Film Bob Marley: One Love

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
These music biopics always tend to be a bit terrible. Ray was one notable exception because Jamie Foxx is an absolute demon and they weren't afraid to tell a story that might reflect poorly on the subject.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Generally they are but I'm putting my faith in Kingsley Ben-Adir and the music.
I mean, it's rarely because of the main actors' performances that the genre is a bit shit. They usually just tend to end up imitating the public perception of whoever they're playing, which results in unbearable, annoying performances on the screen (Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody being the biggest culprit of this).

Anyway, the definitive biopic was made 16 years ago, it was called Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, and it's an absolute treat. It deconstructs the genre perfectly and is a wonderful watch.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I mean, it's rarely because of the main actors' performances that the genre is a bit shit. They usually just tend to end up imitating the public perception of whoever they're playing, which results in unbearable, annoying performances on the screen (Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody being the biggest culprit of this).

Anyway, the definitive biopic was made 16 years ago, it was called Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, and it's an absolute treat. It deconstructs the genre perfectly and is a wonderful watch.
You're speaking facts and I'm a huge Bob Marley fan so I'll definitely be critical. We'll see. Hopefully this is one of the rare instances where they get it right. Thanks for the recommend, I'll have a look tonight. Isn't this a comedy?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I watched a documentary on Bob Marley and came out of it thinking he was a bit of a womanizing jerk bag. Still like the music, though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You're speaking facts and I'm a huge Bob Marley fan so I'll definitely be critical. We'll see. Hopefully this is one of the rare instances where they get it right. Thanks for the recommend, I'll have a look tonight. Isn't this a comedy?
Yep! It's basically a parody of the genre, which is why it works very well. It has a lot of musical references from the 50s/60s/70s too.

RedRocket08

@Scarlett Dracarys I watched it last week with my wife and we really enjoyed it. It's feels part movie / part doco with all the great music in between and that was fine for me. Without spoiling too much I'd recommend watching it, but would say just go in without super high expectations, the plot's just a little shallow because you just can't cram an entire life story into 2 hours of screen time. Definitely one of the better movies I've watched in theatres recently though.

Last edited:

RedRocket08

Nothing about homophobia, although that's new to me as I wasn't aware that he actively discriminated against LGBTIQ people? A few things here and there about his infidelity, but nothing around the marital rape stuff Rita mentioned in her interviews/book. We went in to watch that movie knowing quite a bit of his history - but the movie had more to do with the music/politics in Jamaica at the time. It's a bit of a cookie-cutter biopic that's good enough for date-night in that sense, but that's as much as you'd expect.

RedRocket08

Hardly surprising (the homophobia part). My experience of Jamaican society was that they were very welcoming and open, but very homophobic. And that was only last year, it must've been way more so in Bob Marley's time.
True, I guess you do see a lot of that in developing countries especially as religion is quite entrenched into their lifestyles.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
@Scarlett Dracarys I watched it last week with my wife and we really enjoyed it. It's feels part movie / part doco with all the great music in between and that was fine for me. Without spoiling too much I'd recommend watching it, but would say just go in without super high expectations, the plot's just a little shallow because you just can't cram an entire life story into 2 hours of screen time. Definitely one of the better movies I've watched in theatres recently though.
I've been trying to get to the cinema for a while now. Hopefully I can watch it this weekend. I'm still very excited to see it regardless of how good or bad the acting is. I'm going for the music.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
My former “work wife” :) is from Jamaica and I asked her why didn’t she marry a Jamaican black fella; same race, same nationality (she married a white American guy).
She said “no way, they all playas”.
Conclusive proof right there.

RedRocket08

I've been trying to get to the cinema for a while now. Hopefully I can watch it this weekend. I'm still very excited to see it regardless of how good or bad the acting is. I'm going for the music.
Yeah the whole soundtrack and the placement of the music throughout the film was spot on - a lot of people at the cinema we were at were singing along to it, and that was quite nice because we went to one of those smaller cinemas for this one :)