Brasileirão 2020

Uniquim

Live standings here: https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/brasileirao-serie-a/

Where Can I Watch?
fanatiz.tv -- Picked up the rights worldwide it seems. Free trial for a week. 9.99USD monthly price.
You can also watch games in replay on there, whenever there's a game in the middle of the night.

Globo, SporTV in Brazil

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Brasileirao

A selection of players you might be familiar with: (Mostly players that have been to Europa at one point)
Keisuke Honda, Botafogo
Salomon Kalou, Botafogo
Jô, Corinthians
Diego Alves, Flamengo
Filipe Luís, Flamengo
Rafinha, Flamengo
Gérson, Flamengo
Gabriel Barbosa, Flamengo
Pedro, Flamengo
Bruno Henrique, Flamengo
Paulo Henrique Ganso, Fluminense
Nenê, Fluminense
Wellington Silva, Fluminense
Pedro Geromel, Grêmio FBPA
Andrés d'Alessandro, Internacional
Paulo Guerrero, Internacional
Luiz Adriano, Palmeiras
Ramires, Palmeiras
Felipe Melo, Palmeiras
Juanfran, São Paulo
Alexandre Pato, São Paulo
Dani Alves, São Paulo
Fredy Guarín, Vasco da Gama

Young Players to watch: (Will add more)
Gabriel Veron (2002), Palmeiras
Talles Magno (2002), Vasco da Gama
Kaio Jorge (2002), Santos
Patrick de Paula (1999), Palmeiras
Gabriel Menino (2000), Palmeiras
Luis Henrique (2001), Botafogo
Miguel Figueira (2000), Goiás
Johnny Cardoso (2001), Internacional

Links (Team name links to portuguese twitter. Other links in English)
Atlético Goianiense - Twitter (Unoff.)
Atlético Paranaense
Atlético Mineiro
Bahia EC
Botafogo FR
Ceará
Corinthians
- dugout
Coritiba FBC
Flamengo
- dugout
Fluminense
Fortaleza
Goiás EC
- dugout
Grêmio FBPA - Twitter EN
Internacional
Palmeiras
Red Bull Bragantino
Santos
- dugout
São Paulo
Sport Recife
- dugout
Vasco da Gama - dugout

Copa do Brasil | Fourth Round (Games to be played Sep 16+17 and second legs Sep 22+23+24)
Botafogo v Vasco da Gama
Fluminense v Atlético-GO
Brusque v Ceará
Ponte Preta v América-MG
Juventude v CR Brasil

*Brusque is a Série C team.

Following teams enter in the Round of 16 / 5th Round:
Palmeiras, Flamengo, Grêmio, Santos, Atlético Paranense, Corinthians, Internacional, São Paulo, Fortaleza, Bragantino, Cuiabá

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

NYAS

That was a shit first half from my perspective as a Flamengo supporter. Having more fun watching Nacional V Peñarol than seeing GdA and Bruno Henrique miss open goals against a Sampaoli side.

Nicolarra90

That was a shit first half from my perspective as a Flamengo supporter. Having more fun watching Nacional V Peñarol than seeing GdA and Bruno Henrique miss open goals against a Sampaoli side.
Bruno seems off, and gabigol always receiving back to the goal. Hope a better 2nd half.

Uniquim

I'm a Flamengo supporter too!

But yeah, it wasn't a great half. They didn't look that great in the Carioca either. i.e. the game against Boavista-RJ they were trailing 1-0 and only turned up the tempo in the last couple of minutes to turn it around.

I'm sure they'll get going soon. With Jesus was still around, but excited to see what Torrent does with the team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Looking forward to Gremio tonight. Live footy between 11pm & 1am. Can't beat it!

Excited to see M.Henrique play again. With Everton leaving for Benfica I can see Gremio struggling tonight.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wow, I had no idea Honda was playing in Brazil! Legend

NYAS

That was the most infuriating Flamengo game I’ve seen since Goias away last year when they basically went into the Amazon and Michael equalised (for them) in the last minute.

- Felipe Luís with the most ridiculous own goal.

