain momentum, the £106M is not currently being used, now is it and the true cost after sponsorship would be more like £15M per year for the duration of the contract. Didn't Chevrolet also offer to pay part of the deal, Kohler's new deal of 20M per season would have paid the rest....the deal was a no brainer and would have given the club a significant lift. Only when he's scoring 50 goals again next season and wining Juventus tight games will it make sense.

We are bringing in more money each year and whilst I think Jose can create his own agenda out of any situation, we needed a major transfer signing for the club, after coming second in the Premier League and losing an FA CUP final to give the club a lift and a buzz again around Old Trafford!

My point is, Woodward and the Board should have been releasing some of that fan generated profit back into the club in the form of a transfer for a Top 5/10 World Class Player and I believe that 99% of United Fans would agree with me!

Son Of Sam

Ed Woodward is the new Ivan Gazidis...

The only time he wants United to spend like a big club is when the club drops out of top 4. The history is there for all to see.

Woodward & The Glazers don’t really have the ambition or aren’t driven enough to win the PL title. This is the most shambolic transfer window I have witnessed.

And it’s sad because it has happened after Jose took the club from 6th to 2nd position. We should be consolidating on that big jump and sign big players to take us to the next level.

kidbob

Obviously in no way a fan of Jose but the board can get fecked too. Give the manager a LB, CB and RW if that is what he wants. If we want to truly be able to assess Jose as a club then we should do it while giving him the platform he wants to perform. I refuse to believe we are in a position where we can't spend another 150 million to complete what Jose wants for the starting 11. If the board are starting to pull an Arsenal on it and are happy with top 4 then there's feck all any manager will do for us to make us real competitors unless by some miracle we produce another top generation of youngsters.

Bestietom

Mourinho will not leave until he wins the Premiership with us, and then expect his antics to get even worse.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Baffling isn't it. I mean, it's almost as if there is no evidence in his trophy-laden career to suggest that he can manage a squad. If he was crap at man-management, he wouldn't have achieved anything like the kind of success he has done. He creates an us-against-them, siege mentality which sees players take to the pitch who are willing to run through a brick wall for the guy. Think about his way of playing, his desire for an attritional game, the focus required - there is very little margin for error in his approach. It can't be achieved without total buy-in from the players. Which he has clearly had throughout his career. He's not obliged to put an arm around the shoulder of a player. He's entitled to ship them out in favour of brining in individuals who he believes are more likely to buy into his way of doing things. His job is to win.

Why said approach hasn't worked anything like as well at United is another question.
Because most of the players at the club are spineless. Majority on here have been complaining about said players since Fergie’s last season and through 2 other managers. Some of those players are still here whilst opposing managers have had backing to complete their own teams how they want them.

Cee90

The point is simple, whether the early signing was Ronaldo or another Marquee player, we needed to move earlier in this window to gain momentum, the £106M is not currently being used, now is it and the true cost after sponsorship would be more like £15M per year for the duration of the contract. Didn't Chevrolet also offer to pay part of the deal, Kohler's new deal of 20M per season would have paid the rest....the deal was a no brainer and would have given the club a significant lift. Only when he's scoring 50 goals again next season and wining Juventus tight games will it make sense.

We are bringing in more money each year and whilst I think Jose can create his own agenda out of any situation, we needed a major transfer signing for the club, after coming second in the Premier League and losing an FA CUP final to give the club a lift and a buzz again around Old Trafford!

My point is, Woodward and the Board should have been releasing some of that fan generated profit back into the club in the form of a transfer for a Top 5/10 World Class Player and I believe that 99% of United Fans would agree with me!
Not only are you making too many assumptions, what you're saying is that it was a 'no brainer' to sign Ronaldo, or another 'marquee' player right?

Yet a few minutes before in this very thread you said:

So here you are contradicting yourself, stating that you are aware why the board didn't pursue Ronaldo, and how going after Bale (a marquee player), was 'ridiculous'.

Did you have a brain fart, or did you forget to switch accounts or something when you were posting?

It can even be argued that going after 'marquee' players e.g. Falcao, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez, etc has hampered us in recent years. What happened to actually signing players that are the right fit for our team?

kerplun_k

While I understand his frustrations, it sounds like he is losing the plot. Some of the personal attacks on the players are unacceptable.

Bestietom

The board has come out and said they would back Jose and he does not have to sell players.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Obviously in no way a fan of Jose but the board can get fecked too. Give the manager a LB, CB and RW if that is what he wants. If we want to truly be able to assess Jose as a club then we should do it while giving him the platform he wants to perform. I refuse to believe we are in a position where we can't spend another 150 million to complete what Jose wants for the starting 11. If the board are starting to pull an Arsenal on it and are happy with top 4 then there's feck all any manager will do for us to make us real competitors unless by some miracle we produce another top generation of youngsters.
It's not that they don't have the money or want to spend it. The problem lies in the kind of players Mourinho wants - 30 years old, huge transfer fee, massive wages, no resale value and probably only good for Mourinho football when it seems he might leave sooner rather than later - versus what the board want to spend money on - younger talented players (if marketable a bonus for them).

Jazz

The board has come out and said they would back Jose and he does not have to sell players.
I hope that's not true. Shouldn't get a penny more and should sell. Our wage bill is going to be insane.

Hopefully Woody is just being sneaky.

Jazz

Mourinho will not leave until he wins the Premiership with us, and then expect his antics to get even worse.
He won't last that long. He will leave when we sack him so he gets his pay out.

Bestietom

I hope that's not true. Shouldn't get a penny more and should sell. Our wage bill is going to be insane.

Hopefully Woody is just being sneaky.
Mourinho has the backing of the board
Contrasting reports doing the rounds this morning with regards to Mourinho and United’s transfer strategy.

Earlier reports claimed the United boss is at loggerheads with Ed Woodward but The Guardian report he still has the full backing of the board and the hierarchy understand his frustrations regarding signings.

The report claims Mourinho has been told there are still finances to strengthen the squad and there’s no need for him to sell to fund a new signing.

Ivan Perisic and Harry Maguire are two of Mourinho’s targets as he looks to land his fourth signing of the summer.

Jazz

Mourinho has the backing of the board
Contrasting reports doing the rounds this morning with regards to Mourinho and United’s transfer strategy.

Earlier reports claimed the United boss is at loggerheads with Ed Woodward but The Guardian report he still has the full backing of the board and the hierarchy understand his frustrations regarding signings.

The report claims Mourinho has been told there are still finances to strengthen the squad and there’s no need for him to sell to fund a new signing.

Ivan Perisic and Harry Maguire are two of Mourinho’s targets as he looks to land his fourth signing of the summer.
LVG had the backing of the board as well. He offered to resign and they told him to carry on, and then they sacked him. Hence why I don't trust anything they say.

SirAF

Ageist
It's not that they don't have the money or want to spend it. The problem lies in the kind of players Mourinho wants - 30 years old, huge transfer fee, massive wages, no resale value and probably only good for Mourinho football when it seems he might leave sooner rather than later - versus what the board want to spend money on - younger talented players (if marketable a bonus for them).
:rolleyes:
Do you want to win the fecking league or not?

Jazz

:rolleyes:
Do you want to win the fecking league or not?
We're not going to win the league even if we get those players. Jose needs a re-think on his methods because they no longer work - that's the big problem. You can get him 10 over 30s and we still won't win the league.