Brazil Argentina...... Abandoned

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Because 4 players tried to get away with flouting the quarantine rules. Beggars belief. The coach said "At no time were we told they couldn't play"! How arrogant to believe the rules didn't apply to them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I wouldn't be surprised if the UK being in the quarantine list was Brazil applying reciprocal treatment, be it to the general rule or specifically once they heard about the whole red list bollocks: they are missing 9 EPL players that turned down call-ups. Acting at the game sure isn't about sanitary requirements but elementary shithousery.

I remember post 9-11 some no mark judge from a god-forsaken Brazilian province was pretty miffed at having his fingerprints taken after a trip to the US. Upon return he ruled all Americans arriving should also be treated like criminals and have photos and fingerprints taken. Don't ask me how it's possible, but that's how things work there, any random judge invoking jurisprudence can put stuff like this in motion overnight.

Of course, they didn't have the tech in place. Next day a cruiseliner arrives in Rio and day-trippers jumping off suffer 4 hour delays taking prints with ink and digital photos in a single booth with a borrowed Nikkon Coolpix. One was so fed up he raised the finger... and wound up in jail and missing the rest of his cruise.

Brazilian reciprocity at play 101 this.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I’m calling shit housery by Brazilian officials. Lineups were published an hour before the game and they knew these 4 players were in the country for 3 days before the match.
Agreed

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brazil did this on purpose. Like how they got the Copa America moved to Brazil at short notice. They were missing a couple of starters and this shit happens.

Pavl3n

Well, Argentinians clearly knew they were in the wrong. Especially since those players falsified their (?) documents on entry.
But the Brazilians pounced right on time. They knew and they waited for the right moment.

What a cheap move. Bailing 'the greatest footballing nation' because they miss a few players.

antohan

There's no bailout guys. Brazil are top with a perfect record and will qualify.

It's got nothing to do with the NT or Brazilian FA, this is classic Brazilian bureaucracy flexing their muscles in public.

Fifawho? Who put us on a redlist again? They aren't going to go have a chat about their discontent with you, they will make their point in your face, full carnival style, with all the bells and whistles where possible.

antohan

There's already rumours that Conmebol may not allow Brazil to hold any more home games in Brazil. Goes to show it's nothing to do with the actual game but each side strong-arming the other with whatever they can resort to.

I do know that to this day a lot of Brazilians are incensed that FIFA got the federal police to deport Suárez. Think about that for a minute, what right do FIFA have to kick someone out of a country for biting a rival player?

They are big on all this sovereignty stuff, and quite rightly so, except the way they go about it is very much like a soap opera.

antohan

Then there's obviously the fact that on Tuesday (Independence Day) clashes are expected between pro and anti Bolsonaro crowds.

Nothing like a national pride shakedown and football the best way to get everyone talking about it.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I’m calling shit housery by Brazilian officials. Lineups were published an hour before the game and they knew these 4 players were in the country for 3 days before the match.
thats why they told them to quarantine on the hotel

RedStarUnited

The worst part about this? This involves Aston Villa players who went there knowing they will have to miss the premier league match vs Chelsea.

annoying!

RoyH1

The fallout from this is going to be spectacular. I understand the fury of the Brazilian authorities if it is indeed true that Argentinean players lied on their entry forms, but you never, ever, ever go on to the pitch once the game has started like that with the eyes of the world watching. Arrest them in the hotel beforehand, before kickoff or after the game starts.
I don't understand the arbitrary rules for travel bans either. The UK has a lower infection rate and higher vaccination rate than Brazil and I presume the Argentinean players are all vaccinated too

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Seems Argentina are at fault and Brazil exploited a situation to get the match abandoned.

It wouldn't have been hard for the authorities to check that the players had been in the UK and stop them at the border. It could have even been stopped an hour before the game when the line-ups were announced.

LARulz

Seems Argentina are at fault and Brazil exploited a situation to get the match abandoned.

It wouldn't have been hard for the authorities to check that the players had been in the UK and stop them at the border. It could have even been stopped an hour before the game when the line-ups were announced.
Exactly what I said before. Brazil took advantage of Argentina's stupidity

The only defence I might make is I read, not sure if true, there is some allowance for football matches but not sure if true

Ralaks

Stopping them at the border likely wouldn't have been an option though. They would be allowed to enter as long as they quarantined for 14 days upon entry, they should have been stopped when they left the hotel for the game / arrived at the stadium.

Fully behind the Brazil authorities on this one, at least the idea that they should be deported because they broke quarantine protocol. It's not the football federation or CONMEBOL's decision, it's the local health authorities.

cyberman

The fallout from this is going to be spectacular. I understand the fury of the Brazilian authorities if it is indeed true that Argentinean players lied on their entry forms, but you never, ever, ever go on to the pitch once the game has started like that with the eyes of the world watching. Arrest them in the hotel beforehand, before kickoff or after the game starts.
I don't understand the arbitrary rules for travel bans either. The UK has a lower infection rate and higher vaccination rate than Brazil and I presume the Argentinean players are all vaccinated too
The authorities can go wherever they want to go to do their job?