- Raphael Claus, the king of São Paulo referees, gets assigned a game against the biggest Rio team, at the Maracana, no less. What happens? As expected; Gérson gets hacked down every 2 minutes in midfield...play on.

- I was skeptical of the Domenec Torrent appointment from the beginning: he got the job literally because he followed Pep around as an assistant for years and when he got the NYCFC job, was bang average at it; meanwhile we had Leonardo Jardim apparently ready and willing to come to Rio and yet we go with Pep’s number 2. I know it’s early but I highly doubt it’s going to work out well.

Palmeiras or Grêmio for the title this season in my opinion.

@Uniquim @Nicolarra90

NYAS

@Uniquim Might want to add to the opening post:

Young talents to watch:
Gabriel Veron
Talles Magno
Kaio Jorge

Yagami

Good post resistant
Damn, M.Henrique isn't even in the squad tonight. I wonder if he'll be getting a European move soon.

I also forgot Leo Sena plays for Atletico Mineiro now. I'll have to keep a look out for their games, too.

Uniquim

Gérson, Flamengo
Gabriel Barbosa, Flamengo

What happened with these guys, weren't they highly rated?
Gérson was linked to both Spurs & Chelsea just a month ago, but he said he wanted to stay at Flamengo.
"After a year with Flamengo, I can promise that I never spoke with another club. My focus is totally on Flamengo," he told Globo Esporte.
"I feel at home, I am happy, I am wanted and I am at a club that is on the level of European sides.
"We can't shut doors, football shows this, but today I am very happy and fulfilled to be in the club of my heart.
"I rediscovered myself here and I want to win yet more trophies in this shirt."

Barbosa didn't work out at Inter. He never got going, didn't get that many chances. He only played 111 minutes.
There were managerial changes in the midst of it too. There's an article by an Inter fan here if you're interested.

He was linked to a bunch of big clubs, including United before Flamengo made the season-long loan permanent in January.
He's adored in Rio, but will likely move back to Europa at some point. He's quoted saying to Gazeta Esportiva:
“The opportunity to go back to Europe will come when the time is right for me and for Flamengo,”
“Right now I feel that I’m much more prepared to face the professional and personal challenges of moving to another country.
“Jorge Jesus helped me a lot in regards to my way of thinking and playing. With greater knowledge and maturity I was able to become a more complete player who makes decisions for the benefit of the team.” He also admitted receiving several proposals from Europa before deciding to stay at Flamengo.

pascell

Gérson was linked to both Spurs & Chelsea just a month ago, but he said he wanted to stay at Flamengo.
"After a year with Flamengo, I can promise that I never spoke with another club. My focus is totally on Flamengo," he told Globo Esporte.
"I feel at home, I am happy, I am wanted and I am at a club that is on the level of European sides.
"We can't shut doors, football shows this, but today I am very happy and fulfilled to be in the club of my heart.
"I rediscovered myself here and I want to win yet more trophies in this shirt."

Barbosa didn't work out at Inter. He never got going, didn't get that many chances. He only played 111 minutes.
There were managerial changes in the midst of it too

He was linked to a bunch of big clubs, including United before Flamengo made the season-long loan permanent in January.
He's adored in Rio, but will likely move back to Europa at some point. He's quoted saying to Gazeta Esportiva:
“The opportunity to go back to Europe will come when the time is right for me and for Flamengo,”
“Right now I feel that I’m much more prepared to face the professional and personal challenges of moving to another country.
“Jorge Jesus helped me a lot in regards to my way of thinking and playing. With greater knowledge and maturity I was able to become a more complete player who makes decisions for the benefit of the team.” He also admitted receiving several proposals from Europa before deciding to stay at Flamengo.
Thanks for the insight, I remember Barbosa moving to Inter and then Benfica, hopefully they both fulfil their potential, they both seem pretty settled where they are now which is good.

Nicolarra90

@NYAS
Bad game, last 20 mins were a disaster.
Really skeptical of Torrent too.

Hopefully just a bad start

Uniquim

That was the most infuriating Flamengo game I’ve seen since Goias away last year when they basically went into the Amazon and Michael equalised (for them) in the last minute.

