Bobby Charlton talks youth

032Devil

"United are the best producers of youngsters in England.

I remember going to see Alex at the training ground a few years ago and was told he was out on pitch 11 or something. On the way over I saw this young lad weave past about three players and smash the ball into the top corner and thought ‘wow’. Alex told me ‘That’s young Ryan Giggs and we have just signed him this morning.’

I got exactly the same sensation watching us in the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals last season, only this time it was about defenders and midfielders. There were four or five of them and I remember thinking ‘wow’ again — I’ve never been so impressed.

I don’t know how other teams work, but we get our fair share of good players because of the way we work and the coaching staff we have attracts the best.”

Sounds good. For those of you in the know, who do you think Sir Bobby was raving about?

oskarutd

032Devil said:
"United are the best producers of youngsters in England.

I remember going to see Alex at the training ground a few years ago and was told he was out on pitch 11 or something. On the way over I saw this young lad weave past about three players and smash the ball into the top corner and thought ‘wow’. Alex told me ‘That’s young Ryan Giggs and we have just signed him this morning.’

I got exactly the same sensation watching us in the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals last season, only this time it was about defenders and midfielders. There were four or five of them and I remember thinking ‘wow’ again — I’ve never been so impressed.

I don’t know how other teams work, but we get our fair share of good players because of the way we work and the coaching staff we have attracts the best.”

Sounds good. For those of you in the know, who do you think Sir Bobby was raving about?
The team :
Zieler
Gray Cathcart Shawcross Lee
Mullan Hewson Gibson Rose
Campbell Evans, S

Cathcart and Gibson for sure,
Take a pick from the others.

We lost 0-1 to City, we were miles better, but needed more urgency and speed in our play.

032Devil

oskarutd said:
The team :
Zieler
Gray Cathcart Shawcross Lee
Mullan Hewson Gibson Rose
Campbell Evans, S

Cathcart and Gibson for sure,
Take a pick from the others.

We lost 0-1 to City, we were miles better, but needed more urgency and speed in our play.

Chalton's given some of them the "wow-factor", considering that who do you honestly believe will make it amongst that team?

oskarutd

032Devil said:
Chalton's given some of them the "wow-factor", considering that who do you honestly believe will make it amongst that team?
That´s at least very promising. Nothing is certain. Should we say biggest amount of first teamers since the class of ´92?

SpaceMatlock

Lots of good things were said of the youth team that won the cup in 2003 but of that team only Bardsley and Richardson have had any first team impact. Of course David Jones still stands a chance but many bright prospects like Blake just aren't getting the oppurtunity anymore.

Red17

032Devil said:
My bet is on Craig Cathcart, Darron Gibson, Kieran Lee, Danny Rose & Mullan.

Though I think the most promising of the batch is Johnny Evans although he wasn't playing that particular game - groin injury. And I think Campbell has all the attributes to be a top striker although it's notoriously difficult to predict how a striker will develop, especially in a top club like United. Giuseppe excepted :drool:

I'd go so far to say that individually, these named youngsters are a cut above the 2003 batch.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
SpaceMatlock said:
Lots of good things were said of the youth team that won the cup in 2003 but of that team only Bardsley and Richardson have had any first team impact. Of course David Jones still stands a chance but many bright prospects like Blake just aren't getting the oppurtunity anymore.
expectation has played some part in that. these players are expected to bed in instantly in todays game

oskarutd

SpaceMatlock said:
Eagles and Steele have also possibilities, McShane was in that team to. But all in all, 2-3 is pretty good.