Break-in robbery at Lindelöf's house during Brentford game - Wife and kids at home

Matriac

Maja Nilsson Lindelöf posted on instagram that they had a break-in during the Brentford game. Her and the kids were home, but she managed to get them into a room they could lock before the burglars made it into the house. Writes that "they" are now in Sweden spending time with their families. Unclear at this point if this includes Victor or not. (If he asks for it the club will give him time for sure, but Victor and Maja might decide that he doesn't need to be away from matches since they feel safe with family.) Edit: As per tweets posted below, Victor is in Sweden with his family.

This sort of thing happens more and more often to footballers, targeting rich people when they expect nobody to be at home. Is there any reasonable way to combat this other than having every footballer have on-site private security at the time of matches/travels?

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Private security for every player during games is the only option. It'll be a hefty bill but top clubs are good for it I'm sure. This will keep on happening.

Nickelodeon

Similar thing happened with Cancelo a while back. Is this an extraordinary scenario or are break-ins in Manchester more common that I thought?

youngrell

Can’t imagine how it must feel. I’ve had a garage burgled and that felt like a big enough violation. Twats.

Trophy Room

My concern is that something like this could escalate into a more violent incident. SURELY clubs need to take this seriously? The police just don't have the funding or resources to tackle this.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Terrible experience, glad they are OK.

Out of interest, how much does 24/7 security cost?

Eurotrash

Don't know, but security during a game is a good start and should not break the bank.

BTW announcing your whereabouts on Instagram doesn't help.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Players need to start negotiating private security and clubs need to offer it otherwise I don't see a solution as criminal gangs know when the player won't be at home.

I don't think 24/7 security is necessary but just at the time when the players is away from home.

Other than that all you can do is build better dances, gates, have guard dogs and CCTV

Marwood

It's not a footballer problem guys. Anybody can get burgled. I've experienced it, I know others who have.

Chorlton is the worst area in the country for burglaries isn't it? So Manchester does have a problem.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's not a footballer problem guys. Anybody can get burgled. I've experienced it, I know others who have.

Chorlton is the worst area in the country for burglaries isn't it? So Manchester does have a problem.
Anyone can get burgled but some are more likely than others. Burglaries are mainly about oppurtunity and value of items that can be stolen.

It's public knowledge when footballers won't be home so I imagine gangs will use that knowledge as part of their plans.

For regular people you need to be careful who you tell about your holiday plans because there are people who will use that information to plan a break in.

CloneMC16

Understandable that he wants to stay with his wife and kids. It sucks for the team, but it is what it is.

TheReligion

Abusive
Interested to know why people feel clubs should fund security and not the players who make phenomenal amounts of money themselves?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This sort of thing happens more and more often to footballers, targeting rich people when they expect nobody to be at home. Is there any reasonable way to combat this other than having every footballer have on-site private security at the time of matches/travels?
If I were earning their salaries, I wouldn't think twice about it for peace of mind.

Marwood

Anyone can get burgled but some are more likely than others. Burglaries are mainly about oppurtunity and value of items that can be stolen.

It's public knowledge when footballers won't be home so I imagine gangs will use that knowledge as part of their plans.

For regular people you need to be careful who you tell about your holiday plans because there are people who will use that information to plan a break in.
You sure about that? Not just a case of it making the papers when it happens?

I've got a group of five mates say. I know for sure three of us have been broken into. Othera have had cars stolen, one mate got carjacked.

Not that I have any less sympathy, it's horrible and I'd guess the arses get away with it most of the time.

I am a bit surprised they don't make their places an absolute fortress.

Matriac

Interested to know why people feel clubs should fund security and not the players who make phenomenal amounts of money themselves?
It should just become a standardized "perk" they offer to the players. As a club they can negotiate better terms for agreements covering a number of houses, and organize with the security companies for when they need to be present, instead of each individual player having to find, negotiate and organize.

Especially because this is a risk they get from performing their job. And if players in England are (currently) more targeted than in other countries, then this perk would make players and their families feel better about moving to England.

Smores

Don't most of them live in the same area. You'd think they or the clubs would have patrolling private security.

Horrible for the family.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Lindelof really hasn't had it easy lately. Covid, sick kid, break in.

TheReligion

Abusive
It should just become a standardized "perk" they offer to the players. As a club they can negotiate better terms for agreements covering a number of houses, and organize with the security companies for when they need to be present, instead of each individual player having to find, negotiate and organize.
Why though?

If the players want private security they should pay for it themselves

CallyRed

There's a road in Hampstead, North London where it's known a fair few Spurs players live, and when they play away there's normally 2/3 security vans parked along the road with security guys patrolling up and down the road. Do wonder who pays for it

Classical Mechanic

Don't most of them live in the same area. You'd think they or the clubs would have patrolling private security.

Horrible for the family.
There are private security patrols in many parts of Cheshire. It depends where he lives I guess and I suppose they can't be everywhere at once.

Zoo

I follow her on Instagram, she’s quite a big personality in Sweden and posts a lot from that house. Gangs target footballers.

AussieDevil

You could probably spend 300k a year for a small team of 3 guards rotating to provide 24/7 surveillance. A weeks pay for some of these players seems worth it for life protection measures.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Feckin hell. I do not know how the players deal with security, but if it was me and I earned so much money, I would have bought or rented a house or apartment with walls outside and hired a couple of guards.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Similar thing happened with Cancelo a while back. Is this an extraordinary scenario or are break-ins in Manchester more common that I thought?
Why are there so many thugs in the UK?
The same thing happened in Paris to Di Maria last year. It happened to Otamendi in Portugal in December last year, and Smalling in Italy in April.

As has been mentioned in this thread; footballers are an easier target because 1. a lot of information is public, them/their wives are on Instagram frequently, and 2. they tend to target when players are playing matches away from their houses.

lex talionis

Thank God his wife and kid didn’t get hurt. They probably have an alarm system but that’s clearly not adequate. The player or the club should stump the cash for private patrol.