- Felipe Luís with the most ridiculous own goal.

- Raphael Claus, the king of São Paulo referees, gets assigned a game against the biggest Rio team, at the Maracana, no less. What happens? As expected; Gérson gets hacked down every 2 minutes in midfield...play on.

- I was skeptical of the Domenec Torrent appointment from the beginning: he got the job literally because he followed Pep around as an assistant for years and when he got the NYCFC job, was bang average at it; meanwhile we had Leonardo Jardim apparently ready and willing to come to Rio and yet we go with Pep’s number 2. I know it’s early but I highly doubt it’s going to work out well.

Palmeiras or Grêmio for the title this season in my opinion.

@Uniquim @Nicolarra90
Yeah, I was excited about Jardim too. Think he was Jesus' suggestion too.
Carlos Carvalhal was apparently approached too, but went with Sporting Braga.

I read some discussion on Torrent on reddit, apparently he had New York City playing their best football. Not that they've been a club for very long, but he's barely had time to prepare for this game, so hopefully he'll turn it around.

Palmeiras & Grêmio are good bets to win. Still think Flamengo should be in the mix.

Damn, M.Henrique isn't even in the squad tonight. I wonder if he'll be getting a European move soon.

I also forgot Leo Sena plays for Atletico Mineiro now. I'll have to keep a look out for their games, too.
Kind of hoping Matheus Henrique stays on for another year. Think that would be good for him too. He still gives away some unnecessary fouls and cards a bit too often.
He's great to watch though. Slotted in nicely after Arthur left. Wonder who in Europe will pick him up. He's quite similar to Arthur in a lot of ways.

If you don't mind me asking, are you Brazilian, @Uniquim ?
Nope, just enthusiastic about Brazilian football!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Kind of hoping Matheus Henrique stays on for another year. Think that would be good for him too. He still gives away some unnecessary fouls and cards a bit too often.
He's great to watch though. Slotted in nicely after Arthur left. Wonder who in Europe will pick him up. He's quite similar to Arthur in a lot of ways.
I agree with all that. He reminds me of a midfield version of our Rafael in the way that, despite his size, he gets stuck in.

Like you, I can't help but get Arthur vibes off of him either. The way he turns under pressure, and by just being very press resistant in general reminds you of him. I would've loved to have seen them two together for Gremio. It'll probably happen one day for the national team anyway.

I've seen rumours of the likes of Barca, City and Ajax being interested in him. He definitely fits that possession based style all 3 teams try to play. I'd love him here at United, myself!

Nope, just enthusiastic about Brazilian football!
Cool!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gerson looked a mountain of a player (in a good way) in the few matches I’ve seen him. How good is he?

How is Honda doing?

pascell

I forgot to ask you @Uniquim what happened with Gerson at Roma, was it too much too soon given he was still very young? I'm sure he was heavily linked with United at the time too that he moved to Roma.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Other exciting talents to watch : Patrick de Paula, Gabriel Menino (both Palmeiras).

The league has been having an influx of foreign managers now, after the success of Jesus and Sampaoli, and the football is much more watchable now

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I forgot to ask you @Uniquim what happened with Gerson at Roma, was it too much too soon given he was still very young? I'm sure he was heavily linked with United at the time too that he moved to Roma.
He didn't do badly. Right now Flamengo has resources to purchase 10M-25M players, its the only team with financial power in Brazil.

The italian teams are a bit defensive and played him as a winger orn 3rd midfielder, whereas Jorge Jesus shift him as a center midfielder and he started doing much better

Yagami

Good post resistant
Same. His career went a bit weird after his AC stint. He's also managing Cambodia!
Wow, that came out of an even bluer blue than the fact he was playing in Brazil! :lol:

You're right about the Milan part. I was really hoping he'd do well there and show he could hang at a top club/the top level, but it just didn't pan out.

I always enjoyed watching him and Kagawa together for Japan, too. Like Honda, it's a shame Shinji's career kinda took a weird turn when they both should've been in their prime, but I digress!