RoyH1

The authorities can go wherever they want to go to do their job?
It's just a terrible look. Again. Why not prevent them from taking the field and arrest them in the dressing room. Or even better in the hotel before driving to the stadium? It just makes it look like they were waiting for the moment of maximum media exposure to further some kind of point or political agenda.

cyberman

It's just a terrible look. Again. Why not prevent them from taking the field and arrest them in the dressing room. Or even better in the hotel before driving to the stadium? It just makes it look like they were waiting for the moment of maximum media exposure to further some kind of point or political agenda.
Isn’t there a story of Argentina hiding them away in the changing rooms?
It is a farce.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I thought the EPL decided they wouldn't release any players?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Can't believe this would happen at such a high level of the game, at NATIONAL level at that.

Withnail

Brazil did this on purpose. Like how they got the Copa America moved to Brazil at short notice. They were missing a couple of starters and this shit happens.
Are you sure about that?

It's not as if they're in any danger of not qualifying. Also apparently the Argentina team refused to cooperate with the Brazilian authorities.

Timdbro

Because 4 players tried to get away with flouting the quarantine rules. Beggars belief. The coach said "At no time were we told they couldn't play"! How arrogant to believe the rules didn't apply to them.
Yeah, surely that’s a nonsense excuse given that the players lied on their entry forms

Oranges038

This is Sunday league stuff, games being called off last minute because the ref or the other team hasn't enough players. Just goes to show that incompetence goes right to the very top.

The blame lies with Argentina for not listening to the warning they were given and making sure they followed the rules correctly. Although it does in a way looked the Brazilian authorities wanted to make a statement by allowing the game to start and then putting a stop to it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You have to respect quarantine rules. I have no problems with this.

If anything the Brazilian health authorities should be lauded for not treating people differently.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I thought the EPL decided they wouldn't release any players?
They did, but Villa and Spurs came to a private agreement, the promise was that their players would not play all the games so it gave them time to come back and quarantine. The Argentinian coach had different ideas.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Is this a case of the Brazilian Government sports guys not talking to the Brazilian Government health guys? I used to work in airport security and occasionally you got the most mind boggling instructions that would be changed at the last minute.

Phil

Would be good if someone could list a timeline of the facts in this thread. Feels like people might not be forming opinions based off actual fact at the moment.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The worst part about this? This involves Aston Villa players who went there knowing they will have to miss the premier league match vs Chelsea.

annoying!
Should they even be allowed to travel back without quarantining in Brazil in the first place? I mean they would have to use some sort of transport and be in public at the airport which should probably be against the rules.

stevoc

It's South America so obviously the most dramatic course of action would be the one taken. :lol:

International Football probably should have been put on hold until the World gets to grips with Covid. But FIFA/UEFA/Conmebol need their money.

Bertie Wooster

It's South America so obviously the most dramatic course of action would be the one taken. :lol:

International Football probably should have been put on hold until the World gets to grips with Covid. But FIFA/UEFA/Conmebol need their money.
TBF, holding competitive qualifying games isn't just a cynical thing about money - any more than any of the other many sporting competitions still continuing during 2021. I know many fans hate international breaks - but many love the major Summer tournaments, and for those to happen qualifiers need to take place to decide who will be participating.

I can't see why international football should have to stop when all the club sides are still allowed to travel between countries for the European competitions; the Olympics / Paralympics / Winter Olympics still allowed to take place; Golf, Tennis, etc, allowed to play tournaments with people travelling from many countries to compete, etc. And society as a whole still allowed to jump on planes to go to other countries for work reasons or just on holidays, etc.

Things are getting to carry on in a way that tries to work within the 'new normal', I don't see why international football should have been stopped for a few years when all other world sports continue - other than it into being a handy argument for those who just dislike international football during the club season anyway.

RoyH1

Isn’t there a story of Argentina hiding them away in the changing rooms?
It is a farce.
If they really did that, it is like you say absolutely farcical.

Let's see the punishment. I bet if this had been let's say, Paraguay and Venezuela, they'd be kicked out of the WC qualifiers, but it being Brazil and Argentina they'll probably have massive fines and play stadium behind closed doors.

Bertie Wooster

If they really did that, it is like you say absolutely farcical.

Let's see the punishment. I bet if this had been let's say, Paraguay and Venezuela, they'd be kicked out of the WC qualifiers, but it being Brazil and Argentina they'll probably have massive fines and play stadium behind closed doors.
That's the kind of agenda type stuff you hear from ABU's about us benefitting from all the time. I'm always puzzled why I see similar used on here so much about big team / nation bias in other countries as it just adds credence to the 'United bias' claims from the ABU's.