Uniquim

I didn't watch him much with Roma, but what @paraguayo said mirrors what I've read about his time there. I reckon they moved him around the field a bit because they had Nainggolan, Lorenzo, Pellegrini, Strootman and De Rossi ahead of him in the midfield positions. Apparently showed promise there, but not consistently. Think it would've worked out better if he had a fixed position, as he have with Flamengo. I read somewhere he was played out of position 3/5ths of his time on the field with Roma.

Gerson looked a mountain of a player (in a good way) in the few matches I’ve seen him. How good is he?

How is Honda doing?
Gerson have been impressive for Flamengo. Feel like he could've carved himself out a place in both Spurs & Chelsea who were interested, given he got to play in his favoured position, and given some time to settle in. Difficult thing about the Premier League is whether players would adapt to the tempo and physique. Also, I think Gerson thrives off the rhythm of playing every week, which would be difficult to get the first 6 months in Europe. I think he could do well under the right circumstances and with the right manager. But he's a solid player.

In any case, he stated he wanted to stay at Flamengo amid interest from Spurs & Chelsea, and his quotes afterwards were very warm towards Flamengo, saying 'I am very happy and fulfilled to be in the club of my heart. I rediscovered myself here and I want to win yet more trophies in this shirt."

Other exciting talents to watch : Patrick de Paula, Gabriel Menino (both Palmeiras).

The league has been having an influx of foreign managers now, after the success of Jesus and Sampaoli, and the football is much more watchable now
I'll add them both!

Completely agree about the football being more watchable. There were some barren years there where there were a lot of 0-0s and 1-0s.
Think it was 2017 that ended with 117 games with 1 or fewer goals scored. 91x1-0 games! And Corinthians won the league with 50 goals total. :/

NYAS

I love Patrick de Paula, can’t believe I forgot about him in my post :drool:

Uniquim

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/sports/soccer/atletico-madrid-champions-league-renan-lodi.html

New York Times article on Trieste FC, who scours the country for young players to sell on to elite clubs as early as possible, with a sell-on fee attached. Says Atlético Paranaense used to have first right of refusal on their players, now Flamengo does. And that over 100 players from Trieste are on the books of professional clubs now, mostly youth players. Article in relation to Renan Lodi's transfer to Atlético Madrid, which produced a $5.6 million payday for Trieste. Thought it was an interesting read.

It's great that they scout remote parts of the country for talent, so that players from those regions have a greater chance at success too, but it seems all of it is purely a financial project for Stival. "It's very quick here: Every day that they spend with us is a cost to us" is some quote.

Seems to work quite well though, with a total of 60 players having moved to Atlético Paranaense, and 30 to Flamengo.
Other than Renan Lodi, some of the players to have moved through Trieste includes Léo Pereira (Flamengo), Marcos Guilherme (Internacional) and Lucas Halter (Atlético Paranaense)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do you guys think Gabigol can come back to Europe? From what I’ve seen he seemed a step too slow for Europe but his goal tally last season was brilliant in Brazil. Though he had a poor Libatadoras final until the 90th minute :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah, I was excited about Jardim too. Think he was Jesus' suggestion too.
Carlos Carvalhal was apparently approached too, but went with Sporting Braga.
It's only the first round, Flamengo will be battling for the title for sure. The appointment was not bad: Torrent is actually someone who knows a lot about the game, but in the end of the day the manager leadership style must be suite to the personalities on the squad.

Fun fact about Carlos Carvalhal: he was actually the best of his graduation class ahead of Mourinho, and even Mourinho himself said Carvalhal was probably the best of the bunch back in the days of college. Just to show how sometimes luck/leadership can influence a career.

But IMHO you had Marcelino Toral available, which is a manager who plays pressing + attacking football and I think deserves a chance on a top club, which somehow never happened so far.

Uniquim

It's only the first round, Flamengo will be battling for the title for sure. The appointment was not bad: Torrent is actually someone who knows a lot about the game, but in the end of the day the manager leadership style must be suite to the personalities on the squad.

Fun fact about Carlos Carvalhal: he was actually the best of his graduation class ahead of Mourinho, and even Mourinho himself said Carvalhal was probably the best of the bunch back in the days of college. Just to show how sometimes luck/leadership can influence a career.

But IMHO you had Marcelino Toral available, which is a manager who plays pressing + attacking football and I think deserves a chance on a top club, which somehow never happened so far.
Oh yeah, I completely agree. I was excited about Jardim, but as I wrote elsewhere in here, I'm excited to see what Torrent can do. What I read about his time with New York City was encouraging.

I believe what he said in the post-game presser about rhythm too, that Flamengo has not played a competitive game for almost a month, whilst Atlético Mineiro have been playing regularly, most recently just 5 days before the Flamengo game. Only thing I'm worried about is how long it will take Torrent to implement the new ideas, and how smoothly that period will be. He talked a bit about not having a lot of time to work with the players yet, when he was talking about the team becoming disorganized in the second half. I think Flamengo will among the frontrunners this season too.

I didn't know that about Carlos Carvalhal! I loved tidbits like that. Luck and leadership will definitely have a big say. Personally, I think man management is the most important factor to success as a manager. Mourinho used to be quite good at that earlier in his career.

Didn't even think about Toral tbh. He did really well with Villarreal.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Oh yeah, I completely agree. I was excited about Jardim, but as I wrote elsewhere in here, I'm excited to see what Torrent can do. What I read about his time with New York City was encouraging.

I believe what he said in the post-game presser about rhythm too, that Flamengo has not played a competitive game for almost a month, whilst Atlético Mineiro have been playing regularly, most recently just 5 days before the Flamengo game. Only thing I'm worried about is how long it will take Torrent to implement the new ideas, and how smoothly that period will be. He talked a bit about not having a lot of time to work with the players yet, when he was talking about the team becoming disorganized in the second half. I think Flamengo will among the frontrunners this season too.

I didn't know that about Carlos Carvalhal! I loved tidbits like that. Luck and leadership will definitely have a big say. Personally, I think man management is the most important factor to success as a manager. Mourinho used to be quite good at that earlier in his career.

Didn't even think about Toral tbh. He did really well with Villarreal.
The match overall was not bad: Flamengo made a very solid first half and could had easily gone to half time leading. Second half was a very different match because they didn't delivered enough give&go movements to disrupt the opposition defense on the second half and the game stalled a lot.

Mourinho was a great man manager, but his style does not fit the newer generations: authoritarian leaders are not well accepted by the incoming players. For older generations this style was great because players behaved a lot like big kids (sneaking out at night every time they could, trying to skip training, etc) and needed some authority.

The Marcelino was a good fit IMO because him and Jesus share a lot in common: similar tactical systems with 4x4x2ish with fast paced football and high pressing and similar characters, and Marcelino is a manager that usually players that worked with him sees him as a great manager and a close friend and will give 100% for him. His sacking from Valencia was out of the blue and caused a big stir, but it was expected by the media due to him being very vocal about the club's transfer policy.

Uniquim

The match overall was not bad: Flamengo made a very solid first half and could had easily gone to half time leading. Second half was a very different match because they didn't delivered enough give&go movements to disrupt the opposition defense on the second half and the game stalled a lot.

Mourinho was a great man manager, but his style does not fit the newer generations: authoritarian leaders are not well accepted by the incoming players. For older generations this style was great because players behaved a lot like big kids (sneaking out at night every time they could, trying to skip training, etc) and needed some authority.

The Marcelino was a good fit IMO because him and Jesus share a lot in common: similar tactical systems with 4x4x2ish with fast paced football and high pressing and similar characters, and Marcelino is a manager that usually players that worked with him sees him as a great manager and a close friend and will give 100% for him. His sacking from Valencia was out of the blue and caused a big stir, but it was expected by the media due to him being very vocal about the club's transfer policy.
Yeah the first half was good. Flamengo just needed to convert their chances at the other side of the pitch too. Still up in arms over this chance:

If this had gone in, I feel like Flamengo would win the game, because Mineiro didn't create that much, although Flamengo got caught out with the offside goal. Arrascaeta had several chances to score as well. Attack not converting happens a lot when they've not played regularly for a while. I know they played a friendly against Olaria (9-0) to prepare for the league opener, but I think better opposition would've been better.