I'm pretty certain they wouldn't have kicked any team out the qualifiers whoever was involved - and certainly not both, as, depending on the facts, one side is a lot more to blame than the other (either the side for 'wrongly' picking the players despite the clear arguments against; or, if that was deemed valid, the other side for 'wrongly' demanding they not pick players they were entitled to select).

After the investigation, the side most in the right should be given a 3-0 win. And, depending on just how much in the wrong the other nation are deemed to be, then a big fine or even potential points deduction could apply?

stevoc

TBF, holding competitive qualifying games isn't just a cynical thing about money - any more than any of the other many sporting competitions still continuing during 2021. I know many fans hate international breaks - but many love the major Summer tournaments, and for those to happen qualifiers need to take place to decide who will be participating.

I can't see why international football should have to stop when all the club sides are still allowed to travel between countries for the European competitions; the Olympics / Paralympics / Winter Olympics still allowed to take place; Golf, Tennis, etc, allowed to play tournaments with people travelling from many countries to compete, etc. And society as a whole still allowed to jump on planes to go to other countries for work reasons or just on holidays, etc.

Things are getting to carry on in a way that tries to work within the 'new normal', I don't see why international football should have been stopped for a few years when all other world sports continue - other than it into being a handy argument for those who just dislike international football during the club season anyway.
Well in the context of a pandemic International football is a bit more risky for spreading viruses as opposed to individual sports where athletes are a bit more isolated compared to a group of 25+ people who all jet off to different corners of the world to interact with 25 other people only to return a few weeks later to interact with the first group again. And there could be an argument to suspend all those other sports/competitions for a year also for the same reason to varying degrees, but they haven't and won't primarily because let's be honest £$£$£.

Bertie Wooster

Well in the context of a pandemic International football is a bit more risky for spreading viruses as opposed to individual sports where athletes are a bit more isolated compared to a group of 25+ people who all jet off to different corners of the world to interact with 25 other people only to return a few weeks later to interact with the first group again. And there could be an argument to suspend all those other sports/competitions for a year also for the same reason to varying degrees, but they haven't and won't primarily because let's be honest £$£$£.
But if you narrow it down to that then money - and for peoples frivolous enjoyment - is mostly the reason that so much has started back up when, from solely a 'stopping the spreading of covid' angle, we'd all still be better self isolating in homes and so many of these things not happening.

It's a valid point about individual sports maybe being treated differently than team sports. But, really, if stopping the spread of covid is still the priority, then only the 'essentials' should be happening and none of the sports / entertainment / traveling for holidays, etc, should be starting up. People shouldn't be competing in sports, certainly shouldn't be attending them. Shouldn't be going to pubs, concerts, festivals, on holidays, and many more things.

But, for the good of people's finances (businesses), and love of sport and entertainment, most of these have started back up in spite of all that. Including football - domestic, and continental club competitions. And people seemed happy enough with the Euro's taking place. Given all that still going on around the world in spite of covid, it seems strange to slate the world cup qualifiers taking place.

Daonico

I don't think international football should be suspended, I enjoy it, I just don't enjoy the constant breaks, speacially in covid times.
Make one big break with all the matches of the year played together... it will improve the flow of the NT teams (as it happens in tournaments), it will improve the flow of the leagues as they won't be interrupted every couple of months, it will reduce the chance of a player injured in the club/country affecting the country/club, and it certainly reduces all this covid stuff

stevoc

But if you narrow it down to that then money - and for peoples frivolous enjoyment - is mostly the reason that so much has started back up when, from solely a 'stopping the spreading of covid' angle, we'd all still be better self isolating in homes and so many of these things not happening.

It's a valid point about individual sports maybe being treated differently than team sports. But, really, if stopping the spread of covid is still the priority, then only the 'essentials' should be happening and none of the sports / entertainment / traveling for holidays, etc, should be starting up. People shouldn't be competing in sports, certainly shouldn't be attending them. Shouldn't be going to pubs, concerts, festivals, on holidays, and many more things.

But, for the good of people's finances (businesses), and love of sport and entertainment, most of these have started back up in spite of all that. Including football - domestic, and continental club competitions. And people seemed happy enough with the Euro's taking place. Given all that still going on around the world in spite of covid, it seems strange to slate the world cup qualifiers taking place.
If ending Covid was the absolute priority then yeah basically nothing should be happening. But life goes on and people need to make a living and get out of the house so it's understandable things are starting back up.

Bertie Wooster

If ending Covid was the absolute priority then yeah basically nothing should be happening. But life goes on and people need to make a living and get out of the house so it's understandable things are starting back up.
I know. That was my point as well. I was just extending it to the international game and saying it's strange to contradict what we're both saying to justify everything else starting back up by saying the international game shouldn't start back up due to covid not having gone away yet.