In the second half Flamengo had 5 attackers, and Arão alone in the midfield. There was plenty of possession, but it didn't work at all. Torrent himself said he did it to win the game. Think games like this will be won once Flamengo is back in rhythm and the final deliveries and runs start to click again.

Does sound like Marcelino could've been a good option. I remember Villarreal being a good team to watch when he was there, but I don't really remember much of his time at Valencia. Any idea why Marcelino haven't been back into management since? Would be nice to get another European manager in the Brasileirão.

From your description he sounds like he has a lot of the same attributes as Jesus, who seemed to be very well liked by the players at Flamengo. Kind of excited to see how he does at Benfica, and to see Cebolinha playing there.

Uniquim

So, since there aren't that many english sources (I'll add some more of those that exist to the OP soon) for the Brasileirão I figured I'd post some news updates now and again, if people are interested in that. Might become a bit Flamengo-heavy, but I'll try to put news from a variety of teams. Let me know if you like this initiative or not. Or if there are any clubs people are extra interested in.

News Updates

* CBF announces new protocols for Covid-19. This includes increasing the number of tests per club. All registered players will have to test themselves 72 hours before games, and results for home teams must be filed within 24 hours of game start. 12 hours for visiting teams. Hopefully that means there won't be more games cancelled 15 minutes before game start, as was the case with Goiás v São Paulo.

At least 158 players have tested positive for the virus. Atlético Mineiro and Bragantino have the lowest number of cases. Corinthians tops the ranking with 23 positives, Goiás with the 9 cases recorded at the weekend, follows second with 21 cases.

* @Yagami: Grêmio players Jean Pyerre & Matheus Henrique are both expected to return for the game against Ceará. Both trained yesterday. Victor Ferraz and Guilherme Guedes will miss the game through injury.

*Goiás have booked a flight, but is waiting on Covid tests before embarking their journey to Coritiba for their game against Athletico PR. Goiás recently had 9 positive tests, which led to the postponement of their game against São Paulo 15 minutes before kick off. I think realistically, we should expect the game to postponed.

*PGFN (General Attorney's office for the National Treasury) filed a lawsuit to the Federal Court against Cruzeiro over unpaid taxes. Depending on the outcome, the club could face foreclosures.

Transfer Stuff
* Grêmio irritated that interest in Everaldo was leaked, and the manager revealed that Grêmio are in the market for 2-3 attacking players to replace Cebolinha (Everton Soares), and André. The transfer window closed on monday. Free agents can still be signed. Not sure about loans. Next transfer window opens October 13th. They've signed ex-Cruzeiro player Robinho (32, not the City one) on a free transfer today.

*São Paulo snaps up Sport Recife youngster Pedro Lucas on a free. Sport will retain 40% of the economic rights. The defender will sign a 4-year deal.

*Jorge Jesus' Benfica interested in Flamengo players. Portuguese media are saying that Benfica wants Léo Pereira.

* Highly rated Flamengo youngster Caio Roque looks likely to leave for Lommel SK in Belgium which is a club in the City Football Group. The transfer fee is undisclosed, but Flamengo will retain some of the financial rights, meaning they'll receive parts of a future transfer for the player. AC Milan had also shown interest in the player.

*Internacional completed loan deal for Hoffenheim defender Lucas Ribeiro. Loan deal will run until the end of 2021. Ribeiro is a replacement for Bruno Fuchs, which Internacional expects to sell in the coming days. Fuchs deal to Lille seems to be all but announced.

*Bragantino signs Jan Hurtado on loan from Boca Juniors. Comes with a $5.5million option to buy. The club also announced the loan signing of Lucas Evangelista from Nantes the other day. Evangelista was previously on trial at Manchester United. News at the time said United wanted to exercise their buy option, but work permits made it difficult.

* Grêmio & São Paulo are discussing a swap deal for Éverton (Cardoso da Silva - São Paulo) and Luciano (Grêmio). Luciano did not travel with Grêmio for Ceará game. Diniz big fan of Luciano after their time together at Fluminense.

Last edited: